View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    For me, I have a bag of cash waiting to put into this stock and given it's on its downswing I tend to hoot and holler as it sinks. Sorry if it bothers you but I got a wad sitting long too and my end game is no different than yours.

In fact, I would argue that the scenario right now is not much different than a roller coaster and equally as exciting.
    As I hinted at earlier, I think you may have missed the boat in terms of bottom... This will be higher on Tuesday. Much higher, unless there's some unknown news that comes out... no one left to downgrade.
    05-23-13 09:16 AM
    As I hinted at earlier, I think you may have missed the boat in terms of bottom... This will be higher on Tuesday. Much higher, unless there's some unknown news that comes out... no one left to downgrade.
    I really don't think so. We just fell negative on the MACD and for the near term there doesn't appear to be anything on the radar to potentially lift us up.

We just have to wait and see but it's following the trend that the cues indicate it should be. Although at a much accelerated pace, due to the slip yesterday and the hangover that's sitting here still.

I'm thinking that if nothing jars us up/down, we could end today in the $14.30s or even high $14.20s.
    05-23-13 09:25 AM
    4 months of holding on to this stock and now back to square one... I could go back and find the quotes where I was thinking of selling at 16+... Must have said it around 5 times... Blah. O well, it's time for the percolator.

05-23-13 09:28 AM
    I really don't think so. We just fell negative on the MACD and for the near term there doesn't appear to be anything on the radar to potentially lift us up.

We just have to wait and see but it's following the trend that the cues indicate it should be. Although at a much accelerated pace, due to the slip yesterday and the hangover that's sitting here still.

I'm thinking that if nothing jars us up/down, we could end today in the $14.30s or even high $14.20s.
    I'm talking strictly entry point - we went sub $14.10 today. Barring something external, this will not test that level again today. Too much support/res at $14.20-14.30. If you're sitting on cash, you're losing money not getting in prior to $14.40 or close to that #... IMHO.
    Trends on what HAS happened are not indicitive of what will happen, unless you're looking at what the computers look at. And the 5 and 50DMA are above us - so I'm not sure what you're waiting for as far as a signal goes with nothing new on the horizon.
    05-23-13 09:28 AM
    4 months of holding on to this stock and now back to square one... I could go back and find the quotes where I was thinking of selling at 16+... Must have said it around 5 times... Blah. O well, it's time for the percolator.

It's going to come around again Kid, not to worry. Hopefully we'll barely see $16, like the lines on the highway! LOL
    lcjr, Bugmapper, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    05-23-13 09:30 AM
    I'm talking strictly entry point - we went sub $14.10 today. Barring something external, this will not test that level again today. Too much support/res at $14.20-14.30. If you're sitting on cash, you're losing money not getting in prior to $14.40 or close to that #... IMHO.
    Trends on what HAS happened are not indicitive of what will happen, unless you're looking at what the computers look at. And the 5 and 50DMA are above us - so I'm not sure what you're waiting for as far as a signal goes with nothing new on the horizon.
    I agree but we have a big void ahead of us and i am not trying to come off as negative on the stock but our experience on long periods of virtually now news is a long and winding road downward, with the odd bear raid thrown in.

Until there's something else to make me think differently, my thinking is ceteris paribus. Since February, we seem to be following a pretty methodical up and down. Go back a couple of pages to see what Bugmapper put up...looks like the 1, 2, 3 shuffle. By the looks of it, we're on the 3rd step right now and I'm preparing to do a twirl and jump into step 1.

One thing I have learned is that holding cash is always good. Otherwise you can't jump on opportunities and there's an opportunity cost associated with that.
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-23-13 09:35 AM
    15.20 would make my week! Or anything above 14.70!
    Charles Martin1, lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    05-23-13 09:37 AM
    I agree but we have a big void ahead of us and i am not trying to come off as negative on the stock but our experience on long periods of virtually now news is a long and winding road downward, with the odd bear raid thrown in.

