Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    My Monday Morning Musings

BB has dismal numbers - Company Dead, stock plummets

Samsung and HTC have dismal numbers: Market saturated, SP numbers make small adjustment to reflect slow sales
    In part, it comes down to BlackBerry 's poor guidance and sending a mixed message with the launch of a new bb7 device. In addition, the pick up by existing subscribers was rather disappointing. (Let's assume all bb10 subscribers were existing then 3 million on 70+ million is rather poor conversion)
    07-08-13 10:53 AM
    My apologies if this has been posted already. - BlackBerry seen beating Street in next 2 quarters

BlackBerry seen beating Street in next 2 quarters - BNN News
    BlackistheBerry and bungaboy like this.
    07-08-13 10:55 AM
    BBRY has grown its cash pile to $3.1 billion in cash and investments. The CEO has done a good job of preserving the company's cash. If you read the transcript of the earnings call, he emphasized the company's financial strength at least a couple of times. I guess there wasn't much else that was positive that he could talk about. So we know that the company is good at hoarding cash and saving it for a rainy day, but maybe it's time for a different strategy. Maybe it's time to spend/invest that cash instead of hoarding it. When there's cash, there's opportunity. I can think of three ways they could spend some of that cash: buying back shares, making an acquisition, and increasing spending on marketing.
    I strongly suggest you read it full : BlackBerry: When There's Cash, There's Opportunity - Seeking Alpha
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-08-13 10:55 AM
    My apologies if this has been posted already. - BlackBerry seen beating Street in next 2 quarters

12:39 PM, E.T. | June 7, 2013
    That's pre Q1 E.R, isn't it ?
    cjcampbell, bungaboy and Bugmapper like this.
    07-08-13 10:58 AM
    ??? no quote refresh on TSX ???
    Yahoo bug or ....?

EDIT : Yahoo bug. Sry.
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg   The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png  
    07-08-13 11:07 AM
    Yes, you are right but what has been ignored is that BB had both quarterly growth, and YoY growth. Aside from not being able to collect the millions owed from Venezuela, they pretty much hit what their guidance had called for yet the stock tumbled like it was doomed.
    But how do you square the loss of subscriber growth as well as the discounting of devices to move them past the faitful?
    07-08-13 11:23 AM

Grenade!

Posted via CB10
    07-08-13 11:34 AM
    Never mind
    07-08-13 11:35 AM
    But how do you square the loss of subscriber growth as well as the discounting of devices to move them past the faitful?
    I don't know how they calculate the sub base and I don't know about the discounting of units. They did forecast single digit loss, percentage wise, of subs and that's exactly what happened. There was a lower margin percentage but one can only speculate as to where that was attributed... unless I missed something.

The problems arose from analysts making predictions which were outside of the company guidance, us included here, and therefore calling it a miss. Of course when one attributes the Venezuela debt, and you can't ignore it, it was a miss by near 100 million so sure, we have to take that into account, but that debt is in no way a write off and hopefully can be collected at some point in the future. BB is not the only company dealing with the situation so there will be some sort of solution at some point.

EDIT - I was just thinking, and am wondering if the lack of ability to collect on receivables would have a direct effect on the gross margin. I would assume so as they are currently running a 100% cost for operations and sales in that country so that could be the drop in percentage.
    Last edited by cjcampbell; 07-08-13 at 11:58 AM.
    morganplus8, m0de25, zyben and 1 others like this.
    07-08-13 11:42 AM
    That's pre Q1 E.R, isn't it ?
    Yeah, he was wrong on the first of his two quarters....
    07-08-13 11:50 AM
    Instead of opening BlackBerry stores couldn't BlackBerry open up some kiosks at a few of the big malls? I've saw a Microsoft kiosk and I thought why now BlackBerry? BlackBerry needs it's own sales people pushing BlackBerry products.

