View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Regarding the question of whether the media is biased, I think one draws a false dichotomy when saying that either the media tells the plain truth about the negative aspects of the company or spreads lies and rumours.

There are a lot of data out there, and the truth is that the media are indeed biased against BlackBerry, partly because it's an easy story, and partly because a lot of them are invested in it now that they have been calling for the end of BlackBerry for so long. A lot of analysts are over committed to the end of BlackBerry, and are not likely to simply say they might be wrong. They are far more likely to choose the data that support the story, and ignore (or not see) the data that either support a positive change, or similar negative data regarding other companies.

Simply put, if there are negatives regarding Samsung, like the recent embarrassment with Knox, many will ignore this because to bash Samsung takes more individual nerve than tapping out another 'BlackBerry is dead' article. Now, if this were to happen to BlackBerry, it would be massive news, and for good reason. Really, the Leaky Knox story should have been bigger, but it just isn't trendy enough.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't think the BlackBerry is dead story can last much longer. There will come a point at which it will be played out. In the meantime, BlackBerry and its loyal fans and investors will have to be patient and ride it out. The hardware and bb10 are damn good, and when actually placed in people's hands, BB10 wins people over.

With all that stock lying around that has been written off, I would love to see a year of continued low prices on the Z10, lower Q10 prices (way lower), and an explosive year for BBM to mend the brand image.

Lastly, we need to keep in mind that although we know of all these negative ads, the vast majority of consumers don't. They don't read this stuff, and don't even know BB10 exists. I see the potential for a great year. Fingers crossed.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 12:52 PM
    BlackBerry BBM Usage Surprisingly Strong In Asia - Forbes

BlackBerry’s messaging app has been available for Apple's AAPL -0.63% iOS and Google's GOOG -0.21% Android devices for more than two months by now. That’s why the post-Christmas app store results are fascinating; this is the busiest app download period of the year and it is unusually slanted towards teen consumers getting their first smartphones. BBM basically showed this week that is is building wide awareness among consumers in several key markets – it managed to pop into Top 5 iPhone download charts of UK and Argentina while hitting Number One in African benchmark countries like Nigeria and South Africa.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-mobidia3.png

Among less Christmas-oriented Asian markets, BBM was the Number 1 iPhone app in the rapidly growing Indonesian market, while clinging to Number 24 in India and Number 60 in Malaysia. This is a solid performance for the app in three major Asian markets. The iPhone users in emerging markets tend to be the most affluent slice of the population and thus form a highly desirable marketing target. But how engaged are consumers? Are they using BBM enough to eventually form an appealing audience for advertisers?

This is where iOS data from Mobidia, exclusively provided for Forbes, yields some fascinating answers. It is no surprise that KakaoTalk has sky-high engagement rate in Korea and China – Kakao is known to be a particularly immersive app in those markets where it has been able to build a decent presence. It’s also expected that LINE’s weekly engagement numbers are rock solid inits core market of Japan; LINE is also putting up strong performance in APAC countries like Indonesia and Malaysia where it has recently had strong traction.

But it is surprising how strong BBM engagement perf is in Asian markets outside China, Korea and Japan. BBM tops 100 minutes in weekly engagement in the “Other APAC” category that is driven by the massive mobile markets of Malaysia, Indonesia and Philippines. That beats engagement levels o the far more heavily marketed LINE, Kakao and WeChat apps. It’s also noteworthy that another Canadian messaging app, Kik, is putting up big numbers in India and APAC countries. Outside of China, Japan and Korea, the two Canadian messaging apps are pulling consumers into heavy usage patterns remarkably effectively, building bases of loyal and engaged followers.

This is going to be one key factor in determining how well BBM and Kik can monetize their user bases in the future.
    12-27-13 12:54 PM
    I am adding xBBM contacts slowly, my daugther who has a Q5 BBM'ed me yesterday to say she added 3 new iPhone users to XBBM. She is on a mission.. Thats my girl!
    Corbu, sidhuk, Korepab and 8 others like this.
    12-27-13 01:15 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20131225_202031.jpg
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20131225_201940.jpg

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    12-27-13 01:18 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131225_202031.jpg 
Views:	1352 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	233865
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131225_201940.jpg 
Views:	1352 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	233866

Wow, I must say that looks siiiick.
    bungaboy, zyben, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    12-27-13 01:36 PM
    We drop 8 percent on low volume and go up 4 on high volume .. if that doesnt spell out manipulation then i dont know what does. On a good note shorts are starting to cover now and i cant wait to get to a point where shorts dont have enough shares shorted to control this stock.

