View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Personally I love the idea of swing trading. I think it plays an important role in what you can do. Example if we hit $18 and you start to see signs of us dropping off then selling and waiting for the bottom to come and getting back in.

Swing Trading for Dummies is great
    06-10-13 03:24 PM
    Learn to read financial statements and you'll know more than most. Read annual reports also.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 03:27 PM
    Is that 3 days in a row of gains? I think the sp will continue to rise until June 28. Then the inevitable selloff .... or maybe newer highs on good new, short squeeze, who knows.
    06-10-13 03:28 PM
    Good!.... Let Lenovo build 'em!
    That would be nice.

But it could also be that they see too much competition in that segment without a clear advantage.
    06-10-13 03:28 PM
    You should start with the bible of investing called: The Intelligent Investor.

Others that I liked (but had some redundancy) were:

The 5 Rules for Successful Stock Investing
    One Up On Wall Street: How To Use What You Already Know To Make Money In The Market
    spike12, Bilaal, Bugmapper and 1 others like this.
    06-10-13 03:30 PM

One Up On Wall Street: How To Use What You Already Know To Make Money In The Market
    Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 03:33 PM
    I was actually thinking of learning up on stocks by reading books. Care to recommend me any? I'm a noob, but reading ya'll comments has taught me enough to make an investment in BBRY and an oil company.
    Learn the Richard Wyckoff Method of Trading from David H. Weis
    why don't you sign up for his daily newsletter, might help you
    Bilaal and cjcampbell like this.
    06-10-13 03:49 PM
    Learn to read financial statements and you'll know more than most. Read annual reports also.

Posted via CB10
    It's nice to be in the presence of other value investors! You had me at Ben Graham.

Powered by QNX
    dusdal and Bugmapper like this.
    06-10-13 03:59 PM

Intelligent investor is to advanced. There are easier reads to start with.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 04:00 PM
    It's nice to be in the presence of other value investors! You had me at Ben Graham.

Powered by QNX
    Ditto. Who else here is a value investors?

We should start a thread to just ask. Keep this thread going though.

Is that you and Prem on the avatar? If so, story...

Can't tell who it is really. On cb10 app right now.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 04:03 PM
    Intelligent investor is to advanced. There are easier reads to start with.

Posted via CB10
    Stan Weinsteins Secrets for Profiting In Bull and Bear Markets...oldie but goodie. easy to understand.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 04:05 PM
    Stan Weinsteins Secrets for Profiting In Bull and Bear Markets...oldie but goodie. easy to understand.

Posted via CB10
    Man, I'm out of the value investing mindset lately. I used to know a lot of good books off the top of my head.

Read all the Berkshire annual reports. Then read the Fairfax ones.

Value investing, once you understand balance sheets, is 95% qualitative. The quantitative piece takes little time.

Valueing a business is somewhat hard to do at the beginning. Once you learn to do it though, you can look at an annual report for 5 minutes and know what it is worth...less special situations like bbry.

With bbry it is a question of turning fcf positive. And to the tune of $2+ billion a year with expectations for growth going forward. Screw earnings, show me $500 mil in fcf this quarter. Then I celebrate! And the stock shoots the moon.

People don't realize it in general but earnings is a useless metric that I haven't bothered with in years. It's popular, but that doesn't make it useful. Kinda like debt/equity ratios. Another pointless metric. Debt/fcf though, there's a good metric..

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    06-10-13 04:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    Value investor here. Still get suckered into swing trading by the lure of quick money but I'm slowly learning that A) it takes more time and capital than I have to do it successfully, and, B) I suk at it.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    cjcampbell and plasmid_boy like this.
    06-10-13 04:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes.... I met him at the ASM. Very kind and went out of his way to meet with shareholders. I also attend the pre ASM dinner charity where he brings a few of the subsidiary CEO's with him for Q&A. They typically answer questions all night! I swear half of Canada's sources of GDP were in that room!

Powered by QNX
    Last edited by fairfaxnut; 06-10-13 at 04:47 PM.
    06-10-13 04:24 PM
    Most of us believe that BlackBerry is creating its own market.

I for one, am excited about the Automotive, Healthcare/and M2M market. If BB owns this and is interacting with all OSes while earning a fee, let them have their iPhones and Androids.

I wonder if the 5s will come preloaded with BBM?

I wonder if, now that iMessage has audio over wifi "only", people will truly see how far ahead BBM really is.

Anyway, even though the roadmap has not been clearly defined to the point that we can see everything that is in the making, I do believe that BlackBerry is in the process of something great and is waiting for an oppurtune time to let us know. Maybe now that all the big events MWC/IO/WWDC for the competition are over we may get some clearer information?

I do agree with not ignoring the competition. However, I don't believe that the end goal of BlackBerry is Smartphones, Laptops and MP3 players.
    Oh completely reasonable, but the issue with anything BB related is what is factored into the share price right now. What expectations do investors have of the company and what will drive share price either direction. I mean a lot of the share price traction down has been a result of lack of consumer sales over the past few years among other things. That is what concerns me with this company is consumer sales or interest seems to be a driving factor in affecting the stock in either direction. If every analyst and BB itself sold itself as the all to enterprise device and the share price were trading off of that we'd be having a different conversation. The difference is that it is trading with expectations of consumer growth on top of enterprise growth.

