• No

427 37.82%
    OT

Great Doc.
    Otech#CB and bungaboy like this.
    11-25-13 02:10 AM
    OT

Great Doc.
    Weird, I watched this the other day on TV. Had to watch the first 10 mins just to make sure it was the same one haha. It's disgusting how those dirty private equity firms brought the economy to where it current position.

A good documentary indeed!

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 03:42 AM
    11-25-13 04:36 AM

Say, does anyone know how the QNX component of the BlackBerry portfolio gets quantified at ER? For example, is it put under 'other income', or what??
    I don't recall seeing the QNX Broken out separately.
    Thanks in advance.
    I think it comes under software.

There is hardware, service revs and software. It is relatively small atm.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 05:02 AM
    Do we know what date roughly this is meant to drop OTA?

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 05:05 AM
    Do we know what date roughly this is meant to drop OTA?

Posted via CB10
    Nope ... But when I see the current overall reliability, I believe we're not that far from Gold release.
    Crossing fingers that any new device will run this amazing piece of OS.
    Next month, we enter the hard core Christmas period ... would love to see it drop by then, but I think it's very optimistic.
    morganplus8, rarsen and Otech#CB like this.
    11-25-13 05:40 AM
    A decent read.

Revealed: The amazing BlackBerry wizardry that created its 'better Android than Android'

The ingenious hack that throws the company a lifeline

By Andrew Orlowski, 25th November 2013

Revealed: The amazing BlackBerry wizardry that created its 'better Android than Android' • The Register

Exclusive Some remarkable technical wizardry lies behind BlackBerry�s Android coup. When it was launched in January, BlackBerry�s new OS was brand new BlackBerry 10 and largely app-less. But today it can execute Android apps at impressive speed. How did they do it? Thanks to some helpful inside knowledge, The Register will reveal it all.

Android runs Java applications on a JVM called Dalvik, which runs on a Linux kernel. As it's open source, Dalvik was straightforward to port to QNX, the sophisticated embedded Unix that RIM acquired in 2010, and which powered its PlayBook tablet (released the same year).

RIM promised that this Android Player would also appear on its first QNX-based phones. But not all apps could run, and there was an insurmountable stumbling block in the way. Android apps may also call native extensions, which are ARM Linux binary libraries. And there was no way of running these on the phones - so the apps couldn�t run either.

At first, RIM�s engineers attempted to support native extensions by making BB10 another build target for extensions developers. They would choose BB10 as a target at compile time. But this required persuasion. And unless the developer bought into the idea, Android apps that called these Linux ARM extensions wouldn�t run. Even then, the BlackBerry system could not allow side-loading of native apps. It didn�t look like the Android Player would ever be truly worthwhile.

'Binary blobs'? No probs

But one or two RIM engineers were convinced they could bridge this gap between native QNX and Linux code. They would attempt to run the Linux extensions natively on QNX, without recompilation or pre-processing. Nobody was quite sure it would work - one source says he was �90 per cent sure� - but management supported the gamble, and the team set about their work in the summer of 2012.

While Linux and QNX are �Unix like�, that hardly helped. The Linux extensions looked like �binary blobs�, so the RIM engineers couldn�t be sure what was code and what was data. Which meant they couldn�t inspect and patch the Linux libraries on the fly, something called opcode substitution. It also ruled out pre-processing.

"We had to let the SWIs trigger live and discern whether it came from a Linux binary or a QNX binary at runtime, without sacrificing performance of QNX code," a source familiar with the work told us:

�Our work used a wide, labour-intensive component: dynamic cross linking, validating and shimming of the Linux APIs on QNX, and a really deep and tricky hack: catching syscalls in apps that bypassed libs, or had libs statically linked.�

"Linux and QNX used the same ARM SWI instruction, but passed the syscall number in different registers.�

Surprisingly, perhaps, gaming applications proved the easiest to get running smoothly. There were more hurdles, however.

"Skype and Instagram were much more insinuated into Android services and required a lot more work. I believe one of Skype or Instagram even had self-modifying code as part of its security obfuscation, which would have killed any strategy that involved translating the binaries,� our source told us.

Nevertheless the team could demonstrate unmodified Skype, Instagram and Angry Birds Android apps to management and got the green light to productise their work. In BB 10.2.1, which is currently in beta testing, we can start to see the benefits.

As I wrote here (incorrectly assuming that the Android runtime uses hardware acceleration - it doesn�t) modern BlackBerry machines will be able run Android apps in place without side-loading. Users can download Instagram and it works. The miracle of compatibility is thanks to the extensions support.

