View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Sorry SF I still stand by my statement, in the scheme of things 130,000 phones is immaterial.

That is $312,000,000 generated from phones and equipment that was in inventory and if they had to do any purchases it was all a low cost job. What are you talking about immaterial? This is a big step forward, to disregard it means that those P'9981 & Z10s laying around didn't matter in the first place. They matter quite a bit. Especially since it was only a 130,000 units. If sold at the price of a Z10 ($300) it would've been $39,000,000. And if someone made a big deal out of that, he'd probably get shot in here. This is a great deal, and great news!
    Last edited by Otech#CB; 11-22-13 at 11:19 PM.
    11-22-13 09:57 PM
    An OS with 1% marketshare is a perfect candidate for replacing an OS with 80% marketshare?

BlackBerry's Android runtime support may not even exist by this time next year. Google is already in the process of replacing the Dalvik runtime with a new runtime called ART. This is supposed to be a much optimized OS

Android ART: Google finally moves to replace Dalvik, to boost performance and battery life | ExtremeTech
    Not replacing, there was rumour that they were looking for another OS. (improper wordage); perhaps to nudge Samsung, as that is the card Samsung ended up playing.
    I could see Google buying BlackBerry to grab the Gov't and Military contracts, and somehow leverage bb10 into the Google-machine.
    Side-thought: my stock mind clammors for this, but I would hate to own such a device.

Thanks for the info.
    Otech#CB and plasmid_boy like this.
    11-22-13 11:49 PM
    Sorry SF I still stand by my statement, in the scheme of things 130,000 phones is immaterial.
    Immaterial in numbers, but let's not forget huge margins.

11-22-13 11:53 PM
    Google play store plus the security of BB10 combined would be the best of both worlds. I know we've all heard the talk. But here's to prove that we are closer than some might think. BlackBerry finally steppin' up to the plate.
    BlackBerry 10 Getting Android Apps with Google Play Store? - N4BB
    Last edited by Otech#CB; 11-23-13 at 02:38 PM.
    BlackistheBerry likes this.
    11-23-13 03:07 AM
    I understand.
    Thus, what's interesting is that there has been a real keen interest for that device.
    Being the most sold device at Harrods is usually a rank reserved to cosmetics like body cream.
    "in the scheme of things", this is an impressive performance an electronic good (re: even iPhone/iPad) never reached before.

Over 130,000 Porsche Design P�€™9981 Devices Sold �€“ Best Selling Item at Harrods in 2012 - BerryReview
    Juergen went on to state how they were at a secret party at Harrods of London this year where, together with BlackBerry, the P’9981 was awarded the top product in all of Harrods for 2012. This award used to always go to the same skin cream year after year so this is a huge deal. They were also awarded the best launch of a luxury product and stated that the P’9981 was the top selling luxury phone over $1000 EVER.
    Co-branding with strong identities enterprises or studios is a delicate exercise and this one worked particularly well. Not sure about the ROI in terms of $ (is that $300 revenue / device = $39Mil ?) but these kind of cooperation are not intended this way.
    It has image benefits, as both Porsche image and high price set it as 'Luxury' or 'Elite' targeted.
    More, being a 'show me I'm exclusive' object, it does offer a good exposition to "high grade" users (aka decision makers) and the occasion for many of those to demo (read: 'show off') BB10.

Again, this is not BlackBerry salvation, but it is an interesting track to follow. Not the "big picture" but a demonstration of something that - at no cost to say the least - offered a good promotion/exposition of the product, within a specific target.

I've been working with a French agency specialized in co-brandings. For those unfamiliar with the matter, the goal is to attach positive image to a given product and (mostly) offer exposition and trigger hype. Some are "natural", some slighter less

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-42828d8f5774069a57632ed15a5071df.jpg
    Chantal Thomass (luxury lingerie) and Vedette (appliances).

