View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Or it shows that they are bleeding cash at a rate where they are forced to sell real estate then lease it back. I don't love this news but I could be wrong. The stock is responding positively after hours.

Posted via CB10
    jerrych likes this.
    01-21-14 04:31 PM
    Or it shows that they are bleeding cash at a rate where they are forced to sell real estate then lease it back. I don't love this news but I could be wrong. The stock is responding positively after hours.

Posted via CB10
    Don't think so my friend.

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    01-21-14 04:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Nah, real estate prices are high so they will get top dollar, cheaper to rent, and then can promote "remote workers" further eliminating rental space

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 04:49 PM
    "The Wall Street Journal is now reporting that the Real Estate, on the books at $ 1.4 Billion, and likely worth more, will end up costing BlackBerry money after commissions and legal fees!"

It further claims that the property is tainted with the prior ownership of the BlackBerry name, which has been soundly destroyed by Apple and Google. Only non cell phone users will be interested in making any purchases. They rate the stock a "hurry up and sell".

We would have heard this kind of nonsense back in the Fall. Today, the stock goes up!

We had an awesome day, we need to prepare for tomorrow which is the first real chance to blow past $ 10.00/shr and declare the funk over for BlackBerry.
    01-21-14 04:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    Any time you can get un-needed and unwanted real estate off the books and pocket some change, its a good thing. Cash in the pocket is cash in the pocket and the market is already aware that they have cut significant employees. This can only be seen as a good thing IMO
    01-21-14 05:13 PM
    I think Chen is up to something big here. They have plenty of cash for day to day operation for a long time. What exactly are they needing this money for?? Hmmmm

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 05:24 PM
    I think Chen is up to something big here. They have plenty of cash for day to day operation for a long time. What exactly are they needing this money for?? Hmmmm

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't read too far into this. They absolutely do not need those extra buildings and if and when they do again, it will be easy to re-expand here in KW. Remember, if you have real estate you are not using, it is costing you money. The worry was they would be stuck with these properties that would bleed money from them.

This is prudent business, and the fact they were able to get return on this real estate is a huge plus here
    01-21-14 05:27 PM
    OK...Totally OT

But I had to share....this made me laugh

01-21-14 05:28 PM
    Anyone know where these other buildings are located and what activities did they support? R&D, sales, manufacturing ???

Could give insight into future plans....

Flicked out via Zed10
    01-21-14 05:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    It is not uncommon to lease space. Bbry can lay off some maintenence people and the books are easier to keep.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 06:16 PM
    The closing line is a beaut.

http://www.mobilitytechzone.com/topi...ng-what-we.htm

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 06:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    When you sell all your assets and downsize to the core that's like putting on makeup before a date.

Perhaps they're preparing it for a takeover by another company. Possibly SAP?
    After all, SAP took over Sybase which was headed by Chen. Now that Chen is at BlackBerry, SAP is going to takeover BlackBerry as well.
    They have all former Execs, they might as well. lol

...just joking...Ha ha. Just random and wild speculation. hahaha

Or Am I?

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 06:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    The reason that BBRY is selling the real estate is that the company has cut its work force by half so lot office building has been freed up.
    bungaboy, rarsen and sidhuk like this.
    01-21-14 06:59 PM
    When you sell all your assets and downsize to the core that's like putting on makeup before a date.

Perhaps they're preparing it for a takeover by another company. Possibly SAP?

Posted via CB10
    It's not at all like putting makeup on for a date.

It's more like eating a healthy number of calories to lose weight so that you don't need to try to trick your date by putting on too much makeup.

They're continuing to right-size all resources as a result of their focus on the less capital intensive software and enterprise business.

Van City Coffee ; WhitecapsFC ; PreMed Community ; Bristol Rovers Football Club
    01-21-14 07:10 PM
    SAP is german right? might run into same issue about foreign takeover
    01-21-14 08:01 PM
    Good move on Blackberry's part. I imagine the majority of this real estate is Class A office and R&D property which will fetch a premium. CBRE is the largest brokerage firm out there too, they will market this better than anyone.

