View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    Kind of quiet in here tonight. Well I have a three day weekend every weekend now thanks to the DoD furloughs, but hopefully these end after October so I can start investing more into BB. Here the SP is at give-away prices and I can't do anything. Here's to those that can.
    07-26-13 11:34 PM
    Kind of quiet in here tonight. Well I have a three day weekend every weekend now thanks to the DoD furloughs, but hopefully these end after October so I can start investing more into BB. Here the SP is at give-away prices and I can't do anything. Here's to those that can.
    Seems like everyone's busy with their dear beers!
    lcjr likes this.
    07-27-13 12:06 AM
    M+8. I was wondering if there is a reference document regarding Thor's options? Such as pricing? Thanks.
    Hi Sparkaction!

Yes, the information that you are after is in the "Management Information Circular" for the July 9th 2013 Special General Meeting:

Page 23:
    Pricing: "Options must have an exercise price of not less than the closing trading price of the Common Shares on the
    TSX or NASDAQ on the grant date, or if there is no closing trading price on that date, on the last preceding trading
    day. RSU Awards may be expressed as either a number of RSUs, or be based on an aggregate dollar value of the
    Award to be granted and divided by the closing trading price of the Common Shares on the TSX or NASDAQ on
    the grant date.
    "

http://ca.blackberry.com/content/dam...y_Circular.pdf

In the case of Heins then, he received his 3.46 million share/5-year term compensation on July 5th. If you look at the closing price of BBRY on that date, you will see something around $ 9.55/shr/US area and/or $ 10.15/shr/CDN price level.

My point over the past 8 weeks was to the effect that "where is the incentive for the company to provide excellent Q1 2014 results when they knew the RSU option pricing would be taking place shortly after the Q1 2014 results?". Heins and his team have certainly benefited from the fall in the stock haven't they? Everyone including Prem knew this was going to happen and might have traded accordingly? I'm guessing of course.

I made this point on several occasions because I knew BB was changing the way they compensate their staff from the more traditional system whereby pricing was the average of the prior 60 days of closing prices on either exchange. I hinted that you would want to get all of your dirty news out prior to the pricing of your RSU option pricing date. Why no one talks about this is beyond me. Hope that answers your question.
    07-27-13 01:33 AM
    Thanks M+8. I guess management will be looking to get the share price above $9.55 to profit from their options.

The strike price of these options plus the lack of guidance by management sure appears to coincidental. Looks like us longs may have been taken for a ride.
    take99 and bungaboy like this.
    07-27-13 02:24 AM
    Exactly morgan.

Why would he mention about discontinuing PlayBook at the ER. I never understood this.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 05:22 AM
    Although M+8 BlackBerry has been authorized to issue only 800,000 options at $9.58 as outlined in the SEC filing so this purported "sandbagging" is not a huge benefit to anyone yet.
    07-27-13 08:49 AM
    M+8. Are you lowering your ACB via call and put options? If so, what are the graphs saying are the potential entry points?
    07-27-13 08:50 AM
    I've been working only 4-day weeks for the last 2 years - my choice though. I call it being 20% retired. Now if my BlackBerry shares would fly, I could bump that to 100%.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 09:25 AM
    Although M+8 BlackBerry has been authorized to issue only 800,000 options at $9.58 as outlined in the SEC filing so this purported "sandbagging" is not a huge benefit to anyone yet.
    Please refer to this section on Participation, Pg(s) 22 and 23:

Participation: Participation in the Equity Incentive Plan is open to employees of the Company and any of its
    affiliates that are designated by the Board. Participation in the Equity Incentive Plan is voluntary. Awards are not
    assignable, subject to certain rights of a participant’s estate following death as described below under “Termination
    Entitlements”.
    As under the Prior Plans, no more than 10% of the Company’s outstanding Common Shares may be issued to
    insiders of the Company in any one year period pursuant to the Equity Incentive Plan or any other security-based
    compensation arrangements, and no more than 10% of the Company’s outstanding Common Shares may be issued
    pursuant to the Equity Incentive Plan or any other security-based compensation arrangement in the aggregate in any
    one year period. No more than 5% of the Company’s outstanding Common Shares may be issued to any one
    participant under the Equity Incentive Plan or any other security-based compensation arrangement.

Plan Maximum - The total number of shares available for grant under the Equity Incentive Plan will be 13,375,000.
    Insider Limits - The aggregate number of shares issued to insiders of the Company within any 12-month period, or
    issuable to insiders of the Company at any time, under the Equity Incentive Plan and any other security-based
    compensation arrangement of the Company, may not exceed 10% of the total number of issued and outstanding
    Common Shares of the Company at such time.

