Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    12-05-13 05:04 AM
    12-05-13 07:36 AM
    BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 Hosted Service Now Available on the UK Government's G-Cloud Programme

(They were going to put it on the G-Spot, but nobody could find it)

BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 Hosted Service Now Available on the UK Government's G-Cloud Programme - Yahoo Finance
    12-05-13 08:21 AM
    From Millennial Media (an Ad company), their 3rd Q by Impressions. Interestingly BlackBerry is ranked #3.

S.M.A.R.T.? Report | Millennial Media
    Randeman, Komoto and bungaboy like this.
    12-05-13 09:20 AM
    Sooooo... wtf, mate?

Last edited by morlock_man; 12-05-13 at 09:34 AM.
    12-05-13 09:24 AM
    I know some of you don't go out into the other forums, this is worth a look:

The Rise and Fall of BlackBerry: An Oral History - Businessweek
    lcjr, rarsen, OMGitworks and 1 others like this.
    12-05-13 09:51 AM
    These reactions are why I reject the idea that BB10 is a failed OS. A failed phone would be one that people use and hate, and don't recommend to others (I'm remembering the Curve, specifically). BlackBerry should do everything to get these phones out there, and get people hooked on working with BB10 now. Your agency isn't going to upgrade for a while? That's ok, have some cheap Z10s. Their heads will explode.
    In business, a product is a failure if it doesn't make you money. It can be a great product that may live on after you closed the doors - but that doesn't do you much good.

Of course I see the STORM as a failure, and it made BlackBerry a ton of money in the short term. It also poisoned many peoples view of BlackBerry, and showed exactly how far behind what Apple and Android were doing that BlackBerry was.

Think that BB10 is a very good OS, and is getting better all the time. But I think the the BB10 platform has been a failure so far...
    And there is no doubt that the hardware has been a failure - partly due to pricing, but ultimately due to the platform limitations.

Fortunately failure tends to breed change and in some cases will lead to success later on.
    12-05-13 10:43 AM
    BB10's real failure has been in mindshare.

I figure they're like the nerdy kid who'd get bullied in high school. Sure, Apple and Android are cooler and got invited to all the best parties, but at the end of the day they'll both end up working for BlackBerry.

^I wanna see Chen pull this off.
    sidhuk, bungaboy and Randeman like this.
    12-05-13 11:16 AM
    BB10's real failure has been in mindshare.
    Except they had the mindshare - where do you think the term 'crackberry' comes from? They had it and they blew it with mistakes... which the media then picked up on.

In other news, are we going to see a new 52 week low today?
    12-05-13 11:19 AM
    They are selling Z10's from between $ 200 - $ 500 worldwide and they are off the books in terms of cost. So again, do those Z10's make up for a period when the company was for sale?
    Morgan I read this yesterday but didn't have time to come back to it until now. I do not think this is correct. In my business (coffee), we have 3 ways to value our inventory. Cost, Expected Sales value, marked to market, the one our bankers like the most is "marked to market". But even this one is subject to some fudging if we wanted to.

As I understood the filing, BlackBerry wrote down their inventory not wrote it OFF. In GAAP there is no reason to write off inventory that has any real value. I believe what happened was initially BlackBerry had this inventory valued at the prices they were selling the new phones to their carrier partners. Apparently though, the sell through price dropped quickly and with the retail channel full, BlackBerry found themselves with limited sell through and had to take substantial write down of the value of the inventory. If they did this they might have gotten in front of the reductions and exacerbated them for reasons amply discussed in this forum I won't belabor them, however, the assumption that the phones currently are valued to zero on BlackBerry's books IMHO is just wrong, and would not be in line with GAAP.
    12-05-13 11:25 AM
    12-05-13 11:26 AM
    Except they had the mindshare - where do you think the term 'crackberry' comes from? They had it and they blew it with mistakes... which the media then picked up on.

In other news, are we going to see a new 52 week low today?
    Their focus on mindshare was never on the same level as Apple or Google.

What was the size of Apple's mindshare prior to the launch of the iPhone? They had a whole line up of customers addicted to their iPod and Macs already.

Android has the advantage of being favored by the more technologically inclined who want to be able to do more things with their device. The linux community is more likely to adopt Android than iOS.

They market they grabbed up was not the market BBRY was targeting. They never really lost their customer-base, their opponents just grew faster by targeting a different market demographic.

Now they're coming back onto BBRY's territory to finish them off at the enterprise level. They only problem being that they can't honestly compete in that arena, only put up the appearances of competition.

As more commerce becomes digital, the trusted computing base will win out over some nebulous 'cool factor'.

Edit: New low on no news? Wtf?
    sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    12-05-13 11:30 AM
    Did I miss an announcement? we hit $5.91 there for a minute.
    12-05-13 11:30 AM
    In business, a product is a failure if it doesn't make you money. It can be a great product that may live on after you closed the doors - but that doesn't do you much good.
    Thanks for the thought, ScaleMaster34, I appreciate that perspective. For me, I think it's important to delineate between a product that fails to do what it is supposed to do, vs a good product that fails to gain marketshare. Otherwise a company might draw the wrong conclusions about where changes and improvements need to be made.