Posted via CB10
    I could imagine the verbal abuse. They might have to stand behind chicken wire just to protect themselves.
    07-08-13 12:05 PM
    summarizing blackberry notes.
    1. blackberry short term shares were destined to be punished even if blackberry had reported Q1 profit.
    2. 135 million shares sold/dumped/purchased/traded/exchanged at the controlled price of $10.50.
    3. BB10 can only convert the Majority existing BBOS7 users if BES10 is installed first.
    4. Every BBOS7 to BB10 converter or a brand new BB10 customer is also/still Blackberry customer but is not considered a blackberry subscriber in media's eyes.
    5. existing products have not been fully advertised and launched properly but they are good products.
    6. More new phones, BBM cross platform, Cars and machine integration, BBM Money, Data compression savings for BYOD between $10-$20 per month per device using BES10 should be a very compelling for large corporations to upgrade beside security.
    7. Android 4.2.2 upgrade with hardware acceleration will make the upcoming high end phone more desirable. Google already has an extension to install existing android apps. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/s...pp%20manageron
    8. TH put a cold water on the artificial hype created by the stock market enemy is not necessarily a bad thing.
    9. high end smartphone market is slowing down and no new ground breaking innovation coming up, which should give blackberry enough time to stick around to live through most smartphone users upgrade cycle.
    10. BB10 is the latest OS in the smartphone world and is very solid OS. BB10/QNX OS still has more potential which needs to be explored and tried for not only the smartphones but in Cars, medical sector, Money transferring and commerce and others. keep in mind that QNX exists in coffee machines to cars etc.
    11. Blackberry has no debt.
    12. Press, WS, HF are all against blackberry that's the reason stock price is down. I need to make sure that I have enough cash on side to take advantage of the low stock prices. there is nothing more frustrating then maxing out the cash when you know that these low prices are good buy. or at least help in bringing average down.
    13. the stock price could go down further after tomorrow's meeting.
    14. company has beaten their own projections in 2013 Q4 and almost met their own projections on 2014 Q1.
    15. cash position has gotten better.
    16. it is minimum 2 years launch project for BB10 and we are already 6 months in to it and 18 more months to go.
    17. BB10 can run fast on the low end processors. which is a plus and should keep the cost down.
    Disclosures.
    I am a long blackberry and I do some swing trade. I don't care about the market negative sentiments. I don't care about grammar and the spellings. I do like to see both side of the coin as long as it has some true basis to it. if I missed some points which I am sure that I only scratched the surface, please add. if you are trying to tell me the usual lines like "DOA, BUST, GOING OUT OF BUSINESS, etc" please don't waist your and my time.
    07-08-13 12:16 PM
    EDIT - I was just thinking, and am wondering if the lack of ability to collect on receivables would have a direct effect on the gross margin. I would assume so as they are currently running a 100% cost for operations and sales in that country so that could be the drop in percentage.
    It did have a direct effect on gross margin, as I recall. Not sure whether it was straight from the horse's mouth or something in an article, but my memory says that 2% of the drop in GM came from the fact they hadn't collected from Venezuela.
    07-08-13 12:29 PM
    A bid at 18.!!!!???? :? Okkkkkkkkkk