Award Agreements: Awards will be documented by written Award agreements, which will reflect the specific terms
    of a particular grant of Options or RSUs. The Board has the discretion to permit the exercise of Awards on other
    terms as it may determine, provided that no Award may be extended past the prescribed expiry date.
    Shares Available and Share Counting: Subject to certain equitable adjustments as provided in the Equity Incentive
    Plan and described below, a total of 13,375,000 shares will be authorized for Awards granted under the Equity
    Incentive Plan, less 0.625 share for every one share that was subject to a Prior Option granted after March 2, 2013
    and one share for every one share that was subject to a Prior RSU granted after March 2, 2013. Any shares that are
    subject to Options will be counted against this limit as 0.625 share for every one Option granted, and any shares that
    are subject to RSUs will be counted against this limit as one share for every one RSU granted. After the effective
    date of the Equity Incentive Plan, no awards may be granted under any Prior Plan.

Heins was issued 3.46 million shares at $ 9.55, that's worth sandbagging for in my opinion. Think about it this way, if the stock can get back to $ 15.00/shr many here will be long gone from this mess, yet Heins will be pocketing $ 20 million bucks for basically doing nothing.
    07-27-13 09:31 AM

Heins was issued 3.46 million shares at $ 9.55, that's worth sandbagging for in my opinion. Think about it this way, if the stock can get back to $ 15.00/shr many here will be long gone from this mess, yet Heins will be pocketing $ 20 million bucks for basically doing nothing.
    So essentially what your suggesting here is that Heins was on the side of the hated shorts?

And this theory is attractive because it provides a plausible mechanism for the stock to go back up, because it says manipulated down. By the CEO no less.
    07-27-13 09:57 AM
    Wow. It is so difficult for my to believe the evidence that is presented to me by M+8. It almost goes against logic as the CEO is playing a game of chicken with the company and shareholders.
    CDM76 likes this.
    07-27-13 10:14 AM
    I feel betrayed if that is true.

Posted via CB10
    lcjr likes this.
    07-27-13 10:27 AM
    Wow. It is so difficult for my to believe the evidence that is presented to me by M+8. It almost goes against logic as the CEO is playing a game of chicken with the company and shareholders.
    Not a chance with Watsa on the board

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    07-27-13 10:34 AM
    If that ever came out as fact, BB would be finished for good. If it was ever even brought out as a possibility on an official Site I will be waiting for my exit point with no intention on returning.
    CDM76 and Compaqee like this.
    07-27-13 10:44 AM
    Not a chance with Watsa on the board

Posted via CB10
    I disagree as these low strike price options does provide incentives for management and employees to be aligned with creation of shareholder value. Unfortunately, longs prior to June 28 were collateral damage. In addition, the low priced options will help attract and retain employees.

The sand bagging could be the reason the campany has been so quiet and they aren't doing more marketing and etc.
    07-27-13 10:46 AM
    So essentially what your suggesting here is that Heins was on the side of the hated shorts?

And this theory is attractive because it provides a plausible mechanism for the stock to go back up, because it says manipulated down. By the CEO no less.
    Let's not go that far, this is my own opinion and might have nothing of value other than it shows that I don't trust business, or the market or anything that involves money. The only thing I can support is the timing of events, not some conspiracy theory of a massive plan to rip investors off. If you want to chalk it up to Christmas in July, so be it, Heins made off with millions this past quarter. Lucky him. If I thought there was more to this than "perfect timing" I wouldn't be in the stock .... but years of investing has taught me that once all of the ducks are in a row, we can go up. I think we are getting closer to having all of those ducks accounted for.

Our family owns a huge block of ACAD Pharma, we bought the stock well below $ 2.00/shr and now we are setting about selling off some of the gains in that one. The reason we own a huge block of stock in that play is the very same reason we own BlackBerry. Once the right people get involved in an investment, and it is well financed, and, it has all of it's ducks in a row, we feel great things can happen. When you are risking $ 100's of thousands of dollars on a penny stock that no one has heard of before, you had better have some good reasons as to why you are going all in. For me, I knew one of the Directors of the company and his track record was amazing, secondly, I understand the business and their products and the potential there, and finally, the Baker brothers jumped in feet first, that's all I needed.

