View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Key points.
    LoL, how long before some one shows up here and have a problem with 50% market share in SA?
    Any idea as to why SA never flipped as the rest of the world did about blackberry?
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-06-13 11:37 AM
    "In my opinion, the culprit of yesterday's rally was the news that Samsung (SSNLF.PK) announced that BBM (BlackBerry Messenger) will soon be available via Google Play and the Samsung App store for customers across Africa."
    As an aside, Samsung doesn't have a say on whether BBM will be available on the Google Play store. This is completely up to BlackBerry.

Samsung does have a say as to what gets into the Samsung App store. But what's the point of this if BBM is already available in the Google Play Store? As a GS3 owner, one of the first things I did was to hide the Samsung App store into some out of the way folder. There is nothing of value there outside of the apps that are specific to Samsung phones only.

The announcement itself is interesting, because you have the world's biggest smartphone manufacturer endorsing BBM. You could say this is a win-win situation, but IMO it is a much bigger win for Samsung. Just think of what Samsung hopes to get out of this. They want to get more sales by publicizing the fact that BBM runs on Samsung phones. This might sway potential Windows phone buyers who value BBM. But it will also bring Samsung to consideration when BB7 users have to get a new phone. It will also hurt BlackBerry sales.
    08-06-13 11:42 AM
    As an aside, Samsung doesn't have a say on whether BBM will be available on the Google Play store. This is completely up to BlackBerry.

Samsung does have a say as to what gets into the Samsung App store. But what's the point of this if BBM is already available in the Google Play Store? As a GS3 owner, one of the first things I did was to hide the Samsung App store into some out of the way folder. There is nothing of value there outside of the apps that are specific to Samsung phones only.

The announcement itself is interesting, because you have the world's biggest smartphone manufacturer endorsing BBM. You could say this is a win-win situation, but IMO it is a much bigger win for Samsung. Just think of what Samsung hopes to get out of this. They want to get more sales by publicizing the fact that BBM runs on Samsung phones. This might sway potential Windows phone buyers who value BBM. But it will also bring Samsung to consideration when BB7 users have to get a new phone. It will also hurt BlackBerry sales.
    At the same time, it provides Samsung with another option should Google and them part ways on Android. Yes, Samsung has Tizen working but BB10 is also another alternative if the Android relationship goes sour.
    BergerKing, bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    08-06-13 11:46 AM
    At the same time, it provides Samsung with another option should Google and them part ways on Android. Yes, Samsung has Tizen working but BB10 is also another alternative if the Android relationship goes sour.
    Plus, the BBM on android will not have screen share and bbm video

I was reading this http://www.berryreview.com/2013/08/0...irus-products/ and this kind of news is making me not to buy android tablets ( I was thinking Sony tablet z).
    I wish blackberry would make playbook with 2gb rams and start using bb10 if not new tablet. That should increase sales.
    Not sure if the same will affect blackberry if side loaded? I guess it only affects one's google accounts?
    Last edited by sidhuk; 08-06-13 at 12:06 PM.
    BergerKing and bungaboy like this.
    08-06-13 11:54 AM
    Plus, the BBM on android will not have screen share and bbm video

I was reading this Obvious Android Malware App Missed by Google Bouncer & Most Antivirus Products - BerryReview and this kind of news is making me not to buy android tablets ( I was thinking Sony tablet z).
    Not sure if the same will affect blackberry if side loaded? I guess it only affects one's google accounts?
    BBM video will be there in the future I believe. Not sure if screen share is doable.
    sidhuk likes this.
    08-06-13 12:04 PM
    Samsung can definitely license BB10. There is no reason why they can't manufacturer a phone with different OS. Sky is the limit.

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing, bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    08-06-13 12:08 PM
    Samsung can definitely license BB10. There is no reason why they can't manufacturer a phone with different OS. Sky is the limit.

