Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    http://www.zdnet.com/blackberry-quie...ud-7000015507/

BlackBerry quietly launches BES 10.1 in the cloud

Summary: BlackBerry Enterprise Service got a big upgrade to version 10.1 this week and BlackBerry has also quietly launched BES as a cloud service.

ZDNet has recently learned that BlackBerry has quietly launched BES 10.1 as a service, as part of the launch of the latest update to the BlackBerry Enterprise Service. The company hasn't broadcast a press release about this new development but has begun to talk openly about it.

"We are making BES 10.1 available as a cloud service and have several companies in trial," saidPete Devenyi, BlackBerry's SVP of Enterprise Software.

As wereported earlier, BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.1 is expected to give the company a boost as its rises to meet the demand for solutions to manage iOS and Android devices in a BYOD environment.

With service providers working hard to convince businesses to stop deploying their own servers and data centers and simply purchase server capacity and enterprise apps on demand, it puts pressure on other application and server providers to do the same in order to better integrate with these cloud solutions and to match up the business model for customers.

As messaging platforms like Microsoft Exchange push toward the cloud, it makes sense for BlackBerry, which helps securely deliver Exchange and other enterprise services to mobile devices, to do likewise.

"This is a major initiative for us," said Devenyi. "We're very pleased with the progress we've made there and the interest from our customers."

Devenyi said that BES 10.1 also delivers virtualization improvements for those who still want to run BES on their own servers and VMs. That includes the ability to run BES 10.1 and BES 5 (to support older BES implementations and legacy BlackBerry devices) on the same server and makes it simpler for smaller organizations to quickly deploy BES 10.1 in a VM

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 07:17 AM
    What I don't understand is, why is Blackberry "quietly" launching BES 10.1 with no press behind it?
    06-10-13 07:33 AM
    What I don't understand is, why is Blackberry "quietly" launching BES 10.1 with no press behind it?
    Best guess is that it's an Enterprise level service and not for the general consumer. There's lots of enterprise service that BlackBerry doesn't advertise commercially.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 07:39 AM
    Because it is expected that they would and it's not news worthy. If they delayed it or something went wrong, media would be all over it.
    06-10-13 07:39 AM
    Volume is adding and holding well in PM. Hopefully it's a good sign of things to come.
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-10-13 07:40 AM
    Unless blackberry gives them access to their servers, services like bbm are still encrypted.
    BlackBerryOS.com - The NSA And Prism, Where Does BlackBerry Stand?
    Respectfully with regard to this issue I say "so what." BB can not refuse a warrant or subpeona and must grant access, so it has no advantage over any other phone is this scenario. Against general hacking, sure, but as to this issue there is no difference as far as I can tell. I may be wrong but I don't see this as a positive for anybody.....
    06-10-13 07:45 AM
    Another frustrated S4 customer goes through the spin cycle.

Feel sorry for this guy. Was posted on RFD.

hopefully bell will step up and offer me some kind of deal or compensation even though i'm a new customer.. i purchased a gs4 from bestbuy mobile.. bell's doa policy is 30 days.. bestbuy said theirs is only 14 days don't care about bell policy so they sent me to bell.. bell sent me to bell corporate store.. corporate store sent me back to bestbuy.. bestbuy sent me to bell customer support.. bell customer support sent me to samsung... all i want is to exchange my overheating gs4 for a new gs4... and this process pushed me to 30days.. now i'm on the 31day -.- filed a complaint to BBB hopefully bell steps it up... BELL not honoring their own DOA policy.. bestbuy doesn't represent bell when they sell bell products??
    06-10-13 07:55 AM
    Respectfully with regard to this issue I say "so what." BB can not refuse a warrant or subpeona and must grant access, so it has no advantage over any other phone is this scenario. Against general hacking, sure, but as to this issue there is no difference as far as I can tell. I may be wrong but I don't see this as a positive for anybody.....
    I don't want this to turn into a political debate as to what should be seen as reasonable and not, but in this case there is a difference between gaining access with a warrant and having access without one, and, at will.
    W Hoa likes this.
    06-10-13 07:57 AM
    I think that we are mixing two different things together here. The leaked court ordered case was with Verizon. Which is different from the Prism program with MS, Apple, etc, those were voluntary deals, not court ordered. Moreover, because BlackBerry is a Canadian company, it is more insulated from US government demands. Having said that, I don't feel threatened using exchange, icloud, etc.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 08:13 AM
    And it just keeps going . . . . and going . . . . and going . . . .

