View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    ahhh the silence. Well, BB silence ... those precious times where acid rain beats the street ...
    "don't do" ? : see they're gone
    "do" ? : desperate move
    "[random stat]" : call the ambulance ...

Me : "starting over; last call".
    11-18-13 08:05 AM
    Lol...BES clients have Zero to worry about concerning the APK files and clearly 80% of consumers in the world don't have an issue with it either....more FUD.
    Google grief.

Posted via CB10
    Yup, APK simply CAN'T, BY DESIGN, install under Enterprise partition/environment.
    11-18-13 08:06 AM
    Yup, APK simply CAN'T, BY DESIGN, install under Enterprise partition/environment.
    One would think the posters posting that crap are bright enough to include this little FACT in their posts....they seem to know absolutely everything else about every other aspect....but it's not FUD..
    Nope, just helpful insight. Yeah right. Hedge Fund managers unite.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 08:12 AM
    You are correct. I was opposed to it in the past. But now, that is what I believe. Anyone here that thinks or believes Prem is your "friend" needs to think again. I support the company, and still love BlackBerry (Getting a Z30 next week!). But I do not support management or where they are headed at this point. Because on their current path they are headed to oblivion.
    [Mark post - rewind here nov 2015]

Heins : "3-5 years ..."
    EDITED : 22 months (say, 2 years) 3 years : Heins out
    Add 2 : Chen out.

The more I learn about this story, the more I believe the 4/5 yrs was the real target, pretty soon.
    People here, starting with Heins, were/are here to do the tough work and dirty cleanup. And give time to time.
    My regret ? They should have advertized it.

Many will say I repaint history. They are 100% legit, don't blame them. Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 11-18-13 at 10:17 AM.
    bungaboy, sidhuk and jxnb like this.
    11-18-13 08:21 AM
    I don't understand why they're even contemplating releasing the rumoured Z50 and Q30. Who's going to buy these?
    Me!
    11-18-13 08:30 AM
    I don't understand why they're even contemplating releasing the rumoured Z50 and Q30. Who's going to buy these?
    Since it seems that they are keeping the hardware, they need to roll out new devices periodically. Let's see what their plans are for sales.
    Yeah, I will probably buy it, but I don't count I guess.

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    11-18-13 08:40 AM
    This silence hasn't really been working for BB so why do they continue to be silent. Its time to start turning the marketing machine and really advertising xBBM and start to be more transparent.
    plasmid_boy, rarsen, Corbu and 1 others like this.
    11-18-13 08:42 AM
    11-18-13 09:02 AM
    Interesting take on this business of Phones4U dropping BB10 devices by Michael Collins over at Seeking Alpha. Not sure how much weight to attach to his comment though.

Yesterday I walked into a Phones4U business sale point and I came across a very helpful sales assistant who offered the following nugget:

Phones4U business only carries the one BB7 Phone because BLACKBERRY PULLED ITS ENTIRE BB10 LINE. It was NOT Phones4U who sent the stock back, it was BlackBerry.

I made her repeat that, as I was astounded. She said that:

Blackberry claimed it needed to change the firmware on the phones and that it would be sending them back out sometime in the middle of next year. She said it might have something to do with Google / Android apps, she didn't know.
    BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY): BlackBerry Pulls BB10 From The U.K.'s Phones4U - Seeking Alpha
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-18-13 09:11 AM

3 years : Heins out

The more I learn about this story, the more I believe the 5 yrs was the real target, pretty soon.
    People here, starting with Heins, were/are here to do the tough work and dirty cleanup. And give time to time.

Many will say I repaint history. They are 100% legit, don't blame them. Just my thoughts.
    Sadly I don't think they had/have 5 years, they will be gone or at least marginalized. If that was their true plan, it was doomed from the start. If Chen had been put in instead of Heinz, then I think BBRY would have had a fighting chance. I think Heinz doomed BBRY. I think Chen won't have enough to work with to really pull off a comeback, it would have been hard enough when TH came in, but his mismanagement of almost every aspect of the advertising, rollout and Wall St expectations was brutally bad and now their position may no longer be salvageable, perhaps like PW's investment itself. It's sort of revisionist on my part to, but I did argue at the time that rolling out the z10 before the q10 was a very bad decision. That plus releasing the PB without native e-mail were shocking decisions to me that should have set off very loud, ringing bells. The final nail, among others was promising BB10 for PB and then screwing all of the PB people by canceling that. TH was tone deaf to the market and Wall Street and BBRY paid for that.

