View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    Can we get another 4 or 5% on the SP today?
    08-13-13 04:03 AM
    Can we get another 4 or 5% on the SP today?
    I'll take another 10% actually.
    08-13-13 04:46 AM
    08-13-13 04:51 AM
    It won't be a premium for small shareholders who purchased this winter and spring in $15 to $18. Also those poor souls whose average cost is in the twenties well good luck.
    Prem Watsa will average down from his current average cost of $17 per share with a take under.
    Woah woah what? I'm new to stocks and I bought around 5K shares at an average of $16... my shares won't be sold at the premium price?! Someone explain this to me please!
    08-13-13 04:59 AM
    Woah woah what? I'm new to stocks and I bought around 5K shares at an average of $16... my shares won't be sold at the premium price?! Someone explain this to me please!
    He's just saying that if you bought in that range, you won't see much of a premium because that's what he thinks the offer would be.

You're shares will be sold at whatever the offer price is. For example, if the offer is $16/share, that's all you gonna get.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 05:14 AM
    And another one.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...uL08SWueLxdi6J

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-13-13 06:04 AM
    If you want Blackberry American companies you will have to offer fair market value or Canada will say no blackberry for you. I would rather see a partnership from a US company rather then a sale or going private as I believe in Blackberry products and services .

AIMCo Says Fund Would Consider Investing in BlackBerry - Bloomberg
    zyben and lennyvolvo like this.
    08-13-13 06:06 AM
    I think there will be no shortage of companies that will fund it to go private. The question is at what cost.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 06:08 AM
    "Sources familiar with the matter say the embattled company wants to strike a deal akin to the nearly $13 billion deal struck 15 months ago between tech giant Google and handset maker Motorola Mobility."

13 billion? what is that $23-26 a share?
    08-13-13 06:12 AM
    We are up 1.3% in PM.
    Touched $11/shr earlier.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 06:21 AM
    Hi folks !

Occasionally, I find this thread amazingly instructive.
    Not only about the stock fluctuations, but as the like "BlackBerry's diary".
    We all throw our dices (some of us have better control !) and speculate of what is going to happen.
    This day-to-day approach is feeding us with joys and pains, hopes and griefs but at the end of the day, it only describes what's happening well over the single speculative stock vision.

When you rewind 18 months ago, we were in the "bankruptcy" era. BB10 was DOA, $RIM was a "toxic stock" and the poll was reflecting somehow the opposite of its actual state. Of course, first answers to the OP were very doubtful against the idea I injected here : buying shares is a way to support a company. Not because what it will generate as such - we're not even a drop in the bucket - but because it claims with real and hard earned money our faith in the company future.

At this time, I had to backup my clownish idea with concrete scenarios, because I didn't want to be the guy who lead others to blind investment and substantial loss. I did had some bad nights when some throwed the towel, feeling they reached their stops (whatever their reasons were) and converted "paper loss" to real losses. While anyone has been warned of the risks and the very long term strategy, each lost penny was a pain to me.

One of the scenario was a buyout and we spent hundreds posts about it, mostly debating about the book value resulting in a consensus of $16-18 value. With all the BB10 platform release (Os, devices, management software, apps), I believe this value has to be raised at least to the $20 range, provided one still sees a future for BlackBerry and their range of products/services (V.S a strict "brand, patent and assets valuation").

I'm a French guy and my perception of the glorious finance (what made U.S.A companies so brilliantly powerfull, in the virtuous days) is not exactly as liberal ("free market", "jungle rules") as many of contributors here. I do think one of the biggest restraint for BlackBerry comeback has been the game played against their SP.

Still in the OP perspective, I do think they succeeded maintaining the company well above the waterline; they delivered, they sold somehow accordingly to their expectations, restructured the whole company and gave back some brightness to the brand. Not perfect, though. But in the real world of enterprise, some sway is always to be expected. BlackBerry is now "in working order" with competitive products ... but slightly chasing after time and pressure on all fronts. They are fighting against hundreds billions cap opponents in a duopoly 90% controlled market.

I do believe this is not "plan B", because there's no "plan B" IMHO.
    What we see now (I mean publicly advertised) has been exposed from day one by Thorsten Heins, as in "any option is possible, it's just not the right time now", before/after each E.R, public meeting or interview. My perception is that the two "news waves" (the leaked rumor last week then the committee build / Wastda resignation) has been orchestrated and planned for months now. Once again, I believe some have been fast endorsing the armchair CEO status: these guys and girls (Board and large shareholders) aren't partridges year. Just read their record track history.

What does it tell us ("me") ?
    1. So far, so good [please, give a round of applause]
    2. Objective valuation is around its best right now
    3. You can't chase after time eternally
    4. Money is the key
    and finally ...
    5. They are not alone in this situation ...

I've been throwing the idea lately that we might hear about MS. I don't believe this will take a form of a buyout, but I'm (gut) feeling that something is going to happen. Look at all the major announcements and how the "MS relationship subject" has been cleared from any discussion. I can't refrain to hear in my mind " ... time has not come, YET".
    I did mention my reserved feelings about the un-virtuous trading we went through; yes, I'm disgusted sometimes as I cannot split apart cold figures and workforce people (they paid a heavy tribute and those still here also deserve their round of applause for their commitment in this freaking environment). But sorry, I believe it would be tougher if BBRY goes private, there's a critic scale to reach and a static $20 billion cap is not IMHO the best option.

