View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    BlackBerry would be 25th most valuable private firm | IT Business

Perhaps in going private, it could replicate the success of business analytics software firm SAS Institute. Commonly cited as one of the world’s most valuable private software companies, it has never made one single layoff in company history. Without shareholder pressure, its able to horde large cash reserves that help the company weather tough times. Its 2012 fiscal year revenues were reported at $2.87 billion.

But where would BlackBerry stand as a private firm? While it has been shrinking in value as a company, it still reported over $11 billion in revenue for its 2012 fiscal year. That’s a good deal less than its previous year of $18.4 billion, but still high enough to land it on the list of North America’s most valuable private firms.
    bungaboy, sidhuk, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    08-09-13 09:12 AM
    Where is mrfreetruth? Isn't taking BlackBerry out of the US markets right in his wheelhouse?
    Yes, and going private too, I think.

Can't wait for him to come in and say- I've been saying this all along!
    08-09-13 09:13 AM
    My 2 cents:

If BB were to go private, it should have done it long time ago before BB10 was launched. Doing it now would take away the energy and attention of management from important matters such as delivering on products, partnership initiatives, investments or any acquisition opportunities. I feel that directing the energy and attention to the going private process wouldn't be very productive. In the end, most of us believe (at least I believe) that selling the hardware division or whatever needs to be done, and focus solely on software. There is a winner there.
    lcjr, sidhuk and m1a1mg like this.
    08-09-13 09:16 AM
    What about a Shareholder Endorsed Insider Bid:

A Shareholder Endorsed Insider Bid is a take-over bid made by a bidder who together with its affiliates or associates and joint actors has beneficial ownership of 10% or more of the voting securities of the Company, by way of take-over bid circular to all shareholders, and in respect of which, among other things, more than 50% of the common shares held by shareholders have been tendered to the take-over bid at the time of first take-up under the take-over bid and the date of such first take-up occurs not later than the 120th calendar day following the date on which the take-over bid is commenced. A Shareholder Endorsed Insider Bid is not required to be open for a minimum period of time beyond the 35 days required under applicable securities law.

If the big holders all get together, control 51% of the shares, can't they vote to aprove the deal at $12.00????? Also, is that 51% of 520,000,000 shares or 700,000,000 shares? Do the shorts have to cover or do they just pay the $12.00??
    You are highlighting the "first takeover offer" of which there are typically three. Gaining 51% of the shares allows you to proceed with the second offer and so on. In Canada, you need at least 90% of the voting shares and that occurs at a progressively higher price. Who in their right mind would let their shares go for $ 12.00/shr when the Book Value is $ 18.00 plus? We are at the very beginning of a rumour here, nothing to suggest this will ever happen and it is up to us to figure out what the trading is for today. So far, it is becoming far more interesting as we stay well above huge resistance here. The volume is great (run rate is still highly active) and the price is stellar. What we need to do is to look at the trades, are they deep, large and are the trades occuring on the "ask"? That tells you if you should hold onto your shares or not. I don't have time to watch the depth all day so hopefully someone else can do this for us and report back. Staying above the BB's as CJ pointed out is very bullish and this is what happened on Monday of this week when everyone was trying to guess at a news release to justify the rise in the stock. Fun to watch so far.
    08-09-13 09:16 AM
    My 9 year old son is a big fan of Apple. He has a MacBook Pro, iPad mini, iPhone 4, and many old Macs (G3, G4, G5). He runs boot camp so that he could test out the new OSX Maverick.
    He asked me to open a trading account for him because he wanted to learn investing with stocks. He bought his first batch of stocks today.
    I asked "what did you buy?". He said "BlackBerry for $9.7 something per share". LOL
    I asked him why not Apple since he liked Apple so much. He said, "I looked at the trend in the past 6 months and Apple seems to be trending down. BlackBerry is more risky but I think it might have potential."
    This is from a 9 year old...
    leafs123, lcjr, Korepab and 17 others like this.
    08-09-13 09:17 AM
    Geeze I can't keep up with you.
    Don't stop trying.
    Bugmapper and BergerKing like this.
    08-09-13 09:18 AM
    I was simply pointing out that if BBRY goes private then it will be delisted - no public shares to buy and/or follow. At some point down the road there could be an IPO but that could be years. For Blackberry fans, the company would be a big black box from which things appear periodically - like Palm was after the HP acquisition.
    08-09-13 09:21 AM
    I was simply pointing out that if BBRY goes private then it will be delisted - no public shares to buy and/or follow. At some point down the road there could be an IPO but that could be years. For Blackberry fans, the company would be a big black box from which things appear periodically - like Palm was after the HP acquisition.
    I didn't read any negativity or ill intent in the comment, myself.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CB Forums mobile app
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    08-09-13 09:34 AM
    I gotta admit, i cant find the ignore button. Can some one guide me?
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-09-13 09:34 AM
    Good morning gang!! Holy crap! $9.81 this morning, but I doubt it will remain that high. I read the previous posts but will tend to agree with those that doubt this rumor is true. The article itself states BB is concidering going private. That's a big difference from WE ARE GOING PRIVATE. Just my thoughts anyway. Regardless, there's money to be made today for those that bought in low. As Morgan stated, perhaps the best way to deal with this is to hold fast and not do anything in a panic or rush. My average is still $15.10 so obviously I'm not doing anything right now except watch and wait. Good luck everyone!!!!
    Ha! I'm not trying to tell you what to do with your stock my friend, its just that well over 20 million shares have traded in the first hour in North America and every last one of those shareholders are now out of the trade for good. If the stock can/could drop back enough to make it worth their while, for a swing trade; they can get a second chance here. So far, we are close to hitting a new high for the day when we normally have a 10:30 AM sell-off. So this trade is complicated so don't listen to me to decide what's best for you.