Basically TH's vision was misguided, his execution was poor and his communication to corporations, customers and Wall St was shockingly poor. Other than Alex S. I don't see one upper level person Chen should keep if he wants ANY chance of saving BBRY. Rant off, sorry......
    11-18-13 09:29 AM

The more I learn about this story, the more I believe the 5 yrs was the real target, pretty soon.

Since Heins was out in 18 months, I would say you aren't even repainting it, you are making it up... So if you do want to go down revisionist history route best to get the verifiable facts right...
    11-18-13 09:34 AM
    Slightly OT but, for once, a bit of a contrarian argument regarding the recent Snapchat craze:
    Snap Out of It: Kids Aren't Reliable Tech Predictors - WSJ.com

What should BBMx become, what is its potential and how should it be marketed? Anxious for Mr. Chen's response....
    notafanboy and bungaboy like this.
    11-18-13 09:44 AM
    Interesting take on this business of Phones4U dropping BB10 devices by Michael Collins over at Seeking Alpha. Not sure how much weight to attach to his comment though.

BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY): BlackBerry Pulls BB10 From The U.K.'s Phones4U - Seeking Alpha
    Sales assistants don't have that such information, moreover it is nonsensical, they would do such an upgrade OTA not via ship and return - especially with aging stock.
    11-18-13 09:51 AM
    Since Heins was out in 18 months, I would say you aren't even repainting it, you are making it up... So if you do want to go down revisionist history route best to get the verifiable facts right...
    Think about what Heins did in 18 months though.

Downsized the company to remove the BBOS staff.
    Completed CORE reductions that cut billions of recurring costs.
    Oversaw the completion of BB10.
    Oversaw the development and deployment 4 new devices (3 BB10, 1 BBOS).
    Took the fall for no BB10 on the PlayBook.
    Oversaw the development of BBMX.
    Oversaw the purchase of Paratek.

The most important thing he didn't cut?

BBRY's R&D budget.

All told, he did quite a bit in the 18 months he was sitting in the Captain's Chair.

I think the only reason BBRY hasn't gone bankrupt at this point and has enough investors believing in their prospects to sell $1 billion in debentures is because he oversaw the building of BB10's foundation. And as the company's former Chief Operating Officer, he was probably the only person who knew enough about every aspect of the company to be able to get them this far along.

I say the man deserves more credit than he's getting and history will remember him differently.

FFS, this time last year he was nominated for a tech leadership award. Back when everyone was predicted BBRY would be completely bankrupt by now.
    11-18-13 10:03 AM

BBRY's R&D budget.

All told, he did quite a bit in the 18 months he was sitting in the Captain's Chair.

I think the only reason BBRY hasn't gone bankrupt at this point and has enough investors believing in their prospects to sell $1 billion in debentures is because he oversaw the building of BB10's foundation. And as the company's former Chief Operating Officer, he was probably the only person who knew enough about every aspect of the company to be able to get them this far along.

I say the man deserves more credit than he's getting and history will remember him differently.

FFS, this time last year he was nominated for a tech leadership award. Back when everyone was predicted BBRY would be completely bankrupt by now.
    Those are OK, but try as he might, he could not have possibly bankrupted BBRY in 18 months with all of the cash and enterprise $$ he had coming in.

He will be remembered as the man who killed off BBRY. The only tech award he should and will considered for will be the Nortel Award.
    anon(4086547) and techvisor like this.
    11-18-13 10:10 AM
    I'm refeering to the starting date of this thread feb 2011. It's abusive, I'll edit.
    But for being verifiable, Heins was nominated Jan 22, 2012 , turns out to be 22 months.
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    11-18-13 10:14 AM

So the launch of BB10 went as planned?
    There was nothing to be worried about lack of BES10 being picked up by current BES owners?
    Shrinking to withing the margin of error for total world wide market share was strategic?

Maybe BlackBerry and Heins had another 5 year plan, just like BlackBerry had a 5 year plan under Jim and Mike. Remind me, how did that plan work out for them. They went from owning the market to not even being in it anymore
    11-18-13 10:18 AM

BBRY's R&D budget.

