1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    IAG beat estimated by 2 cents but missed on revs. AH up 6 cents
    morganplus8 and cjcampbell like this.
    11-05-13 05:15 PM
    Olympus, the Globe and Mail article (BlackBerry financing aims for a new lease on life - The Globe and Mail) says a lot of things and paints both PW or Mike L in bad light.

Under Mike L, the company crashes and he is pushed out. According to the article, he handpicked TH. So another wrong decision.

Mike L and PW then oppose TH's disclosure that in spring of 2012 that RBC, etc. was hired for strategic review because it will "hurt sales." What sales? BB10 under Mike L. stewardship is still year away. Disclosure did not hurt BB10 sales or BBOS sales... Disclosure helps shareholders to assess what is going on!

Then duing the recent developments, PW discovers only during due dilligence things are more dire than he thought. Hello, you have been on the board for how long?! Why go out in public then making nonsense statements you will get bridge financing!?

Meanwhile, Mike L sits on his ***, or maybe he has not but this is just the most he could do, waits until the weekend of the expiry of PW's imaginative LOI to do what... put in another highly imaginative and conditional piece of paper that would have the effect of hang the company to dry for even greater period of time...

And what is the tidbit about John Chen's special perk of being allowed to continue to live in California and use of corporate jet to do come for meetings... I like John Chen and the Silver Lake connection A LOT, but optics man, optics... reminds me of the swedish board member who gave the WSJ interview in Stockholm saying nonchalantly they will figure something out...

anon(4086547) likes this.
    11-05-13 05:29 PM
    Tsla drop more $20 after ER. I thought they beat the estimated, what happened?
    well wallstreet was expecting more than 5000 delivers. Tesla had beat there own expectations not the one wallstreet had set. Tesla Tanks As Vehicle Sales Come Short Of Analyst Expectations - Yahoo Finance
    fedakd likes this.
    11-05-13 05:48 PM
    11-05-13 05:53 PM
    Some info about the Rockstar patent cases of which BlackBerry is a part...

http://www.fosspatents.com/2013/11/f...ortel.html?m=0

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 05:56 PM
    well wallstreet was expecting more than 5000 delivers. Tesla had beat there own expectations not the one wallstreet had set. Tesla Tanks As Vehicle Sales Come Short Of Analyst Expectations - Yahoo Finance
    Tomorrow going to be bad. Already drop more then $22 and doesn't seem to stop.
    11-05-13 06:10 PM
    Tomorrow going to be bad. Already drop more then $22 and doesn't seem to stop.
    They were over valued anyways there CEO even said it.
    fedakd likes this.
    11-05-13 06:13 PM
    This probably isn't reason to cheer but it seems, according to one source, that BlackBerry still has the edge over Microsoft in the US market:

comScore (SCOR) issued its September 2013 Smartphone Subscriber Market Share report. 3.8% of smartphone subscribers in the U.S. use a device with a Blackberry OS. Microsoft's share is 3.3%.
    11-05-13 06:29 PM
    Thanks danprown,

Just makes me shake my head at how clueless and inept some people can truly be. Seems that the only way out of this hole is to actively trade the stock but all these rumours about possible bids and buyouts just makes us feel like we'll miss the boat if we're out of the stock. Appears that the smart money was on the short side for the past year and the pain for us longs may even get worse for the next 6 months? Really hard to gauge what Mr. Chen may have up his sleeve to bring this at the very least a bit closer to book value. I think the only way is to prove that all the bleeding has stopped and BB is now lean and mean and ready to market itself the way it should have been since the beginning of the year.

Olympus, the Globe and Mail article (BlackBerry financing aims for a new lease on life - The Globe and Mail) says a lot of things and paints both PW or Mike L in bad light.

Under Mike L, the company crashes and he is pushed out. According to the article, he handpicked TH. So another wrong decision.

Mike L and PW then oppose TH's disclosure that in spring of 2012 that RBC, etc. was hired for strategic review because it will "hurt sales." What sales? BB10 under Mike L. stewardship is still year away. Disclosure did not hurt BB10 sales or BBOS sales... Disclosure helps shareholders to assess what is going on!

Then duing the recent developments, PW discovers only during due dilligence things are more dire than he thought. Hello, you have been on the board for how long?! Why go out in public then making nonsense statements you will get bridge financing!?

Meanwhile, Mike L sits on his ***, or maybe he has not but this is just the most he could do, waits until the weekend of the expiry of PW's imaginative LOI to do what... put in another highly imaginative and conditional piece of paper that would have the effect of hang the company to dry for even greater period of time...

And what is the tidbit about John Chen's special perk of being allowed to continue to live in California and use of corporate jet to do come for meetings... I like John Chen and the Silver Lake connection A LOT, but optics man, optics... reminds me of the swedish board member who gave the WSJ interview in Stockholm saying nonchalantly they will figure something out...
    Randeman, bungaboy and danprown like this.
    11-05-13 06:35 PM
    Chen seems to understand the market hates uncertainty...I think with some clear straight talk, reporting and a well spelled out plan this ship might come around.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, Corbu, morganplus8 and 6 others like this.
    11-05-13 06:50 PM
    Okay my friends I have a few questions that I have been waiting to ask now that the dust has settled.

