View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Soooooo...... I wonder if Kevin has really turned or if not, is he aware that someone is using his name and picture to bash BB?

Kevin Michaluk
    � 2 hours ago
    A beer would be perfect right about now to watch these dummies fork themselves into oblivion.

4 △ ▽
    SoB! I never read the comments. Now we know where some of our trolls went.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, lcjr, take99 and 2 others like this.
    08-14-13 08:03 PM
    kfh227, I didn't use any SEC filings for my calculations just the information from the Sizemore Investment Newsletter.
    08-14-13 08:05 PM
    Yes, I see your point, if Watsa used put options to hedge his position then ACB could be higher than $16.78 or even higher than $17. From the various articles I have read about him, he tends to hedge his overall portfolio with SPY options.

Great analysis. The only issue is that we don't know if and how often Prem used options to reduce has ACB. I won't be surprised if Prem protected his interest in BBRY by buying puts or selling in-the-money calls.
    kfh227 likes this.
    08-14-13 08:15 PM
    I would disagree that Prem Watsa would be buying more shares in the open market just yet.

He would have to receive firm commitments from his investing partners first. Also there are regulations when you already own 9.9% of the company, wouldn't he have to file SEC Form 13F? Also there are a myriad of other forms:

Securities and Exchange Commission Forms List
    Actually, he could ask the SECOND to not require 13Fs while he accumulates shares
    Probably wouldn't be allowed to keep it secret since he is a shareholder already.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 08:23 PM
    Just when you think you've heard it all...

Was reading a thread where some guy overheard a Fido rep dissuading a Q5 buyer. He/she told the consumer that BB's aren't that good, and that typing on those small keys can give you "knuckle cancer" :banghead:

Seriously, i don't think even '97 Apple had it this bad.
    08-14-13 08:38 PM
    Duck Confit with sauted new potatoes with fresh basil and Italian parsley from my garden and balsamic reduction......
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00000617.jpg
    bungaboy, lcjr, La Emperor and 9 others like this.
    08-14-13 08:43 PM
    Duck Confit with sauted new potatoes with fresh basil and Italian parsley from my garden and balsamic reduction......
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000617.jpg 
Views:	1143 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	192585
    Holly cow!! I already ate but could dig into that beautiful spread. Great job man!
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-14-13 08:51 PM
    Holly cow!! I already ate but could dig into that beautiful spread. Great job man!
    Thanks Lenny. One of my passions since my mother who is from the Champagne region of France (Reims) taught me to cook since I was very young :). Thanks Mom!!!

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 08:56 PM
    Yes, I see your point, if Watsa used put options to hedge his position then ACB could be higher than $16.78 or even higher than $17. From the various articles I have read about him, he tends to hedge his overall portfolio with SPY options.
    Fairfax currently uses swaps on Russell index to hedge their equity portfolio.... currently they are 109% hedged.

Powered by QNX
    08-14-13 08:58 PM
    Looks like we have a persistent suitor at bay.

Tech Entrepreneur Chan Pushes Again to Buy BlackBerry
    By Evelyn M. Rusli and Will Connors

Technology entrepreneur and investor Robin Chan said he isn’t giving up on BlackBerryBB.T +1.06% yet.

Chan says he and a buyout group sought to buy the company about a year ago but couldn’t muster enough funds and found resistance from the board. Now Chan says he’s at it again and has reached out to members of BlackBerry’s board.

Whether or not any discussions will lead to a credible offer is unclear. Chan doesn’t have commitments yet for the several billion dollars it would take to buy BlackBerry.

“We are in dialogue,” he told the Wall Street Journal on Wednesday. “I’ve been cautious, because I think it would require a drastic DNA change.”

A BlackBerry spokesman said, “We don’t comment on the proceedings of the board.”

Chan, an early investor in Twitter and Square and a founder of XPD Media Inc., an online games company acquired by Zynga, has long sought to buy the troubled smartphone maker. The company has value, he says, because there is a gap in the market: serving all the needs of business. And of all the players, he thinks BlackBerry’s popularity with professionals and its secure messaging network could fill that gap.

As BlackBerry’s stock crumbled in 2012, he began assembling a crew of technologists and BlackBerry enthusiasts to put together a bid.

The group, according to Chan, included former and current employees of AppleAAPL +1.82%, GoogleGOOG -1.30%, McKinsey and two private equity firms. Despite their affiliations, “they were all hardcore BlackBerry fans,” he said. While he got several “yeses,” his pitch also drew jeers. Several buyouts firms flatly turned him down, citing BlackBerry’s deteriorating fundamentals and the rising power of Apple and Google.

“A lot of people thought we were crazy,” he added.

That summer, Chan’s group was ready to approach Blackberry, which had recently promoted veteran Thorsten Heins to CEO. Chan, who was skeptical of Heins’ ability to turn BlackBerry into a mobile software powerhouse, turned directly to the board.