I don't know a whole lot about the Waterloo real estate market but this is still a good move as it will shed some overhead.
    01-21-14 08:05 PM
    Good move on Blackberry's part. I imagine the majority of this real estate is Class A office and R&D property which will fetch a premium. CBRE is the largest brokerage firm out there too, they will market this better than anyone.

I don't know a whole lot about the Waterloo real estate market but this is still a good move as it will shed some overhead.
    When I saw CBRE is doing the deal I know they will get top dollar . They do their homework .Another very smart move by Chen. What was TH doing? Then again how can I complain ? If it wasn't for TH I could not buy so cheap

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 08:29 PM
    Catherine Murray on bnn .....Oh yes and an interview with Andrew Left. Hee hee. http://watch.bnn.ca/market-sense/mar...4/#clip1064912
    rarsen, Corbu, morganplus8 and 4 others like this.
    01-21-14 08:56 PM
    Catherine Murray on bnn .....Oh yes and an interview with Andrew Left. Hee hee. http://watch.bnn.ca/market-sense/mar...4/#clip1064912
    There she goes again...winking at me, please stop.

Zee Z30 pozted thiz
    Corbu, rarsen, cjcampbell and 4 others like this.
    01-21-14 09:07 PM
    I shouldn't be posting this but I can't resist:
    Dow Slips As IBM Falls After Hours; BlackBerry Jumps (^DJI, BBRY, IBM)

Shares gained another 1.6% after markets closed amid speculation that the company will move its headquarters, though it said in the release that it wouldn't. Despite the after-hours gain, the decision seems to be reflective of a struggling company's desperation to sustain cash flow, as BlackBerry has seen massive operating losses recently. For long-term investors, the sale is not a positive sign.
    Signed by:
    Jeremy Bowman
    Fool since 2011.
    I rest my case.
    01-21-14 09:26 PM
    This is a bit easy but portrays the growing mood :

Zee Z30 pozted thiz
    01-21-14 09:53 PM
    I apologize if this was already posted, I don't recall seeing it:
    https://secure.globeadvisor.com/serv...ETWISEERMANATL

Reading this, I had promised myself I would start trading options in 2014 but quite frankly, I have never done so and don't know where to start. Any advice from you grizzled veterans out there? Purchasing BBRY March Call options perhaps? Am I out of my mind? Thank you in advance!
    bungaboy, rarsen and sidhuk like this.
    01-21-14 10:01 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00000189.jpg

I'm a fairly regular at the Barclay Center in Brooklyn for the Nets games. I just thought I would post this. They continue to have some ads there. Bbry handsets are set out in a few places. They have had a couple of BBM Social Media nights. Folks have been randomly given an Z30. I'm not sure if these ads are effective. But they are out there. And I think the Barclay Center in Brooklyn is a pretty cool place to do your advertising. But I'm hardly objective in this regards.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 10:31 PM
    I apologize if this was already posted, I don't recall seeing it:
    https://secure.globeadvisor.com/serv...ETWISEERMANATL

Reading this, I had promised myself I would start trading options in 2014 but quite frankly, I have never done so and don't know where to start. Any advice from you grizzled veterans out there? Purchasing BBRY March Call options perhaps? Am I out of my mind? Thank you in advance!
    I don't have any experience in this field. But I will say that one of the worst parts of this thread is fearing that folks will read this and get inover their heads. Options are very tough. Not only do you have to get the direction of the stock price right, but you have to get the timing right. And generally we are talking short term timing. It is tough to get both right. And you generally need to get both parts right in a big way in order to make any money.

Buying shares is easier. My investment in BBRY hasn't worked out. But the stock dropped significantly and then recovered a bunch. If I had options I probably would have picked dates last year. That would have been a disaster. Instead I bought stock, took a hit, didn't sell, recovered a bunch. Now I'm looking at a loss but nothing terrible. Also I feel good about making gains from here. But if I had bought three month options at some point last summer, that investment would be gone.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 10:50 PM
    Well said^^^^.

Zee Z30 pozted thiz
    bungaboy, Corbu, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    01-21-14 10:58 PM
113,256 ... 23712372237323742375 ...