Right now, my dream [where 100% speculation starts] ?
    Co-brand Enterprise solutions (BES 10) with MS. Start with office365. Let MS inject some money (cap raise + patents licensing - elliptic cryptography ? - ) and others (Wastda, CAN funds) abound. It's time to league, grow and strike-back. Hard. With time, money and a giant (MS) backup. By doing so, they would implicitly enroll the whole Windows8 family aboard, extending the cross-platform (iOs, Android) BBM to the universal level.
    Just step back and imagine where the SP will be instantly.
    Oh, yeah, call me a dreamer ... I am.
    And I'm glued to my shares.
    ... unless an apple worm get involved. Then I'm out -sorry- the next second.

SF.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 08-13-13 at 07:18 AM.
    08-13-13 06:22 AM
    BlackBerry is not Nokia. It still has unique and valuable assets

ERIC REGULY
    ROME — The Globe and Mail

Published Tuesday, Aug. 13 2013, 5:00 AM EDT
    Last updated Tuesday, Aug. 13 2013, 5:56 AM EDT

BlackBerry is not Nokia. It still has unique and valuable assets - The Globe and Mail
    BlackBerry is unique and highly desirable. Its chances of survival, albeit in the hands of another player, range from good to excellent. Anyone who bets that BlackBerry will not be blessed with a bidding war because its market share is embarrassingly small after six years of relentless erosion stands to leave a few bucks a share on the table.
    08-13-13 06:23 AM
    Anyone on here having any deep understanding of the patents that BlackBerry holds?

One analyst last night made the argument that they are BlackBerry specific as opposed to being general tech patents, thus making them far less valuable than some think they are.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 06:29 AM
    Then came Edward Snowden, the exiled former U.S. National Security Agency contractor, now a guest of the Russian government, who blew the whistle on the American government’s mass surveillance programs. The scandal reminded just about everyone that protecting your e-mail, mobile phone conversations and Internet browsing history from electronic eavesdropping is practically impossible.

That said, BlackBerry’s security system is still considered second to none and remains one of the firm’s strongest selling points. In a note published Monday, Douglas Pollitt of Bay Street’s Pollitt & Co. noted that BlackBerry last week got a huge vote of confidence when the U.S. Department of Defense certified BlackBerry’s Q10 and Z10 to be used in concert with the BlackBerry Enterprise Service on the DoD’s networks. That made BlackBerry the first mobile device management provider to reach that level of certification. “Selling BlackBerry just got easier,” said Mr. Pollitt. “If security is a priority, an enterprise will naturally be inclined to look at BlackBerry first.”
    BlackBerry, like Nokia, is a failed superstar. Unlike Nokia, it has secure networks and devices that will be newly appreciated in a world where privacy is becoming a rare luxury.
    08-13-13 06:35 AM
    Has anyone mentioned Cisco?

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR and sidhuk like this.
    08-13-13 06:51 AM

Posted via CB10
    I saw them mentioned in an article with specific reference to interests in enterprise expansion and further M2M, where BlackBerry would help.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    08-13-13 06:53 AM
    Not everyone thinks BlackBerry has no value!

‘Remorseful’ woman gets 18 months for stealing friend’s BlackBerry

August 13, 2013 | By KNews | Filed Under News

Desperate to own a Blackberry smartphone at all costs, a 21-year-old woman, after being left for a few minutes in her friend’s office, in which there was one of the expensive gadgets, gave in to temptation and stole the item.

The charge, which was read yesterday by Magistrate Ann Mc Lennan at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court, stated that on July 22, Trisha Persaud stole a BlackBerry cell phone worth $70,000, property of Amit Ramdat, a 37-year-old coordinator attached to the Office of the President.
    Persaud pleaded guilty to the charge.
    08-13-13 07:00 AM
    Posted via CB10
    yup, some times ago ... embarking a supplier would be a nice move too.
    Not as much a strategic mover than MS, yet still a very solid partner (they are, already).
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    08-13-13 07:02 AM
    RED??!?!?!
    08-13-13 07:22 AM
    Pre-BB10 launch type of volume this morning.
    08-13-13 07:30 AM
    RED??!?!?!
    GREEN !!!
    (I believe some are pushing hard to keep the SP under $11 - get ready for the roller coaster. Fasten seat belts and keep calm)
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-capture.png  
    08-13-13 07:31 AM
    RED??!?!?!
    GREEN??!?!?!
    08-13-13 07:34 AM
    08-13-13 07:36 AM
    At least we don't shoot at our customers!

Twenty Injured at LG G2 Launch Event in Korea

Tom's Guide
    August-12-13 7:13 PM GMT

LG is not messing around with its G2 launch. The company announced the device at an event in New York City last week after months of teasing. Now that the phone is official, the company is looking for fun ways to market the device and spread the word about the G2. Unfortunately, the company is making headlines this week for a marketing stunt that went awry and saw 20 people injured.

The Korea Times reports that 20 people suffered injuries at an LG event in Seoul last week. The event in question was called 'G2 in the Cloud' and saw LG release hundreds of helium balloons into the sky. One hundred of the balloons also contained a special coupon for a free G2 handset. It all went wrong when people tried to shoot the balloons down with BB guns. Apparently, these folks didn't have the best aim, and a number of bystanders were injured.

LG is quoted as saying it had problems controlling the crowd and told the Korea Times that it will provide proper medical treatment to those injured at its event. The company has also cancelled several planned, outdoor promotional events for the G2.
    08-13-13 07:44 AM
    At least we don't shoot at our customers!
    That was pretty awful.
    08-13-13 07:47 AM
107,106 ... 17011702170317041705 ...