View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    OT: HALO announced a new CEO today starting on January 6, 2014. The current CEO will stay on the advisory board of the company. Speculation is that this is setting up the company for a buyout and the incoming CEO has been involved in two other buyouts in her career.
    12-18-13 02:29 PM
    I'm on the same path. Once bitten twice shy. Have a load of march calls at various strikes and the recent dip was hurting. Would only be out about 15% profit from the point of max gain when it was sitting at $15.10. Will unload them by EOD. Maybe there is something up for the 20th of Dec though...
    New CEO and some big boys are buying the Jan calls, all good I think. I want to sit tight, but the end of year tax issues work MUCH better for me to book profits this year. It's speculative money for me so I wanted to be greedy
    I should know better. Your call, but your March Calls might be looking good in Jan or Feb if the call buyers are right about something big. They have a lot in the pipeline and could be a take over candidate by a big pharma co, just speculation but who knows why they bought all those calls. .
    12-18-13 02:31 PM
    12-18-13 02:34 PM
    So the author doesn't think that BlackBerry is for the average user...
    For people who just want a phone with a browser and BBM messaging, the device is pretty good. For those who want the peace of mind of real security and don't have time for Facebook (FB), Twitter (TWTR) or YouTube, it's a must have device. I am thinking police forces, security companies, and politicians in many countries.
    And he has a history of calling it wrong on BBRY
    I hold some longer dated calls on BlackBerry as well, a legacy of a bad trade made some time ago and not to be interpreted as any conviction in the company as an investment.
    Seeking Alpha is such a great source of info....
    12-18-13 02:42 PM
    Like everyone else he is just guessing. I think Chen will set the tone and drive the stock price with his performance on the conf call. Under TH, those calls were disasters and it help to punish the stock. Some of it was probably the English language and poor word choices by TH and some of it was that RIM/BBRY is/was terrible at playing the Wall St game. They either didn't care or intentionally ignored the way ER's and conf calls work on the street. They committed cardinal sins such as pre-announcing and then missing even the lower guidance and then always failed to mitigate damage or inspire on the conf call. Spin is spin, but it is important and if Chen gives a positive outlook that is even marginally supported by some decent "facts" I think it will be OK. He's a seasoned pro at this and has to be better than TH so there is hope.
    plasmid_boy, Corbu, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    12-18-13 02:42 PM
    Out of HALO with 125% gains and Honour Morgan. This makes up for 25% of my Blackberry losses although it I will take these gains and put half into BBRY common and half into 2016 BBRY LEAPs at $7 strike after earnings.

Now that I'm out of HALO it will probably get bought out at a 100% premium
    12-18-13 02:45 PM
    As long shorts control the SP no matter how good or bad Er will the SP will tank. What I think happened in last few days that shorts covered few millions in preparation for ER crash. They will short more on Friday as available shares will be plenty. I think that is the only reason SP bounced back little as it did not make sense due to tax loss selling and longs that would wait after seeing ER will drive the price. bit of covering took place and shorting will resume on Friday morning regardless of ER. It will take few quarters before BB turns the profit so shorts still have some time to cover fully.
    12-18-13 02:50 PM
    Out of HALO with 125% gains and Honour Morgan. This makes up for 25% of my Blackberry losses although it I will take these gains and put half into BBRY common and half into 2016 BBRY LEAPs at $7 strike after earnings.

Now that I'm out of HALO it will probably get bought out at a 100% premium
    Haven't you taken enough for the team on BBRY already. If I owned a bunch of HALO, I'd be selling some of those Jan 15 (covered) calls and getting the premium. Get's you to $16.25 already........
    Like everyone else he is just guessing. I think Chen will set the tone and drive the stock price with his performance on the conf call. Under TH, those calls were disasters and it help to punish the stock. Some of it was probably the English language and poor word choices by TH and some of it was that RIM/BBRY is/was terrible at playing the Wall St game. They either didn't care or intentionally ignored the way ER's and conf calls work on the street. They committed cardinal sins such as pre-announcing and then missing even the lower guidance and then always failed to mitigate damage or inspire on the conf call. Spin is spin, but it is important and if Chen gives a positive outlook that is even marginally supported by some decent "facts" I think it will be OK. He's a seasoned pro at this and has to be better than TH so there is hope.
    Well said! It's a long road ahead.
    It's time to promise less and deliver more.
    Speak softly, but carry a big dickk ...I mean stick....
    rarsen, Corbu, Randeman and 4 others like this.
    Not much being said for quite a few pages, so I'll jump in. First, however, good luck Morgan.
    Oh, what a nice sentence. Much better than Thorstens bold statements about how great BB10 is (these kind of statements became ridiculous at some point).