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-8109711365bad22f04d80ac9eab41457.jpg
    Aspassio Haronitaki /Champagne Nicolas Feuillatte ; Alexandre McQueen/Chivas ; Vivienne Westwood/Chivas ; Jean-Charles de Castelbajac/Clan Campbell
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 11-23-13 at 04:04 AM.
    11-23-13 03:31 AM
    I hear you SF. I want to know the exact numbers also. I know they're used to improve the image of the company. Just like they have been doing with Mercedes Patronas. They've done right in that market, I agree.
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-mercedes-amg-petronas-f12013gp03chn_hz1383663-china-grand-prix.jpg  
    morganplus8, Greened and rarsen like this.
    11-23-13 03:44 AM
    I hear you SF. I want to know the exact numbers also. I know they're used to improve the image of the company. Just like they have been doing with Mercedes Patronas. They've done right in that market, I agree.
    Well, technically, that's not co-branding here but sponsoring. But they share some goals.
    11-23-13 03:51 AM
    Google play store plus the security of BB10 combined would be the best of both worlds. I know we've all heard the talk. But here's to prove that we are closer than some might think. BlackBerry finally steppin' up to the plate.
    This is old and the screenshots were fake. BlackBerry came out and said this isn't happening.
    11-23-13 04:27 AM
    Well, technically, that's not co-branding here but sponsoring. But they share some goals.
    Yes, sorry for not differentiating. I did mean sponsoring for Mercedes Patronas, but also that I believe these moves have enhanced their image to some people. Most likely some who went out an bought the Porsche Design P'9982.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-23-13 04:31 AM
    This is old and the screenshots were fake. BlackBerry came out and said this isn't happening.
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to trick anyone. BlackBerry and Google are talking things through though, meaning this isn't farfetched at all. Especially when we have plenty of stores besides the Play Store. You know what I mean? But yes, according to BlackBerry these are fake. Definitely not screenshots though....
    Last edited by Otech#CB; 11-23-13 at 02:39 PM.
    11-23-13 04:35 AM
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to trick anyone. BlackBerry and Google are talking things through though, meaning this isn't farfetched at all. Especially when we have plenty of stores besides the Play Store. You know what I mean? But yes, according to BlackBerry these are fake. Definitely not screenshots though....
    Otech, please edit and remove them (or delete the post), or we'll be instant flooded with (accurate) remarks. Thanks !

hehe, looks like we have a new enthusiast here ... #learningToFly : take it easy folks, please.
    11-23-13 06:05 AM
    That is $312,000,000 generated from phones and equipment that was in inventory and if they had to do any purchases it was all a low cost job. What are you talking about immaterial? This is a big step forward, to disregard it means that those P'9981 & Z10s laying around didn't matter in the first place. They matter quite a bit. Especially since it was only a 130,000 units. If sold at the price of a Z10 ($300) it would've been $39,000,000. And if someone made a big deal out of that, he'd probably get shot in here. This is a great deal, and great news!
    I really don't get any of your post. Where is your 312M number coming from? I am not sure what you mean about sitting around in inventory or being low cost job either. The story was about 2012 sales, not what is selling now. Those are high end, expensive phones made of superior materials. The new ones have better specs. They are no doubt higher margin sales, but I can't understand what you mean in your post. You are correct, anyone who thought selling 130,000 z10's and bragged about it should be "shot" This is OLD news, 2012 NEWS. Have you covered cost of goods sold or profit margin or how the stock market is forward looking at university yet?

It was/is a cute little niche product. Do you know the margins or what Porsche's cut of the deal was? Do you know what Harrods paid BBRY for the phones? Retail mark up may be 50-100+% especially in high end items. It was in 2012 also, ancient history at this point. Want to bet the 2013 version/sales does far less than what they did in 2012? Out of (ballpark) 40M phones BBRY sold that year, a few hundred thousand units if it was even that much are not significant.

Not looking to fight here, the number sold is impressive but it is past, old news. This 2013 "event" was great for a little buzz and perhaps brand loyalty and image, but as an economic matter, it is INSIGNIFICANT to BBRY and BRRY's future. My main point was that I thought Frank was AWOL and that he chose to surface at this event for this product at this time and I thought that was incredibly poor on all counts.

Bottom line: If you think this phone is going to save BBRY or will have any material effect on BBRY or its future, I think I have a seat for you on the BoD or perhaps you can have Frank's job when Mr Chen sacks him.
    Last edited by OMGitworks; 11-23-13 at 06:27 AM.
    fedakd, techvisor and M65c02 like this.
    11-23-13 06:16 AM
    Except those are said to be fake and BBRY has denied this all.
    11-23-13 06:28 AM
    Except those are said to be fake and BBRY has denied this all.
    Please read SF's post above
    Not saying that the story is true, but 10.2.1.1055 came very shortly after that rumor and we now have direct access to Amazon Android app store. As crackberry Kevin said, BBRY would have gave the same response even if the rumor was true. There is also rumor about BlackBerry being in talks with Google about something.
    Anyway, the fact is BB10 could directly install APKs from app stores and it is not impossible to do it from Google Play store.

