View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Have you seen AAPL lately at $360? if not watch the stock tomorrow!!
    07-22-13 04:20 PM
    Rest M8, hope your feeling better.

Lots of good stuff today guys n gal...thx.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 04:26 PM
    I don't know if anyone followed up what was mentioned a couple of weeks ago regarding IMG. Morgan had mentioned it too.
    Just sold them. Around 30% up since it was mentioned a couple of weeks ago.
    Sure did! Thanks Morgan

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 04:37 PM
    Well it's Beer-Thirty here gang! We didn't sky-rocket to $18 today, but there's always tomorrow.
    07-22-13 05:17 PM
    Question....BB 10 supports HTML 5...so if a company writes software to access their service or product in HTML5 they cover all platforms, correct? One outlay of cash to write the code and done....not one for iOS one for Android etc.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 05:23 PM
    Question....BB 10 supports HTML 5...so if a company writes software to access their service or product in HTML5 they cover all platforms, correct? One outlay of cash to write the code and done....not one for iOS one for Android etc.

Posted via CB10
    There's a belief out there that HTML5 could be the most efficient method for devs to build apps in the future. It's much more cost efficient as you only have to update the one app which will work across all platforms on HTML5, without needing to get involved with NDKs and such. This will give you a wider audience across many platforms, thus make more money.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, Shanerredflag and CDM76 like this.
    07-22-13 05:49 PM
    Looks like it's Wednesday.
    Yes, Wed after market closes. I could be wrong, but I figure the SI should drop by 20% or is down to 150M or so.
    07-22-13 05:56 PM
    There's a belief out there that HTML5 could be the most efficient method for devs to build apps in the future. It's much more cost efficient as you only have to update the one app which will work across all platforms on HTML5, without needing to get involved with NDKs and such. This will give you a wider audience across many platforms, thus make more money.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you.....So, say I want to create an app for my business I should really pay ( because I don't have the time to learn) someone to code it in HTML5....are other devices ready now too?
    07-22-13 06:13 PM
    My company have started to roll out the Z10 / Q10. Dropped by one of the IT guy's office and saw about 10 phones. The phones are being distributed in all our regional and head office. Old BlackBerry phones will be upgraded as the contract ends. Sorry, I don't know how many phones ate being used by our company, but most of the management are on Ottawa.

Just keeping positive. I wish we hear some good news from BlackBerry themselves.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 06:13 PM
    Thank you.....So, say I want to create an app for my business I should really pay ( because I don't have the time to learn) someone to code it in HTML5....are other devices ready now too?
    Technically yes. I'm not familiar with iOS and Android, and whether the app would open in the actual browser or the browser is wrapped within the app. Something to explore if you wanted to make an app.

I'm not a coder but that is my understanding of how HTML5 works and how it has been explained.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    07-22-13 06:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    Good question. In theory, yes: You write an HTML 5 application once and it runs everywhere. That's if it is written against HTML 5 standards. Also, Javascript is often used in HTML 5-powered applications, so the phone rendering the HTML 5 code needs to honor not only the HTML 5 standards but also Javascript standards in order for it to work the same way across devices and platforms.

Sometimes an app just cannot be fully ported, however, due to the hardware differences among modern-day smartphones. For instance, iOS might expose a special HTML extension or Javascript function that accesses, say, the program currently running on your networked Apple TV device. Assuming that Apple hasn't published the spec that lets a device communicate with Apple TV, that HTML extension or Javascript function clearly wouldn't work on phones powered by Android or BB10.

That's why the standards are so important--they let developers know which features are expected to run on which platforms, and let them anticipate compatibility issues. Even though the standards are well-documented, some phones handle HTML 5/CSS tags or Javascript functions differently. To lift the burden from software developers, frameworks such as PhoneGap (phonegap.com) have appeared. Instead of trying to figure out what works on what device, developers write code against the framework and the framework generates code that is designed to work across all modern devices without needing to be modified, customized, or tested. Clearly, even PhoneGap wouldn't be able to get an Apple TV function to work on a non-Apple device. PhoneGap clearly can't expose device-specific features. If you use it and want 100% portability then you cannot write an application that uses any hardware-specific features.