Here is the point we are never going to agree on - you think Bb10 is a work in progress, I think it has failed and is no longer viable as evidenced by carrier sales and the way the carrier relationships are falling to pieces - so even if he did manage to get bb10 to market - so what?
    11-18-13 10:18 AM
    This silence hasn't really been working for BB so why do they continue to be silent. Its time to start turning the marketing machine and really advertising xBBM and start to be more transparent.
    Let's let Chen get his arse into the chair for a wee bit. Don't have the luxury for anymore flubberuppers.
    sidhuk and rarsen like this.
    11-18-13 10:19 AM
    Those are OK, but try as he might, he could not have possibly bankrupted BBRY in 18 months with all of the cash and enterprise $$ he had coming in.

He will be remembered as the man who killed off BBRY. The only tech award he should and will considered for will be the Nortel Award.
    If he didn't succeed with $2.6Bill in 22 months, I'm quite comfident Chen won't either with $4Bill (minus $1Bill 6yrs debenture).
    Sorry, but what - on zero news - make you guys pushing down so much lately ? Bad karma, new investment strategy ?
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 11-18-13 at 10:24 AM. Reason: added "down" to pushing: wrong sense
    Corbu, bungaboy, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    11-18-13 10:22 AM
    Here is the point we are never going to agree on - you think Bb10 is a work in progress, I think it has failed and is no longer viable as evidenced by carrier sales and the way the carrier relationships are falling to pieces - so even if he did manage to get bb10 to market - so what?
    That's what he was here for. Heis was a "Interim CEO", exactly like Chen is.
    1/ Get a product to sell
    2/ Cut the costs
    3/ Sell or die.

In two years (sorry, 21 months and 20someting days) ? 100% unfeasible. But maybe you have an example of a company which succeed in this time frame ?
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    11-18-13 10:23 AM
    That's what he was here for. Heis was a "Interim CEO", exactly like Chen is.
    1/ Get a product to sell
    2/ Cut the costs
    3/ Sell or die.
    But he failed on three - there is absolutely no evidence Heins was a stopgap CEO, none.
    techvisor and anon(4086547) like this.
    11-18-13 10:26 AM
    Sadly I don't think they had/have 5 years, they will be gone or at least marginalized. If that was their true plan, it was doomed from the start. If Chen had been put in instead of Heinz, then I think BBRY would have had a fighting chance. I think Heinz doomed BBRY. I think Chen won't have enough to work with to really pull off a comeback, it would have been hard enough when TH came in, but his mismanagement of almost every aspect of the advertising, rollout and Wall St expectations was brutally bad and now their position may no longer be salvageable, perhaps like PW's investment itself. It's sort of revisionist on my part to, but I did argue at the time that rolling out the z10 before the q10 was a very bad decision. That plus releasing the PB without native e-mail were shocking decisions to me that should have set off very loud, ringing bells. The final nail, among others was promising BB10 for PB and then screwing all of the PB people by canceling that. TH was tone deaf to the market and Wall Street and BBRY paid for that.

Basically TH's vision was misguided, his execution was poor and his communication to corporations, customers and Wall St was shockingly poor. Other than Alex S. I don't see one upper level person Chen should keep if he wants ANY chance of saving BBRY. Rant off, sorry......
    I've just spared one year thanks to cgk
    OMGitworks likes this.
    11-18-13 10:27 AM
    I support BBRY and I buy shares !
    A refresher course on the Thread Title.
    sidhuk, Corbu, bigbadben10 and 2 others like this.
    11-18-13 10:37 AM
    If he didn't succeed with $2.6Bill in 22 months, I'm quite comfident Chen won't either with $4Bill (minus $1Bill 6yrs debenture).
    Sorry, but what - on zero news - make you guys pushing down so much lately ? Bad karma, new investment strategy ?
    I just think, and obviously many disagree that "no news" is the exact problem. TH just slid into the CEO chair and kept the status quo, failing game plan. He fiddled while BBRY burned. He needed to shake things up and while he told us and Wall St everything was OK either he either knew or should have know the ship was sinking. They need URGENCY and there was and appears to be none. Each day I fear they are losing customers, cash and reputation. Patience is a virtue as they say, I just don't think BBRY had or has the time to see how it all plays out, they nee dot force the issues and TH did not.

Sorry to be so negative. I didn't buy any shares recently, but I still have those great Dec $8 calls
    11-18-13 10:38 AM
113,256 ... 22022203220422052206 ...