View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I wonder if it also compress your data like the old legacy devices? I wonder if it uses vpn?
    Cause if it does and uses USA ip addresses then I am a customer for this. I can listen to Pandora and other USA only services. I know it worked for me on the 9900.

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    Hi sidhuk !
    I'm in the VERY early stages here, so please take it with precaution.
    Yes you can set a "work VPN", but you can too on your device. I'm not sure what you expect from that.
    Maybe you were talking about a Proxy ? It is here too, but this can also be set on your own device and still requires that you point to an existing proxy: BES is not a proxy.

(I won't go further about this in this thread, will be O.T; there's already a lot of infos here : BES 10 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com and I'll probably add a thread very soon too )
    morganplus8, jxnb, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    01-17-14 02:02 AM
    . . . I have a personal dilemma. I have to get a new contract for a new company phone, do I go Q10 coz I love the keyboard just setup my 9900 on the other co.teact, go z30 because I already have 9900. Or should I go sim only and hold out for Q30/Z50?

Everyone seems blown away by the Z30.

Advice...

Posted via CB10
    I think you have answered your own question.

The Z30 is a killer mobile computing device from my experience and others in this thread.

Life is short . . . go for it!
    sidhuk and Superfly_FR like this.
    01-17-14 05:30 AM
    Short companies if you want to, but in a very real sense, know that you are responsible for real people losing real jobs in the real world. Hey, it's just not my thing.

I'm sure a load of people will disagree with my view, but I just don't think investing requires me to stop caring about human beings.

Posted via CB10
    That's not what shorting does

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]

Well, you got the "load of people will disagree with my view" comment right.

"Sorry but most invest to make money! Investing is not a "kumbaya" moment for me. Companies that screw up loose support and die.
    anon(4086547) and CDM76 like this.
    01-17-14 05:33 AM
    I like the cut of this writers jib...nothing new but Loving his final thought:
    Apparently Everyone Wishes Their iPhone Was Actually Just a BlackBerry - Techvibes.com

Zee Z30 posted thiz
    Thanks.

I just had to post the "juicy" parts.

But all of this aside, let's just try to comprehend the real story here: why do all these iPhone users suddenly want a BlackBerry, the so-called antiquated device with an old-school full physical keyboard that Apple addicts have been mocking for half a decade? Perhaps the smartphone keyboard has become like vinyl�so old it's cool again? Or have touchscreen users finally started relenting and begun to accept that touch keyboards just can't compete with the real deal?
    01-17-14 05:42 AM

Posted via CB10

"Sorry but most invest to make money! Investing is not a "kumbaya" moment for me. Companies that screw up loose support and die.[/QUOTE]

Again, you clearly separate moral or ethical considerations from your activities in the market. You have a right to do that by law, but that that's not the same as being moral. I personally don't think shorting belongs in an ideally ethical market. Shorting is not investment.

I am a proud capitalist, but I refuse to eject my values in the name of a fast buck. Again, that is just my position. In the case of BlackBerry, shorting in mass numbers has been devastating, and only a fool would argue that it hasn't damaged the actual company, sales, and real people who have lost jobs.

As for your mantra that investment is just about making money - no kimbaya, etc., that is the same argument that was made by slave traders, and the reckless members of the East India Company who Adam Smith so strongly opposed.

Let me give you an example of what your attitude has done in the past. You can find plenty of examples in our day of the costs in human suffering of a pathological view of the markets. In India, in the days of the East India Company, hundreds of thousands of Indians were left to starve to death while the Company held tonnes and tonnes of rice in its warehouses, and wouldn't sell it to the native people who had provided it, because the rice would sell at a higher price in Europe. At the same time, there were plenty of people who held the same view as you for whom such details were not worth considering.

To add a caveat, I could perhaps see a difference in degree in shorting a company like Twitter which is absurdly overpriced, but I still wouldn't do it. It's too difficult to make those distinctions. I would rather stick to investing as opposed to anti-investing.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, rarsen, sidhuk and 4 others like this.
    01-17-14 06:12 AM
    Apparently Everyone Wishes Their iPhone Was Actually Just a BlackBerry
    Posted by Knowlton Thomas on Jan 15, 2014

Typo Products is experiencing strong early success.

The physical keyboard, which attaches to an iPhone, debuted at last week’s International Consumer Electronics Show and initial pre-order inventory has sold out.

But there's a very big elephant in the room: to say that the design of Typo, in part created by television personality Ryan Seacrest, copies the design of BlackBerry's iconic and world famous keyboard, is an understatement—it's a blatant, blatant copy.

