702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 02:24 PM
    Glad to off added today at $8.10
    Randeman and Shanerredflag like this.
    01-02-14 02:28 PM
    Don't you guys feel that BlackBerry 10 devices once new 10.2.1 released officially, BlackBerry native apps + all android apps will mean better android than android, and plus more marketing, will be killing devices?

This single fact will scare the shorts and bring in more investors?

Posted via CB10
    No

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 02:50 PM
    A bit off topic, but related. I wonder, if Blackberry would create a web based social networking platform to rival Facebook and Google+. It could build it on top BBM channels.

Facebook Sued For Scanning 'Private' Messages.

http://www.mediapost.com/publication...?edition=68431
    01-02-14 02:57 PM
    Did she really ever do anything at all?

Posted via CB10
    Thor said . . .

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-443143480_640.jpg
    01-02-14 03:14 PM
    Disappointment is my expectation.

Posted via CB10
    No

Posted via CB10
    [startjoke]

[endjoke]
    01-02-14 03:35 PM
    It's funny.. the WSJ is treating alicia keys like she got terminated from bb

Pounded out on the last great qwerty to rule them all.. Q10
    01-02-14 04:09 PM
    A bit off topic, but related. I wonder, if Blackberry would create a web based social networking platform to rival Facebook and Google+. It could build it on top BBM channels.

Facebook Sued For Scanning 'Private' Messages.

http://www.mediapost.com/publication...?edition=68431
    I've been ranting about that for a year now. I thought that Channels was going to be that thing, but was surprised to find that there is no personal setting, and no photo album setting. I was ready to leave Facebook for my own channel, and to get my BBM contacts to do the same...why isn't this obvious? I really hope this happens. All they need to do is change Channel options to allow for really nice personal Channels with photo albums, etc. They wouldn't even struggle with the Google + issue of having an account and no contacts.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag, sidhuk and JLagoon like this.
    01-02-14 04:14 PM
    BlackBerry CEO: Cloud Services for Cars Coming at CES

sidhuk, plasmid_boy, Corbu and 6 others like this.
    01-02-14 05:07 PM

BB should make "I Love BlackBerry" t-shirts and hand them out to us. I need to dress formal at work, but I am willing to be a BB ad when I am out shopping.
    bungaboy, Corbu, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    01-02-14 05:16 PM
    BB should make "I Love BlackBerry" t-shirts and hand them out to us. I need to dress formal at work, but I am willing to be a BB ad when I am out shopping.
    plasmid_boy likes this.
    01-02-14 05:27 PM
    BlackBerry Confirms that They "Intend to Support BlackBerry OS Indefinitely" (Legacy Devices)

BlackBerry Confirms that They "Intend to Support BlackBerry OS Indefinitely" (Legacy Devices) - BerryReview
    01-02-14 05:32 PM
    now that is a quick action reply to correct a wrong statement..
    Off to the GYM now.
    01-02-14 05:36 PM
    Snowing outside my office right now, the worst is supposed to come between midnight and 7 A.M., should be an interesting commute in the morning. Expected to be at least 12 inches...

I ******* love the snow and would never trade to live year-round anywhere else.
    Just in from Boston . . .

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-wicked-storm.jpg
    01-02-14 06:51 PM
    now that is a quick action reply to correct a wrong statement..
    Off to the GYM now.
    For the past few weeks, I have got the impression that Chen has realized the importance of the media early on, and intends to use it effectively.
    Just take a look at the number of official announcements that have come out of Waterloo recently.
    This is not the TH-BBRY that we have known.
    JC seems to be making sure that the media keeps getting something or the other positive, to atleast avoid the negative spin that is the norm on 'no news days'.
    A good example is - we didn't see a single headline today claiming that BlackBerry was laying off more people today (Alicia Keys). Wasn't that surprising ?????
    Corbu, rarsen, jxnb and 5 others like this.
    01-02-14 07:30 PM
    Is this the car that will be showcasing Google's new partnership with Audi? Nothing about Google is in the article, but it does say the car will be showcased at CES.

http://www.dvice.com/2014-1-2/audi-c...frikkin-lasers

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10! ?
    01-02-14 07:34 PM
    Great news...leave that to others,(i.e.Foxxcom) it's a race to the bottom as devices comodasise.
    Another example of this:
    Google Unit Cuts Moto X Phone Price - WSJ.com

Google Inc. GOOG -0.68% 's Motorola Mobility unit dropped the price on its flagship smartphone Wednesday, continuing its assault on the high margins of its smartphone rivals.

In a blog post, the company said its Moto X with 16 gigabytes of memory would now cost $399 without a wireless contract for U.S. customers, down from $550. The company offered the Moto X for brief periods in December at $349, but the latest price drop isn't a temporary promotion.