A BlackBerry example is the message-indicator light on the front of the phone. The iPhone doesn't have this and, as far as I know, neither do any of the Android-powered phones. So if you're writing an HTML 5 application and it needs to interact with that light then you can get the application to run on other phones without crashing, but you clearly can't interact with an LED that's just not there.

So, in summary, well-behaved, standards-compliant HTML 5 apps *should* run everywhere (even on desktop browsers) and should look and behave the same way. In reality, it is the browser that makes the decision how to render the HTML and how to respond to Javascript instructions--and never has there been a time in modern history when all browsers agreed as to exactly how all HTML and all Javascript should be rendered. Inevitably, there will always be minor portability issues in all but the simplest applications.
    07-22-13 06:38 PM
    Hi everyone! Thanks for the kind thoughts around here, I have been "allowed" to look at my phone today so I can "thank" or "like" some posts. I wish I could place a few posters on ignore but alas, that's not a CB mobile function yet! LOL

I have a chance to post a couple of charts here as JLagoon requested so here goes:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-11-year-chart-b-july-21-2013.jpg

JL, I shortened the timeframe of this chart to show you the bench mark lows for the cycle, using 2002 as my starting point, you will notice that the last time we visited the downside in 2002, we didn't make it to the support line before commencing a rally. I suspect that we won't hit the $ 8.00/shr mark before starting our long leg up again. It is much more bullish to fail to test the low on the second attempt and this is likely the case as the volume has dried up down here. For the past 3 weeks we are only slightly negative and trending as CJ has stated, just under a breakout point of the 5-dma and 3-ema.

Here is the close up chart of the same:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-11-year-chart-c-july-21-2013.jpg

I believe we are setting up for a substantial pop here, one that sees us close the gap above us. While we wait, the 5-dma is overhead resistance and we'll track this indicator until we get the news we need to make that "pop".

Nice work JLagoon, you are spot on with your charts man! I should be able to get back to posting very soon, we are still dealing with some issues but they are much more under control today than last week. See you guys and girl soon!! GL
    zyben, Kid Vibe, bungaboy and 28 others like this.
    07-22-13 06:43 PM
    07-22-13 06:48 PM
  14. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    Please no. Not back to the "we don't need apps, just a really good browser", followed by quotations of high beta HTML 5 compliance scores.

(Speaking slowly) Apps matter. The functionality/performance available through the browser won't cut it for the majority of cases. Sad but true. Unfortunately with BB10 around 1% (and I am being generous) of the smartphone base, few developers who want to make money will bother diverting resources there. Chicken and egg. Fair or not, it is reality.

Perhaps BBRY could have done something to get market share. Maybe they still can. Nokia is selling a competent WP8 smartphone contract free for $150 (on sale for $120 at best buy until July 25) in Canada.

Product:
    Rogers Nokia Lumia 520 Prepaid Smartphone : Rogers Prepaid - Best Buy Canada

Review:
    Nokia Lumia 520 review | Phone Reviews | TechRadar

Nokia cannot be making money directly on the phone, but sales --> market share --> app developers bothering to write WP8 apps --> higher end phone sales just might work.

$400 Q5s definitely won't.

*Maybe* a $225 Z5 could. Would BBRY break even or, more likely, lose money on every handset? Probably, but if BB10 doesn't get traction in the market, driving mindshare/appshare etc etc, they are finished in the hardware business anyway. Go big or go home. They still have a bit of cash, they should quit hoarding it to look prettier as a takeover target or just put up the "for sale" sign now.

The other option is to simply quit the handset business now and try to make it as a software/services business. Bleeding themselves dry by slowly failing (perhaps over the next 12 - 18 months) with poor selling overpriced handsets seems to me to be the worst of all possible choices.
    m0de25 and cgk like this.
    07-22-13 06:49 PM
    I am also having the same problem.