BlackBerry knows this and is, of course, suing. Documents filed in a California court note that BlackBerry believes Typo is trying to capitalize on the Canadian company's "commercial recognition and goodwill," and that the similar product is "likely to continue to cause confusion [and] falsely suggest a connection between Typo, its products, and its commercial activities with BlackBerry."

While none of BlackBerry's allegations have yet been proven in court, a victory would demolish Typo: BlackBerry is seeking damages, all of Typo's products, and a stop to all future sales of the keyboard case.

“We are flattered by the desire to graft our keyboard onto other smartphones, but we will not tolerate such activity without fair compensation for using our intellectual property and our technological innovations,” Blackberry chief legal officer Steve Zipperstein said in a release recently.

This comes at a time, too, when BlackBerry is re-emphasizing physical keyboards in its product lineup, an announcement that CEO John Chen made at—where else?—CES.

But all of this aside, let's just try to comprehend the real story here: why do all these iPhone users suddenly want a BlackBerry, the so-called antiquated device with an old-school full physical keyboard that Apple addicts have been mocking for half a decade? Perhaps the smartphone keyboard has become like vinyl—so old it's cool again? Or have touchscreen users finally started relenting and begun to accept that touch keyboards just can't compete with the real deal?

Typo is slated to be begin shipping by the end of February.

Apparently Everyone Wishes Their iPhone Was Actually Just a BlackBerry - Techvibes.com
    01-17-14 06:48 AM
    I won't post here as it's an exclusive from another site but you can see it
    @Ilovdeadcompany on Twitter

Zee Z30 posted thiz
    01-17-14 07:29 AM
    I personally can live with z30 for next couple of years. I can use/activate 3 different language keyboards which also expands the prediction criteria and it is a pleasures to type on this phone. Once again my messages and emails looking like normal messages not short texted.
    I am not sure what else they can add to this phone to make it better? May be better screen and increase battery life? I already like the existing screen and battery life.
    The rest are software changes/improvements which are being done almost monthly bases.
    I am satisfy with the current CPU and GPU. The sound quality is the best and signal reception is better than any other phone I have used.
    My Ipad usage have gone down by lots. Only if I use the phone too much and it needs charging.
    So these are my two cents.

Posted using Z30. Best phone in the world.
    Agree with you completely, and I just put the latest leak on it..( a first for me) and am finding out many features that I like slowly, one of which is the ability to select what you want displayed on the quick settings screen.

Got Netflix to work as well, so things are looking up!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20140117_090349.png
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20140117_090551.png

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 08:06 AM
    Agree with you completely, and I just put the latest leak on it..( a first for me) and am finding out many features that I like slowly, one of which is the ability to select what you want displayed on the quick settings screen.

Got Netflix to work as well, so things are looking up!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140117_090349.png 
Views:	926 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	239328

Name:	IMG_20140117_090551.png 
Views:	652 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	239329

Posted via CB10
    The only physical improvement i could think of is a magnetic back cover with wireless charger. I have been using the picture password and with some practice and the right brightness background picture, works like thumb scanner without giving away finger prints.
    rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    01-17-14 08:23 AM
    Hey Morgan
    No I was talking about v.tng (transgaming), have you taken a look at this one ? If you get a chance I'd like to know what your thoughts were on it.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 08:24 AM
    I won't post here as it's an exclusive from another site but you can see it
    @Ilovdeadcompany on Twitter

Zee Z30 posted thiz
    Not an exclusive, the article was posted in Nov 2013. BlackBerry Blend and Fuse hasn't come to life just yet but it's been known for quite some time.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR and bungaboy like this.
    01-17-14 08:29 AM

Again, you clearly separate moral or ethical considerations from your activities in the market. You have a right to do that by law, but that that's not the same as being moral. I personally don't think shorting belongs in an ideally ethical market. Shorting is not investment.

I am a proud capitalist, but I refuse to eject my values in the name of a fast buck. Again, that is just my position. In the case of BlackBerry, shorting in mass numbers has been devastating, and only a fool would argue that it hasn't damaged the actual company, sales, and real people who have lost jobs.

As for your mantra that investment is just about making money - no kimbaya, etc., that is the same argument that was made by slave traders, and the reckless members of the East India Company who Adam Smith so strongly opposed.

Let me give you an example of what your attitude has done in the past. You can find plenty of examples in our day of the costs in human suffering of a pathological view of the markets. In India, in the days of the East India Company, hundreds of thousands of Indians were left to starve to death while the Company held tonnes and tonnes of rice in its warehouses, and wouldn't sell it to the native people who had provided it, because the rice would sell at a higher price in Europe. At the same time, there were plenty of people who held the same view as you for whom such details were not worth considering.

To add a caveat, I could perhaps see a difference in degree in shorting a company like Twitter which is absurdly overpriced, but I still wouldn't do it. It's too difficult to make those distinctions. I would rather stick to investing as opposed to anti-investing.

