View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    It can easily be spun that way. Another way is to think that it could be hardware related and it's a step towards severing that division.

Posted via CB10
    The article I read said that they are 250 *product testers that supports the R&D division*. In that case, it would make sense that they needed "abnormally high" testers when going through such a huge thing as an OS overhaul... And now that it's launched, a much smaller # is needed going forward.
    07-25-13 06:37 AM
    The article I read said that they are 250 *product testers that supports the R&D division*. In that case, it would make sense that they needed "abnormally high" testers when going through such a huge thing as an OS overhaul... And now that it's launched, a much smaller # is needed going forward.
    Quite possibly. Hell, I'll product test for free if they wanted me to.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 06:39 AM
    But WebOS had access to *more* cash when it was taken over and they still pulled the plug. However for me, the real similarity between the two isn't in cashflow, it's in leadership, virtually every statement Heins has made is one that that was made before him by the WebOS team (internet of things, carriers want a third place player, long-term vision, creating a mobile computing platform not simply a hardware maker, we are different between we make a keyboard phone and people want those in large numbers... etc etc).
    WebOS had access to HP's pockets, but they had no major inroads with the carrier networks. BBRY had already established ties with global carriers before their troubles began. That eliminates a huge associated cost that would have dragged HP to its death had they made a serious run at the marketplace with WebOS.

Also, the number of licensing agreements that coming as part of making a smartphone is staggering. Neither HP nor Palm were major players in that regard. BBRY sits on a sizable patent portfolio relating to smartphones, OS development and security.

The statements made by both companies may be similar, but that really is only because that's where everyone see's the future heading. You can't bash Heins for having foresight anymore than you can bash Palm for being ill-prepared to deal with the economics of the modern smartphone platform wars. Just because you've got a vision doesn't mean you have the ability to bring that vision into reality.

The only current difference with the market leaders is that Google and Apple are both trying to 'innovate' by creating new peripherals, the Google Glass and Apple iWatch. But there's a backlash in those areas. Wearing Google Glass in public turns you into a creepy gla$$hole. And in light of Apple's history with doing stupid things like transmitting credentials in plain text and divulging user information to the NSA, the i'mWatchingyou[TM] seems equally creepy.

The real innovation and change will come from not just the creation of new peripherals, but new communication paradigms. The Arab spring wouldn't have been possible without the social media experiment. Cross-platform BBM represents a pretty big jump, especially since the network is largely secure and private. It will likely see massive adoption, which will propel BBRY back into the mindshare and relevance.

My 2 cents.

(Which, because I'm in Canada, rounds down to be worth nothing.)
    07-25-13 06:49 AM
    The only current difference with the market leaders is that Google and Apple are both trying to 'innovate' by creating new peripherals, the Google Glass and Apple iWatch. But there's a backlash in those areas. Wearing Google Glass in public turns you into a creepy gla$$hole. And in light of Apple's history with doing stupid things like transmitting credentials in plain text and divulging user information to the NSA, the i'mWatchingyou[TM] seems equally creepy.

The real innovation and change will come from not just the creation of new peripherals, but new communication paradigms. The Arab spring wouldn't have been possible without the social media experiment. Cross-platform BBM represents a pretty big jump, especially since the network is largely secure and private. It will likely see massive adoption, which will propel BBRY back into the mindshare and relevance.
    Isn't it somewhat ironic that you disparage Google and Apple's attempts to "innovate" when these companies are actually adding some new nodes to the "internet of things?" And yet you are implying that Blackberry is the one doing "real innovation" when they are taking an existing product and making it available to two other platforms? How do you define innovation?
    07-25-13 07:04 AM
    Isn't it somewhat ironic that you disparage Google and Apple's attempts to "innovate" when they are actually adding some things to the "internet of things?" And that you are implying that Blackberry is doing "real innovation" by taking an existing product and making it available to two other platforms? How do you define innovation?
    Google and Apple are going straight for the 'internet of creepy things'. Stuff that seems straight out of old spy movies, because they're designed to be used surreptitiously.

BlackBerry's innovation involves developing secure means of communication between devices. Not just an 'internet of things', a 'secure internet of things'. BBM is just a small piece of that bigger picture.
    07-25-13 07:08 AM
    TomTom integrated into BlackBerry Maps

TomTom on Thursday announced an updated agreement with BlackBerry to provide real-time traffic information for the maps app on BlackBerry 10.

?Having accurate and up-to-date traffic information integrated in BlackBerry Maps is an important feature for customers, and TomTom is a recognised leader that provides traffic data to many companies in the market,? said Adrian Gould, VP of Handheld Software Product Management at BlackBerry.?We are pleased to expand our relationship with TomTom in support of BlackBerry 10 customers.?

