View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I'm happy to see the indefinitive support for BBOS Brief and clear, allowing no misreading.

Something to think about:

I think it was pretty clear from the Q3 earnings results that CORE part 2 (so far) has not made any impact at all. On the contrary, their Cost of sales had gone up by 510 million (!) and Selling, marketing and administration expenses had gone up by 16 million to 543 million in total. Crazy figures if you ask me. I suspect the write-down had much to do with it (especially for the Cost of sales figure), but I'm not a CFA so I can only guess for now.

Now, with the Foxconn deal, does that mean they can start restructuring their hardware division? I understand they would still be manufacturing the high-end devices, but I wonder how that would work. Of the 11,750 (?) employees at BlackBerry when they announced CORE part 2, I'm sure a significant part is dedicated to design, hardware,...
    01-03-14 06:26 AM
    Okay, this explains part of the CORE program and its impact so far :-)

The company incurred 266 million pre-tax charges (225 million after tax). Almost all are related to one-time employee termination benefits, facilities and manufacturing costs, legal and financial advisory costs. Now, charges of 76 million were included in Cost of sales, charges of 37 million were included in research and development, and charges of 153 million were included in Selling, marketing and administration.

So that leaves an increase of 434 million unexplained for Cost of sales, but the good news is Selling, marketing and administration had effectively gone down by 137 million.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-03-14 06:45 AM
    Alicia Keys No Longer Blackberry Creative Director: Video - Bloomberg

Any idea why this guy mentions Mike Lazaridis cut his stake in half?
    01-03-14 06:48 AM
    BlackBerry price target raised to $6 from $5 at RBC Capital
    RBC Capital increased its price target on BlackBerry, citing what it sees as the company's reduced cash burn outlook. The firm thinks that investors are more confident in the company's turnaround efforts following the appointment of its new CEO, but RBC Capital still believes that the company is in a "very challenging environment," and keeps an Underperform rating on the stock.
    01-03-14 07:33 AM
    Alicia Keys No Longer Blackberry Creative Director: Video - Bloomberg

Any idea why this guy mentions Mike Lazaridis cut his stake in half?
    speaking just for sake of hearing ones own voice, not for the knowledge, or lack there of.
    jfguay2, rarsen, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    01-03-14 07:34 AM
    Cut his stake in half?! What kind of math says 10% == half?
    jfguay2, bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    01-03-14 07:39 AM
    Agree and like
    BUT, do not forget that Chen's got things to announce Thor was busy at building as fast as possible ...
    Thorstend departure timing is really interesting (as I believe anything Chen's announcing now was ready for press release before he came in).
    I'm not so sure TH was that great at investor relations or PR in general. Chen seems (at least at first blush ....far to early to give him any kind of grade yet IMO) to be more savy at the timing and delivery of BB news.

I see Chen woo'ing Wall street, then letting "positive" investor news change BB perception. One could argue it was negative investor news that perpetuated the accelerated downward spiral in the first place. Had sales expectations on BB10 been managed via proper PR, sales figures could have potentially been used as positives not negatives, and allowed BB10 to gain traction at its own rate.

I don't think there is anyone in here who realistically thought BB10 would take over the world in the first year, yet everyone outside of here felt it needed to. If the news reported BB10, slowly gaining traction, vs, not selling fast enough ....what would consumer perception be then is a fair question I think. Alas, hinsight is always 20/20 .....even thou looking back is still a bit fuzzy.

Marketing is so much more than commercials, and I think (as I mentioned at first blush), Chen seems to have better timing on.Time will tell.
    Corbu, rarsen, bungaboy and 5 others like this.
    01-03-14 07:50 AM
    Well made it to work in this storm only to have the office closed as soon as I get there, oh well, at least I'll be able to get some **** done.

OT: For those of you holding AMD, what is your play before ER? I have a relatively small position that I bought at $3.60 and am thinking of adding to that before the 20th. You guys think there is any chance they miss expectations or bomb the ER call, it doesn't seem very likely but I'm not sure
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-03-14 08:27 AM
    01-03-14 08:40 AM
    I'm not so sure TH was that great at investor relations or PR in general.
    No he wasn't.
    But my take is that he was the masons', plumbers' and electricians' conductor: the Project supervisor
    Chen now leads the Project Owner team (BOD).

P.S: I hope my translation is accurate, in French we say "Ma�trise d'ouvrage" (Chen) and "Ma�tre d'oeuvre" (Heins) ... Rarsen, you may help here ?

