View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I may stand alone here, but so far, I pegged Mr. Watsa correctly, and still go with the idea that Prem and Mike are two peas in the same pod.
    My thoughts are that they are 'playing the field. Mike one one side, and Prem on the other'. Meanwhile, still sitting at the same poker table showing each other their cards. All with silly grins on their faces.

...Still holding my tethered, blood and tear-stained cards tightly, but just at a different poker table; situated in their lavatory.
    11-05-13 11:57 AM
    Hi Morgan, I wasn't knocking on anyone if that was the impression you got from my previous post and certainly wasn't doubting Mike as i'm sure is a brilliant man. With the limited time I had with BBRY, I felt bad for TH as I don't think he wasn't really setup to succeed...
    My thoughts too. TH is really intelligent, and IMHO should still be involved; not as CEO, but a Chief of Tech, as he is second to none in understanding communication.
    By dropping him off a cliff, this shows once again that the BOD are a pack of buffoons. This is akin to blaming the US President on the countries' problems.
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 11-05-13 at 12:16 PM.
    11-05-13 12:03 PM
    OT ALERT - Just for fun, have a look at OXBT not only today, but the last 5 days...
    11-05-13 12:10 PM
    Hi Morgan, I wasn't knocking on anyone if that was the impression you got from my previous post and certainly wasn't doubting Mike as i'm sure is a brilliant man. With the limited time I had with BBRY, I felt bad for TH as I don't think he wasn't really setup to succeed instead he did want he could *I think*. can't speak for others but I'm more pissed and still is mad about the hidden agenda, i don't know if that is really the case but that's how I felt and think shareholder's best interest was not really part of their plan right from the beginning and the pre-ER along came the LOI confirmed it for me.

One of the thing i learned through this process is to separate my passion for their products as it should not be the only reason to invest, instead the management team play a very crucial role with executions. not sure how much better Chen will can only hopefully that's a new start as I don't think time is on their side if BBRY can't get back to focus on business and compete.
    Nothing wrong with your post at all, I guess I was questioning how my own posts were being taken given my support for Mike. Chen looks good on paper, he does very well in front of the media too. I want him to stay but I'm not happy with Prem. I think Mike has a great deal to offer and you can see it in how he has managed to pull together a viable team in such short notice. Heins never had a chance did he? He is the fall guy for BlackBerry and the constant bashing that the Hedge Funds and media have rained upon him. Still, he is richer than me for all of this pain! You can kick me around for $ 22 million bucks too!

I would feel much better if I knew that an 8% shareholder was satisfied with the Prem deal. BBRY is still for sale for the right price.

I understand how you feel about the events of the past year, this has to be one of the most difficult investments to believe in. Such a great product here and the media has crushed it. Instead of embracing BBRY they have made up more lies about the company and it's capabilities. We have owned a large block of ECA for 3 - 4 years now and add to it all the time. We never look at it, we never worry about it, we don't post messages anywhere about it and we are rewarded months later. You can't say that about BBRY, you have to stay glued to the investment every day.
    11-05-13 12:11 PM
    Chatter on Berkshire and Fairfax message board:
    Prem Watsa and Respect.
    I still want to know who put up the other &750,000,000?
    I signed up for that board but never got approved. How does it work?

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 12:13 PM
    OT ALERT - Just for fun, have a look at OXBT not only today, but the last 5 days...
    WOW!!! Reminds me of ACAD the past 14 months.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    11-05-13 12:14 PM
    cruising at an altitude of $6.6ish, there's BBRY. So far so good ...
    Let's keep this rhythm for two weeks ! (some cowbell ? maybe ?)
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    11-05-13 12:21 PM
    And neatly wrapped into 5 days. lol
    11-05-13 12:22 PM
    on whether BB keeps on selling phones? well, does BB even have a choice? as BB apparently have committed themselves to billions in purchase contracts? if BB wants to drop the phones they will have work those commitments down first. if you ask me.
    11-05-13 12:25 PM
    We are playing in a crooks game . . . . .

Once-mighty SAC humbled with record $1.2-billion fine

Once-mighty SAC humbled with record $1.2-billion fine - The Globe and Mail
    JOANNA SLATER
    NEW YORK � The Globe and Mail
    Published Monday, Nov. 04 2013, 10:40 AM EST
    Last updated Monday, Nov. 04 2013, 7:09 PM EST

One of the world�s best-known hedge funds has agreed to plead guilty to criminal charges and pay a record penalty for engaging in illegal insider trading, federal prosecutors said.

