View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.77%
  • No

411 37.23%
    I give the decision of BBM cross-platforms a positive view. If they play this smart (I think they will), this can help selling BB phones and gain the market share quickly.
    This is the way to do it:
    At the beginning, the functions of BMM will be at the equal footing for all the platforms. In this phase, it hooks as many BBM users as possible (said, 50 million BBM users from iPhones and Andoids).
    On the next upgrade of the BBM, the new functions will only be comparable with BB phone.
    This will motivate the iphone and andords users to upgrade their phone with a BB phone.
    Good point... just like Google (as far as I'm aware), they make the newest iteration of Android on their own Nexxus phones right away, then it's trickled over to the other OEM phones over time. So in the same way, new BBM features can be available first or simply work better on BB phones than they do on other platforms.

Edit: ie. maybe something like screen capture will work more fluently if being used from BB10 phone to BB10 phone
    morganplus8 likes this.
    05-15-13 11:26 AM
    I don't think that will happen. The rights follow the shares. There is no calling back shares, they are either loaned out or they are not, you can't sever the share/vote AFAIK.
    Calling Your Shorts:

The broker who lent the shares that you sold short may ask for the shares back at any time, in which case you will have to buy shares to cover those you borrowed from him. A broker has the right and sole discretion to require a short seller to cover, even if it's at an inopportune time.
    05-15-13 11:31 AM
    I give the decision of BBM cross-platforms a positive view. If they play this smart (I think they will), this can help selling BB phones and gain the market share quickly.
    This is the way to do it:
    At the beginning, the functions of BMM will be at the equal footing for all the platforms. In this phase, it hooks as many BBM users as possible (said, 50 million BBM users from iPhones and Andoids).
    On the next upgrade of the BBM, the new functions will only be comparable with BB phone.
    This will motivate the iphone and andords users to upgrade their phone with a BB phone.
    I don't know. BlackBerry is bleeding users in emerging markets, people are switching to Android when data plans become more affordable.
    The Q5 is not a phone for the masses, the price point and specs are too high to become popular in emerging markets. In countries where BB is extremely popular as in Indonesia, South Africa, Venezuela, BBM is good to keep the users in the platform, dropping exclusivity is just opening the door for a mass migration to Android.
    05-15-13 11:34 AM
    Can someone clarify or post a link regarding the the BES10 - $100/non BB device fee? is it $100 per year or a one shot deal? I've read one thing, then the other on this....
    I think it is $59/year/device as of yesterday?
    morganplus8, fedakd and m0de25 like this.
    05-15-13 11:38 AM
    I don't know. BlackBerry is bleeding users in emerging markets, people are switching to Android when data plans become more affordable.
    The Q5 is not a phone for the masses, the price point and specs are too high to become popular in emerging markets. In countries where BB is extremely popular as in Indonesia, South Africa, Venezuela, BBM is good to keep the users in the platform, dropping exclusivity is just opening the door for a mass migration to Android.
    BBM voice might be the ticket here to one up the cheaper competition.
    Bilaal likes this.
    05-15-13 11:39 AM
    Maybe so but those markets where BB is popular has not kept them from losing money. They are needing a way to reach out beyond the current subscriber base and monetize their offerings. Now of course those markets are important, but with BB10 and the lack of BIS, which is the real reason BB is popular there due to the cost of the plans, BB is on equal footing, cost wise, with the other players. Now.... IF they were to do this without a new OS and continued with a new iteration of BBOS, then I can see where this would be a bad move, but now that BB has a real competitor in the race, and one that can only get better by leaps and bounds, the decision to offer BBM to others could prove to be a genius move. Not only to garner funds from advertising, but to let users of the other platforms see what BB can do. It would make a lot of them curious as to what the experience on a BB is like whereas they would simply write them off in the current methodology.
    05-15-13 11:41 AM
    I think it is $59/year/device as of yesterday?
    Plus the one time per device license fee. Anyone currently using gets a free upgrade but added devices will require the purchase of the license.
    m0de25 likes this.
    05-15-13 11:43 AM
    Good point... just like Google (as far as I'm aware), they make the newest iteration of Android on their own Nexxus phones right away, then it's trickled over to the other OEM phones over time. So in the same way, new BBM features can be available first or simply work better on BB phones than they do on other platforms.