At $399, the Moto X will be significantly cheaper than Samsung Electronics Co. 005930.SE -1.15% 's flagship device, the Galaxy S4, which costs $600 at Verizon Wireless for a 16-gigabyte model without a wireless contract. The Galaxy is the most popular high-end smartphone that, like Motorola's devices, runs Google's Android operating system.

Apple Inc. AAPL -1.41% 's iPhone 5S, running on its own operating system, costs $650 at Verizonfor a 16-gigabyte model without a contract.

The price cut on the Moto X extends a strategy laid out by Motorola Chief Executive Dennis Woodside to undercut rivals. Motorola's lower-end Moto G phone, released in November, starts at $179 without a contract in the U.S., compared with $250 for a comparable Samsung device at Verizon. VZ -0.28%

Analysts say that low off-contract pricing is likely to have a bigger impact outside the U.S., where a larger share of smartphone users buy their phones directly, rather than by signing wireless contracts.

The Moto X is sold only in North and South America, and the new lower price is only available in the U.S. for now.

The $399 price means Motorola will be selling its device at significantly thinner profit margins than its rivals do. The cost of components inside a 16-gigabyte Moto X is roughly $200, according to TechInsights, and that is roughly the same as for Samsung's Galaxy S4. But the Galaxy now costs 50% more in the U.S.

More than two-thirds of Samsung's operating profit came from its sales of mobile devices in the third quarter. Motorola, by contrast, has recorded losses of roughly $2 billion since it was acquired by Google in 2012.

The price cut could be an effort to boost sales of the Moto X, which have been slow. Strategy Analytics estimates that Motorola sold roughly 500,000 in the third quarter, after the phone's August release. By comparison, Samsung said it sold more than 10 million Galaxy S4 phones within a month of its April release.

And even with the significant price cut, Motorola may need to do more to take meaningful market share from Samsung, said Mark Newman, an analyst at Sanford C. Bernstein. "Brand, distribution and product breadth are critical to sales volumes, and here Moto falls desperately behind [Samsung] still."

A Motorola spokesman declined to comment on the sales figures.
    And by the way:
    http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/01/...ings-guidance/
    Samsung Shares Slump Ahead of Earnings Guidance

It’s a brand new year but Samsung Electronics Co.005930.SE -1.38% isn’t off to a good start.

On Thursday, the first trading day in 2014, more than $8 billion came off the South Korean company’s market value as investors continue to dump the stock on concerns of slowing profit growth at its key mobile division.

The company is scheduled to release its fourth-quarter earnings estimates on Tuesday.
    Last edited by Corbu; 01-02-14 at 08:46 PM.
    sidhuk, rarsen, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    01-02-14 08:09 PM
    Google, Apple Forge Auto Ties - WSJ.com

Technology giants Google Inc. GOOG -0.68% and Apple Inc. AAPL -1.41% are about to expand their battle for digital supremacy to a new front: the automobile.

Next week at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Google and German auto maker Audi AG NSU.XE +0.31% plan to announce that they are working together to develop in-car entertainment and information systems that are based on Google's Android software, people familiar with the matter said.

They also plan to disclose collaborative efforts with other automotive and tech companies, including chip maker Nvidia Corp. NVDA -1.00% , to establish Android as an important technology for future vehicles, these people said. The aim is to allow drivers and passengers to access music, navigation, apps and services that are similar to those widely available now on Android-powered smartphones, these people added.

The coming announcements signal Google's response to an initiative launched last June by Apple to integrate iPhones and other devices running its iOS operating system with car makers' dashboard control panels. Apple so far has the support of BMW AG BMW.XE -1.97% , Daimler AG DAI.XE -1.99% 's Mercedes-Benz division, General Motors Co. GM +0.20% and Honda Motor Co. 7267.TO +0.70%

Apple and Google already compete fiercely in an array of digital businesses, ranging from smartphones and tablet computers to mobile apps and Web browsers. With 80 million new cars and light trucks sold each year, automobiles represent a significant new opportunity for Internet-based software and services.

"The car is becoming the ultimate mobile device," said Thilo Koslowski, an analyst at the research firm Gartner Inc. IT -1.76% who specializes in advanced in-car electronics. "Apple and Google see that and are trying to line up allies to bring their technology into the vehicle."

The annual event known as CES has in recent years become an important showcase for advances in automotive electronics, including the kind of autonomous driving technologies that Google has helped pioneer.

Besides its partnership with the Internet company, Audi is expected to demonstrate new technologies that allow cars to drive themselves in certain situations and for short periods, and to lay out a timetable to offer them on new models due to arrive over the next four or five years, people familiar with the matter said.