?By integrating TomTom Traffic, BlackBerry?s smartphone customers will have access to the most accurate traffic information available,? said Charles Cautley, Managing Director of TomTom Automotive & Licensing.?We are proud to be supporting BlackBerry to deliver enhanced location-based services to its subscribers across the globe.?

http://www.iol.co.za/scitech/technol...4#.UfETP5pMXHw
    07-25-13 07:10 AM

BlackBerry's innovation involves developing secure means of communication between devices. Not just an 'internet of things', a 'secure internet of things'. BBM is just a small piece of that bigger picture.

Cross-platform BBM represents a pretty big jump, especially since the network is largely secure and private.
    BBM already had been secure and private for years, right? So is the innovation here, the "big jump" as you call it, the fact that they're porting it to iOS and Android ?

When regular people use the word "innovate", they have a higher standard in mind. By definition it has to have an element of newness. That new Chromecast gadget announced yesterday is innovative, for example.
    07-25-13 07:13 AM
    Well Faucette is out talking about BB again. Sorry if this is old news but the Ottawa Gazette online posted an article about the layoffs and man they must be out to lunch on their stock info. Anyways Faucette said that the Q5 only sold 5,000 units, that Phones 4U has sent all their Z10 stock back and won't be carrying it anymore.

Has anyone heard/read this before, how will the layoffs effect stock price? Is this Faucette's way of killing any stock jump over the news of the layoffs?

Humm.. I just checked the article and it was published July 10, yet it has a 14min new listing on news of BB.
    07-25-13 07:23 AM
    And this is where BlackBerry needs to step up and clarify things. But why do I believe they will FAIL us investors and fans and users of their devices yet again. Getting real tired of this ignorance from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and take99 like this.
    07-25-13 07:23 AM
    07-25-13 07:26 AM
    First I'm not here to bash!

The case for BBRY from my point of View:

The stock will go down to at least $8 EZ and 75% of chance to $7.75 based on the same set of criterias that I used for AAPL to go long (No discrimination here) .

Feel fre to ask questions if you have some & good luck to all
    Thanks for your post!

I think that I agree with your logic.

I'm a fanboy and didn't sell until after the earnings. Fortunately I broke even! However, even before the June ER there were clearly signs of trouble in the stock price with lower highs and repeatedly breaking the lower channel. It is important to be agnostic about stock picks.

Now I think that I will get back in, but the question is when.... Somewhere around $8 makes sense to me. But I would like to see a bottom form somewhere first.

There are many different ways to measure Book Value, but clearly BBRY is a bit below BV again. So that means a good buying opportunity is presenting itself and the question is when to jump in.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-25-13 07:26 AM
    BBM already had been secure and private for years, right? So is the innovation here, the "big jump" as you call it, the fact that they're porting it to iOS and Android ?

When regular people use the word "innovate", they have a higher standard in mind. By definition it has to have an element of newness. That new Chromecast gadget announced yesterday is innovative, for example.
    Is it? Nope. The pricing? Yes.

This $100 Dongle Lets You Send Video to a Dumb TV's HDMI Input via Wi-Fi
    07-25-13 07:28 AM
    Google and Apple are going straight for the 'internet of creepy things'. Stuff that seems straight out of old spy movies, because they're designed to be used surreptitiously.

just as a side-note - Because I'm a management academic and not a techy, innovation means a very specific thing to me - it's a product development or invention that adds value in a way that end users will pay for. So WebOS had lots of *technical* inventions but because consumers pass them over, they are not innovations to me because the execution means as much if not more than the invention alone.

See that is a perfect example - if google gets widespread adoption, that's an innovation in the market, it's largely irrelevant to me that someone invented it before them.

Well Faucette is out talking about BB again. Sorry if this is old news but the Ottawa Gazette online posted an article about the layoffs and man they must be out to lunch on their stock info. Anyways Faucette said that the Q5 only sold 5,000 units, that Phones 4U has sent all their Z10 stock back and won't be carrying it anymore.

Has anyone heard/read this before, how will the layoffs effect stock price? Is this Faucette's way of killing any stock jump over the news of the layoffs?

