News Sources - The Globe and Mail
    02-13-14 08:56 AM
    BBM Voice and BBM Channels Now Available for Android and iPhone Customers

News Sources - The Globe and Mail

And yet SP is dropping
    02-13-14 09:02 AM
    Ah...BBM 2.0 is here...? Well...good

Posted via CB10
    Except that the majority of U.S. users are still on 10.1 and don't have Channels. The 10.2.1 U.S. rollout is still slowly progressing, no?

So with Glympse, more emoticons, drop box and the new UI, iPhone and Android users now have more features than most U.S. BlackBerry users. (I don't count the BlackBerry BBM beta testers.) They're only lacking BBM Video?

Not good BlackBerry...

Posted via CB10
    02-13-14 09:02 AM
    I do agree that it's not all that abnormal, but I still don't feel confident that I now have a clear understanding of what is going on at BlackBerry. Chen's arrival brought a lot of big smiles and sparkling lights, but I'm sorry - I don't feel as though I understand what he is going to do, and as an investor, that doesn't make be comfortable.

Whereas a few months ago I felt better about the vision laid out by Chen, now I feel more and more as though I am gambling with my money as opposed to speculating or investing.

A few bold statements Chen HAS made have worried me: 'We are going back to mainly keyboards' - (really??); 'We are going to focus mainly on enterprise...etc.'.

Chen's plans seem to be a harder push at things that got BlackBerry into a mess in the first place. I'm not saying it won't work, but I get the idea that he sees a clear separation between enterprise and consumer, and in my view this attitude and approach could prove fatal. He doesn't seem to be taking the popular culture regarding BlackBerry seriously at all, and I don't feel confident that he understands how important BBMx is to repairing brand image and breaking back into the consumer market, which, as I said, cannot really be cut off from the enterprise market unless he expects people to continue carrying two phones around or stop buying handsets altogether. I don't like any of it if I'm honest, and wonder whether some of the folks who have left felt similarly.

To be clear, I am not saying that I think he is a fool and that he is going to finally ruin BlackBerry. I'm not. I'm simply saying that I have no idea what he is up to, and get the feeling he is creeping further and further away from the things (BBMx, brand culture building, consumer handsets, etc.) that I believe are key to a real recovery.

The 'Alamo' strategy is very, very risky indeed. All it takes is for Samsung or someone else to get a big contract or pass an important security clearance test, and BlackBerry are burnt toast if they haven't got the consumer/social media market to fall back on.

Too much focus on enterprise at the expense of consumers/social media is risky to the point of recklessness, and I think folks should think carefully before making Chen out to be the BlackBerry messiah.

Posted via CB10
    When you head to the bomb shelter, to re-group, you have to decide who/what you are taking with you, as space is limited.

You take what has brought you to the dance. Enterprise and keypads. You, re-trench and solidify your base position. From there you start the re-build.

I am willing to let Chen do his thing. He is a battle conditioned warrior and commander.
    Im Mo Green, zyben, jxnb and 2 others like this.
    02-13-14 09:03 AM
    A few bold statements Chen HAS made have worried me: 'We are going back to mainly keyboards' - (really??); 'We are going to focus mainly on enterprise...etc.'.
    Worries me to. And I am not the only developer who is worried about the cancelled roadmap for the next native SDK...

But something does not fit into this keyboard-enterprise-no-apps-nedded picture: Foxcon is making a cheap BB10 full touchscreen consumer device.

I take it this way: BB needs a really cool Keyboard device ASAP, to replace the still existing legacy devices.
    The Q10 just did not work for this (I think BB10 in the current state is just not that optimized for keyboard as necessary, and the missing trackpad is an issue for many too).
    So this is BBs main task for this year.
    The fulltouchscreen-devices can easily be developed and produced by Foxcon at any time, so that's not BBs focus now. And therefore Chen is not talking about it.
    Last edited by georg4BB; 02-13-14 at 09:20 AM. Reason: damn typos, LOL
    02-13-14 09:04 AM
    When you head to the bomb shelter, to re-group, you have to decide who/what you are taking with you, as space is limited.

You take what has brought you to the dance. Enterprise and keypads. You, re-trench and solidify your base position. From there you start the re-build.