Take it easy.

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk, Greened, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    11-23-13 07:38 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42828d8f5774069a57632ed15a5071df.jpg 
Views:	914 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	223509
    Chantal Thomass (luxury lingerie) and Vedette (appliances).
    That is sexy!

Now let's do a Chantal Thomass Z30 with special vibration modes. LOL

Happy Turkey week to Yankee friends.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR, sidhuk and Corbu like this.
    11-23-13 08:09 AM
    That is sexy!

Posted via CB10
    Not sure about vibrations, but I'm definitely thinking about something similar
    plasmid_boy likes this.
    11-23-13 09:08 AM
    That is sexy!

Posted via CB10
    Lol, NSA cant look in to or highjack special mode history of some politicians because of blackberry security.
    11-23-13 09:41 AM
    Please read SF's post above
    Not saying that the story is true, but 10.2.1.1055 came very shortly after that rumor and we now have direct access to Amazon Android app store. As crackberry Kevin said, BBRY would have gave the same response even if the rumor was true. There is also rumor about BlackBerry being in talks with Google about something.
    Anyway, the fact is BB10 could directly install APKs from app stores and it is not impossible to do it from Google Play store.

Take it easy.

Posted via CB10
    Got it. I know its possible but it's not a done deal and we have no idea how close they are to doing it or if it will ever officially happen. How the OP can simply post that BBRY and Google are in talks, well that would be a big news breaking event......

No big deal, just that hyperbole and assumptions posted as fact drive me nuts.
    plasmid_boy likes this.
    11-23-13 11:28 AM
    Came across this article, already posted?
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle15571378/

"MegaBlackBerry doesn't fit in the avatar box..."
    11-23-13 11:36 AM
    Got it. I know its possible but it's not a done deal and we have no idea how close they are to doing it or if it will ever officially happen. How the OP can simply post that BBRY and Google are in talks, well that would be a big news breaking event......

No big deal, just that hyperbole and assumptions posted as fact drive me nuts.
    I don't understand how a fake screenshot supports the idea that Google and blackberry are in talks?
    techvisor likes this.
    11-23-13 11:45 AM
    OT
    Any one has any experience in Shipping Container Investing?
    There is not much to do here in winter time. I gotta find something to do beside GYM, Music and drinking. LoL
    11-23-13 11:46 AM
    I don't understand how a fake screenshot supports the idea that Google and blackberry are in talks?
    From a different rumor.

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk likes this.
    11-23-13 12:14 PM
    Chr1sny - not sure if your comment was directed to me, but here is what I was referring to. No big deal either way..................
    11-23-13 12:18 PM
    Otech, please edit or remove them (or delete the post), or we'll be instant flooded with (accurate) remarks. Thanks ! …
    Otech, listen to this teacher (and also the OP) !!
    Why do you say this OMG, it represents almost 0.001% of the market. (LOL) Hey, for anyone over 25, more Yugos were sold in America back in the day.
    I really don't get any of your post. Where is your $312M number coming from? I am not sure what you mean about sitting around in inventory or being low cost job either. The story was about 2012 sales, not what is selling now. Those are high end, expensive phones made of superior materials. The new ones have better specs. They are no doubt higher margin sales, but I can't understand what you mean in your post. You are correct, anyone who thought selling 130,000 z10's and bragged about it should be "shot." This is OLD news, 2012 NEWS. Have you covered cost of goods sold or profit margin or how the stock market is forward looking at university yet?

It was/is a cute little niche product [very suitable for Harrods]. Do you know the margins or what Porsche's cut of the deal was? Do you know what Harrods paid BBRY for the phones? Retail mark up may be 50-100+% especially in high end items. [Again,] It was in 2012 also, ancient history at this point. Want to bet the 2013 version/sales does far less than what they did in 2012? Out of (ballpark) 40M phones BBRY sold that year, a few hundred thousand units if it was even that much are not significant.

…This 2013 "event" was great for a little buzz and perhaps brand loyalty and image, but as an economic matter, it is INSIGNIFICANT to BBRY and BRRY's future. My main point was that I thought Frank was AWOL and that he chose to surface at this event for this product at this time and I thought that was incredibly poor on all counts.