Humm.. I just checked the article and it was published July 10, yet it has a 14min new listing on news of BB.
    I've been trying to track UK Q5 sales - there is no evident buzz and informal chats with local stores suggest that sales have indeed been poor - the problem is that here it is priced against last year's hero phones and some real solid mid-range phones plus Nokia's cheap but good WP devices.
    07-25-13 07:29 AM
    Speaking of Q5 - yowza - this is maybe the worst review I've seen of it but feeds into the consistent message that this is overpriced:

Cape Town - BlackBerry’s Q5 touch and type smartphone feels like a joke without the punchline. It’s cheap and plasticky, wildly overpriced (R5 000/US$420), has random bugs that cause it to stop and restart (I even got the bleeding blue screen of death) and is entering the market too late to make a dent. So here’s BlackBerry’s Q5, a smartphone with a great screen, but the last phone anyone needs to own.
    This is quite telling about the marketplace it is being launched in:

Please read this important announcement that almost slipped my mind:

There is no free internet with the Q5. I know that it looks like a Curve and you’d expect there to be free internet which is the primary reason most would consider a BlackBerry. But you have to pay for every megabyte.
    BlackBerry Q5: it
    07-25-13 07:35 AM

Regular people?

Apple hasn't invented a single thing. They just repackage and rebrand ideas they get from other people. Seriously, name something Apple actually 'invented'.

The only new thing chromecast brings to the TV experience is access to Google Play. Access to media, browsing, youtube and netflix is nothing new. All they've really done is created a new way to sell you things, and since they're selling them for so cheap, they're likely earning nothing from the device itself, relying solely on the revenue generated from ads and Google Play. How is this innovative?

The evolution of BBM from being PIN-based to email is a small one, but it's what enabled the move away from BBM being BlackBerry-device specific. That's a small innovation, but its an important one. The move away from PIN's will enable future devices to support the communications platform through software, without being tied to hardware identifiers. This makes the entire communications platform cross-platform, without sacrificing security.

It's not a 'big jump', it's a small step. But it's in the right direction.
    07-25-13 07:35 AM
    Hello everyone, I'm still following the conversation here, from a distance. I'll post a chart for you to start the 17th day of basing off:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-july-25-2013-chart.jpg

As you can see, we are still trending ever so slightly downward here but our time is spent pressing against TA resistance now. It would take next to nothing to have a monster pop from here, with 16 days in, the Bollinger Bands are really tightening up here. JLagoon has been spot on with his charts, and you guys are getting excellent coverage there now, but, mine are bigger, so I'll continue to post them! LOL

As for the short interest, the name of the short game is to "encourage" stock holders to wholesale their investments out and June 28th was the perfect storm to get those weak hands to let go of their investments. Unfortunately, they didn't get enough sellers to come out and dump at these lower levels despite churning the stock to the tune of close to 400 million shares over the period. The volume has dried up again and we are left waiting for BBRY to update us on BES10 and the A10 launch. As for the job losses, it makes sense that after a 5,000 human count dump, they would be left to hiring a few hundred new employees and letting a few hundred go, companies with 11,000 employees are rebalancing their staff all the time.

There is little reason to suspect that we will break out of this tight formation today but as we near the full Bollinger Band limit of 20-days, sitting a penny under the 3-ema and the 5-dma won't likely continue. Have a great day and let's hear something positive from the company!
    07-25-13 07:38 AM
    Good to have you back here, Morgan!
    07-25-13 07:43 AM
    pre-market still holding up in light of "bad" news....always a good sign....
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    07-25-13 07:44 AM
    07-25-13 07:46 AM
    First thing I read in this article: In this Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2013,file photo, Thorsten Heins, CEO of Research in Motion, introduces the BlackBerry Z10, in New York. Research in Motion Ltd. reports quarterly financial results before the market opens on Friday, June 28, 2013. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File)

Pretty sure he is holding the Q10.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    07-25-13 07:51 AM
    Pretty good! Let's hope that last slam dunk was started from the 3-point line.
    07-25-13 08:06 AM
    Hey, there's a bit of a shart-squeeze going on today on FB. Only 2% of shares short, but, that's still close to 40 million shares being squeezed. With a lot of luck, I might get back to even on FB.
    lcjr likes this.
    07-25-13 08:25 AM
    Hey, there's a bit of a shart-squeeze going on today on FB. Only 2% of shares short, but, that's still close to 40 million shares being squeezed. With a lot of luck, I might get back to even on FB.
    I looked at it back when it was $18 but didn't fully believe on what they were doing. In retrospect, it would have been really nice to jump in.
    07-25-13 08:30 AM
    Oh man! I had to laugh out loud when I saw the media's perception and the pic was a punching bag!!!
    cjcampbell likes this.
    07-25-13 08:40 AM
    Here's to wishing the same thing for BB......
    lcjr and Robert Halloran like this.
    07-25-13 08:42 AM
113,256 ... 15941595159615971598 ...