I also agree we wont see 10's again until next ER unless some major news is announced. Next ER could see that 1 billion dollar tax refund so that could be a major reason we see a huge pop at next ER
    Really?????? The stock market is supply and demand. High volume days means there are lots of buyers and the price goes up. Low volume days means there could be lots of Sellers with no buyers and therefore the price drops. Granted it can work the other way, but assuming it is manipulation is well, an assumption....

I see NO signs of manipulation yesterday, a normal pull back after a very fast rise, consolidated and pushed higher today. Why didn't they try to keep or push it down today? Why does it always have to be the manipulation/media when the SP falls but not when it rises? It's still close to that consolidation range I expected back before the open on the 23rd and acting completely normal and positive for the longs.
    12-27-13 01:44 PM
    I was in highschool when blackberry was at its peek. Where it was cool to have a Bbm. When you went to a bar u didn't ask for girls number u asked for there pin. Bbm was almost like known for wheeling girls. It was atleast for the crowd i was hanging around at the time 16-20 year Olds back in 2007. Bbm was the social network, it was bigger then fb. Well atleast in my area of Southern ontario. I'm happy to report that Bbm is still on the rise with the young ground again. I had over 200 Bbm contacts back in 2007 and when I got my z10 i had 17. I'm back up to over 100 so it seems to be making a come back the only key thing is now that Bbry is getting these new users they need to keep them there and using it all day. Once they can do that and find a way to monetize the user base we will be in a good position

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 01:48 PM
    I was in highschool when blackberry was at its peek. Where it was cool to have a Bbm. When you went to a bar u didn't ask for girls number u asked for there pin. Bbm was almost like known for wheeling girls. It was atleast for the crowd i was hanging around at the time 16-20 year Olds back in 2007. Bbm was the social network, it was bigger then fb. Well atleast in my area of Southern ontario. I'm happy to report that Bbm is still on the rise with the young ground again. I had over 200 Bbm contacts back in 2007 and when I got my z10 i had 17. I'm back up to over 100 so it seems to be making a come back the only key thing is now that Bbry is getting these new users they need to keep them there and using it all day. Once they can do that and find a way to monetize the user base we will be in a good position

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry needs our help with that to. I always respond to every that texts me with a BBM lol that way the conversation continues on BBM and it gets them used to using it more.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 02:37 PM
    BlackBerry needs our help with that to. I always respond to every that texts me with a BBM lol that way the conversation continues on BBM and it gets them used to using it more.

Posted via CB10
    I do that too. But I must say this, the android version still needs to be improved. It is definitely not as smooth as I would have liked it to be. If they can fix that part along with adding voice chat and other neat feature, I am going to introduce it to my parents and our family friends.

Tried Bbm video chat and screen share for the first time yesterday. Just brilliant. Screen share was incredibly useful as I was giving my friend a quick tutorial to help him with his new Z10.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 02:49 PM
    BlackBerry faces another year of uncertainty as CEO launches rescue attempt - The Globe and Mail

Nothing that we don't already know, but stilll...

BlackBerry hopes to clean the slate again as it heads into the new year with another lease on life and a leader who believes he can do what his predecessors couldn’t – save the company from a slow death.

After months of painful uncertainty and dismal financial results, BlackBerry is in the hands of chairman and chief executive John Chen who hopes to navigate the company into 2014 with reinvigorated vision.

“I need to go out and convince the world that the fight has now started,” said Chen during a recent media event at the company’s headquarters.

“It’s a long haul journey – no question,” he added.

The odds are stacked against him, but Chen insists he will rebuild the BlackBerry name by chasing the business customers who helped make the company a powerhouse in the smartphone industry.

“It’s really kind of going back to the roots,” he said.

If the situation sounds familiar, that’s because BlackBerry has been here before.

The Waterloo, Ont.-based company has spent the last few years losing the fight for a stronger position in the market as Apple’s iPhone and other smartphones on the Android operating system pulverized its reputation with consumers as a cutting-edge technology developer.

Last January, after two major delays, BlackBerry lifted the curtain on its latest smartphones and operating system in New York, ushering in what it hoped was a new era that would prove naysayers wrong.

