View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    My 16 y/o son's new High School uses no textbooks. Every student is issued an iPad Mini in a heavy duty case, and they don't need notebooks at all. Their entire curriculum is conducted through that tablet. The whole school is a giant hotspot.
    IMO, this sounds like a horrible mistake

1) the mini screen is to small
    2) how can note taking be efficient? There is no way I could do notes for math and science with anything other than a notebook.

News like this drives me ape ****.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 08:02 AM

2) how can note taking be efficient? There is no way I could do notes for math and science with anything other than a notebook.

Posted via CB10
    Soon the kids won't be able to carry out a "face-to-face" conversation with any intelligence and will not be able to write with pen/pencil and paper.

In the event of power outages and dead batteries . . . . . . valium. LoL
    11-22-13 08:18 AM
    AIMCo’s head says BlackBerry proposals lacked a turnaround plan - The Globe and Mail

So it looks like BB doesnt even know what their plan is ......
    11-22-13 08:38 AM

Posted via CB10
    Dude, I forbid students in my class from taking notes. They should be watching and listening to me instead of taking notes. They come to class with their ipads or laptops with the slides downloaded from my website. If they want to write notes on the slides, they can watch my lectures again from the university library's website. I hated the days when I had to rush writing notes and recording the lectures with my walkman when I was a student.

Edit: Oh, taking notes on an ipad or any tablet with a stylus is as efficient as using pen and paper. Plus, the tablet can turn your scribles into editable text.
    Corbu, M65c02, OMGitworks and 5 others like this.
    11-22-13 08:39 AM
    AIMCo�€™s head says BlackBerry proposals lacked a turnaround plan - The Globe and Mail

So it looks like BB doesnt even know what their plan is ......
    Maybe, or this guy doesn't know what BB's plan is.
    11-22-13 08:40 AM
    Maybe, or this guy doesn't know what BB's plan is.
    "The head of one of Canada’s top pension funds confirmed on Thursday his firm was involved in talks over a potential buyout of BlackBerry Ltd. but said he never saw a business plan he was confident would turn around the once-dominant smartphone maker."

BB never provided a business plan to the people they wanted to buy them......That tells me they didn't have one at the time and that being only 4 weeks ago
    11-22-13 08:44 AM
    "The head of one of Canada’s top pension funds confirmed on Thursday his firm was involved in talks over a potential buyout of BlackBerry Ltd. but said he never saw a business plan he was confident would turn around the once-dominant smartphone maker."

BB never provided a business plan to the people they wanted to buy them......That tells me they didn't have one at the time and that being only 4 weeks ago
    Jake,

I think you are giving this guy way too much credit for his skills and abilities. He might not have a clue where technology is going and specifically mobile. He might not be privy to the information, because of how he was leaning in the review. BlackBerry might not have wanted to go in the direction he felt they should which could have been to breakup parts of the company. At some point, from BB's point of view, he wasn't part of the solution here. He is the only one talking, Mike L and his team, haven't said a word and as far as I'm concerned, Mike is the one you want to hear from, not the loans officer from Alberta. I could care less how he thought things went, he is clearly the only player The Globe and Mail can get to comment on the deal. I don't see anything in his comments worth getting excited about or worth drawing conclusions to, based upon the fact that they didn't feed him everything he wanted to hear. When you couple that with the fact that the G&M hates BlackBerry, well you get the picture.

I really hope that it became apparent to BlackBerry that they had assets that could be exploited on their own ..... that they launched BBM-X and looked at that sector and said we need to spin this off for $ 6 - $ 8 Billion one day next year and closed the door to a buy out deal. Too much missing from the behind the scenes dealings to know what happened.
    Corbu, Superfly_FR, sidhuk and 7 others like this.
    11-22-13 08:56 AM