O.T : damm ... just saw I broke the 10K likes ... thank you guys !
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-03-14 at 09:12 AM.
    bungaboy, Corbu, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    01-03-14 08:50 AM
    I think AMD is going to go up. They are in the new Mac machines and now with bit coin mining taking off AMD boards are needed for that too
    bergeron37 likes this.
    01-03-14 08:56 AM
    So 60 days before the actual release?

Good Morning Gang.
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-03-14 09:05 AM
    You might think this TW leads to a customer page ... it's not : straight into enterprise section ...
    Téléphones BlackBerry 10 : choisissez le bon partenaire commercial - France

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    01-03-14 09:06 AM
    So 60 days before the actual release?

Good Morning Gang.
    'Morning sidhuk
    Not sure about the 60 days; is that avg beta duration or something ?
    01-03-14 09:11 AM
    Yup: history's inside this thread.
    Besides our take and positions, i believe we've pretty much monitored anything BlackBerry for the last 3 years.
    Add all the S.A (and many other) material I've bookmarked/stored and we have a solid basis for a fact checking book. I hope my calendar will finally fit with my projects ...
    This thread could be part of the university syllabus and could be used to teach few business related (cyber bullying, press manipulation, importance of media warfare in business etc.) subjects.
    01-03-14 09:12 AM
    'Morning sidhuk
    Not sure about the 60 days; is that avg beta duration or something ?
    Usually is. Specially so many different versions of android OS and hardwares out there.
    bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    01-03-14 09:14 AM
    Let's see how the 10:30 reversal goes
    Side note : If I remind correctly, last time I checked, rating was 62% bullish and 1yr est was $6.1 ...
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    bungaboy and Bacon Munchers like this.
    01-03-14 09:17 AM
    Usually is. Specially so many different versions of android OS and hardwares out there.
    The initial beta for BBM for Android also lasted 60 days
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-03-14 10:34 AM
    Prediction for next Short interest report 128 million feel free to make a prediction
    01-03-14 11:49 AM
    BlackBerry Sues Ryan Seacrest?s Smartphone Keyboard Startup

BlackBerry, the struggling mobile device maker, has filed a patent-infringement lawsuit against Typo Products, the startup co-founded by Ryan Seacrest that has developed a smartphone keyboard attachment.

Typo Products reps did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

?This is a blatant infringement against BlackBerry?s iconic keyboard, and we will vigorously protect our intellectual property against any company that attempts to copy our unique design,? Steve Zipperstein, BlackBerry?s general counsel and chief legal officer, said in a statement.

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/bla...up-1201024255/
    bungaboy, Corbu, rarsen and 6 others like this.
    01-03-14 11:50 AM
    John Chen . . . . take no prisoners!

Press release from Marketwire

BlackBerry Files Suit Against Typo

BlackBerry charges Typo has infringed its Keyboard Patents

Friday, January 03, 2014

BlackBerry Files Suit Against Typo

12:27 EST Friday, January 03, 2014

WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Jan. 3, 2014) - BlackBerry� Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a world leader in mobile communications, today announced that it has filed a lawsuit against Typo Products LLC ("Typo").

Typo, founded by entrepreneur Laurence Hallier and TV host and media personality Ryan Seacrest, announced the Typo Keyboard™ would be available for pre-order this month. The complaint against Typo alleges patent infringement and that Typo has blatantly copied BlackBerry's keyboard with its iPhone� keyboard case designed to slip on to iPhone devices.

"This is a blatant infringement against BlackBerry's iconic keyboard, and we will vigorously protect our intellectual property against any company that attempts to copy our unique design. From the beginning, BlackBerry has always focused on offering an exceptional typing experience that combines a great design with ergonomic excellence. We are flattered by the desire to graft our keyboard onto other smartphones, but we will not tolerate such activity without fair compensation for using our intellectual property and our technological innovations," said Steve Zipperstein, BlackBerry's General Counsel and Chief Legal Officer.

The Typo Keyboard violates BlackBerry's intellectual property rights, and BlackBerry will protect those rights from blatant copying and infringement. BlackBerry's iconic physical keyboard designs have been recognized by the press and the public as a significant market differentiator for its mobile handheld devices. This lawsuit has been filed in the Northern District of California.

01-03-14 11:55 AM
    John Chen . . . . take no prisoners!
    Love this attitude. Across the board, from the most trivial to the most important. Press on and start pushing back.
    01-03-14 12:02 PM
    Seacrest OUT!
    bungaboy, zyben, sidhuk and 5 others like this.
    01-03-14 12:07 PM
    Love this attitude. Across the board, from the most trivial to the most important. Press on and start pushing back.
    To quote a "Big Hair Band" . . . . "We're Not Going to Take it!"
    spike12, Corbu, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    01-03-14 12:09 PM
    01-03-14 12:11 PM
113,250 ... 23152316231723182319 ...