View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Looks like alot of the sector is down over 6% ACAD, XOMA, HALO
    Chart wise like morgan said everytime HALO breaks under the 30 day moving average there is usually a rally after, last 2 trading days we were right above the 30 MA and today we fell under. Possibly a rally coming, im hoping for one since my options expire next week!

I can't remember if those rallies were sparked by news though

Ot. So tempted to get back into HALO, morgan I was wondering about your thoughts on this ?
    take99 likes this.
    12-11-13 02:20 PM
    Anyone think yesterday hit a support level? Around 5.60?

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 02:31 PM
    Ot. So tempted to get back into HALO, morgan I was wondering about your thoughts on this ?
    I did buy some more today, just a few minutes ago, I had sold some HALO shares and covered other shares with Calls but today it is back at the 40-dma and that point ($ 12.98/shr) has proven to be a good buying point. I bought at $ 12.80/shr thinking we could snap back from here. The general market looks weak and we might not see much support until the last week of the month. This is a crazy period, we see tax loss selling, profit-taking and weaker volumes at the same time. GL
    sidhuk, Randeman, bungaboy and 5 others like this.
    12-11-13 02:43 PM
    12-11-13 02:48 PM
    Why is it dropping again

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 02:52 PM
    Why is it dropping again

Posted via CB10
    DOW JONES - DOWN 137 pts, everything is RED, DOW closing at the lows with no bounce.

BBRY is holding up well under those conditions.
    Corbu, cjcampbell, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    12-11-13 02:58 PM
    The bar is so low now .............................

Globe says BlackBerry shareholders brace for "disaster"

2013-12-11 08:48 ET - In the News

The Globe and Mail reports in its Wednesday edition BlackBerry shares dropped to a 10-year low Tuesday in advance of what is expected to be a brutal earnings report. The Globe's Sean Silcoff writes at the intraday low, the stock traded on the Nasdaq Stock Market at a level not seen since September, 2003. On the Toronto Stock Exhange, meanwhile, shares closed at $6.32, up 21 cents. New data from Nasdaq showed that investors continue to bet heavily against the stock. As of the end of November, more than 150 million shares -- more than one-quarter of the float -- were held in a short position, meaning they had been sold by investors who expected to buy the stock back at a lower price. Analysts said investors are likely focused on the company's third-quarter earnings release on Dec. 20, which is expected to be ugly: Analysts polled by Bloomberg expect the company to lose 41 cents a share, down from a two-cent profit in the same period a year earlier. Revenue is expected to decline by 42 per cent year-over-year to come in at $1.59-billion due to continued weak sales for the company's poorly received BlackBerry 10 smart phones. "The quarter is going to be a disaster," said Kris Thompson at National Bank.
    sidhuk, bungaboy, jxnb and 7 others like this.
    12-11-13 03:24 PM
    Thought there were some tidbits worth our collective while in this piece.

Sorry for the long quote. I had to copy and paste since the link doesn't seem to work properly:
    Byod not a given, even as black berry flounders - Waters Technology

BYOD Not a Given, Even as BlackBerry Flounders

There was a time in the not-too-distant past when BlackBerry dominated on Wall Street. As the Apple iPhone — and to a lesser extent, Android — gains ground, though, firms are advancing bring-your-own-device (BYOD) strategies, even as some pull back.

BYOD strategies have been popping up around the industry over the last two years. But even with this groundswell, it's not an inevitability that BYOD will come to a trading firm near you.

"We're now at the point where, in certain parts of the world but not necessarily in the US, we're moving away from bringing your own device, back to fully managed corporate devices," Stefan Ott, global head of distribution IT for UBS Global Asset Management, told the audience at a panel discussion on mobility at yesterday's Waters USA conference.

While UBS AM originally provided BlackBerrys to employees, Ott said that his concentration is now almost exclusively on Apple's iPhone, with the possibility of Android compatibility coming a year or so down the road.