I told my Dad last night that I might sell 45,000 shares today for a quick trade just to pick up $ .30/shr profit and be back in those shares at the close, I didn't sell them!! LOL

Fun to watch all of the money chasing after this stock for a change. Resistance is still at $ 9.65/shr but no one thought to tell the massive amount of buyers that, did they?

Good luck!
    bungaboy, sidhuk, lcjr and 10 others like this.
    08-09-13 09:37 AM
    From an expert . . . . . LoL

click on their avatar, the click on forum profile, then on the left side you will see ignore list function. Confirm it and Bob's yer uncle.
    08-09-13 09:37 AM
    Of all the days for my online broker to be down! Credential Direct was down for an hour or so. Good thing I guess. I couldn't do a thing. LoL
    sidhuk, dusdal and BergerKing like this.
    08-09-13 09:41 AM
    Where is mrfreetruth? Isn't taking BlackBerry out of the US markets right in his wheelhouse?
    Easy my friend... it feels good but let's not start any fist-a-cuffs.
    Bugmapper likes this.
    08-09-13 09:43 AM
    M+8. You are definitely the "bbry whisper" if your ACB is that low that you can profit from a trade today.
    08-09-13 09:46 AM
    We should take a poll to see thoughts on how long this run lasts. I'm saying this will end by EOD or early next week. Until something confirms this rumor, it's just a rumor. Thoughts??
    Easy my friend... it feels good but let's not start any fist-a-cuffs.
    Sorry, that one should have had a at the end of it. Wasn't trying to provoke, just noting the relevance of his position to today's news. He appears to be non-combative and extremely consistent.
    lcjr, sidhuk, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    From an expert . . . . . LoL

click on their avatar, the click on forum profile, then on the left side you will see ignore list function. Confirm it and Bob's yer uncle.
    Thanks. Time for Coyoty hunt now, i think every one knows first one (longest name) on the list.
    The first 17% of trading are over and volume is at 14.000.000 + finally stock gets intersting again.I could imagine a worse friday evening Still a loss of 30%, but I am patient. If i had got these things with 9 year, it would have been definitive too much input
    08-09-13 09:47 AM
    Are you trying to ignore the poster above you? I didn't think you could ignore mods.
    lcjr, bungaboy and BergerKing like this.
    08-09-13 09:48 AM
    Are you trying to ignore the poster above you? I didn't think you could ignore mods.
    LoL,
    With my english,,,, you never know.
    But hell no, Mascot is too cute to execute.
    Who is he anyway? Looks like Kevin from Dragon's Den.
    08-09-13 09:53 AM
    Volume today has already passed the 3m average
    08-09-13 09:57 AM
    Sorry, that one should have had a at the end of it. Wasn't trying to provoke, just noting the relevance of his position to today's news. He appears to be non-combative and extremely consistent.
    Yup. I like having him here with us.
    Bugmapper likes this.
    08-09-13 10:08 AM
    Glad to see everyone getting excited for once! Me and LCJR are just waiting for this to get in the high teens before we start fist pumpin'. Let's go! But glad to see it in double digits again, only a few more bucks and I'm back!
    lcjr, bungaboy, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    08-09-13 10:09 AM
    Glad to see everyone getting excited for once! Me and LCJR are just waiting for this to get in the high teens before we start fist pumpin'. Let's go! But glad to see it in double digits again, only a few more bucks and I'm back!
    Add me to that list too! lol
    Kid Vibe, lcjr, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    08-09-13 10:17 AM
    Fist pumping
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-image.jpg
    08-09-13 10:18 AM
113,256 ... 16761677167816791680 ...