View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    We're not gamblers ... do not fight against them; they have the knowledge and they have the money.
    Stay calm; if what we believe true happens we'll get our money++. No doubt.
    It's not about gesticulation; its a 2-4 years recovery.
    Be bold.
    01-28-13 01:34 PM
    Just found out the short position is still 26% of market...even with all this selling only 2% lower than a week ago...lets see how much further they can push this down before the upswing starts.
    01-28-13 01:35 PM
    Just found out the short position is still 26% of market...even with all this selling only 2% lower than a week ago...lets see how much further they can push this down before the upswing starts.
    it'll probably drop below 16 before closing
    01-28-13 01:41 PM
    On another front .....

Wed morning, before the launch RIM will have a link for us to watch the BB10 launch live, woot woot, they are currently doing testing making sure it works A1 for us!!

Keep an eye here for it >>>> Research In Motion - Newsroom

Edit: Wed morning before launch is the latest we get the link from RIM, it may be before. Sooner the better so the link can be sent/seen by millions.
    Last edited by TomJasper; 01-28-13 at 02:00 PM.
    mw12341, robkd, cezley and 2 others like this.
    01-28-13 01:45 PM
    The drop today is partially due to the fact that RIM rallied last week on Lenovo's news of possible licensing and buyout. Lenovo said today that the comment was a general comment and not speciific to RIM, so we're retracing some of our steps here to pre-lenovo buyout speculation. Along the way we hit a couple of stop losses, and hence the lower price.

Of course timing and other things related to the launch could be at play, but if you're long, nothing today should alarm you. As I have said before, the stock is trading on pure speculation right now. No financials can even start to predict what RIM, or even the mobile market will be like in 6, 12, or 24months.
    01-28-13 01:45 PM
    The drop today is partially due to the fact that RIM rallied last week on Lenovo's news of possible licensing and buyout. Lenovo said today that the comment was a general comment and not speciific to RIM, so we're retracing some of our steps here to pre-lenovo buyout speculation. Along the way we hit a couple of stop losses, and hence the lower price.
    agree with above. I was expecting a pullback like this on Thursday or Friday, but IMO the Lenovo news sort of delayed it. I just added a bit more to my long term holdings on this dip.
    01-28-13 01:56 PM
    Has the rally so far only based on speculation? RIM did beat street's expectation (of revenue, eps) in every earning call. That's not speculation.
    Plus, RIM was trading far below it's book value. So, I am not sure if all the gains we have seen so far are purely based on speculation? Maybe the stock was "correcting" upwards as it was under-valued.

As for today - don't know what happened. Price is staying firm at above $16 so I am guessing most 'stop-losses' have already triggered and filled. Tomorrow we might see some big player manufacture the same situation again (that is, sell a large amount tomorrow morning, trigger a bunch of stop-losses, drive the price downwards). But come Wednesday, we are going to see not just product launch, but some surprises and a marketing blitz (in multiple countries). So, that should more than wipe out losses of past few days.
    01-28-13 02:01 PM
    Just got in at 16.10. Only a modest number of shares (broke college student here) but I'm reasonably happy about this. Wasn't sure I'd get another shot at sub $16.50 prices.
    01-28-13 02:04 PM
    Has the rally so far only based on speculation? RIM did beat street's expectation (of revenue, eps) in every earning call. That's not speculation.
    Plus, RIM was trading far below it's book value. So, I am not sure if all the gains we have seen so far are purely based on speculation? Maybe the stock was "correcting" upwards as it was under-valued.

As for today - don't know what happened. Price is staying firm at above $16 so I am guessing most 'stop-losses' have already triggered and filled. Tomorrow we might see some big player manufacture the same situation again (that is, sell a large amount tomorrow morning, trigger a bunch of stop-losses, drive the price downwards). But come Wednesday, we are going to see not just product launch, but some surprises and a marketing blitz (in multiple countries). So, that should more than wipe out losses of past few days.
    lets hope it doesnt drop tomorrow i don't like seing my investment in the red, but it could allow me to max out my TFSA and maybe buy a bit more taxable shares
    01-28-13 02:10 PM

yes, except that all of that is supposed to be discounted in the share price already, it is so hard to predict the share price based on common sense...
    01-28-13 02:17 PM
    Stock prices reflect the expected future value of a stock, not the current value of the stock. Investors care about what a company is going to sell, not what it has already sold.
    01-28-13 02:17 PM
    On another note,

Justin B's mother Patti just tweeted RIM.

Anybody catch that? Ya paying attention,lol

Research In Motion - Newsroom

https://mobile.twitter.com/pattiemallette

Edit: Makes one wonder if the B will be part of Blackberry 10 marketing, 35 million twitter followers, that's 1/3 as many as will watch Super Bowl, everyday. We shall see.
    Geeoff likes this.
    01-28-13 02:44 PM

You can't ignore that prior to the last earnings call, RIMM had several disaster quarters where they missed, sometimes badly and then had terrible conference calls. I think they even had a quarter where they pre-announced and then still missed. They did a terrible job managing expectations and paid for it. No need to panic here, this is what you might expect after such a meteoric rise and just ahead of Jan 30th. However, I don't think you can blame it all on the shorts, plenty of people who could sell and lock in 100% profits, and it seems like there maybe some who rotated out of Apple and others and into RIMM may be rotating back out with their very large profits in hand. Facebook, Nokia and other saw similar rotation benefits. We will have to see, but let's not forget (try as we might) that RIMM's reputation on the street isn't just 1 quarter long. Folks who got burned badly on the way down have long memories. I also wouldn't count on a huge jump come Wed. Possible yes, but I'd guess 50/50 odds it could go down on the actual launch. Hope not but possible.
    01-28-13 02:46 PM
    and so, Monday ends with a THUD!
    glad that killing spree is over....for now.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    01-28-13 03:04 PM
    and so, Monday ends with a THUD!
    glad that killing spree is over....for now.
    I stopped looking at the ticker while ago, don't want to know/see right now.