Tony Lalli, solutions architect at BNY Mellon, notes that BlackBerry's decline has brought up the subject of vendor lock-in. But that has also led to a redoubled effort to develop a firm-wide BYOD strategy, because iPhones don't come cheap.

"When we look at BlackBerry and its pending demise, or whatever we want to say there, obviously there's a business continuity issue there as well," Lalli said. "If you run your business on BlackBerry and it goes away—oops. So what is that next generation? Apple is not a cheap device, so you have to have a return on investment (ROI) because it's a little bit harder to justify from a corporate-owned perspective. Obviously, BYO is the strategy here."

According to Lalli, BYOD will evolve to the point where employees will actually own two phones on their own. Considering that people own a phone for two or three years before upgrading to the newest version or the latest-and-greatest from another supplier, employees will choose to keep their old phone for work purposes and the new model for personal use, or vice versa.

"There's also a fallacy in these spaces in that BYO automatically means that you're going to put personal content on a corporate device," he said. "Over time I think you're going to get the next greatest device where the old one isn't necessarily out of date, so you may end up with two devices, whether you liked it or not. Now I can use one as a corporate device and wipe it without wiping pictures of grandma."

Lalli said BNY Mellon, like UBS, has turned its focus to Apple, but also acknowledged that Apple hasn't embraced a dual-container model. As for Android, there are security concerns.

From a financial services security perspective, BlackBerry at its best is still a highly desirable phone when compared to the iPhone or Android, which were built for non-business consumers.

Nathan Boylan, head of IT at Lord Abbett & Co., asked, "Don't we all wish that BlackBerry had just copied the iPhone?" "Even better,” added Graham Hill, senior vice president at Citi, “who wants BlackBerry to work on your iPhone?"

Both statements received laughs and nods of heads from the audience.

Success in this realm means that firms become device-agnostic, Boylan said. There will always be a horse race among device distributors, so it's important to stay as flexible as possible.

"The industry is moving toward device-agnostic solutions," he said. "It's the only way to be successful because there are just too many devices, too many options. It's creating a little bit of a quandary in supporting these devices, from a corporate perspective. On one hand we have a far more educated end user, which is self-supporting to a large extent, which has been great. On the other hand, we're now supporting beyond the four walls of our corporate infrastructure."

The Bottom Line
    • There certainly seems to be a push–pull effect unfolding when it comes to BYOD. Firms are happy with their workers having increased mobility. It helps with disaster recovery and, at its best, it makes people more efficient.
    • It was intriguing that Ott of UBS Global Asset Management said that his firm is pulling back on BYOD, which is a relatively new development. While many firms are pressing ahead, it will be interesting to see if others decide to bail on the strategy due to security concerns or logistical headaches.[/FONT]
    12-11-13 03:25 PM
    "Revenue is expected to decline by 42 per cent year-over-year to come in at $1.59-billion due to continued weak sales for the company's poorly received BlackBerry 10 smart phones."

Ouch!
    Last edited by Corbu; 12-11-13 at 03:52 PM.
    12-11-13 03:31 PM

Globe says BlackBerry shareholders brace for "disaster"

