View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Xmas is over and has been for months - everything is locked in now.
    Nothing is locked OTA ...
    bungaboy, spike12 and sidhuk like this.
    11-25-13 11:19 AM
    Leaks simply don't exist for the majority of users especially corporate - having said that, version upgrades themselves are generally not a matter of burning interest to ordinary users because they simply don't follow such matters - if a button appears every now and again that says "upgrade" great but otherwise I've never seen any research that says they that care.

I honestly think analysis of the technical stuff like that is down in the weeds in regards to the overall chances of survival.
    Most people see upgrades as a once a year event that brings many new features. Most BlackBerry users are looking for new features too (ones that others platforms already have), but it's more about will it fix this problem or that problem.

STORM was one of the biggest sellers that Verizon had the year it was released, and it only got maybe three or four updates. Now with the Z10 / Q10 / Z30, I doubt that combined BlackBerry BB10 devices account for more that 1% of active devices being supported on Verizon. Which means that when it comes time to prioritize, we are going to be left out or moved back on the schedule.

But I agree that at this point, updates and minor software improvements aren't going to affect sales of future devices. I really see no way to market the new Android Runtime.... It's like BB10, and BBMx - it won't matter until it is out of Beta, consumers are not very good beta tester.
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    11-25-13 11:23 AM
    Show me the man that has even started his Christmas shopping yet and I will show you a . . . oh never mind. You get my drift! :-)
    11-25-13 11:24 AM
    Show me the man that has even started his Christmas shopping yet and I will show you a . . . oh never mind. You get my drift! :-)
    I usually finish my Christmas shopping by... well, actually I don't.

My wife, on the other hand, gloriously manages to have it all (yes, including mine) mostly done by the end of November. I cheer her on wildly too. Thank heavens one of us likes shopping. Teamwork!
    11-25-13 11:41 AM
    11-25-13 11:45 AM
    11-25-13 11:48 AM
    What's BBM at?

Posted via CB10
    I'm checking the stats on App Annie. It seems the downloads via Playstore are not good (at all) when comparing it to Whatsapp and Line. Downloads via the Appstore are much more encouraging.. I'm afraid they'll need to launch channels / video asap if they want to generate some buzz
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    11-25-13 11:57 AM
    BBM in Playstore:

# of countries - rank 1 reached - 1
    # of countries - rank 5 reached - 4
    # of countries - rank 10 reached - 4
    # of countries - rank 100 reached - 12
    # of countries - rank 500 reached - 29
    # of countries - rank 1000 reached - 29

How is this even possible? It's not even in the top 1000 for Brasil, Germany, Italy,...
    11-25-13 12:04 PM
    "Despite these impressive-sounding stats it’s worth underlining that these are registered users, not monthly active users — the latter, which Line has only ever reported for its home market of Japan, being a far more useful metric for measuring engagement with this type of app.

Line also counts the same registered user multiple times if they are using its service on difference smartphones which likely inflates its registered user count. Beyond that, people downloading the app and signing up to try it out a few times before stopping using it are also continuing to beef up its user stat, so despite what looks on the surface to be barreling growth it’s likely not as impressive as it seems."
    11-25-13 12:07 PM
    BBM in Appstore:

# of countries - rank 1 reached - 23
    # of countries - rank 5 reached - 46
    # of countries - rank 10 reached - 54
    # of countries - rank 100 reached - 81
    # of countries - rank 500 reached - 122
    # of countries - rank 1000 reached - 139
    bungaboy and morganplus8 like this.
    11-25-13 12:08 PM
    "Despite these impressive-sounding stats it’s worth underlining that these are registered users, not monthly active users — the latter, which Line has only ever reported for its home market of Japan, being a far more useful metric for measuring engagement with this type of app.

Line also counts the same registered user multiple times if they are using its service on difference smartphones which likely inflates its registered user count. Beyond that, people downloading the app and signing up to try it out a few times before stopping using it are also continuing to beef up its user stat, so despite what looks on the surface to be barreling growth it’s likely not as impressive as it seems."
    Of course, and there's nothing wrong with that (imho). I wouldn't expect any different from Whatsapp, even BlackBerry, from now onward.
    11-25-13 12:10 PM
    How is this even possible? It's not even in the top 1000 for Brasil, Germany, Italy,...
    I can't speak to the European experience but in Africa both Samsung and Africa's #3 top selling phone vendor pre-install BBM. Also in Indonesia it is reported that 90% of android phone purchasers are asking to have BBM pre-installed. This could be the case elsewhere as well but I have personally not read of it.

