View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I am told that there is a network outage at TELUS. Lots of phone, tv are affected. Customer service is flooded w calls.

That said, cross-platform messages often have delayed delivery and this is something that BBM team should fix asap. BBM needs to be 100% reliable in terms of instant delivery of messages. Can't have instant messenger that's not instant. I recall WhatsApp also had delayed delivery until a year or so ago but they really stepped up their game in the last year or so.

Posted via CB10
    I've written about thus elsewhere, but we need to keep in mind that BBMx is dependent on the Apple and Android device, in the same way that WhatsApp is. It's the fact that BBM has reliable D and R in the first place that makes people notice when they only have a grey tick to an Apple or Android phone. All you need to do is pay more attention to your WhatsApp messages to see that you can go ages without getting a double tick, and that even that doesn't mean anything.

It would be great if BBM automatically got permissions to keep the app updating the way it does on BlackBerry phones, but please do keep in mind that grey ticks to Apple and Android phones does not mean the messages aren't going through. It would be great if BlackBerry actually clarified this, of course, but, well...we all know our BlackBerry...

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    02-07-14 05:49 PM
    Speaking of BBM. You guys noticed messaging delays with BBM users and x BBM users recently, just the last days or so. Maybe they are messing with the servers for the update??

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    Telus, Koodo wireless outages fixed, companies say - Technology & Science - CBC News
    02-07-14 06:26 PM
    I've written about thus elsewhere, but we need to keep in mind that BBMx is dependent on the Apple and Android device, in the same way that WhatsApp is. It's the fact that BBM has reliable D and R in the first place that makes people notice when they only have a grey tick to an Apple or Android phone. All you need to do is pay more attention to your WhatsApp messages to see that you can go ages without getting a double tick, and that even that doesn't mean anything.

It would be great if BBM automatically got permissions to keep the app updating the way it does on BlackBerry phones, but please do keep in mind that grey ticks to Apple and Android phones does not mean the messages aren't going through. It would be great if BlackBerry actually clarified this, of course, but, well...we all know our BlackBerry...

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the explanation but I know what I am talking about. Delayed delivery is a REAL problem experienced by many users on iOS and Android. This needs to be fixed as soon as possible.

WhatsApp's reliability has improved a lot in last year or so. BBM team needs to do the same. At this time, when doing cross-platform messaging, WhatsApp deliveries seem more prompt. BBM needs to work on improving their deliveries. Of course, it's not a problem all the time. But when it happens it is frustrating and I'd love for BBM to be # 1 here.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag and rarsen like this.
    02-07-14 07:29 PM
    02-07-14 08:26 PM
    This is just ignorance of a proper evaluation for IT needs.

They probably didn't evaluate Android because of the perception of malware and bottom drawer security.

They choose Apple because everyone else is. US ignorance and isolation is heaviest in the world. They don't see outside their border bubble.
    I don't think the US ignorance has anything with those people. These people that Morgan mentioned were Canadians.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 08:55 PM
    "John Chen

Chen looks to be bringing BlackBerry back to its roots with new keyboard phones. Even though the company spearheaded the cell-phone-as-computer movement, it lagged behind its touch-screen-based rivals in recent years.

But Chen, who took over the company in November, decided to put the focus back on the keyboard after the touch-screen phones failed to make a mark. Chens made a smart move in realizing that BlackBerry is neither iPhone nor Android, so its better off improving what it�s already good at rather than chasing the competition."

Link to the article: Top CEOs To Look Out For in 2014 - Page 3
    Komoto and Shanerredflag like this.
    02-07-14 11:28 PM
    Very good article: http://www.fool.ca/2014/02/07/the-st...erry-for-2014/

Not sure how I missed it yesterday.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, rarsen, erbby and 1 others like this.
    02-08-14 05:54 AM
    BlackBerry Planning Octa-core 64-bit Device by 2015 - N4BB

I like this comment:

