1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    OK - what's the next big movement on?

US launch?

*hints* of strong sales figures from Asia/Europe

or are we going to be static until we get solid full quarter figures for BB10?
    01-31-13 01:28 PM
    Thanks, morganplus8 for the bullish note!

So, morganplus8, you are saying that stock should go back to $19.50 in short order. Does that mean a week, two weeks, a month?
    Also, are you still expecting a 'short squeeze'? And if it does happen, how much do you think it'll affect the stock price? 10%, 20%?
    Remember, charting works... until it doesn't any longer. If there was a guarantee the stock was going back to $19.50 I'd sell my house, car, and cat and invest everything.
    01-31-13 01:29 PM
    Here's something I'm interested in a perspective on - part of Blackberry's appeal in emerging nations has been the data compression and the ability of consumers to buy low-cost but (to them) high value BIS plans - but there are no separate BIS plans for BB10 (AFAIK) - so is the appeal of the new OS enough to outweigh the loss of the BIS plans for consumers there?
    01-31-13 01:34 PM
    Hi guys!!

I'm still alive but I can't say much for my stock account, weren't you guys suppose to hold things for me while I was out of it? What happened? Is this how you treat follow RIM investors? Just kidding. Unfortunately for me, I haven't read anything yet so I'll have to spend some time this weekend catching up on all of the thread here. I'm sure no one on this thread is too happy right now. I will post a simple chart just to show you where we are at right now, without the benefit of knowing what you have to offer, so here goes...:
    Welcome back Morganplus8! Hope your recovery is speady!

Always great to read through your analysis... of course, at the end of the day we are all making our own decisions, but it's always nice to have our investments in Blackberry supported by these projections.
    morganplus8 and zyben like this.
    01-31-13 01:37 PM
    Here's something I'm interested in a perspective on - part of Blackberry's appeal in emerging nations has been the data compression and the ability of consumers to buy low-cost but (to them) high value BIS plans - but there are no separate BIS plans for BB10 (AFAIK) - so is the appeal of the new OS enough to outweigh the loss of the BIS plans for consumers there?
    AFAIK, no one has said there aren't going to be any more BIS plans. There's just no 'requirement' for a BIS plan.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-31-13 01:49 PM
    I asked this in the other thread, so I'll ask it here - find a picture of a queue outside a store where there is no celeb - then we are talking. If we are using queuing as evidence of some ground-swell that will lead to high volumes, then we should find queues at multiple stores not a single store with an added attraction.
    the celeb is there tomorrow. NOT today.
    as said by the person who took the photo.
    Hi guys!!

I'm not even sure about this as I was unconscious for a couple of days now. LOL
    For a second, I thought that was due to partying hard in celebration of BB10 launch...
    Glad to see you back and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    my Rogers contact just texted me, that, they have nearly sold out of their stock of Z10s already. only 15 left.
    01-31-13 02:41 PM
    the celeb is there tomorrow. NOT today.
    as said by the person who took the photo.
    Hmm, the world would seem to disagree with you:

ATV Today UK Pixie Lott steps out for phone launch
    drummer_god likes this.
    01-31-13 02:46 PM
    AFAIK, no one has said there aren't going to be any more BIS plans. There's just no 'requirement' for a BIS plan.
    Hum.. my understanding was that there would simply be *no* BIS plans because BB10 isn't designed to work with it - anyone know for certain either way?
    01-31-13 02:48 PM
    Just got an email from Rogers that my Z10 has shipped. Lol, I guess I forgot to cancel my reservation.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    01-31-13 02:51 PM
    Hum.. my understanding was that there would simply be *no* BIS plans because BB10 isn't designed to work with it - anyone know for certain either way?
    I don't think there has been any clarification on what is happening with BIS.
    01-31-13 02:53 PM
    Got the SMS from Rogers as well!
    01-31-13 02:53 PM
    I don't think there has been any clarification on what is happening with BIS.
    Isn't that bizarre? I don't get it. Is there BIS or not? They must have thousands of computers running BIS somewhere, are they just going to light them on fire? What's going on?
    01-31-13 03:08 PM
    Just got an email from Rogers that my Z10 has shipped. Lol, I guess I forgot to cancel my reservation.
    Why cancel?
    01-31-13 03:12 PM
    Thanks, morganplus8 for the bullish note!