A year ago, Audi used the trade show to demonstrate a car that could navigate through a parking garage and pull into a parking space without a driver at the wheel.

Ford Motor Co. F +0.06% is expected to demonstrate an autonomous vehicle it has developed at CES next week. BMW, based in Germany, has also invited reporters to a demonstration of related technology.

The developments, some of which were discussed in an article in electronics trade publication EE Times earlier this month, come as car makers keep adding more computer chips to their new models. Some, such as GM and Audi, have announced plans to equip cars with fourth-generation cellular chips to connect to the Web without requiring a smartphone. GM, for example, plans to equip almost all of the company's 2015 models with the technology to provide a constant wireless broadband connection, said Phil Abram, the auto maker's chief technology officer, during a recent conference call with analysts.

Car makers also are adding powerful processors based on technology that ARM Holdings ARM.LN -0.36% PLC of Britain licenses to smartphone chip makers. Such processors require operating systems, and Google's free Android software is an emerging option.

"We are starting to see an uptick of Android use in car makers, starting in Asia and working its way across the world," said Rajeev Kumar, a world-wide director of business development for Freescale Semiconductor Inc., a large supplier of chips used in cars.

As they approach the auto market, technology providers are compelled to create offerings that don't require drivers to take their eyes off the road or their hands off the steering wheel. Apple has some key technology in that field.

The Silicon Valley company's voice-based Siri technology, for example, can read out incoming text messages and emails, and let the driver dictate a reply.

Honda, based in Japan, is now starting to roll out new models that allow the driver to activate Siri from a button on the steering wheel and to talk to Siri using the car's hands-free audio system. That enables a driver to use Siri to read out newly arrived email or text messages, check weather, set the navigation system or enter appointments on the iPhone's calendar—all while keeping both hands on the wheel.

With its "iOS in the Car" initiative announced last June, Apple hopes to turn the iPhone into a kind of brain for operating dashboard electronics, using the car's built-in display to interact with services such as maps and traffic information.

Apple has said that it expects a dozen car brands to adopt the technology in 2014. An Apple spokeswoman declined to comment for this article.

Google and the company's partners, by contrast, hope to have Android and related applications running on the car's own built-in hardware, people familiar with the matter said. The company has provided its map technology to a range of auto makers since 2006, including Audi, Toyota Motor Corp. 7203.TO +0.47% of Japan and Tesla Motors Inc. TSLA -0.22% A spokesman for Google said that it doesn't comment on rumors or speculation.

Filip Brabec, Audi's head of product strategy, declined to discuss the auto maker's coming announcements at CES. But he acknowledged that future vehicles will need computer operating systems to support the kind of apps and functions that consumers want to access while driving.

"Cars are becoming more complex, and with the computing power that is going into vehicles, you need that type of system in the car," he said.

The increased focus on in-car electronics underscores a significant challenge for auto makers. Where earlier buyers based purchase decisions on characteristics such as horsepower or fuel economy, consumers now have grown up with the Web and mobile devices and expect to remain connected while on the go.

"When they get to the dealership, the first thing they may ask is what does this thing do and point to the dashboard," said Charles Koch, a manager of new-business development at Honda's U.S. unit.

Ford attributes rising sales in the U.S. in part to the voice-activated Sync system it started offering in 2007, developed with help from Microsoft Corp. MSFT -0.67% The complex electronics has at times become a double-edged sword, however; a follow-up version called MyFord has proved confusing to some customers, hurting Ford's scores in some automotive-quality studies.

The push toward smarter cars, meanwhile, has caused big-name chip makers such as Intel Corp. INTC -0.64% and Qualcomm Inc. QCOM -1.25% to step up efforts to penetrate the car business. Rival Nvidia says 4.5 million cars on the road are already equipped with its processors, and predicts an additional 25 million cars in four or five years will be using its technology.

"Right now, we are just scratching the surface," said Danny Shapiro, Nvidia's senior director for automotive applications.
    01-02-14 08:18 PM
    The main problem with all the articles discussing Android/iOS coming to the car is the lack of QNX mentions. BB needs to somehow bring awareness to the brand and the fact they're an industry leader on that front. Otherwise, the narrative in this area will easily be dominated by Google/Apple.
    01-02-14 08:47 PM
    Sorry for those long WSJ transcripts, guys...

Since they usually are behind the wall, seems to me it is wise to copy them in their entirety eventhough not everything is always relevant.