1) Apple and Samsung/Google own the mobile phone space both with billions in the bank!
    2) MSFT/Nokia a very very distant third but with billions in the bank and spending billions trying to catch up!

BlackBerry a tie with MSFT/Nokia in third place.... if we want to argue about that point we can but really its not worth it.

BlackBerry has let's say 2.6 billion in the bank with another 1 billion being provided to help support the company in its efforts to roll out BES10 to Enterprise.

Correct me if I am wrong here:
    Enterprise is the last hope for BlackBerry as the consumer market has gone to the first two players!

If we do not see wholesale media coverage of corporations converting tens of thousands of units to BES10 or being managed by BES10 in the next quarter or two where does that leave BlackBerry, the 3.6 billion is peanuts and will be gone in no time.

The only other option is a partnership with a company with some very very deep pockets but none seemed to appear in the last four weeks....Lenovo does not count btw.

So all in all this is not a pretty picture for Mr. John Chen, I am not really sure what he can do with BlackBerry. If Enterprise does not endorse BES10 now its game over no matter how you look at it.

Your thoughts my brothers?

Ben
    11-05-13 06:56 PM
    Okay my friends I have a few questions that I have been waiting to ask now that the dust has settled.

1) Apple and Samsung/Google own the mobile phone space both with billions in the bank!
    2) MSFT/Nokia a very very distant third but with billions in the bank and spending billions trying to catch up!

BlackBerry a tie with MSFT/Nokia in third place.... if we want to argue about that point we can but really its not worth it.

BlackBerry has let's say 2.6 billion in the bank with another 1 billion being provided to help support the company in its efforts to roll out BES10 to Enterprise.

Correct me if I am wrong here:
    Enterprise is the last hope for BlackBerry as the consumer market has gone to the first two players!

If we do not see wholesale media coverage of corporations converting tens of thousands of units to BES10 or being managed by BES10 in the next quarter or two where does that leave BlackBerry, the 3.6 billion is peanuts and will be gone in no time.

The only other option is a partnership with a company with some very very deep pockets but none seemed to appear in the last four weeks....Lenovo does not count btw.

So all in all this is not a pretty picture for Mr. John Chen, I am not really sure what he can do with BlackBerry. If Enterprise does not endorse BES10 now its game over no matter how you look at it.

Your thoughts my brothers?

Ben
    I agree that if BlackBerry losses enterprise and government at this point, it would be over. But I am hoping that government and sensitive enterprises do not alternative to BlackBerry at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-05-13 07:12 PM
    I agree that if BlackBerry losses enterprise and government at this point, it would be over. But I am hoping that government and sensitive enterprises do not alternative to BlackBerry at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    The thing is I know a large US corp through my biz that has a large fleet of BB devices and they are not going with BES10 and moving to Apple. I have a horrible feeling this is the case with many Enterprise customers as we are not seeing any news about this.

The government thing also bothers me... The Lenovo deal was nixed by the Can Government....I was not a fan of selling our number one tech company to them anyway. But they all cry security, security concerns and do nothing to support BlackBerry. Let me see the DOD in the US say " Yes" we are converting 500K BB units to BES10 or whatever plus managing another 500K IOS/Android. This is the support BB needs and they need it now, not a year from now as it will be too late by then. Then the governments will all have their hackable IOS and Android devices to complain about.....
    11-05-13 07:21 PM
    At this point, I just want Prem and Mike to shut up, and let Chen drive. No more crumb bids, unless for book value.

I too am glad that FF didn't walk away with our mojo. I would rather lose the entire investment than be suckered punched for 9,10,11, or even 12.
    11-05-13 07:30 PM
    I agree it's getting ugly but perhaps maybe Johnny C can persuade enough of the 10, 20 and thirty thousand device enterprises to stay...if he can do that, buy some time and if (big if) they can monetise Channels we should see decent multiples return to the share value. Lots of is though .

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 07:31 PM
    I agree it's getting ugly but perhaps maybe Johnny C can persuade enough of the 10, 20 and thirty thousand device enterprises to stay...if he can do that, buy some time and if (big if) they can monetise Channels we should see decent multiples return to the share value. Lots of is though .

Posted via CB10
    You and me both brother!!!
    11-05-13 07:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    As government, what other choice you have besides blackberry?
    Bacon Munchers, bungaboy and CDM76 like this.
    11-05-13 09:36 PM
    @BlackBerry Promoting the Z30�s 25 Hour Battery Life on Twitter
    @BlackBerry Promoting the Z30�s 25 Hour Battery Life on Twitter http://www.berryreview.com/2013/11/0...fe-on-twitter/
    11-05-13 10:14 PM
    Bigbadben10, I agree with you re: enterprise and government customers. I like that Mr. Chen's Sybase history and his current statements suggest he knows he has to reassure/win over key customers.