The group created a 33-slide presentation titled “Project BBX” for the board, which outlined how BlackBerry could remake itself as an enterprise software business. It argued that focusing on a consumer operating system — in the era of Apple vs. Google — made little sense. Instead, the group said BlackBerry should try to be the go-to-brand for businesses that needed software and security tools to adapt to the influx of employees carrying their own personal mobile devices for work. Under such a plan, the company’s network services business alone might be worth an extra $13 per share, according to the document.

At that point, the group had commitments of roughly $1 billion from wealthy individuals and institutions to pursue a bid. But talks never progressed very far. According to Chan, the board wanted to give the new CEO more time to turn the company around. The group also needed far more money to cobble together a compelling offer.

Today, BlackBerry’s position in the market has further eroded, as its rivals have gained strength. Chan believes it has lost momentum and stalled, while others have made more progress in the enterprise market.

But Chan says he thinks his main thesis still holds and that the company still has valuable assets. He also still believes that the company needs a management shake-up, including the ouster of Heins.

“The company has to rebuild and re-imagine themselves,” Chan said.

Tech Entrepreneur Chan Pushes Again to Buy BlackBerry - Digits - WSJ
    lcjr, m0de25, cjcampbell and 12 others like this.
    08-14-13 09:05 PM
    Now that was an interesting read!

Seems remarkable comments were made regarding BB could be the go to business for secure software. I know I've made those same comments several times here. Hmmmmmmmmm.
    Last edited by lcjr; 08-14-13 at 09:28 PM.
    08-14-13 09:12 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00000381_hdr.jpg

BEER

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 09:33 PM
    I've had that beer! Pretty good stuff.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    08-14-13 09:39 PM

Name:	IMG_00000617.jpg 
Views:	1143 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	192585
    Duck Confit is one of my favourite things to both eat and make. The cracklin that results from rendering the fat makes the process more than worth it alone!!
    jxnb, bungaboy and bigbadben10 like this.
    08-14-13 09:39 PM
    It is very interesting. The thing I am worried about is someone taking over BB and throwing BB10 away and starting a fork of android or some other madness. At this point I would however be completely fine if they finished the android VM and enabled native apps and then added an android app store. That would make sense as it may lose app revenue but it will increase device sales like nothing else. Interesting development but I worry about what direction BB will take if a sale goes through.
    08-14-13 09:40 PM

Name:	IMG_00000381_hdr.jpg 
Views:	565 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	192597

BEER

Posted via CB10
    Is it that time again?
    cjcampbell likes this.
    08-14-13 09:42 PM
    It is very interesting. The thing I am worried about is someone taking over BB and throwing BB10 away and starting a fork of android or some other madness. At this point I would however be completely fine if they finished the android VM and enabled native apps and then added an android app store. That would make sense as it may lose app revenue but it will increase device sales like nothing else. Interesting development but I worry about what direction BB will take if a sale goes through.
    I think somebody buying BB and ruining it is all our fears. While we each have our own thoughts on what we think BB should be doing, the last thing we want is for BB to be spliced up and sold off in pieces. Time will tell I guess.
    morganplus8, zyben and bungaboy like this.
    08-14-13 09:43 PM
    Is it that time again?
    I took a couple days off... It's my time now... lol That, and in less than 3 hours, I'm officially another year older so need to dull the pain
    08-14-13 09:44 PM
    I think somebody buying BB and ruining it is all our fears. While we each have our own thoughts on what we think BB should be doing, the last thing we want is for BB to be spliced up and sold off in pieces. Time will tell I guess.
    At least the guy there, who I know nothing about, seems, by what was quoted, to want BB to succeed as a standalone, just more focused.
    lcjr, meltbox360, m0de25 and 3 others like this.
    08-14-13 09:46 PM
    I took a couple days off... It's my time now... lol That, and in less than 3 hours, I'm officially another year older so need to dull the pain
    OMG!! Wishing before hand is bad luck but I won't be up in three hours. I'll jump on board sometime tomorrow along the highway and wish you a fantastic birthday. You're an awesome guy CJ so I hope you took tomorrow off to go have some fun.
    08-14-13 09:52 PM
    At least the guy there, who I know nothing about, seems, by what was quoted, to want BB to succeed as a standalone, just more focused.
    I know, his comments and ideas match mine and echos what I've repeated here throughout this thread. Amazing.
    08-14-13 09:53 PM
    OMG!! Wishing before hand is bad luck but I won't be up in three hours. I'll jump on board sometime tomorrow along the highway and wish you a fantastic birthday. You're an awesome guy CJ so I hope you took tomorrow off to go have some fun.
    Thanks lc... I appreciate it.
    Last edited by cjcampbell; 08-14-13 at 10:14 PM.
    08-14-13 10:03 PM
    I follow up a few days later. I'd love to dull the pain but have to do it with ibuprofen.
    08-14-13 10:18 PM
    I follow up a few days later. I'd love to dull the pain but have to do it with ibuprofen.
    The trick is, don't stop... lol.
    08-14-13 10:20 PM
    Another good read if not already posted...

MarketWatch.com
    08-14-13 10:24 PM
113,256 ... 17281729173017311732 ...