But once the dust settled, it was clear the new BlackBerry 10 phones didn’t connect with consumers.

Most of the advertisements sold vague ideas about the phone’s features, and often the products were leaning on the clout left in BlackBerry’s name, rather than promoting features of the phones.

Chen believes BlackBerry executives were lost as they struggled to deliver the new devices.

“In the past when we were a little troubled ... there were too many different paths to see,” he said, reflecting on the days before he started at the company.

“We lost some good valuable market time that people have taken advantage of (and) from this point on the fun for them will be greatly curtailed.”

A few months ago, even BlackBerry executives weren’t this certain about the company’s future.

The smartphone maker looked like it was about to be broken up and sold, or shrunk into a private company, until a group of investors agreed in November to inject $1-billion (U.S.) – enough money for another swing at a recovery.

It was a surprise decision by Fairfax Financial, one of BlackBerry’s largest shareholders, who led the charge to raise the financing, but also a sign that few others were interested.

BlackBerry had spent months shopping around its assets, but was never able to find a suitor. The company’s co-founders Mike Lazaridis and Doug Fregin sidelined their attempted bid, while big players like Facebook were reported to have entertained the possibility before deciding to bow out.

The new financing agreement brought many quick changes to BlackBerry, including the exit of CEO Thorsten Heins and the departure of various other high ranking executives and board members, some who helped build the company to its former heights.

Chen is confident about the direction he’s headed, even though the reality facing the smartphone maker isn’t so optimistic.

The government agencies and companies he’s determined to chase are notoriously loyal, but once they’ve strayed to alternative platforms it’s hard to lure them back, mainly because business contracts are typically long term.

Many customers prefer BlackBerry’s security technology, but even some big Canadian banks and U.S. corporations, have started to defect to alternative offerings from competitors.

According to the latest financial statements, BlackBerry has lost about 68 per cent of its enterprise business customers over the past few years, dropping to 80,000 from about 250,000 at its heights.

To help retain customers, BlackBerry has given away free upgrades and trials to its latest enterprise operating system that last until the end of 2013. After that, it will make a case for customers to start paying for the service.

“We are going to take the technology message out,” Chen said.

“With the last company I ran, I kept the message on for like 10 years. It probably took five years before anybody even listened to me, and it took another five years for people to believe it. You just need to focus.”

Whether or not BlackBerry has time is debatable.

In its most recent quarter, BlackBerry posted a $4.4-billion (U.S.) loss as sales of its smartphones continued to fall. The company also burned through about $1.1-billion in cash, though the total amount in its coffers – which sits at $3.2-billion – was propped up by the Fairfax-led investment and a significant tax return.

On Tuesday, Lazaridis grabbed attention for selling $26-million of BlackBerry shares, a move that came before the tax-loss deadline in Canada, but also lowered his stake below five per cent.

Investors appear optimistic, at least for now, helped by Chen’s determined persona. The company’s badly beaten stock has climbed 24 per cent since its latest financial results were released a week ago. On Tuesday, BlackBerry shares closed at $8.25, up 27 cents, on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

“People are excited today, but we’ll see how patient they are in two more quarters when there probably won’t be any evidence of a turnaround,” said Mike Genovese, an analyst at MKM Partners.

He said BlackBerry will need at least another year before any semblance of a turnaround can materialize, while Chen has said he doesn’t expect the company to become profitable until at least the middle of 2016.

Whether the rest of the world has that sort of patience remains to be seen, and investors are taking a risk holding the stock in their hands, Genevese said.

“Six months from now I’m not so sure investors are going to be as excited as the stock price seems to be telling us right now,” he said.

“The stock is a lottery ticket on the miracle they get something right.”
    Last edited by Corbu; 12-27-13 at 04:11 PM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-27-13 03:59 PM
    Did you ever get that deal from best buy on z30? I need one more and I am looking to buy right out.
    Where are you located? CL Vancouver has one on Bell for $390.00 9/10
    sidhuk likes this.
    12-27-13 05:11 PM
    5 Minutes ago...from the Waterloo Record:

"These Shoes Were Made for Walking"

"Security officers at Blackberry's Waterloo administration offices reported the overnight theft of Mike Lazaridis' iconic patent leather shoes which had been displayed in the company's main lobby since his departure from Blackberry earlier this year. Lazaridis claimed his famous "patents" brought him luck and he left them behind to inspire the hundreds of loyal Blackberry employees who remain working diligently with new CEO John Chen to turn the company back to profitability. Undisclosed sources cite that Chen was not particularly concerned over this minor security compromise as the shoes were on display in a vulnerable area of the front lobby. Grim-faced and slightly embarrassed security officers would not comment when questioned by The Record. An investigation into the theft is ongoing."