For me, in the U.S., BlackBerry has overwhelmingly failed in marketing BB10, its changes, and its capabilities. At the same time, they've created an OS that impresses non-BlackBerry and legacy BlackBerry users, once they actually see it. I have seen zero evidence that they need to abandon the platform, but all the evidence in the world that they have informed virtually no one of what the new platform can do.
    Randeman and Corbu like this.
    12-05-13 11:31 AM
    Did I miss an announcement? we hit $5.91 there for a minute.
    From Nov 25 article:

BlackBerry Ltd., Potash Corp. , Barrick Gold among unlucky stocks bound for bruising in tax-loss selling | Financial Post
    bungaboy, Reed Richards and jxnb like this.
    12-05-13 11:50 AM
    At a market cap of $3.1 billion, it sounds like the market is saying that the only things BlackBerry has of value are patents and real estate. It sounds like they think BlackBerry will burn through every dollar it has, and that BBM, BES 10, BB10 have virtually zero value.

Is there really virtually no upside priced into this stock at all? Has all the negativity been priced in, or can it still drop significantly?

I know it can still drop significantly, just wondering the likelihood...
    Corbu likes this.
    12-05-13 11:50 AM
    I'll go against the grain and state I disagree with the whole "go after the hip generation" theory. This may be boring, but Blackberry is a professional business asset. They should have social icons such as wealthy business men toting assorted Blackberry devices accomplishing great deals and making decissions that effect the nation(s). With software that is yet to be cracked by NSA (as of yet??), advertizing music coming out of the device is a little degrading. How about Blackberry demonstrating how their software and devices are being used to run BIG things by BIG people. Just a thought........
    bungaboy, Corbu, dusdal and 3 others like this.
    12-05-13 12:03 PM
    In business, a product is a failure if it doesn't make you money.
    Well, by that simplistic measure, very very few products have ever started out as anything but failures.

You might want to factor in some sort of time frame over which you want measure whether you've "made money". Without that, unless you have zero costs for developing the product in the first place, or you are selling a unique item which immediately brings in more than your cost to produce it, then you are a failure from the moment you make your first sale. Doh!
    12-05-13 12:09 PM
    Why must we see red again???

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 12:16 PM
    Has someone had a sneeky peak at the ER? Is that driving the market today?
    take99 likes this.
    12-05-13 12:16 PM
    I'll go against the grain and state I disagree with the whole "go after the hip generation" theory. This may be boring, but Blackberry is a professional business asset. They should have social icons such as wealthy business men toting assorted Blackberry devices accomplishing great deals and making decissions that effect the nation(s). With software that is yet to be cracked by NSA (as of yet??), advertizing music coming out of the device is a little degrading. How about Blackberry demonstrating how their software and devices are being used to run BIG things by BIG people. Just a thought........
    Right on!

Obama sticks with BlackBerry: iPhone banned for 'security reasons'
    Obama sticks with BlackBerry: iPhone banned for 'security reasons' - The Globe and Mail
    Corbu likes this.
    12-05-13 12:18 PM
    Has someone had a sneeky peak at the ER? Is that driving the market today?
    And on pretty good volume... Shorts at it, once again, perhaps? Any end in sight?
    12-05-13 12:28 PM
    At a market cap of $3.1 billion, it sounds like the market is saying that the only things BlackBerry has of value are patents and real estate. It sounds like they think BlackBerry will burn through every dollar it has, and that BBM, BES 10, BB10 have virtually zero value.

Is there really virtually no upside priced into this stock at all? Has all the negativity been priced in, or can it still drop significantly?

I know it can still drop significantly, just wondering the likelihood...
    At this price, I am seriously thinking of tripling my BBRY block.
    My brain says go for it, my emotion says sleep on it first...usually it's the other way around.
    Randeman likes this.
    12-05-13 12:42 PM
    At this price, I am seriously thinking of tripling my BBRY block.
    My brain says go for it, my emotion says sleep on it first...usually it's the other way around.
    I'm sorta thinking of it if we hit $5.50.

In other news:

Lumia gives Nokia sales a fillip, but BlackBerry fails to bloom - The Economic Times
    12-05-13 12:46 PM
    Tax-loss harvesting is a real issue, here. If you have any kind of portfolio then you have a lot of capital gains this year if you are going to rebalance your portfolio since the market did so well. That means writing a check to Uncle Sam for gains that you realized but didn't get any cash for. The first thing you look to sell is to sell a dog of stock in your portfolio that that isn't coming back anytime soon and use the losses to offset your gains and write a much smaller check. If you really love BBRY that much, you can always buy it back in a month. BBRY is the perfect stock do do this with because it lost a lot and isn't going up anytime soon.
    12-05-13 01:02 PM
113,252 ... 22522253225422552256 ...