View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Neat!

Smartphone giant BlackBerry has claimed a victory with the NSW state government endorsing the company�s BlackBerry Enterprise Sector mobile device management platform, as a new report points to a boom for mobile devices in the public sector.
    BlackBerry claims a victory in NSW’s Mobility Solutions Framework as Samsung’s Knox is snubbed
    cjcampbell, zyben, Corbu and 8 others like this.
    02-11-14 07:43 PM
    gurufocus is reporting 1 or 2 more gurus that have bought BBRY stock. I have to verify this info but I know it is atleast one guru.

And, I ordered my wife her Z30 today
    . I hope she hates it so I can take it a year from now. But she said she uses it to talk and e-mail mostly. So I figured the Hub is the tool she needs most. I'll get her hooked into Facebook and BBM and we'll be off!
    Last edited by kfh227; 02-11-14 at 08:04 PM.
    bungaboy, zyben, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    02-11-14 07:51 PM
    Since some of this may be pay for data, I'm only posting the basics. Source is gurufocus.com. It's a great site and we'll just call this a free promotion.

Buy means it's a new holding while add means added to position. Similar with reduce/sold out nomenclature.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbryrecentstock.png
    zyben, bungaboy, jxnb and 2 others like this.
    02-11-14 08:02 PM
    You can use capital losses to offset $3000 worth of ordinary income each year. It's chump change, nowadays, since Congress hasn't raised this amount to keep up with inflation.

Also, I've never heard that only 50% of capital losses can be claimed. Also, you have to separate short term and long term capital gains. It's one of the things that makes trading in a taxable account such a hassle. I try to avoid it and trade out of my SEP IRA account.
    I think these are Canadian rules as Kid Vibe is from Canada I believe. If anyone had any info on how claiming loses in Canada work, I wouldn't mind knowing myself either. Lol
    Kid Vibe, bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    02-11-14 08:14 PM
    GRENADE

I thought for sure people would say negative things when I posted this:
    Bought wife her next phone. - AnandTech Forums

I was shocked to hear people say that they wouldn't mind having one to play with or use as a secondary phone or work phone. A year ago, I posted something like this and it was nothing but bashing.
    02-11-14 11:23 PM
    Will be interesting to see who is left to hold the bag.
    Interesting, the latest short interest covers all previous rallies as not much happened to SP in last 10 days. So from 150 mil to 93 mil SP almost doubled and now wonder how much it would be to cover the next 40 mil. I consider 50 mil is always base interest as BB had around 50 mil short interest for years. I think another 40 mil will cover if BB delivers and big boys jump in. Someone like Ichan rumor can send this SP to $15 easily.
    Kris Erickson likes this.
    02-11-14 11:29 PM
    Suffice it to say, I personally believe that it was totally unnecessary for BB to go this route. They didn't need the money, they should/could have been working hard towards a partnership for the hardware division, there was no need to sell bonds at this time. I lost a great deal of respect for Prem after this move. If it were me, and I was in Prem's shoes, I would have offered those bonds back to BlackBerry at anytime in the future. For example, I truly believe that Lenovo wanted a deal, as did others, there surely would have been a formula that would have worked for each of them. Lenovo could have taken up the hardware risk in exchange for protection using BlackBerry patents, that deal alone would have easily been worth 2 - 3 times the bond offering.

In the end, we missed that deal and they had to strike a deal with Google.

The same could be said regarding their real estate, hard assets that aren't that difficult to sell over a period of a year. The stock was heading for tax-loss selling anyway, the diluted bond offering actually hurt BBRY more than it ever helped them. They still have $ 800 MM coming to them in the form of tax refunds and R&D benefits. There just was no need to sell bonds at this time. The worst thing you can do to a company when they are trying to stop the bleeding and grow a business is tax them with interest payments. With a short position slightly larger than the bond issue, we lost most of the benefit of any good news that landed in the past couple of months.

FairFax spent $ 500 MM on bonds, they could have done a great deal more for BlackBerry by simply buying stock in the open market. Forget all of the other players in that bond issue, just run the numbers with $ 1/2 billion and stock at $ 6.00/shr.. Prem could have obtained a much better average on his holdings and benefited from the rally that came after the Foxconn news. Today we wouldn't even be talking about the heavy resistance at $ 10.00/shr if they hadn't become so greedy. There, I feel better already!
    Thanks Morgan and crew. I needed a bit of knee-bouncing on this one, because I wrestle with the future of BlackBerry investing with this guy attached at their nipple. Actually, the thought crosses my mind that he might be knocking-out the shares to reposition those old intentions that we have seen.

Thanks again.
    02-12-14 01:06 AM
    Good news, lock those bes10 contracts down. Chen needs to take advantage of vompanies that ate already invested in BlackBerry.

