View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I suspect that sap is using BlackBerry as smoke while they work on their actual acquisition target.

Posted via CB10
    notafanboy likes this.
    01-25-14 12:25 PM
    I suspect that sap is using BlackBerry as smoke while they work on their actual acquisition target.

Posted via CB10
    Seeing as he wouldn't say who they were looking at, I can't see how your statement holds. It was just an interesting connection from JC and SAP because of the Sybase deal. Leafs was just pointing it out.
    morganplus8, Corbu, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    01-25-14 02:15 PM
    I'm busy shoveling my drive way lol

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-25-14 03:07 PM
    The tv commercials in the US for SAP show the Z10 and Q10 for about 2 second action shots. Interestingly, they don't have the BlackBerry logo on them.
    01-25-14 11:15 PM
    Does this matter? A bit OT, but anyway...

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/01/prweb11519674.htm

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 07:33 AM

FlexiSPY Cracks the Code on Blackberry Messenger (BBM) for Android

Posted via CB10
    Who knows, it might be more of an Android issue rather than BBM 'security hole'.

Total speculation on my behalf of course
    01-26-14 08:30 AM
    01-26-14 08:48 AM

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/01/prweb11519674.htm

Posted via CB10
    I remember a friend of mine used this a while back on bbos7 device for his employe. One has to know person's phone password to download and install this app. It is basically an app which can be uninstalled at any time by the user. It is no different than backing up your own messages via email. It didnt work for him because in order to retrieve the messages each time he had to sms a special code to the target phone which the subject target was able to see (just like banking where one sends a text message code to retrieve bank balance). The background spy app was using so much battery that target phone was dead in an hour which made his employee to call phone tech support and they made the the owner to reset the phone back to factory settings LoL. In those days all it could retrieve was phone call history. I remember him telling me that he waisted $79.99. Later on he gifted the employee some other kind of phone so he can gain better access. I never followed up with him after.
    I must add that this does effect bbm because blackberry is advertising BBM as secure channel. but it could also be used to explain that why is it important to have blackberries all the way with Bes 10. I wouldnt mind paying blackberry couple dollars a month for bes10 secure channel. I know SF is beta testing something like that and he may be able to explains us his test results.
    01-26-14 09:07 AM
    You guys have certainly seen this:
    First Foxconn built BlackBerry could debut at Mobile World Congress | CrackBerry.com

For reference, I thought one should extract the following paragraphs from the Focus Taiwan piece:

Gou added that BlackBerry is offering an excellent platform with its outstanding security features, the BlackBerry 10 operating system and QNS software system, but lacks a strong manufacturing capability, so Hon Hai is expected to complement the Canadian handset maker.

"We are working with them to design a new device, and we will showcase multiple devices at the trade show in Barcelona in February," he said at the opening of the Hon Hai charity festival in Taipei, referring to the MWC show, without specifying the actual numbers and types of Blackberry devices.

Hon Hai, the world's largest contract electronics maker, announced in late December that its Hong Kong-listed subsidiary, FIH Mobile Ltd., had struck a five-year deal with BlackBerry to develop and manufacture new smartphone models.

In addition to focusing on tapping the rapidly growing smartphone market in Indonesia, the two will make new devices for other emerging markets, including Mexico, Hon Hai said in a statement.

Calling such strategic alliances "a breakthrough in the global technology industry," Hon Hai said the two companies will further cooperate in the future, including in mutual investments and global marketing.
    I like the last paragraph.

Have a warm Sunday!
    01-26-14 09:42 AM
    You guys have certainly seen this:
    First Foxconn built BlackBerry could debut at Mobile World Congress | CrackBerry.com

For reference, I thought one should extract the following paragraphs from the Focus Taiwan piece:

I like the last paragraph.

Have a warm Sunday!
    Now that's big IMO.

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    01-26-14 09:58 AM
    Now that's big IMO.

Yup, the most secure phone with the best OS at an affordable price. A very competitive combination IMO.
    Android gained popularity simply on price alone at first, then specs and number of Apps. If the Jakarta could level the specs and 10.2 OS levels the App numbers, then BB would be a winner because of additional functionality (antenna and sound, security and productivity tools) - there is no reason for anyone not choosing BB.
    One could think that this is just another phone, QNX cloud is just another clouds service, but this could be the beginning of all-things connected. People-people, people-machine, and machine-machine communications connected by QNX cloud. With QNX's RTOS micro kernel on the devices/machines, BES10 on the QNX cloud to receive and distribute, and ECC encryption as iron-clad tunnel for data in transit, they can't ask for a better combination IMO.
    A common strategy in business is if you don't have a good plan, speak like you have a grand plan. But if you have a great plan, keep it a secret so that you don't wake up the giants. I bet Chen probably memorized the "The Art of War".
    sidhuk, Corbu, zyben and 7 others like this.
    01-26-14 11:20 AM
    Who knows, it might be more of an Android issue rather than BBM 'security hole'.

Total speculation on my behalf of course
    You have to get the persons phone and then install it on the phone with out them knowing. Not a hole at all.