The "new users who are just learning" contains an explanation, that customer still need time to see power of the platform.
    Just wanted to say that Chen seems to choose his words more wisely than Thorsten. I am almost convinced, that BB10 is still the key of Chens strategy. Now he should state, that new BB10 devices will be sold 2014 and everything is OK for me
    None of my business and to each his own but I am reminded of this:
    He also spoke of a 6Q horizon... I wouldn't be surprised if the SP was to go down more for a while yet... but medium term, I am starting to think things are looking up...
    It’s foolish to think that anything Chen could/would want to raise extreme false expectations: No one would listen anyway. Instead, he wants to stop the bleeding, find a plateau for BB (and its share price), and announce yet another in a string of plans to revamp BB.
    How do I do extended hours trading?
    Children shouldn’t play with matches.
    Let me go first...
    I think they will be foolish enough if Chen said "BB 10 will be discontinued" when they still have millions in the inventory....it just the first sign for people to start to dropping BB phone, massive drop on stock price because another inventory write down. They still need good momentum to push BES and BBM to other platform.
    Do it like Thorsten doing with Playbook....say they will give BB10 to Playbook after they sell hundred thousand more than make an excuse...
    Good, sound logic and 99% correct. Right, Chen isn’t going to make any specific announcements about BB10 relative to its curtailment. The inventory alone is enough to make anyone wince and there may still be some value not otherwise available if he announces BB’s exit----even if downplaying BB10 as the future of BB is indeed a medium term goal. (What of current contracts/commitments to mfr more BB10 phones….any news from that end? It may tell the real story.)

Chen simply has to weather this first EA with a 2013 share price closing between $5 � and, with a temporary boost, a short-lived $6 7/8max. There will be a continued loss for BB but probably not a loss that indicates an increased rate over that posted the last two quarters. Notwithstanding the loss inclusive of non-recurring operations and one-time charge offs (inc. payroll) may be huge if the employee chops are accrued in their entirety this quarter. On the other side, this will be buffeted by the non-recurring one-time reclamation of taxes prior paid (i.e., a refund from prior year’s payments)….also a non-recurring or revenue not generated from future operations type cash inflow.

There is no BB plan in place, nor ready, but I’m sure that something can be fashioned during the first (calendar) quarter of 2014. Expect rah-rahs with some scattered apologies but a strong promise for a big party announcement sometime in the next few weeks but after end of the 2013 calendar year. Chen will throw a few bones in order to entice a year-end temporary closing bump.

You are correct. First infantile rebuttal!
    Go easy bungaboy, history weighs very heavily against you on this matter. This must be the thread with the last holdouts and for new penny stock traders.
    Might have to do options
    Who are these people?
    Testing period will virtually never end.

There was a free BES5->BES10 upgrade period until last month (or is this month ?), now BlackBerry is creating a new "software insurance" plan that will allow automatic upgrades. That's something important to keep in mind, somewhere ... But BES comes with 3X 50 (50 per service levels) free 60 days CALs.

BTW, it's Device based licences and I've been wrong about pricing; the price is the same for BB or non BB devices and vary only depending of security/usage levels. (More to come later about this)
    Interesting stuff Superfly.
    It wouldn't have anything to do with 1/3 of the float being short, would it?
    Or the $1-1.25B in cumulative senior debt that translates to $3+/share plus 15 cents/share cumulative per year.
    Blackberry 10 was mentioned in the press release. That is an encouraging sign. This must mean that hardware is going to be an essential part of the enterprise strategy.
    Chen even mentioned BlackBerry 10 just for Cgk!
    See above, the manner in which Chen mentions BB10 was 99% meaningless at this point in time. Chen would be on a fool’s errand were he to announce openly (in the next few months, let alone this month) any BB curtailment from OS10.