I am willing to let Chen do his thing. He is a battle conditioned warrior and commander.
    A warrior and commander? I really don't think it's healthy to idolise in that way. BBM 2.0 is here...well, coming today...and so I am happy with that. Still, it is foolish to not question. All I was saying that that I don't know what he is planning. I didn't say he was planning a disaster. As an investor, I need more than a warrior and commander; I want to see the battle plan.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-14 09:20 AM
    Except that the majority of U.S. users are still on 10.1 and don't have Channels. The 10.2.1 U.S. rollout is still slowly progressing, no?

So with Glympse, more emoticons, drop box and the new UI, iPhone and Android users now have more features than most U.S. BlackBerry users. (I don't count the BlackBerry BBM beta testers.) They're only lacking BBM Video?

Not good BlackBerry...

Posted via CB10
    To be fair. It is the US Carriers that are the problem with 10.2.1.1925 rollout. Not BlackBerry.
    02-13-14 09:23 AM
    And yet SP is dropping
    Heading to the 10:30 dip. LoL Buying opportunities.

You know how they play this stock.
    02-13-14 09:24 AM
    Worries me to. And I am not the only developer who is worried about the cancelled roadmap for the next native SDK...

But something does not fit into this keyboard-enterprise-no-apps-nedded picture: Foxcon is making a cheap BB10 full touchscreen consumer device.

I take it this way: BB needs a really cool Keyboard device ASAP, to replace the still existing legacy devices.
    The Q10 just did not work for this (I think BB10 in the current state is just not that optimized for keyboard as necessary, and the missing trackpad is an issue for many too).
    So this is BBs main task for this year.
    The fulltouchscreen-devices can easily be developed and produced by Foxcon at any time, so that's not BBs focus now. And therefore Chen is not talking about it.
    I agree with you. I just think he needs to be a bit clearer that BlackBerry will be making top-drawer phones for everyone - keyboards and touch.

Posted via CB10
    zyben and georg4BB like this.
    02-13-14 09:24 AM
    Just so we don't get too far OT, I am glad that BBM 2.0 doesn't have the slightest effect on the SP. I've always seen BBM as a bit of an insurance policy for the SP. I don't want it factored in yet as I am going to stop buying BB at $12 on the gamble that BBMx, fully monetised is going to be worth at least $10. I'm happy to get it for free for now.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-14 09:28 AM
    BBM 2.0 for BlackBerry, Android and iOS now available - Brings channels, voice, location sharing and more | CrackBerry.com
    Home readings

half OT : I've just finished writting a tuto for non destructive OS upgrade using Sachesi. Will help some to get 10.2 aboard. Will tell when validated.
    02-13-14 09:45 AM
    He did lay out the framework of the battleplan during the call. It seems like you want it to be played out in front of your eyes on minute by minute basis, that is not going to happen. You are jumping up and down about nothing from these recent articles. The highlighting of the physical keyboard always was part of the plan, (80% of the remaining subs are enterprise). Thats his immediate target. If Thor and his group could have gotten 20-25% of the existing user base to upgrade in to BB10 in the first 12 months, BBRY wouldn't be in this spot. Thor obviously did not know his market, Chen does.

You keep talking about the consumer market, blackberry does not have one What less than 1%. It seems you want blackberry to be popular, cool, and sexy, I first and foremost want it to be profitable. There is money to made in the enterprise, and that's whats sexy in the stock market
    02-13-14 09:47 AM
    Now that's a ten o'clock dip...
    Attachment 247448
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20140213_164751.png  
    bungaboy and georg4BB like this.
    02-13-14 09:50 AM
    BBM 2.0 for BlackBerry, Android and iOS now available - Brings channels, voice, location sharing and more | CrackBerry.com
    Home readings

half OT : I've just finished writting a tuto for non destructive OS upgrade using Sachesi. Will help some to get 10.2 aboard. Will tell when validated.
    This is fantastic news, the shareholders will see the benefits of cross platform communication once existing users are taking advantage of the upgrade. My real estate developer friends are already going crazy over this! I told them it was coming and that it was chalk full of new features and now they have the product. We know so much more about everything BlackBerry and expect news like this to actually move the price of the stock, let's get serious here, the world isn't aware of these features quite like we are and this will take some time to get the PR and word of mouth out there. But there is no denying that this BBM-x 2.0 is a game changer down the road. Now if only they can complete their CORE program in record time and stop the bleeding ................................
    02-13-14 09:52 AM
    Sorry about that second chart...unable to remove that with the CB10 app.
    02-13-14 09:56 AM
    http://n4bb.com/blackberry-loses-pet...rise-software/

