View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Has the BGR story changed? originally it said they were looking at merging into enterprise unit not that they were looking at spin-off.
    02-10-14 01:59 PM
    Has the BGR story changed? originally it said they were looking at merging into enterprise unit not that they were looking at spin-off.
    “The BBM organization remains as a group within BlackBerry and will continue to focus on BlackBerry and BBM strength in messaging and new areas of strength such as mobile marketing, community-building and enterprise messaging,” [BlackBerry] explained in a statement. “John Sims, President, Global Enterprise Solutions, who has extensive experience in mobile messaging, will add the BBM team to his organization.”

BBM Chief Andrew Bocking Departs BlackBerry, Division Will Be Folded Into Global Enterprise Solutions | TechCrunch
    zyben, rarsen, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    02-10-14 02:33 PM
    �The BBM organization remains as a group within BlackBerry and will continue to focus on BlackBerry and BBM strength in messaging and new areas of strength such as mobile marketing, community-building and enterprise messaging,� [BlackBerry] explained in a statement. �John Sims, President, Global Enterprise Solutions, who has extensive experience in mobile messaging, will add the BBM team to his organization.�

BBM Chief Andrew Bocking Departs BlackBerry, Division Will Be Folded Into Global Enterprise Solutions | TechCrunch
    So the way I see it is that John Chen wanted to turn BBM into a mainly Enterprise offering and Andrew Booking resisted and eventually resigned.

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    02-10-14 03:16 PM
    So the way I see it is that John Chen wanted to turn BBM into a mainly Enterprise offering and Andrew Booking resisted and eventually resigned.
    So much for replacing Skype and WhatsApp in the consumer arena.
    02-10-14 03:21 PM
    There is no way they will spin off BBM. It's the Trojan Horse for BlackBerry.

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    02-10-14 03:23 PM
    There is no way they will spin off BBM. It's the Trojan Horse for BlackBerry.
    Do you mean something that looks like a gift or offering to another company but inside has something sinister that will take over the company by surprise?
    02-10-14 03:41 PM
    Do you mean something that looks like a gift or offering to another company but inside has something sinister that will take over the company by surprise?
    I think he just means secret weapon that many don't give much credence to.
    rarsen and bigbadben10 like this.
    02-10-14 04:02 PM
    Meanwhile:

Taiwan’s smartphone maker HTC says is aiming at the cheaper end of the smartphone market with new models, as it forecast another loss in the current quarter and unveiled revenues for January lower than at any time since 2007.

The company is preparing to launch its next flagship phone, almost certainly in March, and has hinted at producing wearable products. It is also rumoured that it will work with Google to produce a new line of Nexus tablets later in the year.

Having seen its efforts with the top-end flagship HTC One and its $12m spending on an advertising blitz with Hollywood actor Robert Downey Jr fail to restore its fortunes, the company chair and co-founder Cher Wang told Reuters: “The problem with us last year was we only concentrated on our flagship. We missed a huge chunk of the mid-tier market.”

HTC also aims to release smartphones costing between $150 and $20
    HTC aims at midrange smartphone market as it warns of losses | Technology | theguardian.com
    02-10-14 04:03 PM
    I think he just means secret weapon that many don't give much credence to.
    Ahh, thanks. You're my ace in the hole.
    02-10-14 04:08 PM
    HTC basically started like Foxconn. Was a device manufacturer for others then became an OEM. I think Foxconn is looking to do the same.
    Corbu, early2bed and anon(4086547) like this.
    02-10-14 04:19 PM
    Ahh, thanks. You're my ace in the hole.
    Gigidy... lol
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-10-14 04:25 PM
    Giggly Gigidy

Z30 - Das Phone.
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-10-14 05:29 PM
    This BBM news is very strange and worrying. I'll be honest: if Chen has decided to cancel the BBMx plans I may have to sell all my shares. That would be a highly stupid move. Any retreat from consumer phones or BBMx is going to be seen as a failure and will put BlackBerry at risk of another brutal wave of toxic rumour and chanting.

I really hope BlackBerry issue a statement clarifying this situation asap. If BlackBerry were to pull out of BBMx, can you imagine what the average person will think of BlackBerry as a company?

I really hope Chen knows what he is doing. Forget all this 'enterprise is the answer' stuff. NO ONE is going to want a phone that doesn't exist outside of enterprise, and NO ONE is going to want to bother with carrying two phones for much longer.

BBMx is the key to regaining positive sentiment towards the brand at this crucial time, and top-drawer phones are the answer to enterprise as well as the consumer market.

I have a hard time believing Chen could be so foolish as to change the course of BBMx, but we all need to watch closely and keep our fingers crossed regarding what Chen does about this. BBM 2.0 was promised ages ago, and still is not here. We need a clear statement that it's coming asap, and that nothing has changed. Hopefully we will get this tomorrow, and we can exhale and look forward to a great year.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 05:30 PM
    Dude. It's one man leaving after 13 years. How are you getting the cancellation of BBMx from the departure of an employee?

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 05:33 PM
    I recall a distant memory that he was re assigned in a different department and brought back specifically for the xBBM project, perhaps it's as simple as that...all the heavy lifting is complete and he's off for a new challenge.

Z30 - Das Phone.
    bungaboy and jxnb like this.
    02-10-14 05:51 PM
    Dude. It's one man leaving after 13 years. How are you getting the cancellation of BBMx from the departure of an employee?