Stop reading the press blogs and start looking at the filings and fundamentals….Blackberry isn’t twitter or facebook building a new ship, it's the Titanic trying to convince people to stay on board while plugging the holes and pumping the hold. Confidence is tough to rebuild.
    So the author doesn't think that BlackBerry is for the average user...
    And he has a history of calling it wrong on BBRY Seeking Alpha is such a great source of info....
    Well, there’s hardly any disputing that statement….appears self-evident with BB10 wouldn’t you say??
    The only valid point (by default) here is that Chen is better than Thors. Chen may enhance the tone but the tone has been set; he won't be driving the stock price far. There really is very little, if anything, that Chen can say (on Friday) that will have a positive impact longer than a few days (but obviously he wont be pessimistic and drive the BBRY price down).BB is compania non grata with few options and will have to prove itself by generating free cash from here on out rather than accrual accounting machinations to get any multiples on earnings. But the market makers (and/or 3 institutions) will try to get the word out and boost BBRY shares for end-of-calendar year show/tax postings. (Presumptively, nearly all reputable and material holders of BBRY intending to sell in 2013 have sold.)

Ho-hum, we discuss again the fundamentals as presented way back in early June: No BB10 unit sales (and large returns), No free cash flow, and obviously No earnings. And the analysts, most catching up in late summer, but all Today: Same as June/July but add No/limited BB support personnel, no/limited BB in-process development;
    PLUS
    $1-1.25B in senior debt with junk bond cumulative interest attached and essentially non-recallable. That is, BBRY has added since June the ball and chain of a $3-4/share that leaves current shareholders with likely $0 should there be a liquidation sale ($2 expectation’s premium built into BBRY at present).

Now, forgetting the filings, here again are the Basics: Until we have a sighting of a BB10 phone on the street, this BBRY puppy has a penny stock mentality that is going no where but sideways, with small spikes here and there, but the pressure is still pushing down with 3-4 institutions fighting to keep BBRY over $5. Still, that’s not to say that a spike here and there can’t be profitable. Look for Thursday BBRY volume and price volatility as a clue to Friday’s news.
    Last edited by M65c02; 12-18-13 at 07:02 PM.
    12-18-13 03:25 PM
    Haven't you taken enough for the team on BBRY already. If I owned a bunch of HALO, I'd be selling some of those Jan 15 (covered) calls and getting the premium. Get's you to $16.25 already........
    It was all 100% on March call options at $10, $12.50 and $15 strikes. Got in at SP $11.60 (sept 27) and again at SP $9.80 after (Oct 8), and rode it from there.

I've taken a huge beating in BBRY because a lot of call options didn't pan out. So I'll go back to long term view and buy Jan 2016 calls, and stock. I think the bottom was either $5.50 or it will bottom before the end of the year on tax loss selling coupled with a bad ER. Really...how low can it go next year?
    OMGitworks likes this.
    12-18-13 03:53 PM
    12-18-13 04:13 PM
    This might finaly erase the rumor that blackberry fired simply fired marketing staff, and wouldn't hire anybody
    12-18-13 04:22 PM
    One word to describe all of John Chen's hirings so far...enterprise!!
    plasmid_boy likes this.
    12-18-13 04:24 PM
    Not much being said for quite a few pages, so I'll jump in. First, however, good luck Morgan.

It’s foolish to think that anything Chen could/would want to raise extreme false expectations: No one would listen anyway. Instead, he wants to stop the bleeding, find a plateau for BB (and its share price), and announce yet another in a string of plans for BB.
    Children shouldn’t play with matches.
    Good, sound logic and 99% correct. Right, Chen isn’t going to make any specific announcements about BB10 relative to its curtailment. The inventory alone is enough to make anyone wince and there may still be some value not otherwise available if he announces BB’s exit----even if that is a BB medium term goal. (What of current contracts/commitments to mfr more BB10 phones….any news from that end.)

Chen simply has to weather this first EA with a 2013 share price closing between $5 � and, with a temporary boost, $6 7/8. There will be a continued loss for BB but probably not a loss that indicates an increased rate over that posted the last two quarters. Notwithstanding the loss inclusive of non-recurring operations and one-time charge offs (inc. payroll) may be huge if the employee chops are accrued in their entirety this quarter. On the other side, this will be buffeted by the non-recurring one-time reclamation of taxes prior paid (i.e., a refund from prior year’s payments)….also a non-recurring or revenue not generated from future operations type cash inflow.

There is no BB plan in place, nor ready, but I’m sure that something can be fashioned during the first (calendar) quarter of 2014. Expect rah-rahs with some scattered apologies but a strong promise for a big party announcement sometime in the next few weeks but after end of the 2013 calendar year. Chen will throw a few bones in order to entice a year-end temporary closing bump.