The ball is in BB turf now so what they do with it is to be found in the upcoming months. I also know the end game plan isn't to be just the smartphone and to have various sources of revenue which only make sense. But as with anything it is a tough market right now, you gotta build up a brand name that isn't frowned upon and have a negative cloud around it before you can introduce new things to market and expect a good take off. BB10 was a step in the right direction but they need a lot more to compete.

I also think BBM is a good thing going forward cross platform as it can be something to give BB the good name back as a great thing. One successful app will be great positive buzz for them.
    06-10-13 05:21 PM
    Man, I'm out of the value investing mindset lately. I used to know a lot of good books off the top of my head.

Read all the Berkshire annual reports. Then read the Fairfax ones.

Value investing, once you understand balance sheets, is 95% qualitative. The quantitative piece takes little time.

Valueing a business is somewhat hard to do at the beginning. Once you learn to do it though, you can look at an annual report for 5 minutes and know what it is worth...less special situations like bbry.

With bbry it is a question of turning fcf positive. And to the tune of $2+ billion a year with expectations for growth going forward. Screw earnings, show me $500 mil in fcf this quarter. Then I celebrate! And the stock shoots the moon.

People don't realize it in general but earnings is a useless metric that I haven't bothered with in years. It's popular, but that doesn't make it useful. Kinda like debt/equity ratios. Another pointless metric. Debt/fcf though, there's a good metric..

Posted via CB10
    Ratios are all relative to industry however. Gotta know which ones are meaningful under which industries.
    The Selected Fruit likes this.
    06-10-13 05:27 PM
    We clearly broke out of the downtrend line in the last few days. We're hitting the downward trendline and there seems to be slight resistance, but it looks like we can continue up. The real resistance will come at the 50dma, but we probably won't hit that until next week if there is no news.
    The uptrend line is very weak right now, so any news can make or break this trend.

I totally regret not selling when it was at $15. I was pretty sure it was going to trend down but I held since I'm long. I'm pretty sure it will continue to go up, but I think I'm going to stop pumping money into this in case things go bad. With iOS 7 out, the gap between BB10 and iOS has been bridged and BlackBerry has lost some of it's cool gestures and multitasking advantage.
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry.jpg  
    06-10-13 06:09 PM
    We clearly broke out of the downtrend line in the last few days. We're hitting the downward trendline and there seems to be slight resistance, but it looks like we can continue up. The real resistance will come at the 50dma, but we probably won't hit that until next week if there is no news.
    The uptrend line is very weak right now, so any news can make or break this trend.

I totally regret not selling when it was at $15. I was pretty sure it was going to trend down but I held since I'm long. I'm pretty sure it will continue to go up, but I think I'm going to stop pumping money into this in case things go bad. With iOS 7 out, the gap between BB10 and iOS has been bridged and BlackBerry has lost some of it's cool gestures and multitasking advantage.
    Nahhh, we could test $14.63 tomorrow or the next day.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    bungaboy and Scott Lefebvre like this.
    06-10-13 06:26 PM
    How are people playing the er this time? I think I might sell half before, this time around. Too many times have there been sell offs during "events" the last 6 months. I'll still have skin in the game but will go based on past.

Personally i think they will beat it, but just by enough to look good ie. 3.5m. I could see them wanting to move some sales to q2 to really try to punch it that quarter. I think media and shorts are going to hound on the only thing they have.... subs.

Misek predicted cross platform bbm 6 months ago and recently predicted DoD contract. Hopefully he is in the loop and we find out about contract before er. Getting it could pop the stock a couple bucks?

OT: up 30% in solar CSIQ in 2 weeks. Unfortunately only have 1/10 of what I have in bbry.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using CB Forums mobile app
    06-10-13 06:29 PM
    Three or 4 days in the green and the "Debbie Downers" still get their knickers in a knot. LoL

"What a Country"

06-10-13 06:32 PM
    06-10-13 06:41 PM
    Got my voting forms. I got two of them, assuming because two of my 4 trading accounts are cash, the other ones are margin and the shares are most likely loaned out.

I'll most likely be going to the meeting in Waterloo on July 9th.
    plasmid_boy likes this.
    06-10-13 06:55 PM
    so if the shares are loaned out then we dont get to vote? the person its been loaned too gets my vote? da F
    06-10-13 06:57 PM
    I'm with Questrade, am I supposed to get them in the mail?
    06-10-13 07:00 PM
    Impressive headline!!!!

The iPhone’s new core: slick software that imitates Android, RIM

OMAR EL AKKAD - TECHNOLOGY REPORTER

The Globe and Mail

Published Monday, Jun. 10 2013, 2:33 PM EDT
    Last updated Monday, Jun. 10 2013, 7:37 PM EDT
    06-10-13 07:12 PM
113,256 ... 12391240124112421243 ...