Best to go to the partystore and get some fixins for Wed
    01-28-13 03:12 PM
    on the bright side; RIM's future looks to be leading the way with M2M prospects and this article reflects that the future in M2M is huge:

Rogers targets growth in machine wireless market - The Globe and Mail
    01-28-13 03:15 PM
    Hi all,

i have been following this thread recently and looking forward to getting into the action by buying RIM shares. I am a student and this will be my first investment as i just set up my itrade account with scotia. I noticed the price has finally dropped today after steadily rising over the last week or so. Is it the right time to get in now at around $16.25? or is it better to wait till just before launch (tues close) to get in? would appreciate your expert opinions!
    01-28-13 03:26 PM
    Hi all,

i have been following this thread recently and looking forward to getting into the action by buying RIM shares. I am a student and this will be my first investment as i just set up my itrade account with scotia. I noticed the price has finally dropped today after steadily rising over the last week or so. Is it the right time to get in now at around $16.25? or is it better to wait till just before launch (tues close) to get in? would appreciate your expert opinions!
    Sorry bbhoe1 but to give advise as to when to buy would be wrong. Only you can make that decision and since this is yoiur first time diving in, you should seek some professional advice before hand.
    01-28-13 03:30 PM
    Volatility is scary to both individuals and markets. Having said that:

If you can stomach …the volatility, I think you'll be better rewarded this year if you stick it out," Eric Jackson of Ironfire Capital, said recently on CNBC.
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-28-13 03:32 PM
    Hi all,

Never take stock tips from fans of the company you want to buy stock in - that applies to anything.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    01-28-13 03:41 PM
    Sorry bbhoe1 but to give advise as to when to buy would be wrong. Only you can make that decision and since this is yoiur first time diving in, you should seek some professional advice before hand.
    Agreed. I'd also add that any advice about when specifically to buy is as likely to be wrong as right. I remember from one study I saw that the accuracy percentage for analysts predicting movements (up, down) of one commodity for the following week was around 52%.

Professional advice should be good for letting you think about risk tolerance, investment strategies, and other things though.
    Geeoff and bbhope1 like this.
    01-28-13 03:51 PM
    Hi all,

If I was you I would invest $100,000.00 on RIM straight away through this link here >> Investopedia Stock Simulator
    01-28-13 03:56 PM
    Hi all,

personally i would pay off my education, buy a house, make contributions to a RRSP(if Canadian) and only then consider risking my money on stocks,
    but if you can handle losses of 20% on a daily base and up to 90% on an extended base, go for it..........
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-28-13 04:13 PM
    Hi all,

I think most would agree that if you're in for the long haul, $16.25 is a resonable price to pay. If you've got trading tendencies, you're maybe jumping in a bit soon as there still might be more blood to spill. Here's your "gambling" element... do I look long or focus on short term?

good luck
    01-28-13 04:25 PM
    Hi gang,

Thought I would post my last chart on RIM and make a few comments here.

Here's the chart:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-jan-28-2012-chart.jpg

Other than a big correction, we are actually running along well within the channel here with little support at this level. It was the 5-dma that got us to $ 18.00 from $ 11.50 a couple of weeks ago. The area between the trendlines is the tradeable area and we are making good use of that area! I wrote some puts today to acquire more shares at the equivalent of $ 15.00/shr (Feb $ 17.00 puts), as you can see, I'm bullish on RIM and don't mind sticking it out here. Today, we opened above the 5-dma, held it nicely until the mysterious time of 10:00 AM when the market got flooded with shares. All of this looks like the shorts taking one more run at the stock here. We formed a small pennant at the top of the recent run, and as you can see, each of the last three days the stock saw lower highs which is not bullish at all.

So what's it all mean? I like corrections within a bull run, they are the best thing to setup another run and now I feel its only a matter of time before we reach $ 19.00/shr, possibly this week. Tomorrow I hope we can find support in the morning and close up on the day setting us up for a really nice run on Wednesday. Without this correction, I wasn't bullish on launch day, but now I am. The RSI was grossly over-bought this morning, well above 70 RSI, now it is neutral again sitting at 61.48 so we aren't over-bought, we have some support at the 10-dma which is just below our close and major news coming, that spells rally!! I would like to say one last thing, the slope of this upward channel is such that we are projecting $ 30.00/shr by the end of May 2013. If we just trade within this channel and try not to do anything special here, just rally and correct and rally again, we will get to $ 30.00, that is amazing, so let's not forget that this stock doesn't have to move much to make us a ton of money here.

I'm not able to be around for the next couple of days and will miss the launch I'm afraid, hope all goes well with you guys .... so make some money for me while I'm away! GL
    01-28-13 04:45 PM
113,256 ... 118119120121122 ...