I want BlackBerry to try to figure out which customers, both at the organizational level and the individual person level, give them the most bang for the buck in terms of marketing and word of mouth. Then, get phones into their hands at all cost. Give away phones to the people who will a) show them off the most, b) talk them up to decision-makers, or c) are in a position to buy more for their company.

BlackBerry has already given away free Q10's through promotions, but the recipients are random. Does that help? Maybe, maybe not? Better to be scientific about it, if possible. If you can figure out that certain CEOs, product managers, administrative assistants, or firms can help convince others, do anything you can to get them using Z10s, Z30s, or Q10s.

(Shoot, it's the same with BBMX... figure out which friends are most likely to be excited about it and get others on board).
    jxnb, sidhuk, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    11-06-13 12:52 AM
    Chen seems to understand the market hates uncertainty...I think with some clear straight talk, reporting and a well spelled out plan this ship might come around.

Posted via CB10
    yes, the only thing is he says he needs time to figure out what is going on before he decides what to do next. so, for now even the next CEO doesn't even know what the new course will be...that does not make me feel warm and fuzzy about BB...
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    11-06-13 01:40 AM
    George at work, nice : BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY): Take Advantage Of BlackBerry Pessimism - Seeking Alpha

While a 28% premium is a bullish sign, the market did not see it that way. In Alcatel-Lucent's (ALU) case just a few days ago, where the placement was done at a steep discount that cost shareholders a 20% dilution, the market took it as a bullish sign. In BlackBerry's case, where the placement was done at a good premium, the market sold the news. Go figure.
    My guess is that the $1 billion debenture is simply a gesture of trust on behalf of Fairfax and all those who were interested in BlackBerry, but for some reason could not bid on the company (I am speculating Levono might be one of the other debenture investors).
    Q: is that "equity partner"-ish ?

One interesting thing about the debenture is that it offers no guarantees to investors. It is both unsecured and subordinated. In essence, those who will invest $1 billion in BlackBerry will have no guarantees. So if BlackBerry goes out of business, then the holders of the debentures have nothing. But then again, BlackBerry has no debt on its books, so there are no creditors to be subordinated to. The loan is also not secured by any assets, so it is probably safe to assume that the investors don't think there is much risk.
    In a Reuters article he estimates that it will take about six quarters to turn BlackBerry around and he also sees no need to get rid of the device division.
    Guess what : we're still in the Thorsten Heins' 3-5 yrs schedule. At least this part of the plan is still valid.
    What will be announced as strategic will help us to understand if/how/why what's happening now was planned, whatever the SP and sales figure were.

Finally someone understands that you can't sell BlackBerry in parts without changing the character of the company. As I have said in the past, BlackBerry is worth more together than the sum of the parts.
    That's a bottom up company : Back-end to devices. Can't agree more. Don't change that. Never.

Bottom line ? : hey, give George some clicks
    11-06-13 02:23 AM
    This probably isn't reason to cheer but it seems, according to one source, that BlackBerry still has the edge over Microsoft in the US market:

comScore (SCOR) issued its September 2013 Smartphone Subscriber Market Share report. 3.8% of smartphone subscribers in the U.S. use a device with a Blackberry OS. Microsoft's share is 3.3%.
    Of course you omit that Blackberry ownership is down by 0.6% between Q2 and Q3 while Windows Phone is up 0.2% over the same period.

That means about 5.6 million people in USA use a BB handset, while about 4.9 million use Windows Phones. The numbers should flip by January 2014.
    11-06-13 04:22 AM
    The thing is I know a large US corp through my biz that has a large fleet of BB devices and they are not going with BES10 and moving to Apple. I have a horrible feeling this is the case with many Enterprise customers as we are not seeing any news about this.

The government thing also bothers me... The Lenovo deal was nixed by the Can Government....I was not a fan of selling our number one tech company to them anyway. But they all cry security, security concerns and do nothing to support BlackBerry. Let me see the DOD in the US say " Yes" we are converting 500K BB units to BES10 or whatever plus managing another 500K IOS/Android. This is the support BB needs and they need it now, not a year from now as it will be too late by then. Then the governments will all have their hackable IOS and Android devices to complain about.....
    Sorry but Blackberry is "hackable" just like the rest of them.
    techvisor likes this.
    11-06-13 06:16 AM
    yes, the only thing is he says he needs time to figure out what is going on before he decides what to do next. so, for now even the next CEO doesn't even know what the new course will be...that does not make me feel warm and fuzzy about BB...
    I think he might need more than a day at the helm to chart his course.

Posted via CB10
    m0de25, Corbu, sidhuk and 4 others like this.
    11-06-13 06:19 AM
    Sorry but Blackberry is "hackable" just like the rest of them.
    What are you basing this on, exactly?
    11-06-13 06:31 AM
113,256 ... 21722173217421752176 ...