Go easy bungaboy, history weighs very heavily against you on this matter. This must be the thread with the last holdouts and for new penny stock traders.
    Who are these people?
    Interesting stuff Superfly.
    Or the $1-1.25B in cumulative senior debt that translates to $3+/share plus 15 cents/share cumulative per year.
    See above, the manner in which Chen mentions BB10 was 99% meaningless at this point in time. Chen would be on a fool’s errand were he to announce openly (in the next few months, let alone this month) any BB curtailment from OS10.

Stop reading the press blogs and start looking at the filings and fundamentals….Blackberry isn’t twitter or facebook building a new ship, it's the Titanic trying to convince people to stay on board while plugging the holes and pumping the hold. Confidence is tough to rebuild.

Well, there’s hardly any disputing that statement….appears self-evident with BB10 wouldn’t you say??
    The only valid point (by default) here is that Chen is better than Thors. Chen may enhance the tone but the tone has been set; he won't be driving the stock price far. There really is very little, if anything, that Chen can say (on Friday) that will have a positive impact longer than a few days (but obviously he wont be pessimistic and drive the BBRY price down).BB is compania non grata with few options and will have to prove itself by generating free cash from here on out rather than accrual accounting machinations to get any multiples on earnings. But the market makers (and/or 3 institutions) will try to get the word out and boost BBRY shares for end-of-calendar year show/tax postings. (Presumptively, nearly all reputable and material holders of BBRY intending to sell in 2013 have sold.)

Ho-hum, we discuss again the fundamentals as presented way back in early June: No BB10 unit sales (and large returns), No free cash flow, and obviously No earnings. And the analysts, most catching up in late summer, but all Today: Same as June/July but add No/limited BB support personnel, no/limited BB in-process development;
    PLUS
    $1-1.25B in senior debt with junk bond cumulative interest attached and essentially non-recallable. That is, BBRY has added since June the ball and chain of a $3-4/share that leaves current shareholders with likely $0 should there be a liquidation sale ($2 expectation’s premium built into BBRY at present).

Now, forgetting the filings, here again are the Basics: Until we have a sighting of a BB10 phone on the street, this BBRY puppy has a penny stock mentality that is going no where but sideways, with small spikes here and there, but the pressure is still pushing down with 3-4 institutions fighting to keep BBRY over $5. Still, that’s not to say that a spike here and there can’t be profitable. Look for Thursday BBRY volume and price volatility as a clue to Friday’s news.
    Interesting analysis/review; thanks for sharing.
    Not sure what to take from that except a "status quo would be victory" feeling.

Chen alone can't do much, except being a better showman then Thor and refine a strategy and short term measurable targets.
    IMHO BlackBerry MUST return to guidance figures and tag the future with check points; that's how you gain confidence back: plan-execute-deliver.on.time.

[Rabbit in the hat zone - all this is pure speculation]
    Any sign of endorsement, deal, partnership or (better) investment with/in BlackBerry could be a very positive sign. I'm still smelling something may come. I'm still no clear with MSFT position as last words I've heard about it (office365 and BES / BES SAAS) was either vague or understatement. Still no clear either about SAP as their BYOD strategy may be shaked a bit by Oracle's recent acquisition of Bitzer (Oracle gets enterprise mobile management with Bitzer buy). Both (and many more; CISCO, LG, SONY ...) may enter the game and stamp future with a brighter perspective. Who's gonna get the $250 Mill ? Why aren't they caught already ?
    [/Rabbit in the hat zone]

I must admit that volume and price will be interesting. I for one pray for low volumes (it won't be) and WS leaving BBRY alone for a while.
    But my eyes will be on these $250Mill and/or partnership announcement.
    Any of the company I named above - or similarly reputed - aboard and we might have some funky times.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    12-18-13 04:25 PM
    This might finaly erase the rumor that blackberry fired simply fired marketing staff, and wouldn't hire anybody
    One word to describe all of John Chen's hirings so far...enterprise!!
    Two, actually
    Sybase and SAP.
    The close guard is here; get ready for some serious shakeup.
    Thorsten said heads could fall. These guys sleep with a machete.
    12-18-13 04:28 PM
    PSDV, another Morgan call, is up about 45% after hours. Looks like they got good news from FDA for Christmas. No more tests needed. FDA will accept data from Europe and possibly give a decision in January. Looks pretty positive.
    Thanks again Morgan - almost back to even with PSDV. Hope Chris kept his options.
    plasmid_boy, rarsen, Corbu and 5 others like this.
    12-18-13 04:35 PM
    That's a long question !
    I'll try to summarize