Until there's something else to make me think differently, my thinking is ceteris paribus. Since February, we seem to be following a pretty methodical up and down. Go back a couple of pages to see what Bugmapper put up...looks like the 1, 2, 3 shuffle. By the looks of it, we're on the 3rd step right now and I'm preparing to do a twirl and jump into step 1.
    Completely agree, and I wholeheartedly liked that post he had - drawings and all - but his point is we're at teh end of that dip - there's nothing in that chart that shows the third dip will go on and on below $13. We're at higher lows... This isn't Feb.

M8 will come in shortly, I'm sure, but my point is for those who are trying to maximize your profits, you should try and peg the bottom - and that's my point. Sitting on cash shows less buying interest, and only feeds the bears to drive it lower. More buying interest will scare off the HF into not flooding the market with shares.Who wants to be left holding the bag on unloaded shares that get called for in a month?
    05-23-13 09:40 AM

I'd love to start round 4 of the bugmapper shuffle (waltz?), but we need a kick to get us back to $16-$17 range. The timing is perfect in the next couple of days to start the next stage that will end on June 28th, with support at $15.50.

BlackBerry! Where is our kick?
    Last edited by Bugmapper; 05-23-13 at 09:54 AM.
    05-23-13 09:40 AM
    Yes but I'm holding about 5% of my holdings in cash. Between buying and selling other stuff I like to have at least that much sitting...although I often stray from that and find during those times that there were adds I could've made but didn't because I left myself short.

The only thing I'll add is that we may have to stand at step 3 a little longer than we'd like, maybe even a dip thrown in. Doesn't make for a pretty chart but it's all I can see.

We've all got our approaches and this is what works for me. I don't mean to stir up the pot, so I'll stop now. That's not my intention.
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-23-13 09:44 AM
    Can someone explain what the difference is between using different RSI values like 14 or 10 or whatever other number? Why are there different ways and why do the numbers vary so drastically? The default one used on Stockcharts is 14 so that's what I've been trying to learn from.
    Hello CJCampbell,

The RSI's creator, J. Welles Wilder, Jr., advocated using a period of 14 trading days. To use fewer is to create an RSI that is more sensitive to day-to-day (trading days, of course) price movements; to use more is to create an RSI that is less sensitive. In general, you would use a less sensitive RSI as your trading outlook extends further into the future. The way I see it is that the number you choose is directly correlated to your tolerance for short-term risk--a higher number of periods would mean you have a higher tolerance for risk and vice versa. Trying to pick the "right" number for your risk tolerance is sort of like trying to figure out how much money to put in a slot machine before walking away. I don't think there is any "right" answer aside from, as you concluded, personal preference; but I do think that some stocks lend themselves to an RSI that uses one number of periods versus another stock. For example, I would choose a higher number of periods for more volatile stocks (to reduce the likelihood of false overbought/oversold triggers) and a lower number for less volatile stocks.

Aside from periods, there is no magic in the 30/70 values either. You can choose 10, say, or 14 periods (adjust as needed) but also play with your threshold percentages for overbought and oversold--20/80 might make more sense for a more volatile stock, for instance.
    05-23-13 09:48 AM
    Hello CJCampbell,

The RSI's creator, J. Welles Wilder, Jr., advocated using a period of 14 trading days. To use fewer is to create an RSI that is more sensitive to day-to-day (trading days, of course) price movements; to use more is to create an RSI that is less sensitive. In general, you would use a less sensitive RSI as your trading outlook extends further into the future. The way I see it is that the number you choose is directly correlated to your tolerance for short-term risk--a higher number of periods would mean you have a higher tolerance for risk and vice versa. Trying to pick the "right" number for your risk tolerance is sort of like trying to figure out how much money to put in a slot machine before walking away. I don't think there is any "right" answer aside from, as you concluded, personal preference; but I do think that some stocks lend themselves to an RSI that uses one number of periods versus another stock. For example, I would choose a higher number of periods for more volatile stocks (to reduce the likelihood of false overbought/oversold triggers) and a lower number for less volatile stocks.