Premium SMS Services in This Week's Dangerous Android Apps

PCMag.com

Saturday, June 08, 2013 9:31 PM GMT

Bad Android apps frequently sign unsuspecting users up for premium rate SMS services. When you receive your cell phone bill, you see unexplained charges from unknown services. Cancelling these premium-rate services is frequently a drawn-out process.

SecurityWatch is partnering with a handful of security companies who monitor apps on Google Play and third-party marketplaces to spotlight some of the risky apps. This week, the focus is on apps that sign users up for SMS services, as identified by Appthority.

[1] Farma
    Farma is a farming game where you are collecting vegetables. While Appthority found this particular app on a third-party site, it appears to have been available on Google Play at one time ("unsure when"), Kevin Watkins, CTO of Appthority, told SecurityWatch. We don't have specific information on when the app may have been on Google Play, but if you remember installing this game at some point, we recommend you remove it immediately.

Users who want to buy things for their virtual farm are charged using premium SMS numbers. While the Terms of Service actually mentions that the user will be signed up to a premium-rate SMS service, Watkins said the information was buried all the way at the bottom.

[2] Fake Browser
    Fake Browser is a little different from other apps because it is actually a mobile Website and not a native Android app. The app looks and feels like a native iOS app, and once installed, signs the user up for a premium-rate SMS service.

Since it is a mobile site, there is no need to worry about app stores. Users may encounter this site by clicking on a link–from a spam message or even in a mobile ad displayed in some other app. The user may be prompted to "install a new browser" which "Fixed critical errors" and "loads pages 3 times faster," Walsh said.

"This is a unique take on a 'fake installer', masquerading as an app inside the mobile browser," Watkins said.

Once clicked, it runs inside the mobile browser, asking the user to enter a phone number. The user is then signed up to a premium-rate SMS srvice.

New Type of Malware

Earlier this week, Kaspersky Lab researchers identified a new malware sample which sent SMS messages. Dubbed Obad, this particular malware could send SMS to premium-rate numbers, download and install additional malicious apps, and let remote attackers execute code via the console.

Obad appears to exploit a vulnerability in the Android operating system. Google has already been notified about the issue, according to Kaspersky Lab.

Researchers identified three different apps with Obad, but has seen no evidence of Obad apps in Google Play, Denis Maslennikov, a senior malware analyst at Kaspersky Lab, told SecurityWatch.
    06-10-13 08:17 AM
    There's those 2 words again "I believe"
    I've never seen BlackBerry confirm the above. Can you provide a link? Seriously if you have one I'd be very interested and concerned to read it.

Posted via CB10
    That was about a year ago. The case was ongoing for a few years. BlackBerry refused to comply, until the Indian authority was about to kick BlackBerry out the country. Sorry I don't have the links for those articles, but I think that the Globe and Mail had one. Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 08:18 AM
    06-10-13 08:18 AM
    Yep! And remember... how often do you see a high profile, chief big wig sporting a competitor's product? Must say something...

Google's Eric Schmidt: Why I love my BlackBerry | Technically Incorrect - CNET News
    Th changes phones every two weeks

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 08:21 AM
    06-10-13 08:22 AM
    Well lady and gentlemen, it's a new week and market is about to open. We don't know how this will play out for the next 3 weeks as without a doubt, there will be work done on both sides to influence this beast. Let's all try to stay calm and not have a day like Friday that was probably the most depressing day on this thread.