So, morganplus8, you are saying that stock should go back to $19.50 in short order. Does that mean a week, two weeks, a month?
    Also, are you still expecting a 'short squeeze'? And if it does happen, how much do you think it'll affect the stock price? 10%, 20%?
    Hey, the typical cycle for RIM to trade peak to trough is 5 weeks. We are at the very beginning of that cycle now. Note that the RSI is back down to 44 and that is were we begin uptrends not downtrends. I mentioned, as have others here, that anything above 70 RSI is not great news as we are typically over-bought in the short term. RIM needs to hold onto the uptrend line, which it is doing right at this moment, it might give a quick false reading like this mornings sell-off but it must regain that uptrend line and not breach it at the close. So far, we are doing exactly the same thing it did at $ 11.50/shr last time, we sat there all day thinking it wouldn't hold and then it began the rally. I think a haircut like this one, coupled with a cool product and some favourable press will start the rally again. When Apple launches something we get carrier support numbers after the first weekend, this play might be the same for next weekend with numbers showing that we are inline for 1 million units sold in February. If we hit our numbers, the clock is ticking away and more info about the success of the phone will come out and that is what feeds the next rally. I don't really see anything different this time around, 5 - 6 weeks from now, we are at the top of this channel.

You asked about short covering, they have no reason to cover now, the biggest news is out and they have no problem stopping this rally. I expect the short numbers are much higher this time around. They will cover at higher levels but right now, at $ 12.88/shr, they are fine. If the phone gets traction, you will see some crazy days ahead. I do agree that short covering will take the stock to the mid-$ 30.00s when it comes. So far I like the trade, it needs to hold the support line and you never know how hard they will work to destroy the bull run here.

At the moment, they are in control with the close of Put options for this cycle ending on Saturday, the pressure to go down will be over next week and we can start to go higher from here as they cover their new short positions. The gap above is easy to fill, a few minutes of trading next week will do it. Remember, RSI is 44, 30 is over sold and we aren't far above that level so today's low is just about all you are risking here. We can easily be at $ 16.00 in two weeks time. For the record, they would be looking at the Calls as their next play and that spells rally from here. Good luck!!

PS. No, I wasn't drinking or celebrating but I will be doing so as soon as they give me the go ahead!! LOL
    01-31-13 03:13 PM
    Hey BT, could you grace us with your non-objective thoughts on the phone?

Battery life, screen, usability, etc and such from a normal berry user. I'd trust your review rather than the other stuff out there.
    01-31-13 03:14 PM
    Isn't that bizarre? I don't get it. Is there BIS or not? They must have thousands of computers running BIS somewhere, are they just going to light them on fire? What's going on?
    Well they still have 79 million non BB10 devices to support.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-31-13 03:31 PM
    Topped up some more today at 13.18. Which is about where my averaging was from purchasing on the way down.

Pleased to see we are at the very bottom(slightly below) Morgan's trading channel and looking oversold. Also pleased to see we are well under a fair book value.

We know that the user paradigm is different and so it will take time and likely word-of-mouth before this takes off. Due to this, sales are likely on a slower growth slope that a copycat UI. Blackberry knows this as well as Boulben stated that this is the marketing method at launch is key influencers. This is also the KPI that Thor indicated they would be tracking predominately for the first 4-5 weeks.