Posted via CB10
    jxnb, bungaboy and _dimi_ like this.
    01-26-14 11:47 AM
    More enterprises will be migrating to BlackBerry and bes10. I would think even smart consumers will be going to BlackBerry. I myself am waiting to see how easy to get and How well android apps will run with 10.2.1 before I drop Samsung for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 11:54 AM
    Absolutely an amazing job well done! My thought has always been to trade the TFSA up to a point where one either write calls on stocks you own, or go into a nice safe dividend stock and collect 10% for the rest of your life without having to pay taxes! I just hope the government doesn't discontinue the yearly contributions.

Hi fedakd!!

I was referring to my one RRSP account, this one is full of BBRY and nothing else and it is doing very well. I trade stock in that account because it is a paperless issue and a lot easier to move stock in and out as there are no tax consequences.

For the fun of it, here's my wife's TFSA for today:

Attachment 241444

How's that for an account with $ 25,500 original dollars in it? She is so lucky to have me! LOL

The ECA is her only holding in this account (plus cash of course) as we recently sold her HALO stock. We are about to make purchases next week now that the DOW has fallen some. The ECA is profitable too, we write Call Options against that stock and have made far more than the $ 2,000 offset there. You can do wonderful things with the TFSA account.
    Corbu, rarsen, cjcampbell and 2 others like this.
    01-26-14 12:38 PM
    Alec Saunders explains QNX Cloud:

Next Up � The Internet of Things

by alec on January 26, 2014

Email

Always remember that the future comes one day at a time. Dean Acheson, American Statesman.

Last Thursday, news broke that I had accepted a new role as the Vice President of QNX Cloud, a new business unit at QNX (a BlackBerry subsidiary). As an industry we�re closing in on connecting every phone on the planet � maybe 5 billion in total. What�s next? Connecting up all the machines. QNX Cloud is a business focused on building enabling cloud based technologies for Machine to Machine and Internet of Things businesses. QNX Cloud is infrastructure that enables a wide range of connected devices (ranging from automobiles to power plants, consumer electronics, and more) to be managed, updated, and remotely monitored. Our goal is to facilitate so-called �big data� analysis of data coming from these connected devices, and to provide programming interfaces that allow the creation of sophisticated new applications that deliver real business benefit to our customers.

John Chen, writing on Inside BlackBerry, described this move as a �return to his roots�, but I prefer to think of it as a continuation of a path that I have been walking on for most of the past 20 years of my career. A future that, for twenty years, has been coming �one day at a time�. QNX Cloud is a developer product, first and foremost. It�s targeted at networked and embedded devices. To be successful, we�ll need to build an ecosystem, channels to market, and recruit strategic partners. And because it�s a new initiative, it has many characteristics of a start up.

Wish us luck.

Next Up � The Internet of Things
    sidhuk, Corbu, Mr BBRY and 11 others like this.
    01-26-14 12:50 PM
    BBM not working for me. AT&T in Boston...****
    01-26-14 08:07 PM
    Some more tidbits of information regarding Hon Hai/Foxconn and BlackBerry:
    Hon Hai touts BlackBerry ties, may jointly invest in Indonesia - The China Post

TAIPEI, Taiwan -- Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. will continue to cooperate with BlackBerry Ltd., and the two companies may team up to invest in Indonesia, the company's chairman Terry Gou said.

Hon Hai held a charity carnival at National Taiwan University's stadium yesterday, with former minister of economic affairs Shih Yen-shiang and representatives from Germany and Indonesia attending.

Gou said that Hon Hai is considering making investments in the U.S., Germany and Indonesia this year, adding that Hon Hai is planning to cooperate with automotive manufacturers from Germany.

Hon Hai will continue to work with BlackBerry Ltd. BlackBerry's new devices, assembled by Hon Hai's mobile unit, will debut at the Feb. 24-27 Mobile World Congress tech fair in Spain. Gou said that BlackBerry's expertise lies not only in smartphones, but other burgeoning areas as well.

The U.S. will remain the largest market in the next ten years, Gou said, adding that making investments in the U.S. is the right strategic direction for the company, adding that many of Hon Hai's partners, including BlackBerry, hope it will establish new factories in the U.S., and Hon Hai and BlackBerry may team up to make investments in Indonesia.
    Pure speculation on my part - Regarding the automotove reference, remember chairman Gou was quoted by Focus Taiwan as saying:
    Gou added that BlackBerry is offering an excellent platform with its outstanding security features, the BlackBerry 10 operating system and QNS software system, but lacks a strong manufacturing capability, so Hon Hai is expected to complement the Canadian handset maker.
    I hope big things come out of this BlackBerry/Foxconn relationship.

In any event, plasmid_boy said it best:
    But if you have a great plan, keep it a secret so that you don't wake up the giants. I bet Chen probably memorized the "The Art of War".
    Let's hope John Chen is working on a few surprises (aside from a "cool" phone). Seems to me, that's his style.
    Last edited by Corbu; 01-26-14 at 08:46 PM.
    01-26-14 08:32 PM
    BBM not working for me. AT&T in Boston...****
    Seems like there's an outage. Me neither. Not good.

