View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    Back on topic....I believe with this good news I woke up to this morning, that RIMM, who I have actively supported since its inception, is now going to reward me for my loyalty this week, and quite handsomely, I might add. Whataya' say naysayers, will my RIMM portfolio be worth 10%, 20%, or maybe 30% more by week's end?
    Nope, if they had picked an outsider then maybe, but promoting the COO who was present for all the missteps and having Jim and Mike still be active on the board means RIMM is moving in the right direction, but I serious doubt Wall Street will give them 20-30%. Maybe 10% but closer to 5% would be my guess. An outsider might have seen a more dramatic rise. I could be wrong, but I think for many the new boss will be the same as the old boss(es). Guess they couldn't hack the $1 a year thing. Why would they announce that and then resign so soon thereafter. Typical.

I hope this is a good sign for RIMM, but I wish it had been more dramatic and that they had brought in an outsider to lead them both for the stock price and for the future of the company. Alex Saunders is the only person at RIMM that I have seen that seems to get it, hope he gets a promotion in the shakeup.
    01-23-12 07:20 AM
    Nope, if they had picked an outsider then maybe, but promoting the COO who was present for all the missteps and having Jim and Mike still be active on the board means RIMM is moving in the right direction, but I serious doubt Wall Street will give them 20-30%. Maybe 10% but closer to 5% would be my guess. An outsider might have seen a more dramatic rise. I could be wrong, but I think for many the new boss will be the same as the old boss(es). Guess they couldn't hack the $1 a year thing. Why would they announce that and then resign so soon thereafter. Typical.

I hope this is a good sign for RIMM, but I wish it had been more dramatic and that they had brought in an outsider to lead them both for the stock price and for the future of the company. Alex Saunders is the only person at RIMM that I have seen that seems to get it, hope he gets a promotion in the shakeup.
    Guess even I was too positive. RIMM is down 3.5% to $16.40 in heavy pre-market trading (2.5M shares traded already). That could certainly reverse direction today but clearly the early birds don't think this is what RIMM needed.
    01-23-12 08:00 AM
    Back on topic....I believe with this good news I woke up to this morning, that RIMM, who I have actively supported since its inception, is now going to reward me for my loyalty this week, and quite handsomely, I might add. Whataya' say naysayers, will my RIMM portfolio be worth 10%, 20%, or maybe 30% more by week's end?

I'm not so sure..

Guess even I was too positive. RIMM is down 3.5% to $16.40 in heavy pre-market trading (2.5M shares traded already). That could certainly reverse direction today but clearly the early birds don't think this is what RIMM needed.
    01-23-12 08:18 AM
    I'm not so sure..
    I'd say my post was exactly on topic. Sorry if the truth is not what you wanted it to be, but the gap down at the open of almost 4% is the truth. It is probably overdone and may even reverse itself, but I don't see how its off topic???
    01-23-12 08:36 AM
    I'd say my post was exactly on topic. Sorry if the truth is not what you wanted it to be, but the gap down at the open of almost 4% is the truth. It is probably overdone and may even reverse itself, but I don't see how its off topic???
    I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I didn't say your post was off topic at all. It was on topic.
    01-23-12 08:39 AM
    I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I didn't say your post was off topic at all. It was on topic.
    Got it, I thought the "not sure" was about the post, not the stock price. Now down almost 7% at the open.... and CNBC's lead story on its webpage. Why didn't they tell the new guy to say he was going to build on Jim and Mike's work and take the company in a new direction with new focus? Saying we are ok we just need to market ourselves better is NOT what investors wanted to hear or what the company needs. I think I heard that Italian Cruise ship captain say the same thing as he "fell into" the life boat while abandoning ship....
    01-23-12 08:48 AM
    eeeesshh, another disaster. you gotta hand it to rim, they take a golden opportunity to make a positive impact on the stock and they spin it right the other way.
    01-23-12 08:52 AM
    Market just opened and tech stocks are down across the board. Give it time. Good time to add shares.
    01-23-12 08:59 AM
    Not sure what markets you are watching but the NASDAQ is up 17 points, Dow up 38, S&P up 6 points and dreaded Apple is up 1.75%, IBM is up $1.35, even Cisco is up a dime.....
    01-23-12 09:13 AM
    I'm thanking my lucky stars I sold RIMM Jan 20th for $17.25. I purchased RIMM on Dec 21st for $13.90. The market more than covered my loss I took buying the Playbook and watching its value drop by 50%.

How far will the stock drop today? I'm eager to make some more money
    01-23-12 09:19 AM
    i wont be selling mine, stock has been upgraded to 'hold' rating.
    01-23-12 09:26 AM
    i wont be selling mine, stock has been upgraded to 'hold' rating.
    Look for a cycle of downgrades now that the chance RIM had to make a big splash and change has seemingly turned out not to be much at all.
    01-23-12 09:36 AM
    This is the Year of the Dragon, the biggest, baddest, and mightiest animal in the Chinese Zodiac, and RIM, like the Dragon, has ushered in a new year, that will represent the wealth and power that is rightfully RIM's and for all her supporters.