BlackBerry has a very similar structure, they have streamlined the products, the people and the players are all in now. All of the past 2 years worth of adjustments are close to being completed here. I think the media and many investors have lost sight of the important factors that will make this company great again. We are too focused on unit sales and how larger companies own the space, commenting on every small piece of data that comes out. Prem is not looking at IDC numbers, nor is he interested in Seeking Alpha articles or the daily movement of the stock. He is focused on the plan to bring BlackBerry to a world class level of enterprise. I think he sees BlackBerry as a media rich BES10/BBM/Chat/Video/Channels cross platform and software monster and until these few items are out there and profitable, we will be continuing to see BlackBerry as the handset company that no one wants.

I fall prey to the same daily grind of looking for weakness in the management and their inability to do PR work. They don't care about the PR side of the equation, they are still in the mid stages of setting the ground work for the relaunch of BlackBerry as we'll come to know it tomorrow. Heins got very lucky over this past month, we should all be so lucky as we have to blindly pay for our stock, without the benefit of knowing what he does. That's way having a few other plays going on like my ECA, IMG and ACAD (and a few others) allow me to keep extremely busy during these times with BlackBerry.

In conclusion, I don't think it is luck that Heins controls so much stock at crazy pricing, its all part of the big picture to position everyone going forward here. Did they actively allow the stock to drop in some subversive way? No, they are executing their extremely well thought out plan just like many other companies do. I see this all the time.
    jxnb, peter9477, kadakn01 and 19 others like this.
    07-27-13 10:50 AM
    I've been working only 4-day weeks for the last 2 years - my choice though. I call it being 20% retired. Now if my BlackBerry shares would fly, I could bump that to 100%.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I'm retired military but want to keep working for Uncle Sam for another 7 years before I call it quits and do my own business full time. The DoD furloughs are one day off without pay each week. That's about $1000 a month out of my paycheck. Now I'm looking at houses in Colorado Springs and another government agency to work for. Got to get out of the DoD fast.
    Randeman likes this.
    07-27-13 10:50 AM
    Let's not go that far, this is my own opinion and might have nothing of value other than it shows that I don't trust business, or the market or anything that involves money. The only thing I can support is the timing of events, not some conspiracy theory of a massive plan to rip investors off. If you want to chalk it up to Christmas in July, so be it, Heins made off with millions this past quarter. Lucky him. If I thought there was more to this than "perfect timing" I wouldn't be in the stock .... but years of investing has taught me that once all of the ducks are in a row, we can go up. I think we are getting closer to having all of those ducks accounted for.

Our family owns a huge block of ACAD Pharma, we bought the stock well below $ 2.00/shr and now we are setting about selling off some of the gains in that one. The reason we own a huge block of stock in that play is the very same reason we own BlackBerry. Once the right people get involved in an investment, and it is well financed, and, it has all of it's ducks in a row, we feel great things can happen. When you are risking $ 100's of thousands of dollars on a penny stock that no one has heard of before, you had better have some good reasons as to why you are going all in. For me, I knew one of the Directors of the company and his track record was amazing, secondly, I understand the business and their products and the potential there, and finally, the Baker brothers jumped in feet first, that's all I needed.

BlackBerry has a very similar structure, they have streamlined the products, the people and the players are all in now. All of the past 2 years worth of adjustments are close to being completed here. I think the media and many investors have lost sight of the important factors that will make this company great again. We are too focused on unit sales and how larger companies own the space, commenting on every small piece of data that comes out. Prem is not looking at IDC numbers, nor is he interested in Seeking Alpha articles or the daily movement of the stock. He is focused on the plan to bring BlackBerry to a world class level of enterprise. I think he sees BlackBerry as a media rich BES10/BBM/Chat/Video/Channels cross platform and software monster and until these few items are out there and profitable, we will be continuing to see BlackBerry as the handset company that no one wants.

I fall prey to the same daily grind of looking for weakness in the management and their inability to do PR work. They don't care about the PR side of the equation, they are still in the mid stages of setting the ground work for the relaunch of BlackBerry as we'll come to know it tomorrow. Heins got very lucky over this past month, we should all be so lucky as we have to blindly pay for our stock, without the benefit of knowing what he does. That's way having a few other plays going on like my ECA, IMG and ACAD (and a few others) allow me to keep extremely busy during these times with BlackBerry.