First outage for BBMx I believe.
    01-26-14 09:19 PM
    Mine blackberry to blackberry working fine.
    I can receive messages from iPhone bbm in my bb10. Bb10 messages to iPhone not being delivered. I am in Canada.

LoL.
    No good. BlackBerry is dead

No one said (no good) when Gmail was down. I wonder why.
    01-26-14 09:27 PM
    Xbbm working normal now. Relax it BlackBerry won't be dead tomorrow.
    LoL.
    Good night gang.

Corbu and bungaboy like this.
    01-26-14 11:06 PM
    Monday is a buy?

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 03:46 AM
    Mine blackberry to blackberry working fine.
    I can receive messages from iPhone bbm in my bb10. Bb10 messages to iPhone not being delivered. I am in Canada.

LoL.
    No good. BlackBerry is dead

No one said (no good) when Gmail was down. I wonder why.
    We're comparing apples and oranges with Gmail and BBM.

I don't think anyone said BB was dead, right?

My comment was simply inferring that outages can't happen if you want to sustain a long term user base in a crowded messaging market.

BB is also trying to rebuild its reputation as a messaging brand and can't show new users that "look, we're not reliable". If you don't believe that, then look at people's comments on social media.
    bergeron37, sidhuk, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    01-27-14 05:28 AM
    Morning and look what's coming around the corner:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-1390830072197_552831.jpeg

Zee Z30 pozted thiz
    Corbu, rarsen, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    01-27-14 07:42 AM
    Is this a 'Pentagon buys x number of BlackBerry's' style news item all over again? The ambiguity is amazing.

Dow Jones reports:

Terry Gou - chairman of Hon Hai Precision Industry Co, also known as Foxconn Technology Group - over the weekend reportedly said at an annual gathering organized by the Taiwanese contract manufacturer that the company is developing several smartphones for Canada-based Blackberry (BB.TO, BBRY), according to headlines on Dow Jones.
    Whereas Crackberry reports:

Gou never mentioned device specifics but as we already know from comments made by BlackBerry CEO, John Chen, that device will be the BlackBerryJakarta. Given that time frame, showing it off during MWC makes sense but Gou noted multiple devices. Maybe he just meant multiple devices built by Foxconn, not necessarily Foxconn built BlackBerry devices.
    dusdal, Corbu, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    01-27-14 08:28 AM
    Found some form of clarification of the Foxconn reference to the automotive market plus some other stuff in here:
    Foxconn Weighs Plan for U.S. Plant - WSJ.com

TAIPEI— Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., which assembles gadgets for Apple Inc. and other global technology firms, is evaluating a plan to build an advanced display manufacturing plant in the U.S., its chairman said.

Terry Gou, speaking to reporters at the company's 40th anniversary gathering on Sunday, said Hon Hai, also known by the trade name Foxconn, plans to relocate capital-intensive and high-tech manufacturing to the U.S., its largest market.

"Automation, software and technology innovation will be our key focus in the U.S. in the coming few years," Mr. Gou said.

Taiwan-based Hon Hai, the major assembler of Apple's iPhones and iPads, has been seeking new avenues of growth as revenue from contract manufacturing slows.

The company has been making a push into software development and telecom services and has also branched out into the retail market by selling its own-brand mobile accessories.

In November, the company said it might invest $40 million in manufacturing and research facilities in Pennsylvania.

Mr. Gou said Sunday Hon Hai is studying the feasibility of building an advanced 10th-generation panel manufacturing plant in the U.S. Such facilities can churn out liquid display screens larger than 60 inches. He said it is currently difficult to ship large TV screens to the U.S. from Asia.

In 2012, Mr. Gou agreed to acquire a 50% stake in Sharp Corp.'s advanced panel-making plant in Sakai, Japan.

"We will continue to invest in displays as it is an important component for all products including smartphones, tablets and TVs," said Mr. Gou.

Mr. Gou also said his company, which is already expanding into medical, automotive and environmentally friendly products, is planning "big projects" with BMW AG and Audi AG, but declined to elaborate.

He said the company's unit already makes displays for U.S. electric car maker Tesla Motor Inc.

Hon Hai, which employs more than a million workers in China, has been facing the challenge of rising labor costs and workplace disputes in the country.

To diversify its manufacturing base, the company plans to make Indonesia a key production site in the coming years, said Mr. Gou.

Hon Hai has currently has production sites in more than 10 countries, including China, Vietnam, Turkey, Brazil, Mexico and Hungary.

Mr. Gou also reiterated that the company aims for 15% revenue growth this year.

Hon Hai's 2013 revenue rose 1.3% to 3.95 trillion new Taiwanese dollars ($131 billion), below its target of 15%.

Mr. Gou said the company aims to more than double its annual revenue to 10 trillion New Taiwan dollars over the next decade, driven by e-commerce, high-speed fourth generation mobile services, cloud computing and other high-tech innovation.
    01-27-14 08:35 AM
113,256 ... 23872388238923902391 ...