I have contributed much to this thread but I am checking it regularly to see everyone's thoughts as this ride unfolds!
    01-31-13 03:35 PM
    I just posted his in another thread but I'll share it here to....see what you guy's think:
    Seems to me that most of the US based non financial reviews of the device are way past favorable...almost cheering the devices triumphant return. Most that I have seen/read overwhelmingly love many of the new features and to me it seems they are excited for their opportunity to try it out...many remembering fondly their past BB phones and experiences.
    At the end of the day I think this is a much better barometer of where the US sales are going and let’s face it...I think USA Today and The Today Show have an audience that dwarfs MSNBC and Bloomberg...just my two cents.
    morganplus8 and Acumenight like this.
    01-31-13 03:59 PM
    Extremely peeved - I had a trailing stop order in last night, then saw the stock plummeting this morning. Literally at opening bell I was trying to cancel (I figured this was sell-off triggered by pre-market movement that would quickly bounce back) but wasn't able to cancel before the order went through. Sold at nearly the lowest point, and had to buy back in with fewer shares.
    01-31-13 04:01 PM
    In my defence, I believe I mentioned that we had nothing to support us but perhaps the 10-dma on that day, forgive if I'm wrong here. Doesn't matter, because we now know, there wasn't any support there as we are at the bottom of the rising trendline and looking to hold about $ 12.90/shr.

For now, I'm extremely bullish on the stock unless it fails to hold todays uptrend line. I can't imagine why it wouldn't hold as we do this all the time as scary as it looks, it is normal trading. Best of luck, I'll try to get caught up here and edit my message once I have all of the facts. Oh yeah, I can't wait to buy the phone, is it good??? Cheers
    Hope that you're recovering well. Nice call about the $12.90 trendline. It seemed to do a lot of bouncing off of around that mark towards the latter part of the session.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    01-31-13 04:14 PM
    There is no BIS:

BlackBerry (BBRY) announced at yesterday’s launch that the new smartphones based on the BB10 platform will not support the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS).

It became apparent as Rory O'Neill, Vice President of Product & Channel Marketing at BlackBerry, was answering questions related to the BIS service on the BB10 phones and on BB 7 based smartphones.

O’Neill explained that the BB10 smartphones will not come bundled with BIS nor support it. The only service to run on BlackBerry’s infrastructure will be BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) and some enterprise related applications.

O’Neill said: “The R59 per month unlimited data for BlackBerry 7 is a proposition that we really believe in. We work very closely with our mobile network partners to keep that proposition in market.
    Goodbye BlackBerry Internet Service, African market could look elsewhere | News | HumanIPO
    01-31-13 04:24 PM
    Here's some thoughts in point form.

* Phone feels very nice in my hand. Typing one handed feels natural
    * Battery life pretty good so far, been off charger since 9am, at 65% right now, been playing with it all day
    * Gestures take some time getting used to. There's some inconsistencies with it depending where you are or what orientation the screen is
    * Very few good apps right now. A lot of the apps SUCK. I mean really, really bad PB ports. Uninstalled tons of apps. I have about 7 apps that I'm currently missing (from Android, all major)
    * Camera is so,so. Took some test pics. It's not terrible but not great either. I wouldn't flaunt it.
    * The keyboard is PHENOMENAL! I really think I'll have a hard time choosing between the Q10 and Z10 when the time comes. I could write about the keyboard for hours. It is really that good.
    * Seems that BBM voice calls are no longer limited to Wifi only as with the 9900
    * The voice control doesn't work well for me. This is not necessarily a bad thing, I'm not an native English speaker so most speech recognition can't get over my accent.
    * Maps/Nav is ok. It's not as pretty as Google Maps but it gets the job done. Could be a little louder tho. One cool feature I found, after sitting stationary for 5 mins, it warns you that it'll disable GPS to save battery.
    * The phone did heat up a bit on me when using Nav.
    * The screen is really very nice. Though I don't know if RIM forgot to add auto-dimming feature or it's just missing
    * Can't figure out how to mark-all-as-read in Hub
    * I wish they did the charging pins on the Z10 as they did with the 9900. I'm gonna miss that.
    * The sleeve that came with the phone is crappy. I'm a holster guy. Can't see carrying this thing in my pocket.

That's all I got so far.

Hey BT, could you grace us with your non-objective thoughts on the phone?

Battery life, screen, usability, etc and such from a normal berry user. I'd trust your review rather than the other stuff out there.
    01-31-13 04:36 PM
    I have a Z10. I put in a SIM card that was in a Windows Phone 8. Everything, including BBM, works fine. No issues. No BIS. No compression.
    CGK is correct - There is no BIS for BB10 devices.
    01-31-13 04:37 PM
107,300 ... 141142143144145 ...