Bottom line: If you think this phone is going to save BBRY or will have any material effect on BBRY or its future, I think I have a seat for you on the BoD or perhaps you can have Frank's job when Mr Chen sacks him.
    Yes, the numbers are non-sensical. Contribution to BB revs, or earnings, by this outlier is lost in rounding. This was someone at BBs idea to market a cheep thrill ancillary to BB’s formidable task to rebuild, as well as old news in light of recent BB events. To what end does/did a promotion with Porsche provide an introduction/furtherance of OS10. Further, even as immaterial dollars, it is extremely doubtful that BB had made a dime on this product. While forging a long-term marketing campaign with Porsche may not have been a bad strategy, I sense that same disjointed marketing as per typical of BB. Indeed, no difference with the Mercedes sponsorship but, perhaps, that ad expense may have some meaningful return.

These are called executive mgmt. (and/or Board) perk decisions rather than tied to true core marketing strategies. Granted, even with benefits (if any) difficult to weigh such costs ordinarily are immaterial to a corp. They simply afford addtl benefits (perks) to a select few that are most often lost in the accounting and otherwise unquestioned by shareholders (at least in financially strong corporations). Now, the numbers posted by Otech represent well … I concur with OMG and also am not sure about their veracity or intended representation (or where they came from). But, I will add that the Z10 presumptively makes no money at $300 with under 5mm sold. Remember, BB has to push 20mm of these OS10 boys a year out the door before even thinking of being let into the club again. 100,000 represents a run to calibrate equipment and test market acceptance or, as here, possibly a special edition collector’s item to sell on ebay for 4x original cost in 2020. [Note: Bold and bracketed were edits to above post.]
    I understand. Thus, what's interesting is that there has been a real keen interest for that device. Being the most sold device at Harrods is usually a rank reserved to cosmetics like body cream. "In the scheme of things", this is an impressive performance an electronic good (re: even iPhone/iPad) never reached before.
    Over 130,000 Porsche Design P�€™9981 Devices Sold �€“ Best Selling Item at Harrods in 2012 - BerryReview

Co-branding with strong identities enterprises or studios is a delicate exercise and this one worked particularly well. Not sure about the ROI in terms of $ (is that $300 revenue / device = $39Mil ?) but these kind of cooperation are not intended this way.
    It has image benefits, as both Porsche image and high price set it as 'Luxury' or 'Elite' targeted.
    More, being a 'show me I'm exclusive' object, it does offer a good exposition to "high grade" users (aka decision makers) and the occasion for many of those to demo (read: 'show off') BB10.

Again, this is not BlackBerry salvation, but it is an interesting track to follow. Not the "big picture" but a demonstration of something that - at no cost to say the least - offered a good promotion/exposition of the product, within a specific target.
    Agreed that this is interesting, but you take from your compliment by pointing to what others have stated: To what end, to what ROI, earnings, or future earnings, are generated by this APPARENT one/two-off (?!) marketing endeavor ?!? And, to repeat, what was the strategy relative to OS10. This was an executive fantasy foray, just as I suspect the Mercedes sponsorship may have been.
    Notwithstanding, the most positive benefit gained (however minimal) by BB likely is to claim a number 1 sales position at Harrods rather than some nominal association with Porsche. But any minor momentum gained by this distinction remains to be seen how it might aid BB.
    Old News Otech, and to what future end or purpose anyway?!? It’s a disjointed executive foray or their micro-pipe-dream.
    So, Porsche, Mercedes, why not Lamborghini, Lotus Ford, etc., etc. How about having a BB implemented a system into one of the major auto manufacturers rather than paying through the nose for a promotion or joint sponsorship? …. Didn’t happen! These are simply examples of disjointed relationships where BB absorbs the financial risk without any measurable benefit nor logical connection/thought to a future strategy. Just sponsor a Canadian Football team or cement a new corporate client with a sponsorship. [Note: Perhaps Mercedes or Porsche (however small) agreed to use BB corporate-wide as a result of their windfall from a BB relationship….doubtful.]
    That is sexy!
    Now let's do a Chantal Thomas Z30 with special vibration modes. LOL ...
    Yes, a new generation of Mary Kaye saleswomen!! Hey, gimmicks (for BB) will go nowhere without the basics intact.
    Last edited by M65c02; 11-23-13 at 02:04 PM.
    techvisor likes this.
    11-23-13 01:44 PM
    I have not only decided to start trading Blackberry stock in January, but I also think it will make a great stock for retirement planning. After 6 1/2 months I have not been happier with any other form of electronics, way up high i also rate my Sony TVs and I do appreciate the Sony Xperia tablets. I still use my Playbook. Its great to show product videos, presentations etc.
    11-23-13 01:48 PM
113,256 ... 22222223222422252226 ...