Minutes later...the Wall Street Journal Reports:

"Blackberry Patents Compromised in Overnight Security Breach at Waterloo Headquarters"

"Blackberry's iconic patents have been compromised as a result of an overnight security breach at their Waterloo Headquarters. Blackberry employees and CEO John Chen displayed concern that Blackberry co-founder Mike Lazaridis left the patents - and the company - vulnerable to competitors. An investigation has failed to identify those responsible for the massive security breach. Embarrassed insiders fear the situation appears grim for Blackberry and its vaunted security claims."

Hmmmm.....a little practice and it seems anyone can write a WSJ article lol.
    This is great! You are now a "Blogger for the WSJ"!
    12-27-13 05:13 PM
    Did you ever get that deal from best buy on z30? I need one more and I am looking to buy right out.
    Telus on-line for $600 CAD.
    sidhuk likes this.
    12-27-13 05:15 PM
    Should you sell Twitter and buy BlackBerry?

Should you sell Twitter and buy BlackBerry? - MarketWatch
    rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    12-27-13 05:20 PM
    "Won't happen before next ER IMHO".
    Oh you ll be surprised

Posted using Z30. Best phone in the world.
    Oh, you know I'd pay to be wrong

On other news, let's have some BBM joy :

BlackBerry
    Messenger sees healthy iOS downloads, Asian usage 5:52 PM

Two months after BlackBerry (BBRY) officially launched iOS and Android BBM apps, the apps are still appearing the iPhone's top-5 free download rankings for the U.K. and Argentina, and have topped iPhone free download charts in Indonesia, Nigeria, and South Africa. The app has also reached #24 in India.
    Indonesia, Nigeria, and South Africa have long been BlackBerry strongholds. The company's Indian smartphone share has been relatively small.
    Meanwhile, mobile analytics firm Mobidia estimates BBM's weekly usage in markets falling into its "Other Asia-Pac" segment (excludes China, Korea, India, and Japan) is above 100 minutes. That puts it ahead of major rivals such as Tencent's (TCEHY) WeChat, Line, Viber, and Kakao (curiously, no numbers are given for the wildly popular WhatsApp).
    In China, where WeChat claims hundreds of millions of users, Tencent's app fares notably better, sporting average usage above 150 minutes.
    BlackBerry disclosed last week it has added 40M+ registered iOS/Android BBM users since October. However, the company is taking a gradual approach to monetization; CEO John Chen says he expects "reasonably good revenue" from BBM around the FY16 timeframe.

BBRY price at time of publication: $7.30.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 12-27-13 at 05:33 PM.
    12-27-13 05:22 PM
    No surprise here. LoL

Survey: 42% keep their smartphone with them 24/7

December 27, 2013 - 12:57pm MICHAEL OLIVEIRA THE CANADIAN PRESS

TORONTO — If you can’t bear to let your smartphone out of your sight for even a few minutes, you’re not alone.

According to the results of a recently released online poll, almost half of Canadian smartphone owners said they keep their device with them pretty much 24/7.

About 42 per cent of the respondents in the survey, conducted by Harris-Decima for Rogers, said they keep their phone within reach for 90 to 100 per cent of the day.

The average response was 70 per cent of the day, or almost 17 hours.

And when people said they took their phone everywhere, it seems they meant it.

Only one in four respondents said they never take their phone into the washroom, while a similar number said they do so all the time or often. Three in four respondents between 16 and 44 said they do it all the time or often.

Smartphone owners were also asked how often they usually find themselves trying to sneak a peek at the screen in various situations. Just over half of the respondents said they’d check their phone at least once while on a date, while one in four said they’d find a way to see the screen at least once an hour.

Younger daters in particularly said they’d check their phone while out with someone. Nearly 70 per cent of 16- to 29-year-old respondents said they would pull out their device at some point, versus just 23 per cent of those 60 and older.

“Just over half of the respondents said they’d check their phone at least once while on a date, while one in four said they’d find a way to see the screen at least once an hour.