SAC Capital Advisors LP, the hedge-fund firm run by billionaire Steven Cohen, will pay $1.2-billion (U.S.) and cease to manage any money for outside investors, according to the agreement.

Monday�s announcement marks the first time in 25 years that a major financial firm agreed to plead guilty to criminal charges and constitutes a victory for U.S. authorities, who made SAC and Mr. Cohen the subject of a lengthy and relentless investigation.

For Mr. Cohen, the agreement spells the effective end of the firm he founded, bearing his own initials, in 1992. SAC grew into an industry giant, swelled by funds from investors seeking a piece of Mr. Cohen�s outsized returns. If the firm continues to exist, its sole function will be to manage Mr. Cohen�s own fortune, an estimated $9-billion.

Considered a legendary investor, Mr. Cohen, 57, is famous for his palatial homes and pricey collection of artwork. He was not named as a defendant in the criminal charges against his firm and has maintained that his conduct was proper at all times.

Under the plea agreement, which is awaiting court approval, SAC will pay $1.2-billion in penalties in addition to a settlement of $616-million reached in March. The earlier deal was to resolve civil insider-trading charges brought by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

�No institution should rest easy in the belief that it is too big to jail,� said Preet Bharara, the top federal prosecutor in Manhattan, at a press conference. The penalty to be paid by SAC is �the just and appropriate price for the pervasive and unprecedented institutional misconduct that occurred here.�

Mr. Bharara noted that Monday�s announcement did not preclude future criminal charges against individuals. He emphasized that his office would forge ahead with its sprawling investigation into insider trading, which has already produced more than 70 convictions.

SAC sought to portray the criminal behaviour as limited to a small group of employees. �We take responsibility for the handful of men who pleaded guilty and whose conduct gave rise to SAC�s liability,� a spokesman for SAC said in an e-mailed statement.

Six former SAC traders have pleaded guilty to criminal charges related to insider trading. Two more maintain their innocence and will stand trial, including Michael Steinberg, a senior portfolio manager at the firm and a friend of Mr. Cohen for many years.

According to the criminal indictment of the firm, numerous SAC employees made illegal profits from inside information over the course of at least a decade. SAC focused on hiring traders and analysts based on their contacts at publicly traded firms, the indictment said, then failed to check or detect whether the information they were obtaining was confidential.

SAC once managed as much as $15-billion, including roughly $9-billion belonging to Mr. Cohen and some employees. For two decades, it delivered annual returns of 30 per cent, a record that inspired envy from other investors but also persistent questions about the legality of its tactics. As SAC�s legal troubles intensified, outside investors fled the firm.

Meanwhile, Mr. Cohen himself is facing a civil action by U.S. regulators � accusing him of failing to properly supervise his employees � which could end up banning him from the securities industry. He will also foot the bill for Monday�s $1.2-billion penalty, together with the earlier $616-million settlement.

�There�s only one shareholder here,� said John Coffee, a professor of securities law at Columbia University. A penalty against SAC �is the same thing as a fine on Mr. Cohen personally.�

It is rare for federal prosecutors to file criminal charges against a financial firm � and rarer still for the firm to plead guilty. Back in 1988, Drexel Burnham Lambert, the brokerage firm and junk-bond pioneer built by Michael Milken, agreed to register a guilty plea to six criminal counts of fraud and pay $650-million.

Such agreements certainly have �a short-term deterrent effect,� said Bruce Baird, a partner at Covington & Burling LLP and a former federal prosecutor who worked on the cases against Drexel. But, he added, �It�s a big industry and there�s a lot of money to be made � in maybe five to 10 years, there are new people and the deterrent doesn�t last.�
    11-05-13 12:50 PM
    on whether BB keeps on selling phones? well, does BB even have a choice? as BB apparently have committed themselves to billions in purchase contracts? if BB wants to drop the phones they will have work those commitments down first. if you ask me.
    I hope they keep selling the Z30. It is a beast!
    11-05-13 12:54 PM
    I hope they keep selling the Z30. It is a beast!
    I can't wait to get mine!
    bungaboy and Randeman like this.
    11-05-13 01:09 PM
    We are playing in a crooks game . . . . .
    This guy has done some major things.
    Preet Bharara - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In regards to the role of the prosecutor and the correct attitude of the prosecutor Mr. Bharara will ask all applicants to his office "How are you going to feel knowing that every day in your job, by definition of you doing your job correctly on the criminal side, you will basically be the proximate cause for, and responsible for, another human being losing his or her liberty for periods of time?" He continues, "From time to time, you get an applicant that is a little bit excited about that prospect. And takes some joy in that prospect. And they are a little too zealous about it. And you know what we do? We don't hire that person." "You don't want a justice system where you have prosecutors who are cowboys"[52]"
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    11-05-13 01:14 PM
    Hopefully HALO will have a good turn out this Friday. Haven't had too many good experiences with ER so far.