Posted via CB10
    I suppose this means you will not invest in BBRY since they now have a deal with Foxconn the Chinese company where workers are said to be treated like slaves and commit suicide due to working conditions. So bad in fact that the factories all have nets around the perimeter to catch the jumpers?

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/02/ff_joelinchina/

I think the moral argument is a red herring in these cases. I don't short and conduct all of my personal transactions to the highest standards, but I will argue that without shorts and pressure it put on PW's investment that BBRY had at least a 50/50 chance of dying and ALL employees losing their jobs. TH and the Board was leading them down the path to ruination and if left alone, I bet they would have been successful doing so. When the stock got punished, PW had to act and now we see the possibility of a turn around here. I guess I am a "fool" for thinking this way.

Lastly, why the heck is OK to short and punish Twitter employees but not BBRY? You really can't have it both ways can you? It's a really slippery slope with moral arguments.

JHMO.......
    Last edited by OMGitworks; 01-17-14 at 08:50 AM. Reason: added old link
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    01-17-14 08:46 AM

Name:	IMG_20140117_090349.png 
Views:	926 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	239328
    Robert, you were asking for French speakers ?
    Didn't noticed that before JF
    Bien le bonjour de Paris !
    rarsen likes this.
    01-17-14 08:48 AM
    [self-punishment zone]
    I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa - I should not mock my friends at MoNa -
    [/ that said ...]
    IDIOTS on Vimeo

Sorry
    01-17-14 08:52 AM
    Hey Morgan
    No I was talking about v.tng (transgaming), have you taken a look at this one ? If you get a chance I'd like to know what your thoughts were on it.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, it's a micro penny stock with zero financial information on it with a poor looking chart. I like the Samsung deal but you are basically buying a Call Option on this one. They could grow the company from here as that Samsung deal looks like a great way to raise capital. I use to buy some plays like this one but it is not something I would consider today. Sorry I can't help you on this one, no information to sway me one way of the other. I can say that the difference between this stock and others that have sound fundamentals is the price, sometimes cheap pricing isn't worth the risk ..... but that Samsung deal makes it interesting for others here. GL.
    sidhuk likes this.
    01-17-14 08:58 AM
    [self-punishment zone]
    I should not mock my friends at MoNa
    [/ that said ...]
    IDIOTS on Vimeo

Sorry
    Thats what you mean by friday? LoL
    That video have some of our "respected" bear's avatar too.
    Thanks SF
    Superfly_FR and bungaboy like this.
    01-17-14 08:58 AM
    Hey Morgan

Posted via CB10
    LoL, i gave away 1000 bucks in to this the other day thinking i am buying cheap vegas ticket. Lets see what happens.
    01-17-14 09:02 AM
    I suppose this means you will not invest in BBRY since they now have a deal with Foxconn the Chinese company where workers are said to be treated like slaves and commit suicide due to working conditions. So bad in fact that the factories all have nets around the perimeter to catch the jumpers?

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/02/ff_joelinchina/

I think the moral argument is a red herring in these cases. I don't short and conduct all of my personal transactions to the highest standards, but I will argue that without shorts and pressure it put on PW's investment that BBRY had at least a 50/50 chance of dying and ALL employees losing their jobs. TH and the Board was leading them down the path to ruination and if left alone, I bet they would have been successful doing so. When the stock got punished, PW had to act and now we see the possibility of a turn around here. I guess I am a "fool" for thinking this way.

Lastly, why the heck is OK to short and punish Twitter employees but not BBRY? You really can't have it both ways can you? It's a really slippery slope with moral arguments.

JHMO.......
    For the record, I said I WOULDN'T short Twitter. I said that I don't agree with shorting to begin with. What I was saying is that there is a difference in degree of immorality between shorting a struggling company like BlackBerry and company like Twitter. Again, I wouldn't short any company, and I also said in different words that drawing that moral line is indeed difficult (a slippery slope perhaps).

As for Foxconn, I did post a comment about that but you probably missed it. I don't like that deal at all, for the very reasons you mentioned. I am not a hypocrite, so I didn't hide the fact that I didn't sell my shares after finding out about the deal, but I don't like it at all. Obviously, I like the strategy, but not the human rights record of Foxconn, and I wish that BlackBerry were not associated with them. I wish they had the exact deal with a Foxconn that didn't have that blood on their hands. It's an unfortunate fact. I'm not sure how I will handle opening BlackBerry stock over the long term if Foxconn continues to be such an awful company to be honest. As I said, I don't like it at all.

