View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Plus does anyone still think the NSA can't get 99% of what passes over your BB device? What they don't steal they can get valid search warrants for and no publically traded company will refuse to honor a Federal US warrant or subpeona. I think BB security is great for many reasons, but protection from the NSA ain't one of them.
    Till someone comes out with proof that BB is compromised I would say they are more secure than Droid/Apple. Second yes a warrant is LEGAL request, what the NSA and other US 3-acronym company do without the backing of the Law ie Snowden is what ppl should be worriers about.

Not saying that everyone is contemplating treason/murder/crime. But let's say a Senator is having and affair, the NSA in their broad cellphone capture the Snowden told us that happened, found this out. Now they have gotten no warrant to obtain this. The Senator is going to vote on a bill.,, well now the NSA has dirt on him that is possibly 2-3yrs old and they force him to vote thier way.
    This is what we need to be concerned with if govt are keeping our phone calls for 5 yrs.
    01-14-14 10:34 AM
    [Reposted from Luca Filigheddu's Ch... C000CAE7B]
    [Reposted from MichaelClewley C00014277]
    One of the features added into 10.2.1 is what we call "Running Shift". This is that feature for all you die hard trackpad users that are missing the trackpad for things like text selection. It's really easy to use!

Press and hold the shift key and you can move your thumb anywhere on the screen to move t"

I didn't know about this feature.

Posted using Z30. Best phone in the world.
    Blackberry is good at hiding useful features. Tried and it works, thanks for the tip.
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-14-14 10:45 AM
    Interesting...this could be huge

http://www.maas360.com/maasters/blog...ampaign=buffer

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 11:09 AM
    Relatively low volume day, it seems, with no hard news, while the market is generally positive.

Let's look at things positively: good for correcting the overbrought situation and some consolidation?

How's that for this novice's attempt at understanding what is going on?

OT: BTW, Morgan, TGTX looking good today.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    01-14-14 11:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    LoL. Seems like even if some one farts, it is against the blackberry.
    Blackberry vs the rest of the world.

01-14-14 11:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    Well, I don't think BlackBerry need to worry about any of these keyboard stickers or such like. First the story was that BlackBerry sucked because physical keyboards were lame, and now BlackBerry is dead because some folks are making little keyboard things for phones. Who cares. So long as companies keep trying to make add on keyboard, BlackBerry will be able to say that they provide the best keyboard experience. I don't think these little add on keyboards will have the build quality to last anyway, and in the end a keyboard is better than a fake keyboard or a dimpled screen protector.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 11:26 AM

Tactile Buttons at CES 14 Bludgeon BlackBerry?s Last Bastion of Hope

Posted via CB10
    I think they showed this last year too. Probably a good idea, but the bubble-shaped keys are probably not ideal.
    morganplus8 and sidhuk like this.
    01-14-14 11:34 AM
    but the bubble-shaped keys are probably not ideal.
    Really?
    bungaboy, Corbu and plasmid_boy like this.
    01-14-14 11:45 AM
    It's all getting a bit boring - all this BlackBerry is dead stuff. The company is clearly not dead and no little fake keyboard or whatever is going to knock them out. I really do think that enough is enough now, and we need to start pointing and laughing at those who are still chanting that boring garbage because they actually suck at writing and lack intellectual creativity. Really, it's as though they simply have no capacity to write a thoughtful word, and just fall back on the same revomited, stale, boring nonsense.

I'm not saying that they can't be critical, but they've got to do better than just getting up in the morning, looking around and deciding on the next, brand new, old reason BlackBerry is dead.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 12:09 PM
    It's all getting a bit boring - all this BlackBerry is dead stuff. The company is clearly not dead and no little fake keyboard or whatever is going to knock them out. I really do think that enough is enough now, and we need to start pointing and laughing at those who are still chanting that boring garbage because they actually suck at writing and lack intellectual creativity. Really, it's as though they simply have no capacity to write a thoughtful word, and just fall back on the same revomited, stale, boring nonsense.

I'm not saying that they can't be critical, but they've got to do better than just getting up in the morning, looking around and deciding on the next, brand new, old reason BlackBerry is dead.

Posted via CB10
    the funny thing is that the moment blackberry buys out the Raised Bubble company, all of a sudden, it ll be quoted as DOA.
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-14-14 12:15 PM
    Hi Morgan8,
    All 4 of your favorites are up. Thanks.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20140114_121641.png

01-14-14 12:19 PM
    Till someone comes out with proof that BB is compromised I would say they are more secure than Droid/Apple. Second yes a warrant is LEGAL request, what the NSA and other US 3-acronym company do without the backing of the Law ie Snowden is what ppl should be worriers about.