Morgan, are you still holding or adding to HALO? Your thoughts on it going forward? Thnx
    Corbu likes this.
    11-05-13 01:27 PM
    Hey Morganplus8, I also have shares in ECA and CNQ..... Did you see that Encana announced that its quarterly dividend will be cut to seven cents from 20 cents per share? Hope ECA and CNQ move higher in the next months or so, what's your take on these? Thanks in advance.
    11-05-13 01:27 PM
    Hopefully HALO will have a good turn out this Friday. Haven't had too many good experiences with ER so far.

Morgan, are you still holding or adding to HALO? Your thoughts on it going forward? Thnx
    I haven't sold any of my shares and I always buy more on the 20-ema. It never fails, if I see it trying to breakdown, I buy it. So far, we are nicely ahead on that one as we are in at $ 7.80/shr and up from here as per it touching the 20-ema. If BBRY had gone to $ 15.00/shr on takeover dreaming, I would have spent every penny of that money on HALO. As you can see, I really like it. GL
    take99, abouthsu and Corbu like this.
    11-05-13 01:34 PM
    Hey Morganplus8, I also have shares in ECA and CNQ..... Did you see that Encana announced that its quarterly dividend will be cut to seven cents from 20 cents per share? Hope ECA and CNQ move higher in the next months or so, what's your take on these? Thanks in advance.
    I'm thrilled!! I want ECA to move into liquids and oil and to grow that sector. No one has land like ECA does. They can have the dividend as far as I care as long as they grow liquids. This company is turning itself into the old EnCana of 2005. I buy the stock, never sell, write some calls against it to bump up the returns. It's my only energy stock too. They are so efficient at what they do. Always finding ways to raise cash and drill cheaper. I never needed the dividend, I prefer growth here, please drop the dividend and grow the business. Good luck with those two.

Sorry, I like CNQ as well but I have never owned it for more than a trade, I prefer ECA.
    11-05-13 01:39 PM
    I can't wait to get mine!
    Have had mine for a week, love doesn't even describe it!
    11-05-13 02:08 PM
    Guys, don't forget the homework ...
    BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY): The Future Of Research In Motion - Seeking Alpha
    This one is done, and I must say I hade no real grief against the author, globally his post was fine, but a bit - say - foggy
    We need to inform keep informing about what's BlackBerry.
    morganplus8, bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    11-05-13 02:25 PM
    Have had mine for a week, love doesn't even describe it!
    "THIS is BlackBerry10, babe", maybe ?
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-05-13 02:27 PM
    I bought some shares Monday because I believe in blackberry and I will continue to buy more and more shares as time goes on.
    Superfly_FR, rarsen and Randeman like this.
    11-05-13 04:44 PM
    I bought some shares Monday because I believe in blackberry and I will continue to buy more and more shares as time goes on.
    Hi whosuredaddy69, and welcome to the StockBerrians !
    Please have a quick look at OP, as it contains very basic but important warnings you may want to consider before investing, especially if you're not experienced.

Share and ask, you're welcome

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 04:57 PM
    Hi everyone... long time follower and reader of this thread as well as a fellow shareholder who has lost a lot of coin in BB thus far holding on (what I now know was) unjustified optimism. I've grown to enjoy the insight and thoughts of quite a few people here and M8 always has a fairly well thought out message

Any thoughts on this excerpt from a Globe & Mail article regarding the weekend talks held at BB headquarters? Seems that Mike and Prem were in the same room and does it seem that Mike would later counter with a surprise strategic move? Seems like the source of this article is from an insider with first hand knowledge.

BB spent the weekend negotiating with 2 bidders

BlackBerry financing aims for a new lease on life - The Globe and Mail

I'm also cutting and pasting the thoughts of a poster from Stockhouse... at his link:
    BlackBerry ( T.BB ) stock message board and forum - Bullboard Discussion - Stockhouse Community

Very interesting Globe & Mail article on what happened. The article has all the hallmarks of something written by authors with genuine access to insiders, although in my view these insiders are heavily biased against Heins & his crew. A couple of the authors are also the same ones who wrote that recent big "insider history" of BB which highlighted Jim Balsillie's status as a visionary and somehow neglected to mention any of his shortcomings.