Posted via CB10
    Agree with some of that, but the reality is that the world changes so quickly that textbooks can't keep up and those books are well over $100 each so even if schools could get them in a timely manner, which they can't, they are cost prohibitive. Also, kids learn better in that format versus an old school book. They can still have notebooks (or stylus/software to take notes), just that the up to date, less costly content is delivered over the tablet. There are plenty of good models to integrate technology that aren't an all or nothing approach. I don't think technology is a complete substitute, but I think it does offer many advantages to the way I was taught.
    11-22-13 08:57 AM

It was the plans from the different camps that he didn't like. Each one had something different. Not like they all showed up and said "hey.. BlackBerry wants to do this and we are in if you are". They approached with their individual ideas and he didn't like the proposals he was presented with.
    11-22-13 09:03 AM
    Jake,

I think you are giving this guy way too much credit for his skills and abilities. He might not have a clue where technology is going and specifically mobile. He might not be privy to the information, because of how he was leaning in the review. BlackBerry might not have wanted to go in the direction he felt they should which could have been to breakup parts of the company. At some point, from BB's point of view, he wasn't part of the solution here. He is the only one talking, Mike L and his team, haven't said a word and as far as I'm concerned, Mike is the one you want to hear from, not the loans officer from Alberta. I could care less how he thought things went, he is clearly the only player The Globe and Mail can get to comment on the deal. I don't see anything in his comments worth getting excited about or worth drawing conclusions to, based upon the fact that they didn't feed him everything he wanted to hear. When you couple that with the fact that the G&M hates BlackBerry, well you get the picture.

I really hope that it became apparent to BlackBerry that they had assets that could be exploited on their own ..... that they launched BBM-X and looked at that sector and said we need to spin this off for $ 6 - $ 8 Billion one day next year and closed the door to a buy out deal. Too much missing from the behind the scenes dealings to know what happened.
    Yes this is very true. All Im saying is that the SP hasnt been doing to good with all this silence and uncertainty. I can't wait until he opens his mouth and tell us the direction he is going to take BB.
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    11-22-13 09:03 AM
    Sorry, a few quotes back but still worthy of comment:
    Ok guys, let's get ready. Most will probably forget the "last but not least" point ...

From S.A daily email, comments are here : BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY): Top pension fund: BlackBerry lacked recovery plan - Seeking Alpha
    Attachment 223228
    •What are they going to do with [BB and OS10].” de Bever asked. “I haven’t seen anything that says ‘Okay, this is step, two, three and four’.’’
    SuperFly, don't get too caught up in the fluff ... especially of a Canadian Pension Fund's compliments (highlighted) of a troubled Canadian Co. You can be sure that everyone with a dime in their pocket has had a superficial look, at least, of BB. If there's no plan (or should we say back-up plan) in place, there probably isn't anything of great substance to delve into past public financials anyway (past the $5-6 current liquidation value, as espoused in the past). The most telling comment, and the message delivered, was the second to last bullet (bolded above): A comment on which we all have pondered the past few months, if not years. The pension fund mgr would not have made such a terse comment unless he felt that BB was completely in the fog about its future. Short of liquidation, there has to be a bona fide plan to resurrect BB that makes business sense. Right!?
    Last edited by M65c02; 11-22-13 at 09:21 AM.
    11-22-13 09:04 AM
    Of course we are cheerleaders! .
    And he or she can look under the skirts too?
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-22-13 09:11 AM
    Yes this is very true. All Im saying is that the SP hasnt been doing to good with all this silence and uncertainty. I can't wait until he opens his mouth and tell us the direction he is going to take BB.
    Amen!!

It would be nice to hear that he sees some partnership deals coming as a result of their strategic review. Why would they travel to FB in Cali, if FB (his old business connections are there now), didn't have something interesting to talk about? We just have to be patient here and that ain't easy! Good luck and hang in there.
    11-22-13 09:15 AM
    Green so far today.

I really think that 5.98 was the market bottom, the market having finally had enough time to digest the information regarding the $1 debenture.

We might climb into the afternoon today.
    11-22-13 09:58 AM
    Soon the kids won't be able to carry out a "face-to-face" conversation with any intelligence and will not be able to write with pen/pencil and paper.