Posted via CB10
    Was thinking about that... and wondering if with the whole Apple vs. Samsung thing going on in the US courts, that maybe Blackberry can be seen as a friendly rival by Samsung... the enemy of my enemy is my friend, and all that stuff. Gently help Blackberry in subtle ways to cut into Apple's market share? Dunno...
    08-06-13 12:14 PM
    Was thinking about that... and wondering if with the whole Apple vs. Samsung thing going on in the US courts, that maybe Blackberry can be seen as a friendly rival by Samsung... the enemy of my enemy is my friend, and all that stuff. Gently help Blackberry in subtle ways to cut into Apple's market share? Dunno...
    And what do you think will do to the share price of black berry?
    IMO, that would be a real suqeeeeeeeezzzzzzzaaaaaaahhhhhhh
    Lol
    http://www.bartcop.com/o-nut-crack-410.jpg
    08-06-13 12:25 PM
    Samsung already tried this with Windows Phone.

Samsung OMNIA 7 with Windows Phone 7

It didn't turn out very well:

But Samsung’s executives have been voicing their discontent with Microsoft’s products for quite some time. “Smartphones and tablets based on Microsoft’s Windows operating system aren’t selling very well,” admitted Samsung Co-CEO J.K. Shin in his latest interview with the WSJ yesterday. “In Europe, we’re also seeing lackluster demand for Windows-based products.”
    I think it's quite a leap infer a licensing arrangement based on a Samsung BBM announcement in Africa.
    08-06-13 12:34 PM
    Good news that BBM is on Galaxy devices but i'm weary of Samsung as a business partner. The most recent history is being a partner w/ Apple and then copying their device style.

Share too much with the Chebol and soon you'll no longer be partners but competitors. It'll be nice to see BBM on other Android OEM's to limit Samsungs overall influence.
    08-06-13 12:36 PM
    BBM video will be there in the future I believe. Not sure if screen share is doable.
    I think initially BlackBerry has their sites on Whatsapps' market share. Thus, bbm is launching x-platform txt only. Once they have Skype in their sights then we will see bbm on the desktop and x-platform video bbm. One step at a time.
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-06-13 12:38 PM
    My crystal ball thinks we are closing green today. Just waiting for the right moment to pounce

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 12:40 PM
    Any idea as to why SA never flipped as the rest of the world did about blackberry?
    My guess is because BB7 phones have excellent data compression, and BBM is very reliable. The networks in the cities have good coverage, but data is (or at least was) very expensive. A phone that uses much less data would be extremely cost-effective. Also, BBM had taken hold as the standard way of communicating between BlackBerry users. Not sure what the SMS plans were like there, but using BBM was probably cheaper.
    08-06-13 12:41 PM
  14. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    After a death, Apple tells Chinese to only use official chargers

The company posts the guidance on its Chinese site after a woman was allegedly electrocuted while answering a call on her iPhone as it was charging.
    July 25, 2013 5:32 AM PDT

I think Apple should do a massive product recall before more people/children die.
    What you are suggesting is of course impossible since Apple does not make counterfeit chargers, thus they are unable to recall them.

While this tragic death was beyond Apple's ability to prevent (after all, the faulty part was not made by them), they are offering to take back any adapter (starts Aug 16) and replace it with a genuine one for $10 (roughly half retail price). This will apparently be a worldwide program.

If you or someone you know are using a knockoff charger with your idevice (iPhone/iPod/iPad) you may want to take advantage of this. There are plenty of unsafe ones out there. Note it is not just the 5W iPhone chargers, but also the 12W iPad chargers that are eligible.

USB Power Adapter Takeback Program

I am pleasantly surprised with Apple here. I'll bet they got legal advice to just say, "we have nothing to do with these faulty chargers, in fact we actively attempt to stop sale of these counterfeit products as they damage the companies reputation as well as potentially harming our customers."
    Becoming involved in an exchange program may allow people to spin it as if they are somehow responsible for this tragic accident. Good for Apple for stepping up to help prevent future tragedies.
    08-06-13 12:47 PM
    What you are suggesting is of course impossible since Apple does not make counterfeit chargers, thus they are unable to recall them.

