View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Thank you.....So, say I want to create an app for my business I should really pay ( because I don't have the time to learn) someone to code it in HTML5....are other devices ready now too?
    Well, basically BB10 and Tizen (samy) both support very well html5.
    But it's not 100% accurate to declare that you can get rid of sdks.
    You still have to address device specific APIs when dealing with hardware for now. Yet the port is really not a challenge and this will probably be less and less necessary.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 08:13 PM
    Well, basically BB10 and Tizen (samy) both support very well html5.
    But it's not 100% accurate to declare that you can get rid of sdks.
    You still have to address device specific APIs when dealing with hardware for now. Yet the port is really not a challenge and this will probably be less and less necessary.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you....So when can you start?
    Bugmapper and YangFui like this.
    07-22-13 08:19 PM
    Not sure how true this one is. FBI is federal but not DoD. I'm thinking there will be some agencies that jump on something new or different but who knows what that entails or for how long. I'm not sure the FBI even used BlackBerry before or what percentage used BB. The important thing to remember as we share space with other devices within the DoD is that BB has software we will use besides the devices. This DoD plan is real new and still not complete. We've only heard bits and pieces so far. It will be interesting to see how this implementation plan rolls out.
    07-22-13 08:22 PM
    Please no. Not back to the "we don't need apps, just a really good browser", followed by quotations of high beta HTML 5 compliance scores.

(Speaking slowly) Apps matter. The functionality/performance available through the browser won't cut it for the majority of cases. Sad but true. Unfortunately with BB10 around 1% (and I am being generous) of the smartphone base, few developers who want to make money will bother diverting resources there. Chicken and egg. Fair or not, it is reality.

Perhaps BBRY could have done something to get market share. Maybe they still can. Nokia is selling a competent WP8 smartphone contract free for $150 (on sale for $120 at best buy until July 25) in Canada.

Product:
    Rogers Nokia Lumia 520 Prepaid Smartphone : Rogers Prepaid - Best Buy Canada

Review:
    Nokia Lumia 520 review | Phone Reviews | TechRadar

Nokia cannot be making money directly on the phone, but sales --> market share --> app developers bothering to write WP8 apps --> higher end phone sales just might work.

$400 Q5s definitely won't.

*Maybe* a $225 Z5 could. Would BBRY break even or, more likely, lose money on every handset? Probably, but if BB10 doesn't get traction in the market, driving mindshare/appshare etc etc, they are finished in the hardware business anyway. Go big or go home. They still have a bit of cash, they should quit hoarding it to look prettier as a takeover target or just put up the "for sale" sign now.

The other option is to simply quit the handset business now and try to make it as a software/services business. Bleeding themselves dry by slowly failing (perhaps over the next 12 - 18 months) with poor selling overpriced handsets seems to me to be the worst of all possible choices.
    You don't figure that "html5" is not
    A browser language in BB10 environment. It's a coding language in conjonction with JS and CSS and natively supported. There are numerous apps you'll never know that they are html5. You may even use several already...

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 08:25 PM
    Thank you....So when can you start?
    When you're ready !
    Nite guys !
    Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    07-22-13 08:26 PM
    What exactly does "Samsung set to steal" or "FBI looks to Dump" mean?
    Typical attention getter headlines that almost never have any solid or reliable content within the article.
    07-22-13 08:26 PM
    OT:

Hey, lcjr (and anyone else remotely interested)

I know you are still making use of the PlayBook. One of the things that irks me about the PB is the checkerboard/ridiculous browser. Stumbled on this thread that looks like a big improvement:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...le-now-830403/

(though some are reporting some freezing, the developer sounds like he may be quick about ironing out bugs)
    Have you tried it yourself? I'm assuming if I don't like it I can switch back? I'm using my Playbook right now so I'll check out this new opportunity. Thanks for thinking of me and the other Playbook users!