Edit: ie. maybe something like screen capture will work more fluently if being used from BB10 phone to BB10 phone
    Another point there - iOS user BBMing BB user ....BB user "oh let me screenshare this cool video I took"....iOS user "what? screenshare?" ...BB user "oh right, you're on iOS, you can't do that".

Word of mouth of cool advanced BBM features only for BB users, and also how great the BB10 OS is.
    morganplus8, m0de25, zyben and 2 others like this.
    05-15-13 11:43 AM
    Calling Your Shorts:

The broker who lent the shares that you sold short may ask for the shares back at any time, in which case you will have to buy shares to cover those you borrowed from him. A broker has the right and sole discretion to require a short seller to cover, even if it's at an inopportune time.
    I don't disagree that they can force them to cover, that is also part and parcel of the margin account agreement, but I seriously doubt they are going to interrupt their money making operations to get voting rights back and to do that, you need the shares back. They only care about the $$ and most institutions and people with large enough margin accounts also only care about the $$.

Bottom line is that I think the only way you know for sure is to not hold the shares in street name, or not have a margin account, or to get physical certificates if they even still do that????

EDIT: Just to be clear. I think most of the shares that are actually shorted are from institutions that are making money on the loan of shares. 99.99% of the time they want that deal and don't care about voting rights. Small players like most on this Board, even if they have margin accounts, are not loaning their shares, nor is their brokerage, its too much of a hassle for your trader and there are rules on how they do it. These short #'s we see reported are either likely either naked shorts or large institutions loaning out their shares for $$$. The naked shorts can mess with voting by creating phantom shares (they have sold shares that don't exist and aren't covered). This is all very esoteric, just follow the $$$.
    Last edited by OMGitworks; 05-15-13 at 12:03 PM.
    05-15-13 11:44 AM
    Yeah. I wish somebody stopped me from buying more yesterday. This morning was a beautiful opportunity.
    I made a wise decision yesterday to sell, although I sold at a not so good price for yesterday.
    Looking to get back in today. Needed a lottt of patience this morning, to sit and wait till now....
    05-15-13 11:48 AM
    Since we are about to, or already on page 1,000. I'm going to make a suggestion to all the new investors out there.

Read and understand "The Intelligent Investor" by Benjamin Graham.

It's a big book and it was written back in '49 but it has been revised several times and it still applies today. (Note that I said new investors, not new traders.... different DNA) If you don't know who Benjamin Graham is... he schooled Warren Buffet. And if you don't know who Warren Buffet is..... ya might wanna Google him before you go too much further in the investing game.

Just a little PSA... and congratulations to Superfly_FR on 1,000 pages!!

First thing I bought when I started investing! Thumbs up Buddy!
    Bugmapper likes this.
    05-15-13 11:57 AM
    I don't disagree that they can force them to cover, that is also part and parcel of the margin account agreement, but I seriously doubt they are going to interrupt their money making operations to get voting rights back and to do that, you need the shares back. They only care about the $$ and most institutions and people with large enough margin accounts also only care about the $$.

Bottom line is that I think the only way you know for sure is to not hold the shares in street name, or not have a margin account, or to get physical certificates if they even still do that????