Once they move over and invest in a solution I don't think they will see them for a while.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 02:19 AM
    You can use capital losses to offset $3000 worth of ordinary income each year. It's chump change, nowadays, since Congress hasn't raised this amount to keep up with inflation.

Also, I've never heard that only 50% of capital losses can be claimed. Also, you have to separate short term and long term capital gains. It's one of the things that makes trading in a taxable account such a hassle. I try to avoid it and trade out of my SEP IRA account.
    You cite the US/IRS rule, I think the other is for our friends to the north.
    02-12-14 07:49 AM
    Will be interesting to see who is left to hold the bag.
    As I have speculated all along, few if any..... It is an orderly exit no short squeeze here. Some may lose money but sadly those shorts cleaned our clocks over the last few years. It would have been nearly impossible to see a major short squeeze in BBRY given how far it fell and the float. The Thor regime made it a great bet.........for the shorts........ Icahn isn't coming for BBRY.....
    Corbu, anon(4086547) and Kid Vibe like this.
    02-12-14 07:52 AM
    Good morning people..

John Chen Speaks On Saving Blackberry - Forbes

"John Chen Speaks On Saving Blackberry

STEVE JOBS DID IT at Apple . Lou Gerstner and Sam Palmisano did it at IBM . But tech turnarounds are rare. John Chen, CEO of BlackBerry since November, is trying again. BlackBerry is Chen’s second major turnaround attempt. His first was Sybase, a database pioneer that had been crushed by Oracle . Chen came in, found a niche in mobile data and sold Sybase to SAP in 2010 for $5.8 billion.

I had lunch with Chen in January to talk about his plans to fix BlackBerry.

Why attempt this? I thought the world would be better off with a strong BlackBerry. You know, the company has 44,000 patents. And I thought it might be a fixable thing. It will be a difficult challenge, but if it were going to be easy, why do it?"
    02-12-14 07:56 AM
    02-12-14 08:01 AM
    BB Latest Filings | Canadian Insider

Is this some sort of conversion related to the debt offering? All of his most recent "purchases" around $10. thanks
    02-12-14 08:17 AM

Is this some sort of conversion related to the debt offering? All of his most recent "purchases" around $10. thanks
    Watsa seems content to continue buying up shares hmmm smells like we might that us private lol
    02-12-14 08:41 AM
    02-12-14 08:47 AM
    General information helping to better understand the inter-relationships of Google, Motorola, Samsung, Android and Tizen. Of interest because of BB's increased access to Android apps.

How Google Used Motorola To Smack Down Samsung -- Twice - Forbes
    02-12-14 10:45 AM
    General information helping to better understand the inter-relationships of Google, Motorola, Samsung, Android and Tizen. Of interest because of BB's increased access to Android apps.

How Google Used Motorola To Smack Down Samsung -- Twice - Forbes
    Thanks rarsen!

And perhaps... Microsoft's!
    Microsoft looking to bring Android apps to Windows Phone | CrackBerry.com
    02-12-14 10:47 AM
    I wonder how this news will effect the stock. http://crackberry.com/microsoft-look...-windows-phone

BlackBerry has an advantage here!
    rarsen likes this.
    02-12-14 10:47 AM
    Smoke you beat me to it.
    Corbu, rarsen and Superfly_FR like this.
    02-12-14 10:48 AM
    Smoke you beat me to it.
    No sweat, RN! Thanks!
    Superfly_FR and Ribes Nigrum like this.
    02-12-14 11:26 AM

This is very interesting! In the filling, it clearly stated that the shares were bought through the acquisition in the public market. So the shares are not from the debt conversion. When you add all the shares together, it is around 1 million shares with SP 10 to 10.01.
    With Watsa are buying from the public market at $10, then why shall not we?
    02-12-14 11:57 AM
    I just find it mindboggling that he continues to buy at massive resistance time and time again. Looks like a rookie daytrader chasing a stock. He has had plenty of pullbacks lately to add in the low $9 level. Just curious is all
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    02-12-14 12:44 PM
    I just find it mindboggling that he continues to buy at massive resistance time and time again. Looks like a rookie daytrader chasing a stock. He has had plenty of pullbacks lately to add in the low $9 level. Just curious is all
    I think his plan to have acquire enough share and support so when a offer coming in he has the power to say yes or no and not have to worry about a vote
    theRock1975 likes this.
    02-12-14 12:56 PM
    sorry replied to wrong post.
    02-12-14 01:05 PM
    I was wondering the same thing too.
    Any guesses? Prior deal with BB? Didn't want to look like manipulation/insider trading?
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    02-12-14 01:06 PM
113,256 ... 24172418241924202421 ...