• Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    candyman, candyman, candyman!

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2
    Really liked that movie back in the day
    08-12-13 11:43 AM
    Rumours - I just got a report that Prem was seen just a few minutes ago entering a restaurant with M+8. The word on the street (just outside the restaurant) is that they are going to take BB private with an $18.00 offer.
    Robert!!! Come on ............. Ha!

Okay, I have to drop everything to say something about this news otherwise you guys will be asking me how much I'm paying for the company. LOL

First off, Prem and I agreed that it was the right thing to do. He needs to be able to purchase more shares in the open market and he can't do that and remain on the board. We then ordered some fine East Indian Cuisine and discussed the company. I actually was in Waterloo at their head office and talked with an "employee", I can't say anything more other than it was a very positive conversation, (two weeks ago), it wasn't Prem or TH for that matter!

Seriously, this is great news, don't expect a huge rally today as we have little to go on but I do suspect that Prem will be going over the 9.9% ownership level soon. The largest part of the rally comes when we hear concrete news to the effect that Prem has purchased some more shares. Then there is the CPP and the Teachers Pension Fund, they only need $ 3.5 billion in net cash to do the deal at $ 20.00/shr plus here. This is cheap and easily financed by the company itself. I feel there is a deal in the works already and they need to show fairness be opening the company up to other suitors prior to presenting this deal. When we get more information on the "proposal", the stock will make it largest gains so be patient and don't even look at it closely for a few more days.

In addition, there is nothing negative that can be read into this announcement, I believe they have a tentative deal in place and now they need to take it public prior to announcing the plan. As mentioned here, you don't lawyer up unless you have something concrete to offer as JP Morgan/BlackBerry have a ton of lawyers to deal with day to day events.

The 50-dma is in the low $ 11.00's and we are heading for that now. We are outside the Bollinger Bands, we tried and failed twice last week, we succeeded on Friday, I mentioned that this is so rare of an event when there is no news to drive the stock and to watch for Monday, low and behold, we got the news that started the rally off last week. I expect to see some big gains in the stock in the days ahead, this rally has nothing to do with the twisted media, they can bash all they want, the company is focused on completing a deal. I think that deal is already packaged and awaiting counter offers to pop up here. Samsung would be a strong possibility here, they need Enterprise, they sorely need patents, the BlackBerry brand is very strong worldwide, plenty of reasons to make a counter offer from them alone. Then you have all of the "other" companies who don't want Samsung to get a hold of those patents and existing business. Plenty of action coming and we haven't seen anything yet. If you need to know how I came up with $ 3.5 billion as my net cash investment to do the deal please refer to my earlier post last week when I explained how this deal will go down financially speaking. We are going much higher in the days ahead here, be patient!
    Last edited by morganplus8; 08-12-13 at 12:02 PM.
    08-12-13 11:49 AM
    Jefferies says LBO at $15
    08-12-13 11:54 AM
    Yes please. I dare not visit this thread for weeks till today...

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-12-13 11:56 AM
    That's a good start.
    08-12-13 11:57 AM
    Who doesn't like a good Indian...nice and spicy please. thanks M+8 for the overview.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    08-12-13 11:58 AM
    Yang Fui! Where you at homie! Lets also hear from another genius poster!

Also, thanks Morgan for the insight!
    08-12-13 12:02 PM
    Jefferies LBO analysis of BlackBerry points to a possible $15 per share take out price. The analyst believes Prem Watsa's, CEO of FairFax Financial and BlackBerry's largest holder, resignation from the board due to conflicts of interest supports a possible LBO. Shares are Buy rated with a $18 price target.
    bungaboy, Kid Vibe, take99 and 7 others like this.
    08-12-13 12:03 PM
    Jefferies LBO analysis of BlackBerry points to a possible $15 per share take out price. The analyst believes Prem Watsa's, CEO of FairFax Financial and BlackBerry's largest holder, resignation from the board due to conflicts of interest supports a possible LBO. Shares are Buy rated with a $18 price target.
    18 is the bare minimum for myself too... I really hope this gets into 20's if a deal goes through. Ok, done with the stock today, great news.
    08-12-13 12:06 PM
    Damn, I gotta buy Morgan a drink one day.
    08-12-13 12:07 PM
    An offer that low may attract others who see more value. Just like an auction... nobody wants to go first thinking they can get the item for an even lower price... but in the end there is always someone who really wants it and is willing to pay decent money.
    08-12-13 12:08 PM
    Damn, I gotta buy Morgan a drink one day.
    We all do.
    08-12-13 12:08 PM
    I think Samsung would make an offer. Because -

1. They own most components that go inside a smartphone. From cpu to memory. They can produce devices very cheaply and yet make profit.

2. Their Tizen OS is unlikely to gain traction. With acquisition or partnership with BlackBerry, they can get a headstart; and reduce their reliance on Android. Not only that, but QNX/BlackBerry 10 is (from what I have heard) far superior to Tizen and already has very many apps. Samsung can easily kill Tizen and replace it with (almost mature) BlackBerry 10 OS.

3. This gives them entry into many govt and security concious customers.

4. With Samsung's money/marketing and existing relationships with carrier partners, they can push sales of Samsung-Berry devices easily. They were very effective in countering Apple iPhone ads.