Update:
    Nov. 26, 2013) - BBM™ will soon come preinstalled on a variety of Android™-based smartphones from leading OEMs across Africa, India, Indonesia, Latin America and the Middle East. Beginning next month, Android smartphones from Be, Brightstar, Celkon, EVERCOSS, IMO, Micromax, Mito, Snexian, Spice, TECNO, TiPhone and Zen will include BBM preinstalled. In addition, BlackBerry� (BBRY)(BB.TO) confirmed that BBM will also continue to be available as a free download from Android app stores, including Google Play.
    Last edited by W Hoa; 11-26-13 at 08:31 AM.
    11-25-13 12:26 PM
    I agree. I also think that overall, while numbers are useful for "start-ups" because ultimately the start-ups are trying to find valuation and monetization, the "quality" of users are much more important for BBRY as it needs to leverage BBM to support its corporate strategy focused on enterprise and security. It is much more important for BBRY if BBM finds adoption again in the financial world in the US, than if it has all the teenagers in Nigeria or Indonesia. That is why I think we should watch how it does on iTunes more critically and where it appears to be doing well.

This is not to slight teenagers and the so called third world (they are a great market and tons of money could be made there via gaming for example), but I think it serves no purpose for BBRY at the moment if it can't leverage BBM to prop up its main revenue generator -- handsets. I think there is tendency to overlook the fact that QNX and BES10 combined are a puny, tiny sum of money per quarter and cannot support the company in the short to medium term.
    11-25-13 12:28 PM
    Of course, and there's nothing wrong with that (imho). I wouldn't expect any different from Whatsapp, even BlackBerry, from now onward.
    Actually BlackBerry, at the last time they announced the numbers, stated they would only be tracking active users, not app downloads.
    Superfly_FR, sidhuk, W Hoa and 6 others like this.
    11-25-13 12:29 PM
    As many of us keep saying...bring on the voice and video. Then, watch the numbers and daily active users fly...
    11-25-13 12:33 PM
    As many of us keep saying...bring on the voice and video. Then, watch the numbers and daily active users fly...
    Don't forget Channels
    11-25-13 12:49 PM
    WTF? Christmas is coming soon?
    Oh well, worry about it later...
    cjcampbell, sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    11-25-13 12:50 PM
    Don't forget Channels
    First we hook 'em, let 'em take the line a little, then, set the hook with channels.
    11-25-13 12:59 PM
    What?! A rather positive review of the Z30... and of BB10! How is that possible?

Hopefully, people will start realizing how far BB10 has come - in less that 11 months - and appreciating some of its qualities...

BlackBerry Z30 review - can the fruity firm's phablet win us over? - Inspect-a-Gadget

"You have to give it to BlackBerry. Despite the company's continuing and well publicised struggles, from failing sales through to fleeing CEOs, it has continued to bring new products to the market with a bullishness that one has to admire. Whatever the papers say, this is a firm that still has faith in its hardware.

The newest addition to its line-up based on the BlackBerry 10 operating system is the Z30. It is the latest in a raft of 'phablet' handsets to attempt to capture the imagination of users wanting a device small enough for their pocket but a screen big enough to get some serious work done.

Very few have found success with the format, with Samsung's Galaxy Note series arguably the leader, but there is clearly space for the larger screen if the manufacturer gets all the insides make the device as appealing.

On first glance, the Z30 is superior to Samsung as it has continued in the vein of its other 2013 launches with a sleek design, rather than the cheaper plastic casing of its rival. A barely noticeable bezel makes for a smooth front, showcasing the 5inch screen and the 720 x 1280 pixels perfectly.

The back of the casing has a somewhat unnecessary pattern design, cheapening the appearance a little, but is again smooth to the touch and doesn't suffer the stickiness of some of its cheaper competitors when using the handset for too long. The silver covering on the sides again dampens the quality appeal a little, but the front facing view wins you back over and gets others looking over your shoulder at what handset you are using.

As with any device worth its salt, there are two cameras on the Z30, the front facing 2MP shooter which works perfectly for video calls and conferencing, and an 8MP main camera. Although not the best quality camera available, it definitely does the job, with an easy to use application for editing and viewing your pictures

As with previous BlackBerry devices from its latest range, it is the operating system that is what needs to be shouted about. I have made no secret on CW of my love for BlackBerry 10, from its slick appearance, its intuitive gestures, its communications hub for all of your correspondence and its enviable multi-tasking.

Alas though, even with its first birthday looming, applications are still an issue. All the essentials are there, with all the social network apps, Skype and of course the solid integration with office applications. But with more and more solutions entering the market all sticking to the iOS and Android platforms, it is a struggle to watch others around you using the next big thing whilst you are showing off that you finally have WhatsApp.