In the event of power outages and dead batteries . . . . . . valium. LoL
    I don't see how this movement does anything to enrich children. In the future colleges will have to teach handwriting and there will be a major of cursive writing available.

I hate technology.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 10:04 AM
    I don't see how this movement does anything to enrich children. In the future colleges will have to teach handwriting and there will be a major of cursive writing available.

I hate technology.

Posted via CB10
    We could be witnessing the devolution of the language as cursive and print fonts are replaced by a more runic font similar to Palm's graffiti.

And then, should we have a global catastrophy on the level of a massive X40 solar flare, it would render our technology useless and knock us back to the stone age.

Cue the Vikings, complete with a runic language.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...exRunicus.jpeg
    Komoto likes this.
    11-22-13 10:22 AM

I hate technology.

Posted via CB10
    As a kid, I was almost always the best kid in the class at hand writing. Print, script, bubble letters, or even calligraphy (art is a passion and hobby of mine). Now, I rarely hand write anything. And when I did (on white boards), students and colleagues said they can't see anything but worms crawling across the board...LOL
    The point is, hand writing is not really that important anymore (but I do agree that we still to be able to do it - I will start to use my pen more often now to retain it).
    11-22-13 10:32 AM
    Sorry, a few quotes back but still worthy of comment:

•What are they going to do with [BB and OS10].” de Bever asked. “I haven’t seen anything that says ‘Okay, this is step, two, three and four’.’’
    [...]
    The most telling comment, and the message delivered, was the second to last bullet (bolded above): A comment on which we all have pondered the past few months, if not years. The pension fund mgr would not have made such a terse comment unless he felt that BB was completely in the fog about its future. Short of liquidation, there has to be a bona fide plan to resurrect BB that makes business sense. Right!?
    Maybe that's what he honestly felt.
    Maybe also it was an estoppel ("fin de non recevoir", not sure google is my friend here) and he didn't get anything because they didn't want to disclose it [to him].

Exaggerated thought : Reminds me the story of a certain Jonathan Geller ... somehow.
    11-22-13 10:35 AM

Seriously, you're kidding, right?
    sidhuk likes this.
    11-22-13 10:41 AM
    Seriously, you're kidding, right?
    ahah it was meant to be somewhat sarcastic lol. I'm just a little disappointed we havn't heard from Chen about where he wants to take BB
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-22-13 10:47 AM
    As a kid, I was almost always the best kid in the class at hand writing. Print, script, bubble letters, or even calligraphy (art is a passion and hobby of mine). Now, I rarely hand write anything. And when I did (on white boards), students and colleagues said they can't see anything but worms crawling across the board...LOL
    The point is, hand writing is not really that important anymore (but I do agree that we still to be able to do it - I will start to use my pen more often now to retain it).
    Some things are more efficiently done with a pencil.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-22-13 10:48 AM
    Rumor is that Google is looking to build (or acquire) a new OS. This may not be true, but if so, BlackBerry having cross-platform integration would be a perfect candidate.

I wonder if BlackBerry is involved with something here.... Why is there such a push towards Android runtime? Simply because of a few missing Apps???

If BlackBerry is utilizing services such as Amazon, and other sites that would support a traffic count, perhaps BlackBerry is using this to leverage a future deal.
    bungaboy, rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    11-22-13 10:52 AM
    Buts,ifs,maybes ... still : Page 2 - Yes, BlackBerry Is a Buy - TheStreet
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    11-22-13 10:56 AM
    Some things are more efficiently done with a pencil.

Posted via CB10
    Well like the bewb test for example. LoL
    11-22-13 10:58 AM

I hate technology.

Posted via CB10
    In the future who will need cursive or handwriting. Joking, sort of.... I do like the feel over a real book over a tablet and love when my older clients send me handwritten notes, but I am not sure that those skills/things will be as important in the future. Will good penmenship be more valuable than quick keyboard skills? Should it matter???
    plasmid_boy likes this.
    11-22-13 11:03 AM
113,256 ... 22182219222022212222 ...