Lampoon away naysayers, but if I may wax philosophic, me thinks that I and many who own RIMM stock will be saying in a few short months, "We told you so."
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-23-12 10:14 AM
    This is the Year of the Dragon, the biggest, baddest, and mightiest animal in the Chinese Zodiac, and RIM, like the Dragon, has ushered in a new year, that will represent the wealth and power that is rightfully RIM's and for all her supporters.

Lampoon away naysayers, but me thinks that I and many who own RIMM stock will be saying in a few short months, "We told you so."
    I hope you are right, but relying on the Chinese New Year and Zodiac for investment advise is at least as bad as relying on the " Analysts."
    01-23-12 10:16 AM
    I hope you are right, but relying on the Chinese New Year and Zodiac for investment advise is at least as bad as relying on the " Analysts."
    If you feel your azz is on fire one day in the late Spring, your first thought shouldn't be that you're standing behind an F-14 with her afterburners in Stage III, but rather 'namvet's mighty Dragon has come home to roost.
    OMGitworks likes this.
    01-23-12 10:43 AM
    Call me a dreamer, a fanatic, a fool or whatever, I'm just buying some RIM shares right now.
    While I think it can't really hurt me and I may have a delicious surprise in,say, 5 years, I'm not doing this in a speculative vision, just a support action. As my savings are low, I'll not spend a lot, so maybe I'll buy only 5.

How many of us (and friends) can afford this ? I don't know ...
    But if we actively buzz this, it may ... oh, yes, I'm a dreamer...
    But just imagine 10% of BB users claiming five shares ...

P.S: Yes, I'm a part of the 99% : I have no other share anywhere.

Disclaimer : buying shares is a high risk action that must not be done unless the money you engage is under 5% of your personal liquid assets. By no mean I intend to forecast a raise of the shares or any kind of advantage. Be aware that You can lose everything and I won't be responsible for this in any circumstance. (if any jurist is around, please PM me if this disclaimer is a fail !)

Could you explain to me how shares work and how you could lose everything?? Also could you explain how to buy shares and keep track of them?

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-23-12 11:57 AM
    absolutely disgusting day for the stock..
    01-23-12 02:48 PM
    RIMM hasn't done anything unusual today that would suggest all is not well at RIM....give it time folks, the Dragon is on his way.
    01-23-12 02:51 PM
    If you feel your azz is on fire one day in the late Spring, your first thought shouldn't be that you're standing behind an F-14 with her afterburners in Stage III, but rather 'namvet's mighty Dragon has come home to roost.
    Actually I think his first thought would be "what am I doing in the country that still flies the F-14?"
    01-23-12 02:52 PM
    absolutely disgusting day for the stock..
    Stock's been up and down for months. I think a management change was already priced in, since there was a sharp spike from the bottom when it was hinted that Jim and Mike might step down as co-chairmen.

I'm surprised to see it drop this much, to be honest, since I figured there'd be a more positive response to these management changes, but the knee- reaction seems to be disappointment that an insider got promoted to CEO.

As for MY take... I was surprised to see Mike and Jim leave the executive office, but at least they did it gracefully. I suspect that Hines didn't get picked at random, I suspect he was given the reins a few months ago and has since shown more discipline than his predecessors.

I'm in long. I'm not going to sweat one day. I've got my eye on the next quarterly report; I want to see a userbase of over 2MIL Playbook users, and the marketing plan for the 2.0 reboot.
    01-23-12 03:11 PM
    ya, it's been up and down for months, but i think this is the biggest increase/drop percentage wise we've seen in as long as i can remember (perhaps Q3 earnings call?).
    01-23-12 03:44 PM
    ya, it's been up and down for months, but i think this is the biggest increase/drop percentage wise we've seen in as long as i can remember (perhaps Q3 earnings call?).
    As I say, I do think management changes were priced in, so I wasn't expecting a huge boost.

I'm a little puzzled by the decline, though. I wonder what the market was looking for. Maybe an immediate sale announcement?

I don't know. I DO know sentiment plays a big part in day-to-day, but I'd tend to believe that RIM will have to take the long road of convincing investors they're back in it for the long haul.
    01-23-12 03:52 PM
    RIMM hasn't done anything unusual today
    You're right. Dropping over 8% in one day IS nothing unusual for RIM. I think the only way investors could have shown their displeasure more, would have been if they were handed tomatoes to chuck while the new CEO was giving his speech.
    01-23-12 07:00 PM
    Good time to double down on your investment. Stock will move up as RIM delivers OS2 and reports sales and earnings. Proof is in the delivery, not the uninformed so-called analysts who judge a CEO before his first day in that seat.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-23-12 07:14 PM
    You're right. Dropping over 8% in one day IS nothing unusual for RIM. I think the only way investors could have shown their displeasure more, would have been if they were handed tomatoes to chuck while the new CEO was giving his speech.
    Heh, heh, heh....you remind me of a dog I once had...he used to alter the front page of our morning paper by chewing off entire sentences/paragraphs, leaving only a snippet of the full story and its intent. Though he was quite cheerful and charming, as you are, I'm sure, I gave him away to a immigrant family from Borneo, and they ate him.
    Rickroller likes this.
    01-23-12 07:21 PM
107,088 ... 1011121314 ...