View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    So what happened this morning? Close to 15M shares traded in the first 15 minutes, roughly 30M traded within the first hour, to bring it back down to the support level where it appears to be stabilizing... Any guesses on what happened within the first half-hour? Anything to do with 9$ call options? I am just guessing here. I would be interested in knowing what those of you that are more knowledgeable than I am think. Thanks!
    01-08-14 10:59 AM
    Wait for it, we're back down at the support line.

There's no place left to go but up.
    Or down you should know better having been here as long as me

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, BlackistheBerry and jxnb like this.
    01-08-14 11:00 AM
    We have had our mid morning "dip".

It will be all up from here!
    01-08-14 11:22 AM
    Qualcomm reveals automotive strategy at CES

Qualcomm has graced the floors of CES 2014 with its automotive game plan for moving forward from tablets and smartphones to the car. It will join the brewing in-vehicle infotainment (IVI) platform battle by introducing Snapdragon automotive solutions, and it plans to enter the booming advanced driver assistant systems (ADAS) market, initially by integrating dedicated short-range communications (DSRC) technology into its WiFi chip.

In an interview with EE Times, Kanwalinder Singh, SVP of business development for Qualcomm Technologies Inc., noted that Qualcomm will leverage the company's strong presence in the in-car cellular modem market to advance automakers' telematics business.

As cars of the future, increasingly connected with the outside world, are turning into "smartphones on wheels," Qualcomm perceives the opportunity to use its undisputed lead in the global mobile phone business to morph into a formidable newcomer in the automotive chip market.

The company has introduced an "automotive-grade" infotainment chipset, the Snapdragon 602A applications processor, with a quad-core Krait CPU, Adreno 320 GPU, Hexagon DSP, integrated GNSS baseband processing, and additional high-performance audio, video and communication cores.

The Snapdragon 602A processor is "pre-integrated with Qualcomm Gobi 9x15 multimode 3G/4G-LTE and QCA6574 Qualcomm VIVE 2-stream, dual-band 802.11ac WiFi and Bluetooth LE 4.0-based modules," according to the company. Qualcomm's goal is to provide car OEMs with "unprecedented, integrated connectivity options for connected infotainment systems."

It's important to note that Qualcomm isn't exactly new to the automotive market.

The company has been there for a decade, Singh told EE Times. Initially, Qualcomm provided modem chips to General Motors, when the car OEM began its OnStar telematics services.

Today, Qualcomm dominates the in-car modem market. Singh said, "It's rare to find a car where Qualcomm's modem chip is not used."

Building on its solid foothold in in-car modems, Qualcomm's next target is the IVI system market.

Qualcomm's Singh believes that car OEMs are planning to integrate LTE modems, not just in premium cars but also in mass-market models in order to make their cars "future-proof." The latest LTE modem design-win opportunity gives Qualcomm a perfect opening to pitch the company's newly designed, auto-grade Snapdragon for IVI systems.

Singh believes that LTE is effective in enhancing automakers' telematics services. "There are 60 to 100 ECUs in a car these days," he said, "all of which are running software." By using LTE modems, a carmaker will be able to update all of its software over the air. The connectivity will be useful, also, in "interacting with a car remotely," said Singh, such as comfort-setting inside a vehicle or opening a door.

Asked about the company's game plan, Singh said that Qualcomm's strategy is to leverage a deeper level of integration in its automotive Snapdragon SoC to attack every car's in-vehicle infotainment system, "up to the mid-tier. That's where the sweet spot is."

Texas Instruments, Freescale, and NXP are also strong players in the automotive silicon market.

Singh pointed out, however, that although they are strong in the industrial automotive chip segment, all three chip suppliers have already fled the smartphone modem business. This leaves them vulnerable to new competition from Qualcomm, which can provide highly integrated in-vehicle infotainment SoCs that run on modern OSs and offer LTE modem, GPS, and WiFi integrated on the global platform, Singh asserted.