Is the forum broken for me? I don't see any post from him since the 17th, and I'm pretty sure you guys have posted a lot more recently than that so you presumably didn't see his post from then only just today. Did something get deleted?
    07-22-13 06:53 PM
    Rumors, I read another article today.

A Blackberry spokesperson told The INQUIRER, "We have been honored to serve the FBI for many years without a single security breach. BlackBerry understands that our customers, more than ever, must ensure the security of their mobile communications from malicious activity.
    "We also understand that untested and unproven mobile solutions can be risky and potentially pose threats to enterprise or national security. That is why we have taken BlackBerry security to a new level with BlackBerry 10 for enterprise.
    "We cannot comment on unannounced decisions of others, but remain committed to ensuring our US and other customers have the world's most secure mobile solutions."
    A spokeswoman for the FBI declined to comment.

Samsung set to steal FBI phone deal from rival Blackberry- The Inquirer
    07-22-13 07:00 PM
    Hi everyone!

Nice work JLagoon, you are spot on with your charts man! I should be able to get back to posting very soon, we are still dealing with some issues but they are much more under control today than last week. See you guys and girl soon!! GL
    I'm old but only one word describes my feeling of pleasure that your doing well.....Awesomesuace.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 07:12 PM
    What exactly does "Samsung set to steal" or "FBI looks to Dump" mean?
    07-22-13 07:30 PM
    Shadowy banger (Mike E).... I understand the argument from pre 5 HTML but...is an app developed within 5 guidelines not a good thing?

Only asking as I feel if done properly with standardized protocols why would I not save costs to reach the widest audience?

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 07:40 PM
    What exactly does "Samsung set to steal" or "FBI looks to Dump" mean?
    It means "unsubstantiated"

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, rim4ever, dusdal and 1 others like this.
    07-22-13 07:46 PM
    OT:

Hey, lcjr (and anyone else remotely interested)

I know you are still making use of the PlayBook. One of the things that irks me about the PB is the checkerboard/ridiculous browser. Stumbled on this thread that looks like a big improvement:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...le-now-830403/

(though some are reporting some freezing, the developer sounds like he may be quick about ironing out bugs)
    07-22-13 07:47 PM
    Shadowy banger (Mike E).... I understand the argument from pre 5 HTML but...is an app developed within 5 guidelines not a good thing?

Only asking as I feel if done properly with standardized protocols why would I not save costs to reach the widest audience?

Posted via CB10
    Pay no mind... he was using it as a weak opportunity to go into one of his doomsday rants. To have a standard would save. Even if you had to have a slightly modified code for the wrapper that launched the web app, it would be easier and more efficient than writing "natively" for each platform. At least that's how I see it, but that doesn't make it right or correct
    07-22-13 08:06 PM
    OT:

Hey, lcjr (and anyone else remotely interested)

I know you are still making use of the PlayBook. One of the things that irks me about the PB is the checkerboard/ridiculous browser. Stumbled on this thread that looks like a big improvement:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...le-now-830403/

(though some are reporting some freezing, the developer sounds like he may be quick about ironing out bugs)
    And I'm typing this from my PlayBook on Origami....it is better, kinda like Chrome IMO. Thx
    m0de25 and cjcampbell like this.
    07-22-13 08:06 PM
    Pay no mind... he was using it as a weak opportunity to go into one of his doomsday rants. To have a standard would save. Even if you had to have a slightly modified code for the wrapper that launched the web app, it would be easier and more efficient than writing "natively" for each platform. At least that's how I see it, but that doesn't make it right or correct
    Thank you sir....
    plane6065 likes this.
    07-22-13 08:08 PM
    And might drive to Calgary and get a picture with Mikey yet too. Haha
    cjcampbell likes this.
    07-22-13 08:10 PM
113,250 ... 15761577157815791580 ...