EDIT: Just to be clear. I think most of the shares that are actually shorted are from institutions that are making money on the loan of shares. 99.99% of the time they want that deal and don't care about voting rights. Small players like most on this Board, even if they have margin accounts, are not loaning their shares, nor is their brokerage, its too much of a hassle for your trader and there are rules on how they do it. These short #'s we see reported are either likely either naked shorts or large institutions loaning out their shares for $$$. The naked shorts can mess with voting by creating phantom shares (they have sold shares that don't exist and aren't covered). This is all very esoteric, just follow the $$$.
    I thought naked short sales had to be covered in a VERY timely manner like a day or two. If they were to be the real "culprit" and could be held indefinitely, then why would anyone go the loan route and pay the interest on the loaned out shares?
    05-15-13 12:07 PM
    Icjr

When you sold you did so because you were comfortable with the profit you made and wanted to lock it in. If it had fallen then you would still be smiling. I don't think you made a bad call. You got out and walked away with $$.
    Let it be an investing lesson. When BBRY shines....maybe hold some even after you lock your profits. One never knows.

GL to you!

I'll hold you to that Charles! lol I missed out on a lot of money because of my lack of patience.
    05-15-13 12:08 PM
    Just put an order in for 325 more shares. Go BB
    05-15-13 12:11 PM
    Icjr

When you sold you did so because you were comfortable with the profit you made and wanted to lock it in. If it had fallen then you would still be smiling. I don't think you made a bad call. You got out and walked away with $$.
    Let it be an investing lesson. When BBRY shines....maybe hold some even after you lock your profits. One never knows.

GL to you!
    I sold half of my PG holdings. Yes, you're right. If t had fallen i wouldn't have been so riled. In a day or two it won't mean squat...it just feel worst than it is.
    lcjr likes this.
    05-15-13 12:12 PM
    05-15-13 12:13 PM
    Nice news but nothing to get excited about.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 12:15 PM
    05-15-13 12:18 PM
    another interesting use of BBM Channel!
    CB member Bolderholder commented this under the LA County Sherrif Dep't article (on Crackberry's homepage):

"Hey with BBM Channel coming on line later this year, I wonder if they'll leverage the power and immediacy of BBM to broadcast wanted and missing persons, car chases etc...

Amber alerts will reach lots more people with pics on their smartphones rather than rely on hearing and remembering descriptions.

The more I think of it, the potential of BBM channel is intriguing.

Posted via CB10"
    05-15-13 12:21 PM
    Can someone clarify or post a link regarding the the BES10 - $100/non BB device fee? is it $100 per year or a one shot deal? I've read one thing, then the other on this....
    $59/device/annum
    m0de25 likes this.
    05-15-13 12:26 PM
    I thought naked short sales had to be covered in a VERY timely manner like a day or two. If they were to be the real "culprit" and could be held indefinitely, then why would anyone go the loan route and pay the interest on the loaned out shares?
    I think the US rule is 3 days but I also think that there are plenty of work arounds. I haven't been involved since the new rules went into effect but those types are "Creative ".

MP8 - how do they bypass the rules these days. I assume it's happening?

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 12:32 PM
    another interesting use of BBM Channel!
    CB member Bolderholder commented this under the LA County Sherrif Dep't article (on Crackberry's homepage):

"Hey with BBM Channel coming on line later this year, I wonder if they'll leverage the power and immediacy of BBM to broadcast wanted and missing persons, car chases etc...

Amber alerts will reach lots more people with pics on their smartphones rather than rely on hearing and remembering descriptions.

The more I think of it, the potential of BBM channel is intriguing.

Posted via CB10"
    Would these be the same or different alerts we currently are offered? I had to turn mine off because of the god-aweful sound the alarms give off when they send out alerts. Good stuff though.
    05-15-13 12:35 PM
    Would these be the same or different alerts we currently are offered? I had to turn mine off because of the god-aweful sound the alarms give off when they send out alerts. Good stuff though.
    I can only hope we'll soon find out
    lcjr likes this.
    05-15-13 12:40 PM
    Is there a beta version of BBM Channels available yet?
    05-15-13 12:51 PM
    05-15-13 12:51 PM
104,898 ... 10011002100310041005 ...