This is the reason the SP is down. I think investors are getting worried that Chen has jot been able to articulate a plan that has inspired the current workforce. He is losing employees he WANTS to retain. These departures could also be interpreted that sales (both device enterprise) are not picking up.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-14 09:57 AM
    We need more headlines like this. Repeat it many times and it becomes real in people's mind

BlackBerry is the Porsche of Telecoms
    Chen Calls BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) "The Porsche Of Telecoms"

Edit: OT, we criticized the press for using images of old BlackBerry devices, I just realized I am guilty of that too using an image of my 8800 for my avatar. LOL
    02-13-14 09:57 AM
    ""You keep talking about the consumer market, blackberry does not have one What less than 1%. It seems you want blackberry to be popular, cool, and sexy, I first and foremost want it to be profitable. There is money to made in the enterprise, and that's whats sexy in the stock market[/QUOTE]""

It's my view that it will be impossible to separate the consumer market from the enterprise market. That was my point. Chen's plan is similar to the original BlackBerry plan: 'no one is going to want this silly iPhone; it's a toy', etc. Remember that?

You said it yourself: BlackBerry has 1%. Of course, that's the US we are talking about, and BlackBerry is far more popular over here in the UK. Is this 1% separate in some way from the millions and millions of phones BlackBerry has been selling to enterprise without anyone noticing?

To be honest, I think if BlackBerry keep releasing increasingly excellent consumer phones geared towards business-type use, they will be okay. They always need a top-drawer touch though. Referring to what you said yourself, how much of the overall market is the enterprise market, especially when BES10 supports the cool consumer phones that these very business people want - Apple, Samsung, etc.? This keyboard approach goes against everything Steve Jobs/Guy Kawasaki said about customers: 'customers cannot tell you want they want or need'. I have to agree with them.

Anyway, this getting OT, so I'm going to leave it. As I said, I don't think you can separate the enterprise device market from the general consumer market - it's pretty much the same market.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-14 10:02 AM
    This is fantastic news, the shareholders will see the benefits of cross platform communication once existing users are taking advantage of the upgrade. My real estate developer friends are already going crazy over this! I told them it was coming and that it was chalk full of new features and now they have the product. We know so much more about everything BlackBerry and expect news like this to actually move the price of the stock, let's get serious here, the world isn't aware of these features quite like we are and this will take some time to get the PR and word of mouth out there. But there is no denying that this BBM-x 2.0 is a game changer down the road. Now if only they can complete their CORE program in record time and stop the bleeding ................................
    If BB is smart enough it will do what Skype did for businesses. Make it free until people addicted to it and then start charging like skype. With BBM on phones, desktops BB can be one standard collaboration unified communication tool for businesses
    02-13-14 10:23 AM
    What great rumors are putting BBRY into the toilet again or is it just that time of the week?
    02-13-14 10:35 AM
    We need more headlines like this. Repeat it many times and it becomes real in people's mind

BlackBerry is the Porsche of Telecoms
    Chen Calls BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) "The Porsche Of Telecoms"

Edit: OT, we criticized the press for using images of old BlackBerry devices, I just realized I am guilty of that too using an image of my 8800 for my avatar. LOL
    I do not think so. I remember when the CEO kept telling us that Blackberry would be number three!
    02-13-14 10:38 AM
    I do not think so. I remember when the CEO kept telling us that Blackberry would be number three!
    I believe that you are confused, Greg.
    We are talking about messages from the press, not from CEO.
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-13-14 10:43 AM
    These two days are going to be very interesting.
    (and I make my little prayer) Get this BBM division apart and inject tons of cash into it.(/prayer)
    02-13-14 10:45 AM
    To be fair. It is the US Carriers that are the problem with 10.2.1.1925 rollout. Not BlackBerry.
    Very true.

The "not good BlackBerry" was because "BBM 2.0" has been in beta on BlackBerry's for a while, even before iphone and Android. Why would they go gold on those two platforms before their own? If they were truly that close, they could've launched on BB10 first or at the least simultaneously.

The way I see it, dropping video on those platforms implies they saw a need to drop something new to attract more/new users on those platforms, make news, and to counter the effect of Bocking's departure. In that respect at least they are capable and willing to do what it takes to make news to counter the bad. That is very different than how the old management seemed to do things. And that is good.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-14 10:45 AM
113,256 ... 24192420242124222423 ...