2013-12-11 08:48 ET - In the News

The Globe and Mail reports in its Wednesday edition BlackBerry shares dropped to a 10-year low Tuesday in advance of what is expected to be a brutal earnings report. The Globe's Sean Silcoff writes at the intraday low, the stock traded on the Nasdaq Stock Market at a level not seen since September, 2003. On the Toronto Stock Exhange, meanwhile, shares closed at $6.32, up 21 cents. New data from Nasdaq showed that investors continue to bet heavily against the stock. As of the end of November, more than 150 million shares -- more than one-quarter of the float -- were held in a short position, meaning they had been sold by investors who expected to buy the stock back at a lower price. Analysts said investors are likely focused on the company's third-quarter earnings release on Dec. 20, which is expected to be ugly: Analysts polled by Bloomberg expect the company to lose 41 cents a share, down from a two-cent profit in the same period a year earlier. Revenue is expected to decline by 42 per cent year-over-year to come in at $1.59-billion due to continued weak sales for the company's poorly received BlackBerry 10 smart phones. "The quarter is going to be a disaster," said Kris Thompson at National Bank.
    As down as I am on BBRY, I think there's value the closer we approach market cap levels and if the Company can express a viable/transparent business model.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-11-13 03:42 PM
    Congrats are due to Randeman with CYTR up 75% today!
    Warning: OT
    Thanks Take. Unfortunately, I fell victim to yesterday's bear raid on CYTR and I caved and sold. Partly due to the bear raid and because I discovered Baker Brothers had sold off their position. Didn't want another PSDV scenario. Anyway, I'm extremely happy for the company because their product allows them to safely(relatively) triple a chemo dosage with less side effects than the regular drug. Good things coming from them. I'll watch closely and probably buy back in when my 30 days expire. Learning lots about catalysts, ERs, etc. and the wild things that can happen. Dunno why it always costs to learn.

Back on topic.
    Primed and ready for BlackBerry ER. Expecting big things from John Chen, news-wise, that is. GLTA

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 05:02 PM
    OT this morning at my office in Seattle a white hen was in the front door trying to get in
    Attachment 229086
    so we put her in a box gave here some cookies(no chicken feed here) and water
    Attachment 229087
    took some pictures
    Attachment 229088
    then she laid an egg

happy day gang
    At least the little clucker could have laid a golden egg!!!
    Soumaila Somtore and sidhuk like this.
    12-11-13 05:09 PM
    Might even be a mother clucker.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 05:17 PM
    I hope the next one is Golden.
    At least the little clucker could have laid a golden egg!!!
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    12-11-13 05:40 PM
    I hope the next one is Golden.
    That's what she said.... didn't care for the brown kind

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 06:15 PM
    1:30 am here for one of my silly thoughts of the night. "The worst the E.R is trumpeted now, the better". If you believe I'm masochistic, you're perfectly right (semantically speaking, of course).

Night all !

Visit my BBM Channel !
    12-11-13 06:33 PM
    What did people think of Chris Umiastowski's latest article? he writes off bb10 entirely.

Citi slaps a sell rating on BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com
    12-12-13 01:01 AM
    What did people think of Chris Umiastowski's latest article? he writes off bb10 entirely.

Citi slaps a sell rating on BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com
    He's basically echoing the Citi analyst and add some positive on BBM.
    Yet I believe he forgot BES as SAAS.
    I was not very happy to read this on CB frontpage, if you ask me.

My "answer"
    BES10 as SAAS may be the key to gain markets no one targets today. More, I believe that "prosumers" will find value in a secure management and storage environment. BlackBerry added "affordable" and "easy" where the words "administrators" and "expensive " are the norm.
    In the same move, they offer BYOD/MDM and enhanced security/privacy to enterprises/prosumers that would not even think about it.
    Using carriers (T-mobile as a start) sales force where their team have been shrinking is also an unexpected trick, I must say : very, very well done. We were used to BIS V.S BES... now BlackBerry is offering a single high grade service, available for everyone, company or Joe. For the price of a coffee/month.
    I for one would agree to pay much more than that to keep my mobile-related stuff in BlackBerry's safe. Anytime.
    jxnb, rarsen, Randeman and 5 others like this.
    12-12-13 03:19 AM
    Hi,
    I am just planning my next app. Because BlackBerry wants to shift to the "Prosumer" sector, I think about a productivity app. I have in mind an app which helps in a very common every-day usecase, for people who work in teams (no details here ). I found two apps in BB-World which where similar to the app I am planning. Both were Android ports. One was completely useless, maybe designed for tablets, buttons unusable small. The other app worked, but did not make use of the BB10 framwork and this adds so many unnecessary steps for the user, that the app will not boost productivity for sure.