It�s an ambitious �hack� - in the old-school sense of the word, an ingenious piece of wizardry - that has thrown BlackBerry a lifeline. And just when it needs it. Here�s hoping it�s a reminder to BlackBerry�s new management to appreciate the talent of its engineers.
    11-25-13 06:59 AM
    Boulben's out. Press Release just got sent.

Posted via CB10

PR

BlackBerry Announces Management and Board Changes
    WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Nov. 25, 2013) - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a world leader in mobile communications, today announced that as part of the on-going reorganization of BlackBerry, Kristian Tear, the Company's Chief Operating Officer, and Frank Boulben, the Company's Chief Marketing Officer, will leave the Company. BlackBerry also announced that James Yersh will replace Brian Bidulka as its Chief Financial Officer. Yersh, who has worked at BlackBerry since 2008, previously served as Senior Vice President, Controller and as the Company's head of Compliance. Bidulka will stay on as a special advisor to the CEO for the remainder of the fiscal year to assist with the transition.

"I thank Kristian and Frank for their efforts on behalf of BlackBerry. I look forward to working more directly with the talented teams of engineers, and the sales and marketing teams around the world to facilitate the BlackBerry turn-around and to drive innovation," said John Chen, Executive Chair and CEO of BlackBerry. "I also thank Brian for his eight years of dedicated service to BlackBerry. I look forward to working with James and his Finance team as we move forward, execute on our plans and deliver long-term value for our shareholders."

Chen added, "BlackBerry has a strong cash position and continues, by a significant margin, to be the top provider of trusted and secure mobile device management solutions to enterprise customers around the world. Building on this core strength, and in conjunction with these management changes, I will continue to align my senior management team and organizational structure, and refine the Company's strategy to ensure we deliver the best devices, mobile security and device management through BES 10, provide multi-platform messaging solutions with BBM, and expand adoption of QNX embedded systems."

BlackBerry also announced today that Roger Martin, a Board member since 2007, has resigned. "Our Board has benefitted from Roger's expertise and insights over the past six years and we wish him the best," said Barbara Stymiest, Board Member and Former Chair of the Board.

James Yersh has more than 15 years of experience in the technology and telecommunications industries. Yersh previously served as the Senior Vice President, Controller and head of Compliance for BlackBerry. Prior to joining BlackBerry in 2008, he held various senior positions at Cognos Incorporated and Deloitte.

Third Quarter Fiscal 2014 Results Conference Call Details

BlackBerry will discuss additional details around this announcement when it reports results for the third quarter of fiscal 2014 on December 20th, 2013. A conference call and live webcast will be held beginning at 8 am ET, which can be accessed by dialing 1-800-814-4859 or through your BlackBerry(R) 10 smartphone, personal computer or BlackBerry(R) PlayBook(TM) tablet at http://ca.blackberry.com/company/investors/events.html. A replay of the conference call will also be available at approximately 10 am by dialing (+1)416-640-1917 and entering pass code 4612570# or by clicking the link above on your BlackBerry(R) 10 smartphone, personal computer or BlackBerry(R) PlayBook(TM) tablet. This replay will be available until midnight ET January 3, 2014.

About BlackBerry

A global leader in wireless innovation, BlackBerry(R) revolutionized the mobile industry when it was introduced in 1999. Today, BlackBerry aims to inspire the success of our millions of customers around the world by continuously pushing the boundaries of mobile experiences. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, BlackBerry operates offices in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America. The company trades under the ticker symbols "BB" on the Toronto Stock Exchange and "BBRY" on the NASDAQ. For more information, visit www.blackberry.com.

Forward-looking statements in this news release are made pursuant to the "safe harbor" provisions of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and applicable Canadian securities laws. When used herein, words such as "expect", "anticipate", "estimate", "may", "will", "should", "intend", "believe", and similar expressions, are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on estimates and assumptions made by BlackBerry Limited in light of its experience and its perception of historical trends, current conditions and expected future developments, as well as other factors that BlackBerry believes are appropriate in the circumstances. Many factors could cause BlackBerry's actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially from those expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements, including those described in the "Risk Factors" section of BlackBerry's Annual Information Form, which is included in its Annual Report on Form 40-F (copies of which filings may be obtained at www.sedar.com or www.sec.gov). These factors should be considered carefully, and readers should not place undue reliance on BlackBerry's forward-looking statements. BlackBerry has no intention and undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.
    Last edited by Bilaal; 11-25-13 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Added PR
    11-25-13 07:40 AM
    Let the shake-up commence. (meaning the upper management and BOD).