Aside from periods, there is no magic in the 30/70 values either. You can choose 10, say, or 14 periods (adjust as needed) but also play with your threshold percentages for overbought and oversold--20/80 might make more sense for a more volatile stock, for instance.
    how is it calculated, what are the numbers that are plugged in?

I have heard you guys mention it often, but never both too answer.
    05-23-13 09:59 AM
    how is it calculated, what are the numbers that are plugged in?

I have heard you guys mention it often, but never both too answer.
    Relative Strength Index (RSI) - ChartSchool - StockCharts.com

Simple calculation...powerful tool though.
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-23-13 10:27 AM
    For me, I have a bag of cash waiting to put into this stock and given it's on its downswing I tend to hoot and holler as it sinks. Sorry if it bothers you but I got a wad sitting long too and my end game is no different than yours.

In fact, I would argue that the scenario right now is not much different than a roller coaster and equally as exciting.
    So if you don't have a position and posting about how it's going down and not looking good then your agenda is to help the shared go down. I've noticed that when you're long you don't do that.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 10:29 AM
    Off topic but I thought this was a pretty funny Windows commercial...

05-23-13 10:34 AM
    Pretty sure he states right in his post that he has a "wad sitting long too"

So if you don't have a position and posting about how it's going down and not looking good then your agenda is to help the shared go down. I've noticed that when you're long you don't do that.

Posted via CB10

take99, bungaboy and morganplus8 like this.
    05-23-13 10:37 AM
    Duh, what a bonehead. Shorted BB at the open. Covered at a loss. Cut my loss by going long on BB. Thereafter HND after the ng report. All good now, took my cash, now shorting BB. Ah, the life and times of a day trader. The DOW now at -15, what a joke. Good work Wall Street, smoke and mirrors, sweep Ben's comments from yesterday under the carpet. Regardless, Big Ben will be back in a few weeks. Then what!?
    Scott Lefebvre likes this.
    05-23-13 10:39 AM
    dont worry about it
    05-23-13 10:43 AM
    There is a bit of "magic" in them -if only because a lot of algorithmic trading uses them. Kind of a catch-22 - it doesn't *really* have significance standing on its own but there's a behavioral agreement to treat it as if it's significant, thus making it significant...

[edit: Over simplified... the observed behavior around 30/70 RSI was valid to begin with, or it never would have gained traction... but algorithm-based technical trading has certainly cemented it's place... ]
    05-23-13 10:58 AM
    Never dipped back below $14.35, now it's up another 1% from there - $14.50 to $14.70 today? or can we close higher?

Cowbell please!
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-23-13 11:00 AM
    Never dipped back below $14.35, now it's up another 1% from there - $14.50 to $14.70 today? or can we close higher?

Cowbell please!
    I'm hoping to tackle the 5dma at least. It's going to take a little more volume though. Until that volume comes, I'll be working the bell with a steady beat.
    05-23-13 11:03 AM
    Should have bought at the opening.
    05-23-13 11:03 AM
    There is a bit of "magic" in them -if only because a lot of algorithmic trading uses them. Kind of a catch-22 - it doesn't *really* have significance standing on its own but there's a behavioral agreement to treat it as if it's significant, thus making it significant...

[edit: Over simplified... the observed behavior around 30/70 RSI was valid to begin with, or it never would have gained traction... but algorithm-based technical trading has certainly cemented it's place... ]
    Depends on the sentiment but I think that they are a good line for managing limits.
    05-23-13 11:04 AM
    BB at $15+
    Good thing I covered my short for a small profit, now in HND.
    OK, boys, pump BB for the bulls and for me to short later
    05-23-13 11:05 AM
    Ahhhhh...
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-color_icon_green_svg.png
    05-23-13 11:05 AM
113,256 ... 10771078107910801081 ...