This is John's Plan to win back the Consumer Market. Go all out with the Enterprise, make a strong presence then claw your way back to the consumer market at a more aggressive way then how they are approaching it today.
    Hope it happens! I would hate for BBRY to leave the Consumer Market. Certainly not before having at least made a decent attemp at capturing/recapturing its share of it. I see so many disgruntled iPhone/Android users who would be ready to give BBRY another chance... If only they knew what it has to offer! We'll see...
    Last edited by Corbu; 02-08-14 at 12:40 PM.
    02-08-14 12:22 PM
    App Developers See More Enterprise Mobile Solutions, Signs of Life for BlackBerry at Apps World North America/ | App Developer Magazine

While Apple, Microsoft and Google did not have displays on the exhibit floor, BlackBerry was back this year and we had the chance to visit with Larry McDonough, Principal Evangelist for BlackBerry, who carries some serious coding credentials (we swapped coding war stories for most of the conversation, another benefit of attending a developer event). We watched him port an Android app in less than three minutes and he reintroduced us to some of the really cool features of the Z30. His message was really simple: BlackBerry is going to continue to build on its enterprise strengths and reminded us that on the global consumer handheld market, BlackBerry continues to have strong acceptance in many countries with 80 million devices in service.
    02-08-14 09:23 PM
    BlackBerry: We Are Right And Wall Street Is Wrong http://seekingalpha.com/article/2006...ng?source=feed

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    02-09-14 06:28 AM
    BlackBerry: We Are Right And Wall Street Is Wrong BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) news: BlackBerry: We Are Right And Wall Street Is Wrong - Seeking Alpha

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    Thanks.

I had to quote the juicy part!

. . . BlackBerry has much more potential to surprise to the upside. Pessimism still rules the pricing mechanism (sell-side analysts overwhelmingly dislike the company) which is why BlackBerry is such an outstanding contrarian investment opportunity. Investors are well-advised not to pay too much attention to short-term oriented Wall Street and instead think for themselves and let the record of contrarian investing speak for itself. In my opinion there is a high probability that BlackBerry will defy the odds and re-emerge as a stronger company. Strong long-term BUY.
    rarsen, morganplus8, Corbu and 2 others like this.
    02-09-14 07:57 AM
    Steve Wozniak had said in the past that BlackBerry should get involved in Android. Now he says a heretical recommendation for his former company: Apple should also get involved. So I see that BB's past planning and present possibilities to render a better Android than Android, added to its security strengths are all additional pluses to the BB offering.

Steve Wozniak: Apple Should Make an Android Phone | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    02-09-14 08:27 AM
    02-09-14 01:46 PM
    Blackberry 10.2.1 update coming with pressure on Windows Phone | Mobile Bloom News

More anecdotal evidence that we seem to be turning the corner on the "company is dead" theme.

Could it be that with 10.2.1 and the future OS iterations, BBRY is finally getting settled in insofar as its new platform is concerned? Some would argue that twelve months from launch is not a bad accomplishment... Now, will BBRY press ahead with the emerging markets (Jakarta) prior to courting the consumer market once again, after having taken a few months to reestablish its credibility with the Enterprise...

If I were JC, I would press ahead with a two-pronged approach: low-end, taking full advantage of Foxconn's capabilities and high-end, with some solid, "exceedingly cool" phones. Forget the middle segment for now.... Let the customers be tempted by your high-class offering... Become the Tesla S of the industry. Something that is definitively cool, something that is more than just another "nice car" and something that people aspire to!

Sorry for my rambling thoughts, guys! Have a nice Sunday!
    02-09-14 02:10 PM
    Blackberry 10.2.1 update coming with pressure on Windows Phone | Mobile Bloom News

More anecdotal evidence that we seem to be turning the corner on the "company is dead" theme.

Could it be that with 10.2.1 and the future OS iterations, BBRY is finally getting settled in insofar as its new platform is concerned? Some would argue that twelve months from launch is not a bad accomplishment... Now, will BBRY press ahead with the emerging markets (Jakarta) prior to courting the consumer market once again, after having taken a few months to reestablish its credibility with the Enterprise...

If I were JC, I would press ahead with a two-pronged approach: low-end, taking full advantage of Foxconn's capabilities and high-end, with some solid, "exceedingly cool" phones. Forget the middle segment for now.... Let the customers be tempted by your high-class offering... Become the Tesla S of the industry. Something that is definitively cool, something that is more than just another "nice car" and something that people aspire to!