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 07:44 AM
    The new coach at work re-building his team!

BlackBerry Announces Management and Board Changes

WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Nov. 25, 2013) - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a world leader in mobile communications, today announced that as part of the on-going reorganization of BlackBerry, Kristian Tear, the Company's Chief Operating Officer, and Frank Boulben, the Company's Chief Marketing Officer, will leave the Company. BlackBerry also announced that James Yersh will replace Brian Bidulka as its Chief Financial Officer. Yersh, who has worked at BlackBerry since 2008, previously served as Senior Vice President, Controller and as the Company's head of Compliance. Bidulka will stay on as a special advisor to the CEO for the remainder of the fiscal year to assist with the transition.

"I thank Kristian and Frank for their efforts on behalf of BlackBerry. I look forward to working more directly with the talented teams of engineers, and the sales and marketing teams around the world to facilitate the BlackBerry turn-around and to drive innovation," said John Chen, Executive Chair and CEO of BlackBerry. "I also thank Brian for his eight years of dedicated service to BlackBerry. I look forward to working with James and his Finance team as we move forward, execute on our plans and deliver long-term value for our shareholders."

Chen added, "BlackBerry has a strong cash position and continues, by a significant margin, to be the top provider of trusted and secure mobile device management solutions to enterprise customers around the world. Building on this core strength, and in conjunction with these management changes, I will continue to align my senior management team and organizational structure, and refine the Company's strategy to ensure we deliver the best devices, mobile security and device management through BES 10, provide multi-platform messaging solutions with BBM, and expand adoption of QNX embedded systems."

BlackBerry also announced today that Roger Martin, a Board member since 2007, has resigned. "Our Board has benefitted from Roger's expertise and insights over the past six years and we wish him the best," said Barbara Stymiest, Board Member and Former Chair of the Board.

James Yersh has more than 15 years of experience in the technology and telecommunications industries. Yersh previously served as the Senior Vice President, Controller and head of Compliance for BlackBerry. Prior to joining BlackBerry in 2008, he held various senior positions at Cognos Incorporated and Deloitte.

Third Quarter Fiscal 2014 Results Conference Call Details

BlackBerry will discuss additional details around this announcement when it reports results for the third quarter of fiscal 2014 on December 20th, 2013. A conference call and live webcast will be held beginning at 8 am ET, which can be accessed by dialing 1-800-814-4859 or through your BlackBerry(R) 10 smartphone, personal computer or BlackBerry(R) PlayBook(TM) tablet at Investor Events - Canada. A replay of the conference call will also be available at approximately 10 am by dialing (+1)416-640-1917 and entering pass code 4612570# or by clicking the link above on your BlackBerry(R) 10 smartphone, personal computer or BlackBerry(R) PlayBook(TM) tablet. This replay will be available until midnight ET January 3, 2014.

About BlackBerry

A global leader in wireless innovation, BlackBerry(R) revolutionized the mobile industry when it was introduced in 1999. Today, BlackBerry aims to inspire the success of our millions of customers around the world by continuously pushing the boundaries of mobile experiences. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, BlackBerry operates offices in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America. The company trades under the ticker symbols "BB" on the Toronto Stock Exchange and "BBRY" on the NASDAQ. For more information, visit Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com.

Forward-looking statements in this news release are made pursuant to the "safe harbor" provisions of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and applicable Canadian securities laws. When used herein, words such as "expect", "anticipate", "estimate", "may", "will", "should", "intend", "believe", and similar expressions, are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on estimates and assumptions made by BlackBerry Limited in light of its experience and its perception of historical trends, current conditions and expected future developments, as well as other factors that BlackBerry believes are appropriate in the circumstances. Many factors could cause BlackBerry's actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially from those expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements, including those described in the "Risk Factors" section of BlackBerry's Annual Information Form, which is included in its Annual Report on Form 40-F (copies of which filings may be obtained at Welcome to the SEDAR Web Site / Bienvenue au Site Web SEDAR or U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission | Homepage). These factors should be considered carefully, and readers should not place undue reliance on BlackBerry's forward-looking statements. BlackBerry has no intention and undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.

Investor Contact:

BlackBerry Investor Relations

(519) 888-7465

[email protected]

Media Relations Contact:

BlackBerry Media Relations

(519) 888-7465 x77273

[email protected]
    11-25-13 07:45 AM
    Are we going to sink under $6 because of this? Trying to figure out if I should stay away from here/yahoo finance for until after turkey day. God I hope not, then what will I do all day
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    11-25-13 07:48 AM
    I always thought Wall Street liked when people got the boot as it meant it was strictly business and nothing personal. Either way, I'm good with this piece of news.
    11-25-13 07:59 AM
    Boulben's out. Press Release just got sent.