Posted via CB10
    I

Posted via CB10
    I'm not. I was just saying I hope we get clarity very soon. I was just commenting after reading some of the rumours about changing plans, etc. As I said, I don't think Chen or BlackBerry are that stupid. IF they were, I would definitely sell because I without consumer sales, BlackBerry are finished. I'm very, very bullish on BlackBerry, as all my posts show. I just hope, as I said, that Chen doesn't get too caught up on enterprise at the cost of the masses. In my calculations, BBMx is the most powerful tool in repairing brand recognition and perception and thereby boosting consumer sales. This idea of focusing on BlackBerry's roots, etc. is an utter fantasy. People need phones and won't want two. It's impossible to separate enterprise and the consumer market as the last five years make blindingly obvious. It's one thing to say that to Wall Street. It's another to start believing it yourself.

To repeat though, I do not expect that Chen is that daft. I think that we can almost certainly expect a statement of clarification and the continuation of BBMx. Hopefully, it will be even better.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 05:53 PM
    Am I out of line to be angry about not knowing WHY employees Corporate heads like CIO's "leave" BlackBerry?

I am strictly speaking as an investor, and feel that I should be provided a written document as to why these events occur, and what directive is to be reached. I understand that some just simply fulfill their terms, etc. but I still feel that we as investors should be privy to these changes.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me/us a tad?
    02-10-14 06:06 PM
    The article suggests a possible spin-off of BBM, which could be the reason for the bounce:

In a statement today, BlackBerry confirmed �that Andrew Bocking, EVP, BBM has made the decision to leave BlackBerry. We thank him for his years of leadership and contribution.�

Bocking was with BlackBerry since 2000 where he started out as a Project Manager, then held various positions within the company until taking the lead on BBM in June of 2013. His LinkedIn profile still shows he�s with BlackBerry and there�s no reason for his sudden departure, nor where he�s heading.

According to BGR, who first broke the news, BlackBerry is once again considering making BBM into a separate company, something that was rumoured when BlackBerry was for sale last year.

BBM, BlackBerry�s popular messaging platform, is currently available on BlackBerry, iPhone and Android and has seen over 80 million downloads. There are also rumours that BlackBerry will be bringing BBM to the desktop in the near future.

MobileSyrup.com - Mobile News & Reviews for Canadians

Thanks for this.

Can someone explain how this spin-off or separation of existing bundled services would affect current investors?
    Morgan, Lagoon, CJ, SuperFly, et. al??

Thanks.
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 02-10-14 at 06:58 PM.
    02-10-14 06:23 PM
    Am I out of line to be angry about not knowing WHY employees Corporate heads like CIO's "leave" BlackBerry?

I am strictly speaking as an investor, and feel that I should be provided a written document as to why these events occur, and what directive is to be reached. I understand that some just simply fulfill their terms, etc. but I still feel that we as investors should be privy to these changes.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me/us a tad?
    There are a multitude of reasons for departures. To announce why could, in many instances, hurt either or both the parties finding future employment or employees. As a shareholder, you are trusting the management and the board to make the decisions necessary to complete business. If you don't trust them, them don't invest there. Even lower level employees and sometimes same level, often don't know the why's of management departures.
    bungaboy, Corbu, jxnb and 4 others like this.
    02-10-14 06:25 PM
    Relax guys . . .

cjcampbell and Superfly_FR like this.
    02-10-14 06:30 PM
    Thanks for this.

Can someone explain how this would affect current investors?

Thanks.
    In my opinion, and it's really nothing, it shouldn't mean anything to the investors. It would be a wholly owned subsidiary, such as QNX or Paratech, and seeing as it doesn't monetize in its current form, and as Chen stated in a previous interview, it isn't expected to garner any significant standalone income. It would simply be listed as another asset on the books.
    bungaboy and Bacon Munchers like this.
    02-10-14 06:31 PM
    I like the idea of separation of the business lines as stand alone wholly owned divisions. Makes sense on a reporting and accountability stand point. I really don't like all facets dumping into the same pool...reminds me of government and their famous "general revenues" scape goat.

Z30 - Das Phone.
    02-10-14 06:40 PM
    Thanks for this.

Can someone explain how this would affect current investors?

Thanks.
    I am not sure myself. I recall that Morgan's explanation was quite positive. I cannot find the exact post.

However, I found this Seekingalpha article on the BBM spin off: http://seekingalpha.com/article/1702...e-short-exodus

What is your take considering the current financial structure of Blackberry, Morgan?
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    02-10-14 07:01 PM
    There are a multitude of reasons for departures. To announce why could, in many instances, hurt either or both the parties finding future employment or employees. As a shareholder, you are trusting the management and the board to make the decisions necessary to complete business. If you don't trust them, them don't invest there. Even lower level employees and sometimes same level, often don't know the why's of management departures.
    Yeah, if everyone with a single share could have intel dropped onto their lap, it would really make things somewhat a mess. Gomer analysists would run a muck

I suppose that the big-money knows either way. They steer their freighter clear of icebergs, while us in one-man dinghies get the what-for.

Thanks.
    02-10-14 07:17 PM
    ... Out of likes/thanks, so.... Thanks.
    02-10-14 07:19 PM
113,250 ... 24142415241624172418 ...