Posted via CB 10 app on my Q10!
    that would be a problem, US govt and the Canadians and let alone DOD are not going to like it if their secure data will get controlled by a Korean company. Highly unlikely. Still need approval by Cdn govt. So, a made in Canada solution yes, and perhaps with participation of a Microsoft yes. But any buyouts by any companies across any ocean. I just don't see it.
    08-12-13 12:11 PM
    Yes, takeover would have to be from one of the "five eyes" nations... otherwise it could only be a partnership.
    BergerKing and Bacon Munchers like this.
    08-12-13 12:14 PM
    As m+8 said, the 50dma is just above us.... but the 100 and 200 dma are stacked just on top of the 50 dma around $12.80. If we cross those based on a few more rumours or news we could get rip roaring here.
    08-12-13 12:24 PM
    As m+8 said, the 50dma is just above us.... but the 100 and 200 dma are stacked just on top of the 50 dma around $12.80. If we cross those based on a few more rumours or news we could get rip roaring here.
    ....and at the same time, slow down the growth of your ignore list
    08-12-13 12:34 PM
    So should I be buying more stock now I guess? I would have to borrow on credit but I'm seeing a potential gain here. I know any advice would be great and I know it's a risk. I lost 40 shares on Friday selling then looking for the drop.
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-12-13 12:35 PM
    Canada says wishes BlackBerry well, no comment on speculation

The Canadian government on Monday said it wished BlackBerry Ltd (BB.TO: Quote) well, but it would not speculate on the future of the smartphone maker after the company announced the creation of a committee to review its options.

"We recognize BlackBerry is exploring strategic alternatives to enhance its competitiveness; we wish (it) well. However, we do not comment on speculation," said Sebastien Gariepy, a spokesman for Industry Minister James Moore.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper told Reuters in February 2012 that he wanted BlackBerry to grow "as a Canadian company." Former industry minister Christian Paradis referred to the company as a "Canadian jewel" in December 2011.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/busine...97B0MF20130812
    08-12-13 12:41 PM
    Too bad there wasn't a way to participate in the ownership of BB if it goes private. Give us the option of keeping our shares, or converting them into shares in a new partnership agreement that is not traded on the market. Wouldn't work for me personally because my shares are all in registered accounts - but for those of you in cash accounts - would be interesting.
    leafs123, bungaboy, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    08-12-13 12:45 PM
    Two things I would NOT recommend doing:

1. Buy BBRY shares on credit.
    2. Hold BBRY shares that are not traded on any stock exchange.
    OMGitworks and BergerKing like this.
    08-12-13 12:49 PM
    Too bad there wasn't a way to participate in the ownership of BB if it goes private. Give us the option of keeping our shares, or converting them into shares in a new partnership agreement that is not traded on the market. Wouldn't work for me personally because my shares are all in registered accounts - but for those of you in cash accounts - would be interesting.
    if Fairfax was involved in going private you could buy that
    08-12-13 12:50 PM
    that would be a problem, US govt and the Canadians and let alone DOD are not going to like it if their secure data will get controlled by a Korean company. Highly unlikely. Still need approval by Cdn govt. So, a made in Canada solution yes, and perhaps with participation of a Microsoft yes. But any buyouts by any companies across any ocean. I just don't see it.
    We make too much of the fact that the government will stop the sale because it is a Korean company, which as far as I know, are in much better standing than Chinese tech companies. First, the Ontario gov gave Huawei a tax credit for setting up a "research facility" in the province. Two, both Telus and Bell have purchased LTE equipment made by Huawei and for use in their networks. Three, Telus supplies the DoD in Canada with services which are on, you guessed it, with Chinese made equipment. Lastly, the CDN gov didn't oppose the sale of our natural resources, Nexen, to CNOOC.

Without making it political, this is the same CDN gov that said "we will scrutinize each deal".
    08-12-13 12:56 PM
    Morningstar comments on todays news on BNN

BNN Video Player
    bungaboy and Bugmapper like this.
    08-12-13 12:57 PM
    More from Jefferies' Peter Misek:

“With interest from several large Canadian funds and rescaled opex, we think an LBO is feasible,” he adds.

Prem Watsa, CEO of Fairfax Financial and BlackBerry’s largest holder with a 10% stake, will resign from the board due to conflicts of interest; however, he maintains his support for BlackBerry and does not intend to sell shares. Canadian Pension Plan suggests BlackBerry goes private. Last Friday (8/9/13), Canadian Pension Plan CEO Mark Wiseman in an interview with Bloomberg said that they would consider an investment in BlackBerry if the company were taken private.

Potential players in takeout consortium. Prem Watsa through Hamblin Watsa Investment Counsel (Fairfax Financial subsidiary) controls 9.9% of BlackBerry’s shares outstanding. We believe Fairfax along with other Canadian pension funds and banks are considering taking BlackBerry private. The following Canadian Pension Funds currently have a stake in BlackBerry: Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board (0.4%), The Public Sector Pension Investment Board (0.4%), Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (0.2%), The OPSEU Pension Trust (0.1%), and OMERS Administration Corporation (0.1%).

Additionally we believe Canadian banks such as BMO, CIBC, and RBC could be involved as well. In total, these institutions control ~17% of BlackBerry’s shares outstanding. In total, current BlackBerry holdings represent 0.3% of the groups’ equity assets, leaving plenty of headroom if they would like to increase their investments.

LBO analysis points to possible $15 take-out price. Our preliminary LBO analysis assumes revenues decline at 5% a year, opex cuts of 20% in FY15 and 10% in FY16 before flattening out, and capex returning to historical norms. Assuming 15% participation by current shareholders, a $15 take-out price, and $2B in debt raised would yield a low-$20s IRR.

BlackBerry: With Buyers a Question Mark, LBO Most Likely, Says Street - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com
    08-12-13 01:00 PM
    You know the DoD has to be watching this closely. No matter who were to purchase the DoD would be VERY wary.
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    08-12-13 01:06 PM
113,251 ... 16921693169416951696 ...