Edit: oh, it's an app. I downloaded it.
    Shanerredflag and cjcampbell like this.
    07-22-13 08:32 PM
    Have you tried it yourself? I'm assuming if I don't like it I can switch back? I'm using my Playbook right now so I'll check out this new opportunity. Thanks for thinking of me and the other Playbook users!
    Nah, not yet... Will test drive it later in the week (too spoiled with my phone's browser capability at the moment) But, Shanerredflag is on it now, so I'll let him answer
    07-22-13 08:36 PM
    Okay, here's what is ticking me off to no end... Why do almost all apps need my personal files and information to run. If I decline then the app doesn't download. Wtf. I can see where apps using my location is relevant but why would a normal app need my documents??? This is really passing me off.
    07-22-13 08:38 PM
    Nah, not yet... Will test drive it later in the week (too spoiled with my phone's browser capability at the moment) But, Shanerredflag is on it now, so I'll let him answer
    Thx...yes, it is absolutely an improvement...opens each session in a unique folder similar to chrome....is faster, smoother and seems to transition well....like it.
    cjcampbell, m0de25, CDM76 and 1 others like this.
    07-22-13 08:47 PM
    Okay, here's what is ticking me off to no end... Why do almost all apps need my personal files and information to run. If I decline then the app doesn't download. Wtf. I can see where apps using my location is relevant but why would a normal app need my documents??? This is really passing me off.
    Feel your concerns....would much rather pay a buck or two than give access.
    lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    07-22-13 08:49 PM
    It needs access to files so that you can download off the web, save pictures, upload files... etc. It's all good man
    07-22-13 08:49 PM
    It needs access to files so that you can download off the web, save pictures, upload files... etc. It's all good man
    LOL....yeah....I knew that.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    07-22-13 08:52 PM
    LOL....yeah....I knew that.
    And I believe you too
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    07-22-13 08:52 PM
    Yeah, that's my understanding as well. As disconcerting as it seems, most programs/apps genuinely require info in order to run and make use of important features. Like, for example in the case of a browser, I would think the simple act of accessing your cache can technically be considered as accessing stored files.
    07-22-13 08:56 PM
    Thx...yes, it is absolutely an improvement...opens each session in a unique folder similar to chrome....is faster, smoother and seems to transition well....like it.
    I tried it and it is smoother but ill have to delete and reinstall. There's a shadow square on the right side of the pages that doesn't go away and is on every website you open.
    07-22-13 08:59 PM
    Yeah, that's my understanding as well. As disconcerting as it seems, most programs/apps genuinely require info in order to run and make use of important features. Like, for example in the case if a browser, I would think the simple act of accessing your cache can technically be considered as accessing stored files.
    Or if I'm on FB and want to upload a pic. It will need access to my files, or if I'm applying for a job and need to upload my resume, or I want to download a music file or document. There are lots of reasons and scenarios where this would be needed.
    07-22-13 09:00 PM
    I tried it and it is smoother but ill have to delete and reinstall. There's a shadow square on the right side of the pages that doesn't go away and is on every website you open.
    I have that too... was going to go over to the PB area and see if there's an explanation for it.
    lcjr likes this.
    07-22-13 09:01 PM
    Yeah, that's my understanding as well. As disconcerting as it seems, most programs/apps genuinely require info in order to run and make use of important features. Like, for example in the case if a browser, I would think the simple act of accessing your cache can technically be considered as accessing stored files.
    Still not understanding why an app needs access to my picture files like it says it does. Or are you saying the apps need access to the picture folder for downloads and such?

Edit: never mind, I get it now.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    07-22-13 09:01 PM
    Yeah....I thought something was wrong to but it's actually a quick scroll feature....takes a couple tries to get comfortable but place finger on square and pull up or down....top to bottom page real fast, kind a like it.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, lcjr and m0de25 like this.
    07-22-13 09:05 PM
    Still not understanding why an app needs access to my picture files like it says it does. Or are you saying the apps need access to the picture folder for downloads and such?
    Yes... if it doesn't have access to those files, you cannot upload or download files as the browser would not have any point of reference or anywhere to save them to. Your PC browser has access to all your files as well.
    lcjr and m0de25 like this.
    Me too! Just downloaded the newest AIO remote for my Z10 (controls media player remotely) and now it wants to use BBM for some reason.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    You can get rid of it by tapping the menu, top right, and then tap the scrollpad. Shane says he's used it but I don't get it yet... Guess I should be more patient.... maybe.
    lcjr likes this.
    07-22-13 09:06 PM
    the square is a quick scroll pad . it can be turned off in the settings.
    cjcampbell, bungaboy and lcjr like this.
    07-22-13 09:07 PM
    You can get rid of it by tapping the menu, top right, and then tap the scrollpad. Shane says he's used it but I don't get it yet... Guess I should be more patient.... maybe.
    More beer....worked for me. haha

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 09:08 PM
113,250 ... 15771578157915801581 ...