View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I am strongly considering doubling my stock holding with this new Google Play news.
    11-10-13 07:48 PM
    I am strongly considering doubling my stock holding with this new Google Play news.
    This Google Play thing is torturing me... Actually has me contemplating jumping back in (some, maybe not all I held before) .

What scares me is that even if the rumours turn out to be true, i'm not sure if I trust the execution of it, at least right off the bat. Though if executed well, holy crap this thing will fly!
    Last edited by m0de25; 11-10-13 at 08:43 PM.
    11-10-13 08:25 PM
    This Google Play thing is torturing me... Actually has me contemplating jumping back in (some, maybe not all I held before) .

What scares me is that even if the rumours turn out to be true, i'm not sure if I trust the execution of it, at least right off the bat. Though if executed well, holy crap this thing will fly!
    Agree

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 09:18 PM
    If the rumors are true then bbry will have the catalyst it needs to survive. My only concern is that this event is a "double edge sword" because all of the app sales will be booked to Google and not bbry. App sales was one of those other sources of revenue that was supposed to offset BIS revenue loss.
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    11-10-13 11:13 PM
    Ashton Kutcher is now a product engineer for Lenovo. One thing in this article that I found interesting was this:

Interviewer: What's the Android phone you are using?

Kutcher: It's a Lenovo phone. I can't really talk too much about that right now but it is a Lenovo phone.

Note: Lenovo has not yet released a smartphone in the U.S. It has been rumored to do so this year.

I wonder if this has anything to do with BBRY?

Ashton Kutcher Is Now a Lenovo Product Engineer - ABC News
    11-11-13 12:12 AM
    Ashton Kutcher is now a product engineer for Lenovo. One thing in this article that I found interesting was this:

Kutcher: It's a Lenovo phone. I can't really talk too much about that right now but it is a Lenovo phone.

Note: Lenovo has not yet released a smartphone in the U.S. It has been rumored to do so this year.

This would be awesome if this is true. BlackBerry-Lenovo phones for the general consumer!

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 01:32 AM
    How you get anything bbry shaped out of an article that is android all over is beyond me...

As for the google play story, anyone seen any better evidence than some now confirmed as fake pictures?
    notfanboy, anon(4086547) and CDM76 like this.
    11-11-13 02:05 AM
    Anyone know how John Chen was put in place? Was it by Prem for sure?

I am wondering if there are other players besides Prem.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    11-11-13 06:38 AM
    Never asked former CEO Heins to leave BlackBerry, Watsa says

TARA PERKINS
    The Globe and Mail
    Published Monday, Nov. 11 2013, 7:23 AM EST
    Last updated Monday, Nov. 11 2013, 8:02 AM EST

Never asked former CEO Heins to leave BlackBerry, Watsa says - The Globe and Mail
    11-11-13 07:09 AM
    Finally . . . . . some Troll control. LoL

Big banks weigh blocking traders from online chat rooms

Reuters
    Published Monday, Nov. 11 2013, 6:40 AM EST
    Last updated Monday, Nov. 11 2013, 6:40 AM EST
    Big banks weigh blocking traders from online chat rooms - The Globe and Mail

Big banks are considering disabling online chat rooms that link traders across many financial institutions over concerns of mounting scrutiny from regulators, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the discussions.

JPMorgan Chase <JPM.N>, Credit Suisse Group <CSGN.VX> and Citigroup Inc <C.N> among others, are reviewing chat-room use over concerns that some of those forums are seen by regulators as potential venues for collusion and market manipulation.

The probes are focused on chat rooms with names such as “The Cartel,” people told the Journal.

Chat communications have featured prominently in a five-year probe into manipulation of a key interest rate known as the London interbank offered rate, or Libor, which has cost banks billions of dollars in settlements, with more fines expected.

Regulators and investors are concerned about the integrity of financial benchmarks after the investigation into the rigging of Libor rates.

The Swiss Financial Market Supervisory Authority, FINMA, earlier said that it was “conducting investigations into several Swiss financial institutions in connection with possible manipulation of foreign exchange markets.”

JPMorgan spokesman Joseph Evangelisti declined to comment on the Journal report when contacted by Reuters.

Credit Suisse and Citigroup could not immediately be reached for comment by Reuters outside of regular business hours.
    11-11-13 07:30 AM

TARA PERKINS
    The Globe and Mail

Never asked former CEO Heins to leave BlackBerry, Watsa says - The Globe and Mail
    Watsa clearly wasn't interested in doing what's best for the company, so he stepped down:

“I stepped off the board, I wanted to be independent – if you’re on the board you’ve got a fiduciary responsibility – to see, as a 10 per cent shareholder, what the best possibilities were for the company,” Mr. Watsa said.

Now that's not very promising is it? He stepped aside to do what's best for him and we have to live with it now.
    11-11-13 07:40 AM
    Watsa clearly wasn't interested in doing what's best for the company, so he stepped down:

“I stepped off the board, I wanted to be independent – if you’re on the board you’ve got a fiduciary responsibility – to see, as a 10 per cent shareholder, what the best possibilities were for the company,” Mr. Watsa said.

Now that's not very promising is it? He stepped aside to do what's best for him and we have to live with it now.
    When I read that quote, I see it this way: when Watsa is on the board, he fully accepts that fiduciary responsibility. Clearly if he were the sort to look out solely for his own interests under all conditions, he would never have left the board in the first place.

I think once the board decided (presumably against his wishes) to take certain actions under this strategic review, and those actions were looking contrary to his own interests, he had little choice. If he'd stayed, his ethics would have forced him to accept actions that were counter to his own interests. Many others would have done that, but not Watsa. He stepped down, as he should have, and made it clear to everyone that he had to do that to avoid any conflict of interest, or even a perceived one.