1. Secure environment V.S secured apps (containers)
    Most (all, AFAIK) alternative offers will offer to create containers to execute an app securely. Balance offers an environment container, where business apps and data are stored all together but, for features like hub, you can merge personnal and work data in a single environment; you only have to provide your work password to interact with. These environment containers are the single waterproof solution to prevent data to be shared, corrupted or leaked between work and personal.
    Of course, it also prevent problems of compromised OS (say, key logger, for instance).

2. OS centric security
    It's not a mystery: Windows platform is a virus/trojan nest. Problem is that if you have a combo like desktop+tablet+phone and have granted rights for these environments to interact, then your exposition to malware is greatly increased. Plugged to an infected computer, your smartphone is vulnerable.

3. TCO (total cost of ownership) & integration
    BES offers a multi-platform integrated environment, as of date the only able to manage BB10 devices (besides Fixmo, where there's a license agreement for DOD) and iOs and Android devices. Competitors often integrates several layers to offer a global (without BB) offer. This multi-layer architecture requires more time, more efforts for a seamless (and costless) integration.

That's what I remind ... but I'm no BES salesman !

ah ! by the time (tongue out) I wrote this, I got this in my mailbox. Really worse a read !

How BlackBerry Balance works
    Potential BYOD legal issues you may not have thought of
    Windows is vulnerable if the users has administrative rights over the machine, in a enterprise environment where machines are locked down the OS is secure and used everywhere.

I think It's good to divide MDM in two alternatives, BYOD and company provided devices.

BYOD
    BB10 and Balance are irrelevant because the product failed in the consumer market and no new efforts are expected in that direction. Everything comes down as how good is BES10 managing iOS and Android devices compared to other solutions. (I didn't understand your layer argument).

Devices provisioned by companies
    If a company gives BB10 phones to employees they are going to keep their iPhones or Android phones for personal use. So what's the point of BB10, lets give them completely locked down iPhones so they can improve their productivity using the same system in both phones. And they are going to use tablets, convertibles and laptops to access company resources also, and BB10 is not a solution for that anyways. So again all comes down to how good is BES10 in managing iOS, Android and Windows (which is not supported now).

I think Microsoft is the main rival because they can sell a more complete solution to manage: Identity, servers, cloud, laptops, mobile devices (iOS, Android and Windows). And they have services and software to sell on top of this solution that allows them to subsidize the cost of devices and MDM as a path to sell those products. For example, I understand cost of the Intune CAL is lower than BES10 and is by user up to 5 devices, BES10 is by device.
    12-18-13 06:02 PM
    OT: Anyone here still holding onto IAG/IMG?
    12-18-13 06:34 PM
    Yes I have a lot of IMG...almost as bad as BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 06:47 PM
    Nope. Continue to watch it and gold waiting for a good run but it looks like it could be a bit yet. Now that IMG has suspended their dividend, gold is going to need a good jump in order to attract investors.
    Shanerredflag and JLagoon like this.
    12-18-13 07:41 PM
    Hi JLagoon!!

You have to hold down the fort for me here as I'm just leaving for surgery. I'll try to keep up with BlackBerry in the days ahead.
    Have a Merry Christmas everyone starting with some promising news this Friday! Cheers!!
    Morgan, Hope your surgery going well for you and speedy recovery. Best wishes to you and your family. Thank You for all your help, Have a very Merry Christmas and Healthy Year. See you soon.

Dec-11-2013-IMG_2633-Edit-Edit.jpg by VaVa Photo, on Flickr
    12-18-13 08:14 PM
    Wish everyone to have a Healthy and Prosperity Year.
    Merry Christmas.

Dec-08-2013-IMG_2550.jpg by VaVa Photo, on Flickr
    12-18-13 08:22 PM
    Shine on all you crazy diamonds.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, BergerKing, jxnb and 2 others like this.
    12-18-13 09:01 PM
    So all in all, we're better this time around, aren't we? !

Posted via CB10
    One can truly hope.
    12-18-13 09:19 PM
113,256 ... 22832284228522862287 ...