In conclusion, I don't think it is luck that Heins controls so much stock at crazy pricing, its all part of the big picture to position everyone going forward here. Did they actively allow the stock to drop in some subversive way? No, they are executing their extremely well thought out plan just like many other companies do. I see this all the time.
    M+8. Welcome back and this is an EPIC post! You have given me a new outlook on the stock after reading so much about the death of BlackBerry in the recent weeks.
    cjcampbell, lcjr, bungaboy and 4 others like this.
    07-27-13 10:57 AM
    Good morning Morgan!! Just to make some of us feel a little better this weekend, how long do you think it will take for the SP to reach 15 again? I know we have go guess but you know the inside of how these things work better than most of us. Have a great relaxing weekend!
    JLagoon and CDM76 like this.
    07-27-13 11:01 AM
    M+8. If you placed yourself in the shoes of institutional shorts, what do you think is their exit strategy?
    JLagoon likes this.
    07-27-13 11:01 AM
    Well, off to do some yard work. Front yard looks like Jurastic Park. See you guys later.
    07-27-13 11:28 AM
    Good morning Morgan!! Just to make some of us feel a little better this weekend, how long do you think it will take for the SP to reach 15 again? I know we have go guess but you know the inside of how these things work better than most of us. Have a great relaxing weekend!

Good morning Icjr!!

Man you guys like to put me on the spot! Tough question to answer but here is my take on all of this. The stock is cheap down here, cash is $ 6.00/shr and they are slow to spend any of it. I'm not sure we will see cash drop in Q2 due to accounting rules. But I do see several events coming that act as positive catalysts going forward. I think the launch of BB 10.2 is important, that one is a major refresh that sets BlackBerry in favourable light, and, I can't wait to see BBM go cross platform. Those two events alone will have the buzz we need to get more positive press rolling. With BB 10.2 we are now focused on BB 10.3, this will leave many thinking that iOS 7.0 is dated upon launch. The launch of BBM cross platform is a stat that will become the focus of ex-subs data worshipers. If you start seeing BBM numbers grow in the millions, you sew the seed of future revenue in a world where many analysts think BlackBerry needs to dump their hardware. In the Fall we'll be hearing of BES10 and new products to meet the hardware side of the equation. Only this time, BlackBerry will be launching products on time as they streamline their focus and do more with fewer issues.

For the stock, I see us officially hitting bottom very soon, likely this week baring a collapse in the general market. We have a gap in the stock that would normally be filled to $ 13.50/shr, but, with TA what it is today, we seldom reach those targets any more as programs drive sales just before these benchmarks numbers are achieved. So I see us moving up into the mid $ 12.50's and pausing or correcting from there. I mentioned at the post June 28th Q1 meeting that my plan is to wait for the pop, perhaps add to my position when I see a bottom in the stock, and to sell Call Options against my block of stock giving me some return out to October and a strike of around $ 13.00/shr. So I'm not seeing us get above $ 14.00/shr until late into the Fall. There is a tremendous amount of overhead at $ 14.00/shr as that was support for many months. We won't eat through that anytime soon. That places a lid on the rally here. As for $ 15.00, if we were to get that high again, the news would have to confirm at least 3 profitable quarters going forward from Q2. Is that likely? Well, it could happen but I place that at 20%. We need to see this trade through to the end of the year (2013) and get past end of year selling etc.. Then I can envision a major rally that lasts all of 2014. This rally is what Abigail is talking about in her 11-year chart analysis. In conclusion, I'm looking to cap my gains with some Call Option selling in the coming weeks, I'll then leave the block open for the balance of the year pending the launch of BBM cross platform of course. The whole rally of the first 6 months got killed off, it takes time to rebuild the investment and draw new money into the trade, so we have to remain patient here. It will happen and we will get back on track as soon as the company does what the investment world wants them to do which is to move away from handsets and build on social/enterprise/communication and security, the P/E multiples of that formula are much higher than hardware ever will be. Apple is looking at a EPS of 10 based upon hardware, have a look at everyone else in software, many times higher and BlackBerry needs to move in this direction and use to their BBM platform as the next indicator of measurable growth. I hate to admit it but Misek does have this figured out.
    07-27-13 11:49 AM
    Fabulous read Morgan. Sitting in bed reading your thoughts with a cup of Yorkshire Gold tea in hand....perfect. Thank you for the insight. Have an excellent weekend my friend!!

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 12:23 PM
    Fabulous read Morgan. Sitting in bed reading your thoughts with a cup of Yorkshire Gold tea in hand....perfect. Thank you for the insight. Have an excellent weekend my friend!!

Posted via CB10
    Some pick up the morning paper.... some pick up their BlackBerry for some BB investor thread action. Which do you think is more interesting and informative? Lol.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 12:29 PM
    Totally CJ. Awesome stuff here. So glad to be part of this fine group of people.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 12:31 PM
107,296 ... 16081609161016111612 ...