Good guy Watsa, as far as I'm concerned. I don't see how anyone could fault him for needing to take care of his own interests too.

Look at it this way: if everything was above-board with that, then the worst he did was to take his own expertise off the board temporarily, and ensure that the board was able to consider all possibilities freely, even those which wouldn't be acceptable to FF as a 10% shareholder. I don't see how you can fault him for that, even if it did leave the board with lesser abilities during that period. And if the final outcome happens to be suitable to Fairfax, I don't mind since I believe it's also more suitable to me as a <10% (just a bit less), long-term-view shareholder.
    plasmid_boy, sidhuk, jxnb and 7 others like this.
    11-11-13 07:53 AM
    Leaked BlackBerry 10.2.1 build offers a look at BlackBerry Dashboard, Fuse Mode and Pic Password http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/crack...n8/story01.htm
    11-11-13 09:09 AM
    Just wanted to post that. Awesome...next step is mobile computing !

"MegaBlackBerry doesn't fit in the avatar box..."
    11-11-13 09:15 AM

�I stepped off the board, I wanted to be independent � if you�re on the board you�ve got a fiduciary responsibility � to see, as a 10 per cent shareholder, what the best possibilities were for the company,� Mr. Watsa said.

Wonder what you would have done if you had hundreds of millions of dollars tied up in a company that was in major finical trouble. Would you be worried about "other" shareholders, or about the shareholders back at Fairfax who are wondering why you ever invested in BlackBerry in the first place?

Until BlackBerry gains some kind of charitable status and PW can write off his losses to them, do not expect PW to do anything that isn't in HIS best interests.
    11-11-13 09:15 AM
    How is this a surprise? Watsa's responsibility is to his holdings, not yours!
    Always has been. He was in a hole and dug out to his benefit. Shocking, isn't it.

And some thought this was a great deal for BlackBerry.
    anon(4086547) and CDM76 like this.
    11-11-13 09:20 AM
    Well, I may be under heavy load, if ever this article (adapted from the previous post) gets some readings ...
    BlackBerry : My Snapshot. - Superfly_FR - Seeking Alpha
    11-11-13 09:34 AM
    Look past history of Prem's investments. He has been investing in "holes" and making money. He is not an over night millionaire kind of investor. He has said that "market is driven by fear and greed".

then again, no one can be right "all the times" . But "over times" can be successful.
    11-11-13 09:34 AM
    Not sure Mike & friends have been more successful with funds raising either ...
    What alternative would then remain for the BOD ? Sell in in parts is the fastest (<> best) answer I have in mind. And while maybe good for the stock, would have dumped BBRY in the second class area.

I believe I understand what you mean. Then, is that the worse ? I really don't think so. My take is that it is a strong commitment and sure is a turnaround, yet not the final evolution. Let's see what will pop in the next quarters.
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-11-13 09:38 AM

why do company love giving celebrities fake job title? everyone knows he is not an engineer. just make him an endorser. its like making lebron james into nike ceo.
    CDM76 likes this.
    11-11-13 10:41 AM
    Good job on the SA Antoine...your an amazing supporter and I'm happy to see they published your thoughts.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 10:42 AM
    Well I'm thinking it might be time to jump back into the fire. I'm hesitant regarding the Google Play store but I'm wondering if Blackberry is at the bottom right now. I read on Stocktwits that half of BB's patents expire soon - can anyone verify this? Also, just how low do people think this could go? Now for the big IF - if Google Play did come and some sort of agreement was sorted out with Google then I see nothing but upside for Blackberry. Oh the dilema. Wait for a bit longer or jump in now - hmmm.
    11-11-13 10:51 AM
    If the rumors are true then bbry will have the catalyst it needs to survive. My only concern is that this event is a "double edge sword" because all of the app sales will be booked to Google and not bbry. App sales was one of those other sources of revenue that was supposed to offset BIS revenue loss.
    They will be able to sell more phones at the same margins they have been trying to sell at now which offsets BIS revenue (zero margin harware with BB7 + 3/mth for BIS)
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-11-13 10:54 AM

TARA PERKINS
    The Globe and Mail

Then no payout to TH?

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 10:55 AM
    When I read that quote, I see it this way: when Watsa is on the board, he fully accepts that fiduciary responsibility. Clearly if he were the sort to look out solely for his own interests under all conditions, he would never have left the board in the first place.

I think once the board decided (presumably against his wishes) to take certain actions under this strategic review, and those actions were looking contrary to his own interests, he had little choice. If he'd stayed, his ethics would have forced him to accept actions that were counter to his own interests. Many others would have done that, but not Watsa. He stepped down, as he should have, and made it clear to everyone that he had to do that to avoid any conflict of interest, or even a perceived one.

Good guy Watsa, as far as I'm concerned. I don't see how anyone could fault him for needing to take care of his own interests too.

Look at it this way: if everything was above-board with that, then the worst he did was to take his own expertise off the board temporarily, and ensure that the board was able to consider all possibilities freely, even those which wouldn't be acceptable to FF as a 10% shareholder. I don't see how you can fault him for that, even if it did leave the board with lesser abilities during that period. And if the final outcome happens to be suitable to Fairfax, I don't mind since I believe it's also more suitable to me as a <10% (just a bit less), long-term-view shareholder.
    Not a good guy. He lied about his bid. He could have financed and chose not to. End of story. End of reputation of 27 years in the business and never walking away from a deal.
    11-11-13 10:58 AM
113,256 ... 21882189219021912192 ...