Sent from my SGH-I337M using CB Forums mobile app
    $40 then. OK?
    07-08-13 12:36 PM
    If the high end phone market is saturated then does it make sense for bbry to release the rumored A10? I am thinking that maybe bbry should focus only on improving the Z10 incrementally and start releasing lower end bb10 phones.
    07-08-13 12:38 PM
    I attached the latest research out of Bernstein... ignore the price target and focus on the argument for corporate clients. That's one of my big areas of concern.
    take99 likes this.
    07-08-13 12:50 PM
    If the high end phone market is saturated then does it make sense for bbry to release the rumored A10? I am thinking that maybe bbry should focus only on improving the Z10 incrementally and start releasing lower end bb10 phones.
    I don't know what the terms are like in the States but in Canada cell phone contracts are generally 1 year 2 years or 3 years. Putting out A10 at the right time will allow them to capture those renewal clients like myself who is looking for A10 a premium device.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-08-13 12:55 PM
    I remember when I first upgraded from blackberry 5790 to 7230 I was excited. each upgrade after that has same kind of reaction until iPhone came. but I still couldn't let go the Blackberry usability. finally I gave up because apps were getting big and OS7 was just too slow. so I moved on to an Iphone4s and then Iphone5 the day it came. iphone has a great screen and great selection of apps but it did not give me blackberry experience. my emails and texts started getting smaller and smaller and it does have some bugs but no one complains in the press because it is an iphone, but over all it is good phone. I do miss blackberry and there are many people like me who would like to see blackberry experience on a good looking 5 inch screen and are waiting for A10. I am already bored of my Iphone5 now and looking forward to get the blackberry experience. when mobile phone contract is up, most people do look at what else is available out there and most contracts get signed near Christmas time. blackberry having small market share, new os with fresh products have very good chances of shifting the existing market share to it's benefits. blackberry should have low end phone too and I agree with you on that.
    I must add that I though about my already purchased apps for Iphone, I am able to use them on my 3 ipads in the family. so no problem there.
    cjcampbell, Bugmapper and bungaboy like this.
    07-08-13 12:58 PM
    I attached the latest research out of Bernstein... ignore the price target and focus on the argument for corporate clients. That's one of my big areas of concern.
    I just read the report, thank you for posting.
    here is what I posted just prior to your post. I think I covered most of the concerns.
    summarizing blackberry notes.
    1. blackberry short term shares were destined to be punished even if blackberry had reported Q1 profit.
    2. 135 million shares sold/dumped/purchased/traded/exchanged at the controlled price of $10.50.
    3. BB10 can only convert the Majority existing BBOS7 users if BES10 is installed first.
    4. Every BBOS7 to BB10 converter or a brand new BB10 customer is also/still Blackberry customer but is not considered a blackberry subscriber in media's eyes.
    5. existing products have not been fully advertised and launched properly but they are good products.
    6. More new phones, BBM cross platform, Cars and machine integration, BBM Money, Data compression savings for BYOD between $10-$20 per month per device using BES10 should be a very compelling for large corporations to upgrade beside security.
    7. Android 4.2.2 upgrade with hardware acceleration will make the upcoming high end phone more desirable. Google already has an extension to install existing android apps. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/s...pp%20manageron
    8. TH put a cold water on the artificial hype created by the stock market enemy is not necessarily a bad thing.
    9. high end smartphone market is slowing down and no new ground breaking innovation coming up, which should give blackberry enough time to stick around to live through most smartphone users upgrade cycle.
    10. BB10 is the latest OS in the smartphone world and is very solid OS. BB10/QNX OS still has more potential which needs to be explored and tried for not only the smartphones but in Cars, medical sector, Money transferring and commerce and others. keep in mind that QNX exists in coffee machines to cars etc.
    11. Blackberry has no debt.
    12. Press, WS, HF are all against blackberry that's the reason stock price is down. I need to make sure that I have enough cash on side to take advantage of the low stock prices. there is nothing more frustrating then maxing out the cash when you know that these low prices are good buy. or at least help in bringing average down.
    13. the stock price could go down further after tomorrow's meeting.
    14. company has beaten their own projections in 2013 Q4 and almost met their own projections on 2014 Q1.
    15. cash position has gotten better.
    16. it is minimum 2 years launch project for BB10 and we are already 6 months in to it and 18 more months to go.
    17. BB10 can run fast on the low end processors. which is a plus and should keep the cost down.
    Disclosures.
    I am a long blackberry and I do some swing trade. I don't care about the market negative sentiments. I don't care about grammar and the spellings. I do like to see both side of the coin as long as it has some true basis to it. if I missed some points which I am sure that I only scratched the surface, please add. if you are trying to tell me the usual lines like "DOA, BUST, GOING OUT OF BUSINESS, etc" please don't waist your and my time.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-08-13 01:05 PM
    This article goes back to June 7. Misek lowered his target to $18 after the Q1 ER.

07-08-13 01:06 PM
    Thanks for posting. Yes, corporate adoption of BES10 is a concern. I noticed that they refer to the "Fortune 500" companies but nowhere do they mention government adoption of BB10 or BES10, companies other than Fortune 500, the impact of iOS and Android phones in the BES10 MDM revenue, and other sources of revenue, QNX auto, BBM channels, BBM money, QNX licensing, BBWorld, etc.

Not saying that they are wrong, just pointing out that the report is focused heavily on phone sales.

And yeah, the price target is pretty much what BBRY currently has in cash, plus a few photocopiers.
    07-08-13 01:39 PM
    JPM research, no price target/not rated; �slightly� more positive... unfortunately the price has fallen 9% since it was issued.

I think if TH announces anything new (of consequence) in tomm AGM, it�ll destroy any remaining equity research supporters...
    07-08-13 01:50 PM
    Thanks for posting. [/b]Yes, corporate adoption of BES10 is a concern. I noticed that they refer to the "Fortune 500" companies[/B] but nowhere do they mention government adoption of BB10 or BES10, companies other than Fortune 500, the impact of iOS and Android phones in the BES10 MDM revenue, and other sources of revenue, QNX auto, BBM channels, BBM money, QNX licensing, BBWorld, etc.

Not saying that they are wrong, just pointing out that the report is focused heavily on phone sales.

And yeah, the price target is pretty much what BBRY currently has in cash, plus a few photocopiers.
    Which is so vague as to be meaningless, they include "downloaded" as part of those numbers, which means virtually nothing.
    07-08-13 01:58 PM
    This is surprising. The Q5 will be sold in Canada.

BlackBerry Q5 coming to Fido | MobileSyrup.com
    07-08-13 02:07 PM
    This is surprising. The Q5 will be sold in Canada.

BlackBerry Q5 coming to Fido | MobileSyrup.com
    Good. I think it should have right away.
    Bugmapper and bungaboy like this.
    07-08-13 02:10 PM
113,250 ... 15011502150315041505 ...