Good luck to all and enjoy the lessons that many of us are learning.
    06-10-13 08:27 AM
    Well good morning everyone. Tis a soggy wet June Monday here.
    Here's a little pep talk for our share price blues.
    On Sept. 24, 2012 the SP was down to $6.30 ish.
    9 months later (coincidentally the time it takes to have a baby lol)
    it has doubled with consistency. Albeit some ups and downs along the way.
    I said all that to say....let this SP-baby-BAKE until it's ready to pop.
    So for me, I remind myself, I got in early-mid March @ not the best of SP, avg'd down and sit around $15.60.
    Now I really should wait until the very least November before making any assumptions.
    Self-pep-talk-over-and-out. Keep the faith guys!!!
    06-10-13 08:29 AM
    Legal and binding access only after a court order. Big difference!
    It's unreal that those global brands are as good as wide open spy agencies for their home country.
    Thats one stupid business decision!
    And
    I think that we are mixing two different things together here. The leaked court ordered case was with Verizon. Which is different from the Prism program with MS, Apple, etc, those were voluntary deals, not court ordered. Moreover, because BlackBerry is a Canadian company, it is more insulated from US government demands. Having said that, I don't feel threatened using exchange, icloud, etc.
    If I remember correctly Vierizon case what about "who called who, where and at what time" not "what did they say/wrote". For the rest, under our current legislation here (FR), what PRISM does if forbidden by law and very punishable by law.

There's those 2 words again "I believe"
    I've never seen BlackBerry confirm the above. Can you provide a link? Seriously if you have one I'd be very interested and concerned to read it.
    Posted via CB10
    About giving the key : "The [Indian] government needed RIM's help to decrypt BBM messages coming from BIS accounts" (see link for Chris article). Ba&sically, RIM did the Job, they didn't gave the key.

Can't they ? On a global scale ? Like in "listen all to pick one" ? Uhhhhhh ...

Not here. And I hope it'll never be, unless we're officially in war. In any case, I want to be informed I'm tracked, recorded, filed. That's IMHO the worst of all this story.
    06-10-13 08:31 AM
    Well lady and gentlemen, it's a new week and market is about to open. We don't know how this will play out for the next 3 weeks as without a doubt, there will be work done on both sides to influence this beast. Let's all try to stay calm and not have a day like Friday that was probably the most depressing day on this thread.

Good luck to all and enjoy the lessons that many of us are learning.
    Yeah, I didn't understand the mood on Friday. I placed an order in the morning and gained 10 cents by the end of the day, then I saw a lot of negative stuff on here and was a little confused.
    06-10-13 08:58 AM
    A real tug-o-war match this morning. Hopefully one of the shorters slips and falls.
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-10-13 09:02 AM
    OK, you want my bet for price: $300-like.
    350 GBP
    Blackberry Q5 goes up for preorder ahead of 15 July release date- The Inquirer
    06-10-13 09:03 AM
    Well so far we have support at the 5-dma which is 13.71. It's still early and lots can happen yet but that seemed to be the low limit that started a buy after it tested twice there.
    The Selected Fruit and CDM76 like this.
    06-10-13 09:06 AM
    This is entertaining. Someone pass the popcorn

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-10-13 09:09 AM
    Yes, strong confluence down there at 13.71 with the 38% fib and support line of the pennant.

Let's hope it holds!

Well so far we have support at the 5-dma which is 13.71. It's still early and lots can happen yet but that seemed to be the low limit that started a buy after it tested twice there.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    06-10-13 09:17 AM
    bbry forum is dead today huh
    06-10-13 09:33 AM
    Would the countdown clock help?

Countdown to Jun 28, 2013 8:00 AM in Toronto

bbry forum is dead today huh
    BlackistheBerry and bungaboy like this.
    06-10-13 09:37 AM
113,250 ... 12321233123412351236 ...