When asked about looking at their phone at work, about one in four said they never do it, a similar number said they do so less often than once every two hours, and nearly half said they check it at least once an hour.

While hanging out with friends, 15 per cent said they wouldn’t look at their phone at all, while 56 per cent said they would at least once an hour.

Pollsters also asked how smartphone owners most used their device to communicate. For respondents between 16 and 29, the average response was that just over half of their communication was typically via text messaging, and just 12 per cent was with phone calls. They also said about 15 per cent was through social media and seven per cent was by emailing.

The users most likely to regularly talk on their smartphones were over 60. On average, they made calls just over 40 per cent of the time to communicate with others, about a quarter of their chatting was via text messaging and 21 per cent was emailing.

The overall average for all the respondents was that 37 per cent of their communication was through texting, 27 per cent by calling, 16 per cent was emailing, nine per cent was through social media, and three per cent via instant messaging.

Canadians were split when asked whether they thought mobile communication would replace most of the physical interactions they would have with people within five years’ time.

About 39 per cent of respondents said they agreed with the idea and the same number disagreed, while 22 per cent weren’t sure.

The survey was conducted with 1,009 people between Nov. 21 and Dec. 2.

The polling industry’s professional body, the Marketing Research and Intelligence Association, says online surveys cannot be assigned a margin of error because they do not randomly sample the population like traditional telephone polls.
    Markymark 23, rarsen and sidhuk like this.
    12-27-13 05:35 PM
    To the point about standards in journalism. There are none anymore. We live in an instant gratification world where despair, destruction, violence, misery, hate and ego are reported daily. This is what sells!

I cancelled cable 4 years ago because of the onslaught of garbage being presented by media and news outlets. I am so much better for it.

The media portrayal of BlackBerry is just one example. Keep kicking them when they are down sells! Just another form of bullying and violence!

And you better not disagree with their stances or they will turn and kick the crap out of the offender then smear his or her face in it and make it a headline for the next week.
    12-27-13 05:47 PM
    so OT
    Im trying to buy a Z30 but it doesn't seem like Rogers sells it off contract :/ where else should I go to buy?
    12-27-13 06:29 PM
    so OT
    Im trying to buy a Z30 but it doesn't seem like Rogers sells it off contract :/ where else should I go to buy?
    Telus..600.00 and then unlock it for 30-40 more.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, sidhuk and slipstream89 like this.
    12-27-13 06:46 PM
    so OT
    Here you go. $600.00 no term, outright purchase.

https://shop.telus.com/blackberry_z3...rry-z30ShopCTA

Unlock for $24.95 USD at cellunlocker.net

http://www.cellunlocker.net/unlock-blackberry-10-os.php
    12-27-13 06:46 PM
    And you better not disagree with their stances or they will turn and kick the crap out of the offender then smear his or her face in it and make it a headline for the next week.
    Oh nooooooooooo !!!
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-27-13 08:09 PM
    Interesting Snapchat issue. Wonder what's next?

Snapchat ignored security hole that lets hackers ID phone numbers | Fox News
    bungaboy and Corbu like this.
    12-27-13 08:18 PM
    You can't on the TSX. Those doing pre/after hours trading in BBRY are trading on NASDAQ. Between their web site and that of your broker you should be able to figure out how to do it for your own situation.
    You can always trade 24hrs online but the trades don't take place until next business day.

TDWaterHouse

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 08:19 PM
    I tried with Ken's help but the local BB manager would not do it. Funny how things worked out but I ended up getting a BNIB Z30 unlocked from a cell store in Vancouver for $430 plus $30 express shipping to Kelowna. This was a private sale through the manager at the store so no sales tax!

Also got one on contract for my Ex. She is very happy with it coming from a Samsung galaxy II.

So three Z30's here )

Wow are those the -5 model? Im down in the states and thinking of switching to the dark side from my q10.. cheapest I've seen for the -5 model is 609 online..

Pounded out on the last great qwerty to rule them all.. Q10
    12-28-13 03:16 AM
    You can always trade 24hrs online but the trades don't take place until next business day.

TDWaterHouse

Posted via CB10
    You mean you can place orders 24/7 but they might not fill until the market opens.. not to confuse anyone

Pounded out on the last great qwerty to rule them all.. Q10
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-28-13 03:17 AM
113,250 ... 23072308230923102311 ...