The main interest of the article for me is that the BOD of BB once again spent a weekend negotiating with two main players in the room: Watsa and Lazaridis. Another point of interest is that first Lazaridis and then Watsa left the company after a falling out with Heins. Lazaridis left for 2 reasons: He hated the fact that Heins decided to announce BB had hired RBC and JP Morgan to look at strategic options (a mistake Heins decided to repeat 5 months ago!). He was also supposedly very cross that BB had decided to lead the BB10 launch with the Z10 instead of the Q10.

Personally, I think it was more than that for both Lazaridis and Watsa. They both eventually realized that Heins was not The Guy. He was very good at certain things, but he was NOT good at all as the face of the organization at this point in its history. When Heins spoke to software engineers and tech bloggers in small rooms, people loved the guy. When he spoke to analysts, journalists, and TV hosts, he rarely got them onside. Most importantly, he generated no buzz, no confidence, no enthusiasm from the general public. Sure, not many CEOs have that ability, but, man, wouldn't it be great if BB found a CEO who had just 15 or 25% of the moxie of someone like Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg, or even Marissa Mayer from Yahoo?

A bit more:
    BlackBerry ( T.BB ) stock message board and forum - Bullboard Discussion - Stockhouse Community

1. Mike Lazaridis' group was ready to rumble, but needed more time. Personally, I think Mike withdrew his bid when he realized several of his key requirements were going to met in the new deal struck between Watsa and the BOD.
    "With the financing deal, BlackBerry took itself off the market, stranding a rival consortium that included Mr. Lazaridis, Cerberus and chip maker Qualcomm Inc.The group put forward a bid on the weekend, but it was conditional on more due diligence. A third bidder, Chinese computer maker Lenovo Group Ltd., was also interested. But sources familiar with the process say that Lenovo knew that any bid would run into stiff opposition in Ottawa, where the federal government has made it clear an offer by Chinese interests would not be welcome."

2. Watsa in fact DID have the resources to proceed with a leveraged buyout. He decided against the plan for other reasons. The story about discovering problems during his due diligence is nonsense, in my view. I think he backed off primarily to appease Mike as his long-standing friend, and also to get BB to back away from the deal on offer from Mike's group.
    "But the due diligence process was revealing for Mr. Watsa. He was “a little more optimistic than he should have been about investment support” for his planned buyout, said one person familiar with the discussions. He had not realized just how dire BlackBerry’s results were until his advisers took a closer look at the company’s books.
    They told Mr. Watsa it would be a mistake to saddle BlackBerry with billions in high-priced debt as it headed into a stretch of several difficult quarters where it would bleed cash and undergo a challenging business transformation . That would make it difficult to meet its obligations to lenders, they felt. “People started to realize it was going to be very complicated to fix BlackBerry,” said one person familiar with the negotiations. “There was too much business risk.”

3. This part shows that both Lazaridis and Watsa eventually lost faith in Heins's leadership.
    "Mr. Watsa hadn’t intended to lead a BlackBerry takeover when he doubled down on his company’s investment in early 2012 and joined the board. At the time, he believed the company could engineer a successful turnaround after steadily losing share in the global smartphone business to Apple Inc. and phones powered by Google Inc.’s Android operating system.
    But Mr. Watsa and Mr. Lazaridis found themselves at odds with Mr. Heins on several occasions. A source close to the board said the two were against the company’s decision to publicly disclose it had hired JPMorgan and RBC in spring 2012 to lead a strategic review, believing that it sent the wrong message and would hurt sales. Later that year, Mr. Lazaridis opposed a decision by Mr. Heins and two of his senior executives to launch an all-touchscreen version of the company’s BlackBerry 10 smartphones first, instead of a version that includes its signature keyboard.""

Last comment: This time around, I think the BOD actually did act in the best interests of shareholders. The only ones in our midst who wanted the $9 buyout to go through were the arbitrageurs. Most of us wanted BB to stay public, even if some of us (like despicable me) did a bit of hemming & hawing on this issue in the early weeks of the Watsa bid. We also wanted a shake-up of the C-Suite. The CEO is headed off to very green pastures, and performance reviews are probably the first order of business for John Chen
    11-05-13 04:58 PM
    Your timing is excellent! Your investment may pay off or it may not, but because you bought close to the historic lows, you are practically guaranteed to do better than most other posters in this thread. You're also in better shape compared to the highest profile investor Prem Watsa!
    whosuredaddy69 likes this.
    11-05-13 05:05 PM
    Tsla drop more $20 after ER. I thought they beat the estimated, what happened?
    cjcampbell likes this.
    11-05-13 05:11 PM
113,250 ... 21712172217321742175 ...