View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    A midst the crappy news, here are some positives.
    "It's time". Luv it.
    07-03-13 07:55 AM
    What do you guys think of the Q5 pricing? I personally think it's way too expensive. It's selling for 320 pounds at carphone warehouse sim free. That works out to almost $500 US. That is not the right pricing strategy for what is supposed to be a mid range device. It should be in the $300 range until the bb10 os gets some adoption. Noone is going to spend that kind of money for a mid tier device on an unproven OS.
    Robinson7D likes this.
    07-03-13 07:56 AM
    What do you guys think of the Q5 pricing?
    Will fit with enterprises fleets (volume discounts expected).
    Have to see carriers on contract offers for individuals.
    Remember : this is not the low range device.
    W Hoa likes this.
    07-03-13 08:01 AM
    Will fit with enterprises fleets (volume discounts expected).
    Have to see carriers on contract offers for individuals.
    Remember : this is not the low range device.
    The only problem is that BBRY has no plans to release a low range bb10 device. They need to get these phones in the hands of ppl so they can see how great the OS is. I'm kind of scared that their desire for higher margins is eventually going to hurt them in the long run. Majority of people aren't going to pony up premium prices for an unproven OS from a negatively viewed company. They need as much traction as possible right now.

I hope you're right though and they do look at steep discount volume pricing for enterprises.
    m0de25 likes this.
    07-03-13 08:04 AM
    Here is your chart for the day:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-rim-july-3b-2013-chart.jpg

We are grossly oversold, margin calls continue to come in and we are trading in this tight channel that is falling every day. You will know when we are reversing this huge over-sell when we break out of the upper downtrend line. Today that figure stands at $ 10.00/shr. We closed very near the lows yesterday which isn't bullish and today we need a rally above $ 10.00/shr to breakout here. The new range for today given the way we are walking down this steep slope is $ 9.25/shr - $ 10.00/shr. That is the effective trading range for today. Not good news but this is the graphic way to look at what they are systematically doing to the stock. Even if you forget about the large gap down this is still a crazy manipulation of the stock.
    07-03-13 08:08 AM
    I think my broker, Scotia i-trade, is not giving margin on Blackberry shares anymore.
    07-03-13 08:14 AM
    The only problem is that BBRY has no plans to release a low range bb10 device. They need to get these phones in the hands of ppl so they can see how great the OS is. I'm kind of scared that their desire for higher margins is eventually going to hurt them in the long run. Majority of people aren't going to pony up premium prices for an unproven OS from a negatively viewed company. They need as much traction as possible right now.

I hope you're right though and they do look at steep discount volume pricing for enterprises.
    What do you guys think of the Q5 pricing? I personally think it's way too expensive. It's selling for 320 pounds at carphone warehouse sim free. That works out to almost $500 US. That is not the right pricing strategy for what is supposed to be a mid range device. It should be in the $300 range until the bb10 os gets some adoption. Noone is going to spend that kind of money for a mid tier device on an unproven OS.
    It is too much for the spec and because the z10 is aging and poorly selling we might end up in an odd situation when it is discounted below this device.

The contract offerings don't seem to be particularly competitive either - but bbry is backed into a corner because more realistic pricing would cut margins. I think the real problem is that Bb10 is resource hungry and they are simply unable to build more competitive devices because of the need for 2gb of RAM.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    07-03-13 08:16 AM
    Here is your chart for the day:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIM July 3b  2013 Chart.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	178561

We are grossly oversold, margin calls continue to come in and we are trading in this tight channel that is falling every day. You will know when we are reversing this huge over-sell when we break out of the upper downtrend line. Today that figure stands at $ 10.00/shr. We closed very near the lows yesterday which isn't bullish and today we need a rally above $ 10.00/shr to breakout here. The new range for today given the way we are walking down this steep slope is $ 9.25/shr - $ 10.00/shr. That is the effective trading range for today. Not good news but this is the graphic way to look at what they are systematically doing to the stock. Even if you forget about the large gap down this is still a crazy manipulation of the stock.
    That's the saddest little chart I think I've ever seen. Those three lonely candles.... like three little orphans... totally unrelated to the last couple of hundred that came before them.
    07-03-13 08:16 AM
    Yeah, all BlackBerry models can probably benefit from a 20% price cut to stay competitive in market.

- Q5 should be $300 to $400
    - Q10 should be $450 to $550
    - Z10 should be $450 to $550.
    - A10 (rumored) should be $550 to $600.

All prices seem to be $100 too high currently.

That said, I wonder if reducing price by $100 will result in enough increase in sales-volume to offset $100 less revenue per device sale. I think they'd need to sell 30% more devices to makeup for $100 less per device.

If they sold 2.7M bb10 devices, maybe they would need to see 3.3M devices to offset $100 less margin per device.

BlackBerry should load these with a 'BIS' app. You should be able to configure BIS app to route all or part of your internet traffic via BIS. This would give you compression etc but in exchange you'd have to buy BIS specific data plan.

Posted via CB 10 app on my Q10!
    Robinson7D likes this.
    07-03-13 08:17 AM
    Seems to be holding well in PM after being down .20 earlier this morning.
    07-03-13 08:24 AM
    It is too much for the spec and because the z10 is aging and poorly selling we might end up in an odd situation when it is discounted below this device.