Not saying that everyone is contemplating treason/murder/crime. But let's say a Senator is having and affair, the NSA in their broad cellphone capture the Snowden told us that happened, found this out. Now they have gotten no warrant to obtain this. The Senator is going to vote on a bill.,, well now the NSA has dirt on him that is possibly 2-3yrs old and they force him to vote thier way.
    This is what we need to be concerned with if govt are keeping our phone calls for 5 yrs.
    I don't disagree with any of that. It's just that what you note is vastly different, IMHO, than comparing it to a "security flaw" that might happen when someone uses a jail broken iThing on public wifi to access financial info as mentioned in the linked article. If I cut my brake own brake lines, text while drive and then crash, should I really blame BMW?

What you describe is worrisome to many law abiding citizens. I wasn't defending NSA or any of their actions, just saying that if they want info whether a BB, or iThing, they have "legal" ways to get it. I do agree for the average person worried about non authorized intrusions, BB seems much more secure. What the article describes is a moron looking for an issue. JMHO........

EDIT: Took a flyer on a few hundred share of Morgan's SPHS yesterday at $4.40, let's see what happens.............
    01-14-14 12:32 PM
    It's all getting a bit boring - all this BlackBerry is dead stuff.
    Over at TheStreet they may have had enough of it as well. They write the same story but have a new target:

Pieces Are in Place For Microsoft's Death

BY Rocco Pendola| 01/14/14 - 09:30 AM EST
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-14-14 12:43 PM
    BBM 2.0 and 10.2.1 aren't much of a catalyst since neither of these translates to more revenue. At least not directly, or in the near future.

Posted via CB10
    If BBM had 300M active users you don't think the stock would be a lot higher, even without revenue?

Twitter doesn't make any money. Have you looked at the market cap?

10.2.1 will have the reviewers looking at the update, and seeing that Android apps run pretty well on the new runtime. This will bring media coverage of closing the app gap, more positive news about BBRY and less blackberry is dead. 10.2.1 news will help Jakarta sales vs 10.2.0 = more revenue.

Certainly both of these are catalysts.
    Corbu, morganplus8, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    01-14-14 12:48 PM
    I wondered about that a while ago, but I just don't think governments would want that. They wouldn't be impressed with BlackBerry provided security and privacy to individuals. I think that if BlackBerry offered 'personal BES10', BlackBerry would become a truly huge company, but that would mean completely undermining the surveillance state. Imagine a world of privacy...that's a modern government's worst nightmare.

Posted via CB10
    Any company or individual could always use BES 5 if they wanted. Sure more money to run a server if BES 5.

Not much difference except a lot less cost to use BES 10 cloud.
    01-14-14 12:53 PM
    Plus does anyone still think the NSA can't get 99% of what passes over your BB device? What they don't steal they can get valid search warrants for and no publically traded company will refuse to honor a Federal US warrant or subpeona. I think BB security is great for many reasons, but protection from the NSA ain't one of them.
    I'm sure they could brute force decrypt if they pulled an encrypted stream. that is targetted and they wouldn't do that for many people. Or...yes they will fulfill a warrant. Also targetted. That's fine. They just can't mass snoop on everyone and word search through all comms for everyone in plain text from an iphone or android.
    OMGitworks and bungaboy like this.
    01-14-14 12:59 PM
    Well, I don't think BlackBerry need to worry about any of these keyboard stickers or such like. First the story was that BlackBerry sucked because physical keyboards were lame, and now BlackBerry is dead because some folks are making little keyboard things for phones.
    Typo Products Sells Out Initial Inventory, Though Legal Battle Looms

https://businessincanada.com/2014/01...lawsuit-court/
    01-14-14 01:19 PM
    Typo Products Sells Out Initial Inventory, Though Legal Battle Looms

https://businessincanada.com/2014/01...lawsuit-court/
    Do we know if they sold 20 or 30 of those units?