Posted via CB10

PR
    Hmmm.....now where did I hear this before??
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-25-13 07:59 AM
    Anyone else thinks that they're stuck with too much inventory? Why would they otherwise get rid of Kristian Tear..

And no announcement of a replacement? Strange.

Posted via CB10
    fedakd likes this.
    11-25-13 08:00 AM
    Anyone else thinks that they're stuck with too much inventory? Why would they otherwise get rid of Kristian Tear..

Posted via CB10
    A new Leader usually likes to pick his own Leadership Team for loyality . . .
    _dimi_, sidhuk, jfguay2 and 2 others like this.
    11-25-13 08:05 AM
    Are we going to sink under $6 because of this? Trying to figure out if I should stay away from here/yahoo finance for until after turkey day. God I hope not, then what will I do all day
    Normally this would be a positive and seen as good news. Ineffective people being sacked tells us new management knows there is a problem and is trying to shake things up. This being BBRY, it will somehow be taken as a negative "last ditch effort to save the company" type thing.

Odd timing to let FB surface at the Porsche party and then can him, but hey..... Would have been nice to have the NEW person do that as their first public event, but maybe that is just my twisted way of looking at things..............
    peter9477 and fedakd like this.
    11-25-13 08:13 AM
    Because he failed at his job, everyone on the board did and they should all be replaced. Happy that blackberry is finally getting rid of the people who's done nothing but dig this company deeper into the hole

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 08:15 AM
    We popped on Friday on no news, I think someone knew there was news pending at that time. It turns out the this news isn't trade worthy so we might give up a bit of the gains on Friday. For me, the old structure clearly didn't work, we wanted to hear from Chen, we got our first taste of what he feels needs to be done. We could very well pop on this after the media puts their negative spin on the event. Support has been the recent lows, no reason to think that won't hold now. GL
    11-25-13 08:17 AM
    "The new coach at work re-building his team! "

Indeed. Right on time. Mr. Chen has been on the job for three weeks now. Anxious to see what will come between now and December 20th.
    Last edited by Corbu; 11-25-13 at 08:42 AM.
    11-25-13 08:31 AM
    SOP for a new boss, I guess the stock might move but it will move more if he announces a new strategy that seems clear and focused - I guess he will dump bad news before EC and clear house.
    peter9477 likes this.
    11-25-13 08:47 AM
    Let the shake-up commence. (meaning the upper management and BOD).
    Commence? Didn't it just pretty much finish?

We'd lost the CEO (Heins), and another board member (Kerr), and the Chair (Stymiest) was demoted.

Now we've ditched the CMO (Boulben) and COO (Tear), and the CFO (Bidulka) is sticking around only until the end of the year to advise during the transition.

And another board member (Martin) is now gone.

It's hard to shake a tree any harder than that. ;-)

Zipperstein must be feeling pretty lonely right now.

Look at the management team as of today: BlackBerry Executive Team - Canada

(Lest anyone misinterpret my views: I still see this all as a largely positive thing. Of course, my positivity has cost me a lot on paper so far, so don't put any weight on it.)
    11-25-13 08:52 AM
    Hmmm.....now where did I hear this before??

Oops. Looks like I'm proven wrong.
    My bad then.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 08:56 AM
    SOP for a new boss, I guess the stock might move but it will move more if he announces a new strategy that seems clear and focused - I guess he will dump bad news before EC and clear house.
    Yeah, more details would have been nice. But I like what I hear so far.

1. Focus on enterprises.
    2. Provide best devices.
    3. xBBM
    4. QNX

BlackBerry is already the best in these 4 areas, so focusing on them to clear out competitors might constitute the 4 legs that hold up BlackBerry. The remaining question is whose arse is sitting on this 4-legged stool? LOL
    11-25-13 08:59 AM
    Ditto. And it'll be interesting to see the "negative" spin the media places on Boulben's release. The whole world was critical of BBRY's alleged marketing under his hand. Darrin Stevens could have done a better job.....without any witchcraft either. When he was walked out last week, everyone rejoiced I'm told. This all can't get anything but better over the coming weeks and months IMO.
    11-25-13 09:02 AM
    Oops. Looks like I'm proven wrong.
    My bad then.

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely not at all !!!
    11-25-13 09:04 AM
113,256 ... 22252226222722282229 ...