The contract offerings don't seem to be particularly competitive either - but bbry is backed into a corner because more realistic pricing would cut margins. I think the real problem is that Bb10 is resource hungry and they are simply unable to build more competitive devices because of the need for 2gb of RAM.
    I've seen that argument before, about the 2GB of RAM forcing BB to price itself out of the market. Although I'm sure it does have an effect, What is the price difference between 1 and 2 GB? $5, $10, $2. At the bulk prices they are paying, I can't see it being a big deal. Someday Samsung or Apple are gonna build some whopping huge device and it will sell like hotcakes and it will have 4 GB of RAM and the Z10 and Q10 are gonna look like kids toys beside it.
    lcjr and OMGitworks like this.
    07-03-13 08:25 AM
    The only problem is that BBRY has no plans to release a low range bb10 device.
    The Curve 9320 and will continue his life in 2013 and will likely be replaced by an equivalent terminal in BB10. However, the "low" market is complicated because we are on extremely low margin levels. Before that, the Q5 will make the transition, if an owner wants to upgrade from Curve 9320 to BB10 on a cheaper product (about 300 euros and 4G) than Z10/Q10, but yes, we will not stop there.
    Not what I read (neither ear, when I discussed with him in person).
    07-03-13 08:28 AM
    One of the interesting things I noticed was Blackberry offering a trade in for old devices to get people into the Z10. That’s not a bad strategy to help defray the costs of upgrading.

If the qwerty device is the key, why not reduce prices further for the Z10 (margins are already being squeezed) and focus on trying to make the Q10/Q5 the product that carries home the day.

It’s been beaten to death but the loss of BIS really hurt a simple, easy marketing message... buy our phones because you get essentially the same experience for a fraction of the monthly mobile bill.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-03-13 08:28 AM
    They might do but how many mid-range phones currently have 2gb of RAM?
    morganplus8 likes this.
    07-03-13 08:29 AM
    I think it would be a mistake for BBRY to sell devices with lesser specs, ie less than 2GB of RAM. They will run into the same problems as the Curves which were real cheap devices with low specs. Within a year's use, these devices will slow down and frustrate users as the phone gets software updates which the device can't handle. BBRY will then run into the same problem as before, with frustrated users with devices which aren't performing well.
    FastLane228 likes this.
    07-03-13 08:34 AM
    I've seen that argument before, about the 2GB of RAM forcing BB to price itself out of the market. Although I'm sure it does have an effect, What is the price difference between 1 and 2 GB? $5, $10, $2. At the bulk prices they are paying, I can't see it being a big deal. Someday Samsung or Apple are gonna build some whopping huge device and it will sell like hotcakes and it will have 4 GB of RAM and the Z10 and Q10 are gonna look like kids toys beside it.
    A power user concerned about hardware specs will also be looking for a robust and complete ecosystem. Thus, spec centric consumer is not the consumer BlackBerry should be focused on. Right now they can only provide a user experience play (hardware wise) for consumers.
    07-03-13 08:38 AM
    I completely agree with you about not trading in options or on margin and the jack. Just curious, what type of real estate? I work for a hotel/apartment developer

edit: good to see a few of the regulars sticking around
    Just land development. Semi retired at an early age.
    07-03-13 08:39 AM
    Turns out Scotia i-Trade lowered their margin given on Blackberry from 50% to 25%.
    07-03-13 08:43 AM
    Turns out Scotia i-Trade lowered their margin given on Blackberry from 50% to 25%.
    If that is accurate then can lead to closing of certain positions. Sadly the ones in the red are the long ones now...

Posted via CB10
    07-03-13 08:50 AM
    I spoke to customer support, and he said margin for BB was cut to 25%. Other brokers are probably doing the same thing.
    07-03-13 08:52 AM
    man oh man...we are GREEN..nice to see that colour again for a change

nvm..was good while it lasted lol
    07-03-13 08:55 AM
    That is some crazy opening volume isn't it? We are up and have already traded 9 million shares (6 mins). What a run rate this is. Funny how they lower margins after the stock has dropped 40% and is now firming up.
    07-03-13 08:58 AM
    That's the problem with getting margin from these brokers. They have lousy timing.

That is some crazy opening volume isn't it? We are up and have already traded 9 million shares (6 mins). What a run rate this is. Funny how they lower margins after the stock has dropped 40% and is now firming up.
    07-03-13 09:01 AM
    Digging through the report it becomes obvious what many have been saying. Without the US market Bbry will not gain any traction. Yoy results for NA revs were fairly static, but that is due to canadian revs going from 100 mill last year q1 to 263 mill this q a massive increase. The US revs however were down approx 200 mill from 694 mill to 498 mill. I dont have to tell you what an extra 200 mill would have done for this quarter, we would not be in the ditch like we are. I really need to see something from management about their plan to recapture the US market to a reasonable level at the AGM and I hope someone asks that question.
    07-03-13 09:03 AM
    Digging through the report it becomes obvious what many have been saying. Without the US market Bbry will not gain any traction. Yoy results for NA revs were fairly static, but that is due to canadian revs going from 100 mill last year q1 to 263 mill this q a massive increase. The US revs however were down approx 200 mill from 694 mill to 498 mill. I dont have to tell you what an extra 200 mill would have done for this quarter, we would not be in the ditch like we are. I really need to see something from management about their plan to recapture the US market to a reasonable level at the AGM and I hope someone asks that question.
    30% increase of revenue compared to last year quarter in NA though.
    07-03-13 09:06 AM
106,800 ... 14871488148914901491 ...