Sorry for my rambling thoughts, guys! Have a nice Sunday!
    I would even pay a premium for "the best"!
    Corbu and rarsen like this.
    02-09-14 03:37 PM
    I would even pay a premium for "the best"!
    As would I! I was even about to add "gladly", but that might be pushing it...
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-09-14 03:42 PM

On the consumer side nothing has changed (well to be true, it's got worse) - if JC can find say four or five billion a year for maybe 5 years he might be able to make an impact in the consumer market but otherwise - forget it, stick to enterprise growth and a battle it is possible to win.
    02-09-14 03:58 PM
    Consumer market is a waste of time imo. Why try and play catch up in a market where margins are going to continually come down and competition will only become more difficult?

Sure you can get some spillover buy that is your prosumer market.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 05:34 PM
    Consumer market is a waste of time imo. Why try and play catch up in a market where margins are going to continually come down and competition will only become more difficult?

Sure you can get some spillover buy that is your prosumer market.

Posted via CB10
    Because the consumer market is vastly bigger than the enterprise market.
    You can make 40%+ margins on enterprise, and only 10%+ margins on consumer. But the market sizes are something like 1:100.

So even if you capture only 1% of the consumer market, that will make the equivalent of capturing 25% of the enterprise market.

Disclaimer: All values above are for demonstration purposes. But it is to show that the consumer market is pretty important.
    bungaboy and laketrout73 like this.
    02-09-14 08:37 PM
    Cormark: Here's how BlackBerry can get to 77% gross margins :
    http://www.cantechletter.com/2013/12...gross-margins/

(old but still relevant)

Z30 - Das Phone.
    02-09-14 09:15 PM
    http://www.cantechletter.com/2013/12...gross-margins/

(old but still relevant)

Z30 - Das Phone.
    That's presuming they get out of the hardware business completely. But, as Chen has pointed out himself, if they leave hardware entirely, then how long does their service revenue last?

And if they go software and services only (which is where that 77% margin comes from), then are they really a $5B company? Won't they be a much smaller company?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    02-09-14 09:27 PM
    Cormark: Here's how BlackBerry can get to 77% gross margins - Cantech Letter

(old but still relevant)

Z30 - Das Phone.
    A tad old, but interesting none the less. His target is a little off too
    02-09-14 09:29 PM
    OT - Gold started trading a few hours ago and is showing unusual strength. Tomorrow could be the day as it's been testing that downward trend line all week. With the 20-ema as support, the gap between the two is getting awfully tight.
    02-09-14 09:31 PM
    We have all seen the benchmark sheet leaked couple of days ago with a quadcore processor, but has anyone heard of the Octa-core?
    Here is one of the many articles that I came across to: 64-Bit Octa-Core BlackBerry Device Planned For 2015 [Rumor] | Ubergizmo
    02-09-14 10:38 PM
    Well, we will have to see how things pan out, but I still think that the future of a powerful BlackBerry is in the consumer market. I think that because people are unsure and nervous, and because the media like predicting the weather by looking out the window, there is a lot if talk about BlackBerry needing to jettison all sorts of things in order to stay afloat. I disagree and hope that Chen and his men are with me on this one. All we need is a healthy BlackBerry, and no toxic BlackBerry is dead stuff, and consumers will come back in big numbers. The solution isn't leaving the hardware business, because once that kind of thing is done, you've really cut off a huge source of growth and income. I'm going to be outlandish and bold and continue to say that there is huge potential for the SP to rise to surprising heights due to a surprising increase in consumer phone sales in 2014-15.

I'm seeing it all around me here in the UK. People who try BlackBerry 10 like it a lot. Seven of my friends have bought Z10s and one is getting a Z30 in two weeks, all after seeing and using my Z10.

I think people need to relax and stop listening to the 'chuck-it-overboard' analysts. If BlackBerry get the Jakarta right in regards to quality and price for its market bracket, BlackBerry are going to be back in the consumer biz, and everything after that will sell. I still don't have a huge amount of confidence in the BlackBerry team when it comes to pricing and marketing, but I think they will probably do just enough for the next three phones to get BlackBerry back in the game in a big way.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 02:01 AM
113,256 ... 24122413241424152416 ...