For the price of one of those you could own the real thing. Thanks
    sidhuk likes this.
    01-14-14 01:43 PM

Sold out of 10,000 initial inventory.
    01-14-14 01:44 PM
    Sold out of 10,000 initial inventory.
    Link please and thank you.
    sidhuk likes this.
    01-14-14 01:47 PM
    WIREDs Thunderdome Champion Defends BlackBerry Z30

Tim Moyniham from WIRED who ended up winning the WIRED�s Smartphone Thunderdome Challenge has returned from his �grueling� 6 days straight using the Z30 to capture the 2014 Consumer Electronics Show. While not totally foreign to the user, you can tell he�s still a BlackBerry NOOB. Despite the event, his tenacity and the powerful business forward BlackBerry Z30 got it done KILLING the competition. Read up on his defense of the Z30 in a world that�s crazy for the latest apps, there is some amusing irony in the editors tone, if not a touch of optimism�it�s without question that the Z30 is the greatest BlackBerry ever built and now arguable the best device to tackle a trade show alone with, and that�s saying something.

WIREDs Thunderdome Champion Defends BlackBerry Z30 -

He complains about a lack of apps and camera UI:

We Defend BlackBerry�s Z30, the Half-Baked Phone That Could

This is the first time I�ve used a real keyboard in eight days. I feel like I�m playing a piano.

I finally got re-acquainted with my old friend after using nothing but a Blackberry Z30 for six days straight in WIRED�s Smartphone Thunderdome Challenge. In case you missed it, our Gadget Lab reporters used nothing but phones to cover CES. It sounds like an absurd idea, but it turned out to have major benefits. In fact, after six days of non-stop snapping and tapping, I have a newfound admiration for the phone. Also, I may never bring a laptop to CES again.
    What I liked about using the BlackBerry Z30

I came into Smartphone Thunderdome having only used the BlackBerry Z30 for a couple of days. But I wasn�t a BlackBerry rookie. I had been using a Z10 (a smaller, more-plasticky version of a touchscreen BB10 phone) for a couple of months. I was used to the new BlackBerry OS�s unique features.

The touchscreen BlackBerries don�t have any navigation buttons. You operate them by swiping the screen using different gestures, which takes a bit of getting used to. And even though they don�t have hardware keyboards, their touchscreen keyboards are the best ones I�ve ever used.

The most commonly mentioned feature of the BlackBerry�s touchscreen keyboard is its �flick-to-type� approach to word suggestions, which really does help when you get the hang of it. For example, instead of having to type out �onomatopoeia,� you type in �onom,� and the word �onomatopoeia� appears above the �a� key. You flick up on the �a� key to add that word. It saves a ton of time on longer or more commonly used words. Plus, it works as a preemptive spell-check.
    BlackBerry Z30 keyboard

The touchscreen keyboard on the BlackBerry is no joke. The flick-to-type feature saves time.

I used that feature quite a bit, especially later in the week when my hands were sweaty and weary. But even when I didn�t, the keyboard just seemed very accurate in terms of response and text-correction when I was in fingers-flying mode. The five-inch screen size of the Z30 certainly helped there, too. It was a lot more comfortable to type on than the 4.2-inch screen on the smaller Z10. Actually, the Smartphone Thunderdome challenge was the first time I actually craved a �phablet.� The bigger the screen for this kind of mobile-only coverage, the better.

The Z30 is a really well-built phone. It has rich-sounding stereo speakers and a big-but-not-too-big 5-inch AMOLED screen. I�m betting that if it ran Android, it would probably be one of the most popular phones in the Android realm. There�s an elegant but durable aluminum bumper on the bottom of it that saved my screen from cracking at least once. I accidentally dropped it � bottom corner down, without a case, onto concrete � which dented and scuffed the bumper but didn�t affect the screen whatsoever. An iPhone 4 or 4S would have been a goner.

Its detachable back is also durable and feels nice. It�s made of woven carbon fiber, so it�s pretty much impossible to scuff or crack. You can remove the back to expand storage with a microSD card. You can�t remove or replace the battery by yourself, but it gave me plenty of juice for each day�s antics. I�d guess about 8-10 hours of consistent usage per charge, although I plugged it in many times a day to be on the safe side.

In retrospect, I really liked the BlackBerry Hub, too. It�s basically a universal inbox that you can set up to feed all your incoming alerts and messages to a single place. To be honest, I didn�t even realize how useful it was until later in the show, when my colleagues missed some information about a �flash challenge� that would only last for 10 minutes. Because I had a single hub I kept checking for everything � emails, text messages, Tumblr updates, and incoming Tweets � I felt like I was always on top of disparate forms of communication. I didn�t even have to jump between apps to stay in the loop.