The company also boasted that its platform is "designed to interoperate with consumer devices from leading smartphone and tablet ecosystems to deliver the right blend of in-car integrated infotainment with brought-in experiences."

During the interview with EE Times, Qualcomm's Singh acknowledged that the company has been working on a variety of air interfaces around the car, including radar, WiFi, and IEEE 802.11p (also known as dedicated short-range communications). The combination of WiFi and 802.11p, he contends, will make a car more alert to objects in its immediate environment.

How Qualcomm plans to move into the overall ADAS segment remains less clear, however.

Singh implies that Qualcomm's in-car infotainment won't remain just for "entertainment apps" but it will eventually evolve into a platform displaying information related to ADAS.

ADAS, however, is a safety-critical system and has stricter rules than infotainment, said IHS analyst Egil Juliussen. "The OS is the key that determines what system can be used for ADAS." In his opinion, only QNX, among all the infotainment OSs, has safety-critical ratings, and QNX runs on ARM. "Hence Qualcomm can get into the ADAS business," said Juliussen. "Currently the ADAS systems are using much simpler OSs (usually, often proprietary) than infotainment OSs, but will need to have a more capable OS in the future."
    01-08-14 11:32 AM
    Qualcomm reveals automotive strategy at CES

ADAS, however, is a safety-critical system and has stricter rules than infotainment, said IHS analyst Egil Juliussen. "The OS is the key that determines what system can be used for ADAS." In his opinion, only QNX, among all the infotainment OSs, has safety-critical ratings, and QNX runs on ARM. "Hence Qualcomm can get into the ADAS business," said Juliussen. "Currently the ADAS systems are using much simpler OSs (usually, often proprietary) than infotainment OSs, but will need to have a more capable OS in the future."
    isnt that something for a "BaD" company?
    Superfly_FR and bungaboy like this.
    01-08-14 11:50 AM
    To be honest, I am sort of hoping we don't have too ridiculous a surge in stock price just yet. As a small fry investor, I'd like another few months of buying BB at a good price before a steady rise over the next few years. I was able to buy a bunch at $6, but I'd be nervous buying a whole lot more over $10 at this point.

Posted via CB10
    Patience and caution are your friends good move at $6 though
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-08-14 12:04 PM
    Away and busy all day, but ... wow. just wow.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    BlackistheBerry and bungaboy like this.
    01-08-14 12:11 PM
    StatCounter Global Stats - Browser, OS, Search Engine including Mobile Market Share
    Mrs Statcounter, where are you?
    off to the next meeting.
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-08-14 12:12 PM
    01-08-14 12:32 PM
    Anyone have level 2 access? I kind of want to know what amount of these big blocks causing these spikes, interesting...but I think its healthy for the stock to not advance another 6% today. Needs to stabilize then continue up otherwise its overbought and a big gap down will happen
    01-08-14 12:33 PM
    BlackBerry CEO Chen has a plan to win back enterprise customers - Computerworld

One potential way to win back enterprise users, Chen hinted, could be with an enterprise-grade BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) service, one that uses the SMS channel as a way for companies and government agencies to have an emergency communications network during catastrophic network outages.

"I could make BBM the enterprise emergency [channel] for people who want serious" connectivity, he said. BBM could be used for voice calls, and eventually for videoconferencing. "There's a lot of value, a lot of stuff to deliver to customers," he said.

Some government customers have told Chen that BlackBerry's network stayed up when others failed during various crises and emergencies. That gives Chen confidence he can win back enterprise customers despite the recommendations from some analysts that their clients find alternatives to BlackBerry.
    01-08-14 12:36 PM
    BlackBerry CEO Chen has a plan to win back enterprise customers - Computerworld

One potential way to win back enterprise users, Chen hinted, could be with an enterprise-grade BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) service, one that uses the SMS channel as a way for companies and government agencies to have an emergency communications network during catastrophic network outages.

"I could make BBM the enterprise emergency [channel] for people who want serious" connectivity, he said. BBM could be used for voice calls, and eventually for videoconferencing. "There's a lot of value, a lot of stuff to deliver to customers," he said.