Posted via CB10
    OMGitworks likes this.
    01-17-14 09:09 AM
    About shorting.
    I'm not sure it is a question of morality here.
    Just that it hurts more than it can offer.
    No one would suffer if it wasn't permitted and it wouldn't change the face of WS.
    A few (artificial) $KBillions less in the mass ... no biggie.

About the Foxconn deal : it's up to BlackBerry to set their standards. apple did afterwards, somehow.
    I hope BB won't have to go back at it and set them right away at an acceptable level.
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-17-14 09:15 AM

"Sorry but most invest to make money! Investing is not a "kumbaya" moment for me. Companies that screw up loose support and die.
    Gregg, I have heard you made this kind of comments a few times (stocks is a tool to make money, don't let emotions involved, or to that effect) and I now feel that I need to contribute my 2 cents.

I would argue that virtually everything that we do is a tool to make money.
    I teach students to make money. Now imagine if I ONLY see them as a tool.
    Doctors treat patients to make money. Now imagine if they ONLY see their patients as a tool.
    You work to make money. Now imagine that is all there is to you job, would you enjoy it or even do well at it.

I have never and probably will never accept a student into my lab if they don't love what they are going to do. If there is no passion, they won't do well.
    I love my job because I am passionate about the things that we do. I am good at what I do ONLY because I am passionate about it. Investing is the same for me.
    Besides by day job, I own real estates because I love these things (I renovate, repair, and build things with my own hands). I have tenants and I am emotionally invested in them. I let single moms get away with thousands in rent sometimes. I give senior citizens discounts if they need. Completely against the ethics of pure money/business practice. But you know what, in spite of that, my passion is what keeps me in the business and it is the only thing (not money) that keeps my business, my job, and my research enterprise going.

If you want to be an assh0le, you can always find an excuse to behave like one. But please don't make it sound like it is an honorable or correct way to do things (although I have no problems with those that do).

Cheers!
    morganplus8, zyben, sidhuk and 7 others like this.
    01-17-14 09:18 AM
    Sorry, it's a micro penny stock with zero financial information on it with a poor looking chart. I like the Samsung deal but you are basically buying a Call Option on this one. They could grow the company from here as that Samsung deal looks like a great way to raise capital. I use to buy some plays like this one but it is not something I would consider today. Sorry I can't help you on this one, no information to sway me one way of the other. I can say that the difference between this stock and others that have sound fundamentals is the price, sometimes cheap pricing isn't worth the risk ..... but that Samsung deal makes it interesting for others here. GL.
    Thanks Morgan

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 09:20 AM
    Thats what you mean by friday? LoL
    That video have some of our "respected" bear's avatar too.
    Thanks SF
    Is that "fry day" ? lol
    sidhuk, rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    01-17-14 09:24 AM
    Gregg, I have heard you made this kind of comments a few times (stocks is a tool to make money, don't let emotions involved, or to that effect) and I now feel that I need to contribute my 2 cents.

I would argue that virtually everything that we do is a tool to make money.
    I teach students to make money. Now imagine if I ONLY see them as a tool.
    Doctors treat patients to make money. Now imagine if they ONLY see their patients as a tool.
    You work to make money. Now imagine that is all there is to you job, would you enjoy it or even do well at it.

I have never and probably will never accept a student into my lab if they don't love what they are going to do. If there is no passion, they won't do well.
    I love my job because I am passionate about the things that we do. I am good at what I do ONLY because I am passionate about it. Investing is the same for me.
    Besides by day job, I own real estates because I love these things (I renovate, repair, and build things with my own hands). I have tenants and I am emotionally invested in them. I let single moms get away with thousands in rent sometimes. I give senior citizens discounts if they need. Completely against the ethics of pure money/business practice. But you know what, in spite of that, my passion is what keeps me in the business and it is the only thing (not money) that keeps my business, my job, and my research enterprise going.

If you want to be an assh0le, you can always find an excuse to behave like one. But please don't make it sound like it is an honorable or correct way to do things (although I have no problems with those that do).

Cheers!
    Very well said Doc.
    I can assure you that i and many others in this forum have lots in common with you. Been there done that. Although at times i kick my self but nature never changes. We are driven by our nature. Right or wrong, i dont know.
    01-17-14 09:35 AM
    Added a bit to my RRSP BB holding to bring the average down to $12. already broke even on my TFSA portion which is great start to 2014 . now i'm not sure what to do with HALO and PSDV, guess i'll just set stop losses and hold and see where they go
    01-17-14 09:37 AM
    Ok guys, I think we had all the returns about shorting or not and further debate may lead into unwanted troubles, like going personal.
    Let's move back on topic
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    uberCheers,
    SF

edit: crap I forgot my capture lol
    La Emperor, bungaboy and jxnb like this.
    01-17-14 09:39 AM
113,256 ... 23542355235623572358 ...