While this tragic death was beyond Apple's ability to prevent (after all, the faulty part was not made by them), they are offering to take back any adapter (starts Aug 16) and replace it with a genuine one for $10 (roughly half retail price). This will apparently be a worldwide program.

If you or someone you know are using a knockoff charger with your idevice (iPhone/iPod/iPad) you may want to take advantage of this. There are plenty of unsafe ones out there. Note it is not just the 5W iPhone chargers, but also the 12W iPad chargers that are eligible.

USB Power Adapter Takeback Program

I am pleasantly surprised with Apple here. I'll bet they got legal advice to just say, "we have nothing to do with these faulty chargers, in fact we actively attempt to stop sale of these counterfeit products as they damage the companies reputation as well as potentially harming our customers."
    Becoming involved in an exchange program may allow people to spin it as if they are somehow responsible for this tragic accident. Good for Apple for stepping up to help prevent future tragedies.
    Aluminum backing = Conductive

If they wanted to prevent future tragedies, they'd start using more rubber and plastic in their designs.

Nuff Said?
    08-06-13 01:01 PM
    Can we not go back three weeks to debate what has already been done to death please... (no pun intended)
    bungaboy, lcjr, BergerKing and 3 others like this.
    08-06-13 01:04 PM
    Can anyone help! The background of this forum turned into black. How can I switch it back to previous one?
    scroll to very bottom of page and select default style
    08-06-13 01:08 PM
    My crystal ball thinks we are closing green today. Just waiting for the right moment to pounce

Posted via CB10
    I think you waited to long to "pounce"!

Maybe tomorrow
    08-06-13 01:12 PM
  19. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    Attachment 189984

Largest Billboard on Times square right now . Photo taken last night....won't make a huge difference in sales but it's a brave company Statement : "we're Back and we're here to stay".
    Well done

Posted via CB10
    Any advertising people here? What does a week of that Times Square ad cost approximately?

Blackberry is in an interesting predicament. Sales down to 1% (both old and new models) in the US. Their CEO saying they have to make it here to make it anywhere. What to do? Burn cash in a possibly pointless effort to save their hardware business or use that money to try to make it in software and services?

I suppose they will keep trying with hardware through the Holiday season. If February comes around and they are wiped out in hardware anyway and severely cash constrained from their efforts there will be lots of post game quarterbacks reminding them they should have pulled the plug last year. I personally think one Netflix app is worth 10 of those billboards and they should be pouring serious money into "bounties" for major apps if they want to spend on the hardware side.
    08-06-13 01:13 PM
  20. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    Can we not go back three weeks to debate what has already been done to death please... (no pun intended)
    The USB Power Adapter Takeback Program was announced August 6.
    That is... today. New and relevant information, no?
    08-06-13 01:16 PM
  21. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    Aluminum backing = Conductive

If they wanted to prevent future tragedies, they'd start using more rubber and plastic in their designs.

Nuff Said?
    Are you suggesting Apple hardware is responsible for this tragedy?
    08-06-13 01:18 PM
    I think you waited to long to "pounce"!

Maybe tomorrow
    I'm long and all loaded up. Waiting for you guys

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 01:23 PM
    And today in the "Too Obviously a Troll Even To Bother" department, this was in an article I read today:

BlackBerry Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) shares plunged -0.09% to $9.57 in current session with current trading volume of 15.32 million shares.

(Because a 0.09% drop is "plunging" by anyone's definition... right? Sigh.)
    08-06-13 01:24 PM
    And today in the "Too Obviously a Troll Even To Bother" department, this was in an article I read today:

BlackBerry Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) shares plunged -0.09% to $9.57 in current session with current trading volume of 15.32 million shares.

(Because a 0.09% drop is "plunging" by anyone's definition... right? Sigh.)
    Lol, that is just pathetic

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    bungaboy, rarsen and peter9477 like this.
    08-06-13 01:27 PM
    Are you suggesting Apple hardware is responsible for this tragedy?
    I'm just saying rubber is an insulator.
    08-06-13 01:54 PM
113,256 ... 16561657165816591660 ...