Some government customers have told Chen that BlackBerry's network stayed up when others failed during various crises and emergencies. That gives Chen confidence he can win back enterprise customers despite the recommendations from some analysts that their clients find alternatives to BlackBerry.
    Hire me ! lol
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-08-14 12:50 PM
    Hire me ! lol
    Seconded!!!!
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-08-14 01:09 PM
    BBM 2.0 For android has leaked
    Randeman likes this.
    01-08-14 01:13 PM
    When is the last time we saw such a headline in a US publication?
    BlackBerry CEO Chen might have the turnaround touch - Jan. 8, 2014
    New BlackBerry CEO may have golden touch

Could it be that the tide is s-l-o-w-l-y starting to turn?
    01-08-14 01:22 PM
    When is the last time we saw such a headline in a US publication?
    BlackBerry CEO Chen might have the turnaround touch - Jan. 8, 2014
    New BlackBerry CEO may have golden touch

Could it be that the tide is s-l-o-w-l-y starting to turn?
    Well, let us hope that this message will spread....with more results leading to a more positive perception of the BlackBerry brand.
    sidhuk, Corbu, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    01-08-14 01:43 PM
    Well, let us hope that this message will spread....with more results leading to a more positive perception of the BlackBerry brand.
    Indeed. If anything, I want to congratulate JC for what he has done over the last three days at the CES. It seems he has been busy and we haven't seen too many negative reports. Now, it is only a start. But an encouraging one.
    01-08-14 01:55 PM
    01-08-14 02:03 PM
    it is almost flat after the 250mil debenture news. any comments?
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-chart.jpg
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-08-14 02:09 PM
    Chen:

"We're not retreating from the consumer business"

"The already noted BlackBerry 'Jakarta' being built by Foxconn that will be priced under $200 and a high-end BlackBerry with a QWERTY keyboard built in-house by BlackBerry."

So, no good Z30 successor? I guess this Z10 is my first andlast Blackberry. You better get a good fullscreen model or I'm done.
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    01-08-14 02:09 PM
    it is almost flat after the 250mil debenture news. any comments?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chart.jpg 
Views:	1492 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	237082
    It was already priced in
    OMGitworks likes this.
    01-08-14 02:13 PM
    I am fine with z30 as a touch screen smart phone. as long as they keep refining the software.
    I do feel that a trackpad version with keyboard and good screen will move me over to the newer model.
    morganplus8, bungaboy and georg22 like this.
    01-08-14 02:14 PM
    CNBC just had a mostly positive piece on the BBRY options spike. Also got back into HALO this am....

Posted via CB10
    HALO is the gift that keeps giving. Got out at the end of the year, back in at $14.51 and a few days later we are at $15.65.....

FWIW (nothing) meet with that financial firm. They are pretty conservative as they manage a lot of "widow and orphan" and non-profit money, but their strategy is to write a lot of covered calls on their winners from last year. If they have to sell, they have locked in big profits. Either way they gain the premium for the calls. YMMV...........
    Randeman and slipstream89 like this.
    01-08-14 02:35 PM
    01-08-14 02:37 PM
    HALO is the gift that keeps giving. Got out at the end of the year, back in at $14.51 and a few days later we are at $15.65.....

FWIW (nothing) meet with that financial firm. They are pretty conservative as they manage a lot of "widow and orphan" and non-profit money, but their strategy is to write a lot of covered calls on their winners from last year. If they have to sell, they have locked in big profits. Either way they gain the premium for the calls. YMMV...........
    I'm beginning to think that anybody can make money in this market. BBRY had a great day, backed up, consolidated above the key area of $ 8.20 to $ 8.45 and HALO went on a nice run closing at a multi-year high. When a stock hits a multi-year closing high, it usually means there is more to follow.

It would be nice to see BBRY hold around this level and work off that over-bought situation. Great week so far!
    01-08-14 03:08 PM
113,256 ... 23322333233423352336 ...