Let me know if that is a problem.
    01-02-14 08:56 PM
    The main problem with all the articles discussing Android/iOS coming to the car is the lack of QNX mentions. BB needs to somehow bring awareness to the brand and the fact they're an industry leader on that front. Otherwise, the narrative in this area will easily be dominated by Google/Apple.
    You do realize that those articles are paid for by Google and apple? How else could they miss the most important fact that QNX is the leader? BlackBerry can not out spend Google and apple with propaganda articles.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR and bungaboy like this.
    01-02-14 09:17 PM
    With regards to the article on Google dropping the price of the Moto X, there is one more example as to why it was, and is, a good idea for BlackBerry to forge ahead with BB10 as opposed to going Android, which so many seem to think is the proper choice. They state, true or not, that approximately 500,000 units sold in the 3rd quarter. Now, that is the bloody maker of android and they can't sell their own hardware. Can you imagine how anemic the sales of a BlackBerry branded Android device would have been? As unimpressive as the current sales situation is, it's still more than double that of the Moto X.
    01-02-14 09:47 PM
    Finally, some extracts from this:
    Farhad Manjoo: Stop Pouting About Tech's Next Big Thing, It's Here - WSJ.com

Stop Pouting About Tech's Next Big Thing, It's Here
    2013 Was Not a Lost Year. Plus, Three Tech Trends to Watch in 2014

First, stop clamoring for the "next big thing." Were you disappointed, once again, that Apple AAPL -1.41% didn't release something amazing and new this year—a TV or a smartwatch, say? Were you bummed that there were few revolutionary features on the latest smartphones? Have you concluded that the tech business is boring, that there isn't any more innovation, that we live in uninteresting times?

If so, I've got two words for you: Grow up.

Second, privacy is no longer an afterthought. I've already argued that the disappearing-message app Snapchat was the most interesting technology of 2013 because it paved the way for services that don't save all our data by default. The larger message of Snapchat, though, is that privacy isn't dead.

For years, tech giants have given lip service to privacy. "It's very important to us!" they insist while slurping up mountains of your data. But the industry hasn't spent much time looking at privacy as a place for innovation, as a feature that users will care about when they choose apps or services.

Thanks to Snapchat, revelations about the National Security Agency, and an increased fear of living in a panopticon, that will thankfully begin to change in 2014. Watch for an avalanche of apps that take privacy seriously—whether they delete data by default, keep your data local, or limit the scope of their sharing.

Third, enterprise tech is interesting, finally. For years, business software was a dead-end for innovation, dominated as it was by Microsoft, MSFT -0.67% Oracle, ORCL -1.10% and other entrenched incumbents. Now that's changing. In 2013 several alternatives rose to challenge old-school business tech—like Quip, a clever new word-processing app, or Box's collaboration software, Box Notes—and I suspect this trend will continue this year.

One enterprise advance I'm looking forward to: The rise of companies looking to bring cloud-based services to specific, specialized markets—also known as "vertical software-as-a-service" businesses. I'm talking about firms like Veeva Systems, VEEV +0.72% which makes a cloud-based sales tool for the health care industry, and which successfully went public in the fall. Watch for other startups aimed at specific industries—law firms, hospitality, health care—to get really big, without anyone noticing, in 2014.
    01-02-14 10:40 PM
    For the past few weeks, I have got the impression that Chen has realized the importance of the media early on, and intends to use it effectively.
    Just take a look at the number of official announcements that have come out of Waterloo recently.
    This is not the TH-BBRY that we have known.
    JC seems to be making sure that the media keeps getting something or the other positive, to atleast avoid the negative spin that is the norm on 'no news days'.
    A good example is - we didn't see a single headline today claiming that BlackBerry was laying off more people today (Alicia Keys). Wasn't that surprising ?????
    Agree and like
    BUT, do not forget that Chen's got things to announce Thor was busy at building as fast as possible ...
    Thorstend departure timing is really interesting (as I believe anything Chen's announcing now was ready for press release before he came in).
    bungaboy and BlackistheBerry like this.
    01-03-14 02:24 AM
    What is with the share price? Double camel or a lion? LoL
    And blackberry basher s kind of disappearing from this thread? I think so.
    Cyber bullying/manipulation/media trying to destroy a fine company who want to survive. Can it be done?

Yes, I just witnessed with my own eyes.

I am not sure if today's media has the right to complain about NSA?
    Oh well. Who am I to complain? After all, it is business and bullying is a part of it.
    Lol.

Posted using Z30. Best phone in the world.
    Yup: history's inside this thread.
    Besides our take and positions, i believe we've pretty much monitored anything BlackBerry for the last 3 years.
    Add all the S.A (and many other) material I've bookmarked/stored and we have a solid basis for a fact checking book. I hope my calendar will finally fit with my projects ...
    plasmid_boy, rarsen, jxnb and 3 others like this.
    01-03-14 02:37 AM
113,256 ... 23142315231623172318 ...