This is basically what I saw when I was awake last week. Photo: Liz Stinson/WIRED

There were features I didn�t use, and that basically came down to personal preference. For example, BB10 phones have voice-control and speech-to-text features. I didn�t use them because I never use those with any phone. I prefer to type in notes by hand, because it helps me retain information in my own brain and it forces me to pay attention to whoever is talking. For notes, I used the Docs to Go app that comes pre-installed on the Z30. It lets you create .doc and .xls files.
    What I didn�t like about using the BlackBerry Z30

It�s no secret that today�s mobile world is much different than the one BlackBerry dominated just a few years ago. It�s not enough to just be a capable phone. You have to be a platform, a device that�s constantly evolving and adding new functions, features, and fun stuff via third-party app development.

And that�s the BlackBerry�s weak point. It�s a very capable business phone, and it even offers the audio and video hardware to be a damn good entertainment phone. The trouble is, not many people are actively developing apps for it.

Case in point, I had to �side-load� the Tumblr app to even take part in Smartphone Thunderdome. It�s a process that involved downloading the BlackBerry PlayBook (remember that?) app manager to my computer, downloading an app file to my computer, flipping my phone to �Developer Mode,� and running some command-line instructions from my computer to get the Tumblr app installed on my phone. I didn�t mind it much, but it�s a significant barrier for most users.

For BlackBerry users, that�s supposed to change with the next OS update. BlackBerry OS 10.2.1 will support downloading and running Android apps directly from a handset. The new OS may not support running all Android apps, but it will still be a huge step forward for anyone using a BB10 device.

Until then, the lack of apps can cost you money. If you don�t want to tackle the side-loading approach (which worked for Tumblr but didn�t work for the Instagram app I tried to install), there are third-party Tumblr clients that cost $2 each. The lack of a GroupMe app for BB10 � which we used for team communication while at CES � meant that I received everything as a text message. As a result, I had gone over my monthly data plan and was charged an overage fee by the second day of the show.

I wasn�t too hot on the Z30′s camera, either, although I was pleasantly surprised by the way the pictures looked after they made it onto WIRED. Still, there are a couple of noticeable shortcomings with the camera. It can be slow to focus unless you�re out in the bright sunlight. It�s also not the most logical UI: You drag a box on the camera viewfinder to the point you�d like to focus on, although everybody�s first instinct is to tap part of the screen to focus and shoot. Plus, the lack of imaging apps � no Aviary, no Instagram, no Vine, unless you want to side-load them, which was a no-no in this smartphone-only contest � really limits your options with the camera.
    The people were way more important than the phones

Would the results have been any different if Christina, Roberto, Mat, and I had all been using different phones? I�m not sure. I don�t think my smartphone power-moves are any better than those of my esteemed colleagues. For me, it just came down to a bunch of human emotions.

This is what motivated me: (1) I admire and respect everybody I work with, and they brought out the best in me, (2) I am the new guy on the Gadget Lab team, and I felt like I had something to prove, (3) I had kind people on Twitter and BlackBerry forums cheering me on, and I didn�t want to let them down, and (4) I was in third place heading into the last day of competition. All of that stuff got my competitive juices flowing. It helped that the last day�s bonus challenge involved typing as many words as possible.

We Defend BlackBerry's Z30, the Half-Baked Phone That Could | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    01-14-14 01:59 PM
    Link please and thank you.
    Sorry, this is where I had read it....

http://forums.crackberry.com/apple-i...orders-893544/
    01-14-14 02:19 PM
    I don't disagree with any of that. It's just that what you note is vastly different, IMHO, than comparing it to a "security flaw" that might happen when someone uses a jail broken iThing on public wifi to access financial info as mentioned in the linked article. If I cut my brake own brake lines, text while drive and then crash, should I really blame BMW?

What you describe is worrisome to many law abiding citizens. I wasn't defending NSA or any of their actions, just saying that if they want info whether a BB, or iThing, they have "legal" ways to get it. I do agree for the average person worried about non authorized intrusions, BB seems much more secure. What the article describes is a moron looking for an issue. JMHO........

EDIT: Took a flyer on a few hundred share of Morgan's SPHS yesterday at $4.40, let's see what happens.............
    I did the same thing. Same SP same qty.
    OMGitworks and m1a1mg like this.
    01-14-14 02:24 PM
    Sorry, this is where I had read it....

http://forums.crackberry.com/apple-i...orders-893544/
    I haven't been able to find out how many they have actually sold. We are stuck not knowing if it is 20 or 30 or more I guess. Thanks
    01-14-14 02:28 PM

I have no idea. The post was just to add weight to BBUK14's post.

Cheers
    morganplus8, sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    01-14-14 02:31 PM
113,256 ... 23472348234923502351 ...