This shows the dilemma. With a new focus on "prosumer" and productivity, the platform offers more or less useless android ports, while a wonderful framework is in place to make the best productivity apps of the planet - but it is not used.

It's the invocation framework and the "flow", the abilty to access content and services of other apps, which makes BB10 unique. This is so well implemented in BB10 and it is extremely easy to make this kind of apps, especially productivity apps by using this framework. Unfortunally BB10 ships only with the basic set of productivity-apps. No mind blowing super-apps, I was hoping for.

And unfortunally almost nobody is talking about this anymore. Flow, what is it? I see so much excitement about 10.2.1 and the Android APK.
    installation feature. And game reviews here at crackberry all the time.
    So it's no surprise, that people are asking, what makes BB10 different. The answers are mostly, oh well, we have a hub and a nice keyboard, and somehow security. And a lot of games and now Android apps.
    Sorry, this doe's not make the difference, really.

When BB wants to stay with BB10 as a "Prosumer" device, they need to focus on theire own f***ing brilliant framework an bring the best productivity apps to this platform. If necessary, make them inhouse. No begging for Android ports and Games every other platform has too. The own framework makes the difference, IMHO.

I would like to make this app, i was talkin about, now, but I am not sure if Chen really sticks with BB10. Most likely yes, but a who knows. I first want to know more about his strategy.

(sounds like a rant again, sorry)
    jxnb, rarsen, Randeman and 6 others like this.
    12-12-13 03:39 AM
    Well, that means we just needed something to raise the bar.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-efwkokr.jpg

Woo.
    12-12-13 04:43 AM
    Georg, I appreciate your perspective! It is a shame that BlackBerry still offers nothing else than this waiting-room to you. I wonder however, that even if BlackBerry maybe lost some customers at the BES front, how the hell could they convince any of the bigger players to upgrade after Q2? I still want to belive, that this was not only because they were offering themselves for cheap, but they had some very convincing arguments, that they not only offer the best solution, but that they will stay a trusty partner for the long term. What I would like to see now, is that Chen really puts priority in this confidence-building. Show everybody the long-term strategy and show how they are able to follow this strategy even under worst conditions. I am with you, that this includes putting full light on the hardware strategy. It is not enough to pretend that they need it as part of their security concept. BlackBerry has to show how beeing in the hardware business can also work with selling much less then tens of millions devices.
    12-12-13 06:32 AM
    General NSA information in relation with Google cookies:
    .NSA using Google cookies, app location data to track targets | ZDNet
    Randeman, bungaboy, Corbu and 8 others like this.
    12-12-13 07:37 AM
    Not a bad read on the subject of BES 10:
    BlackBerry BES: Hey, biz bod, fancy an upgrade on that RIM job... for FREE? • The Register

Excerpt:
    ... With a footprint inside almost every decent-sized company, and across huge swathes of the public sector and military, it is really up to the Canadian firm to lose this business. BYOD is proving to be pretty expensive and BlackBerry feels - with some justification - that its MDM (Mobile Device Management) answer to this is the best in the business.

Last week the company showed off new apps that provide managed sandboxes inside an iOS or Android device. We took a look at them this week and found them to be surprisingly slick. No iOS user is going to feel uncomfortable with the look and feel of the iOS Secure Workspace Container. On Android, it can take over your home button - so the user feels at home.
    12-12-13 07:55 AM
    uh oh..
    Ryan Seacrest wants to turn your iPhone 5s into a BlackBerry | MobileSyrup.com
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-typo.jpg

Shipping in January, 2014, the Typo Keyboard is a slip case for the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s that features a battery powered, fretted keyboard, seemingly ripped from a BlackBerry smartphone. Typo�s mission statement is to eliminate the two-smartphone need most business professionals face: a QWERTY smartphone for correspondence and an iPhone for �virtually everything else.�
    12-12-13 07:55 AM
    12-12-13 07:58 AM
113,256 ... 22692270227122722273 ...