The Z30 is definitely at the higher end of the spectrum when it comes to cost - around �30pm for contract and closer to �500 SIM free - and unfortunately, we just can't quite justify the price.

The fact is, in the right hardware, BlackBerry 10 is an operating system to be applauded, even with the lack of apps. However, it seems the firm has gone past its peak after the Z10 and is now trying to address areas of the market it should perhaps ignore and instead focus on marketing its high end Z10 touchscreen and familiar QWERTY keyboard devices with the Q10 and Q5.

If a phablet is what you are looking for, do not discount the BlackBerry Z30, but the form factor has yet to win me over from the smaller, smarter devices on offer."
    11-25-13 01:13 PM
    Nothing is locked OTA ...
    I mean in terms of marketing, getting shelf space, agreeing promotions - that stuff is decided months out - if nothing was agree, it ain't going to happen in less than four weeks regardless of what the new guy decides - all the OTA updates don't change retail realities.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-25-13 01:22 PM
    BlackBerry's Clock Is Ticking�€”Loudly - WSJ.com
    BlackBerry's Clock Is Ticking—Loudly

A Management Reshuffle Shows the New CEO Is Trying to Take the Smartphone Maker in a New Direction, but Time Isn't on His Side

New BlackBerry BB.T +1.38% chief John Chen is wasting no time in trying to rescue the smartphone maker from its long line of stumbles. But he has considerably less time to do so than his predecessor.

Accordingly, Mr. Chen is moving fast. On Monday, just three weeks after taking the top job, he announced that three top-level executives plus one board member will be leaving. While new CEOs often reshuffle their leadership teams, Mr. Chen's quick moves are evidence that he is planning major changes for the company.

Mr. Chen has continued to signal that devices are part of BlackBerry's future. Yet it is notable that two of the dismissed executives—Chief Operating Officer Kristian Tear and Chief Marketing Officer Frank Boulben —had been brought on by previous CEO Thorsten Heins and had been key in implementing his plan to bet the company's future on a new operating system and family of devices. That bet has failed, leaving BlackBerry with few options.

Mr. Chen's deep background in enterprise software is a good indicator of where the board wants him to take BlackBerry. With the near-collapse of its handset business, BlackBerry generates about half of its revenue from services that help ensure the security and reliability of its network. Many believe BlackBerry could survive as a provider of such services across other wireless platforms such as Apple's AAPL +1.05% iOS and Android, rather than keeping those tethered to its own handset. Even so, it is a Hail Mary pass at this point.

When Mr. Heins took over BlackBerry in early 2012, it was still drawing more than $4 billion in revenue and shipping more than 11 million smartphones per quarter, with operations generating more than $1 billion in cash flow. Revenue has since plunged to $1.6 billion as of the last quarterly report, with BlackBerry being able to recognize only about 3.7 million smartphone shipments in the period and operations consuming $136 million in cash.

Mr. Chen's moves may help speed change at BlackBerry. But no matter how fast he goes, it may still prove to be too little, too late, given the magnitude of the challenge facing him.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 11-25-13 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Added quote code.
    11-25-13 01:24 PM
    Gotta hand it to the WSJ to make things seem as bleak as possible. I am happy with JC's changes. He is acting quickly and letting actions speak louder than words. Similar to Morgan's point on the last page, I too believe there is more to this story than meets the eye. Not replacing the CMO/COO posts? Could the strategic partner be filling those roles...oh my, I get giddy thinking about it. If BlackBerry were to announce a strategic partner / selling of its HW division, you will see fireworks like the 4th of July. Please refer to NOK
    11-25-13 02:09 PM
    Gotta hand it to the WSJ to make things seem as bleak as possible. I am happy with JC's changes. He is acting quickly and letting actions speak louder than words. Similar to Morgan's point on the last page, I too believe there is more to this story than meets the eye. Not replacing the CMO/COO posts? Could the strategic partner be filling those roles...oh my, I get giddy thinking about it. If BlackBerry were to announce a strategic partner / selling of its HW division, you will see fireworks like the 4th of July. Please refer to NOK
    But we are back to the question nobody can answer - who'd want it and why?
    M65c02 and aniym like this.
    11-25-13 02:23 PM
    I agree. Despite the bleak marketing efforts to date, you still have to have some form of it and if the decision "not to be replaced" stands true, there's got to be something out there (in or coming down to the pipe) to fill the void.
    11-25-13 02:33 PM
    But we are back to the question nobody can answer - who'd want it and why?
    Who: Everyone.
    Why: Your selfy pics are save with us.
    sidhuk, cgk, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    11-25-13 02:39 PM
113,251 ... 22272228222922302231 ...