View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Where is Mike Lazaridis in all of this? Qualcomm? Cerberus?
    Was this a fake pump??? This makes no sense whatsoever.
    It's all speculation, you can't hang on to every word that's said like that. Take everything with a grain of salt.
    11-04-13 12:36 PM
    How do you figure that? I see nothing stopping the price from going above that, short of the usual reason: market perception. That's not enough to call something a "cap" though, is it?
    I'd be worried about instant dilution once you get above 10. We need to see the details but if they convert to shares, the existing shareholders almost always are diluted, brings EPS and other metrics down in a single move. There is some wiggle room hear, but the conversion will hurt the stock price under normal circumstances.
    11-04-13 12:38 PM
    -16% now, what a hell. What next? BBRY lose all cash in the next 6-8 months
    11-04-13 12:41 PM
    Is this only me or someone else with me that opposite to the majority, I am the one who feel happy and relieved that the company did not bought by FF, Another good (or great) news is that Chen will be managing the company instead of Hein.
    As long as BB stays as a public traded company with talented CEO and management team, we, the shareholders who lost heavily on the paper so far may recover or even make some profit from our investment in long term.
    11-04-13 12:47 PM
    Where is Mike Lazaridis in all of this? Qualcomm? Cerberus?
    Was this a fake pump??? This makes no sense whatsoever.
    Well I lost big today too, we just did not listen to the market, instead trading on wishful thinking.
    11-04-13 12:50 PM
    Wait, so Prem did all this just so that he could be first in line to recover this extra $250M, in the event that the company goes bankrupt?

Wow, he is a brilliant investor after all! So brilliant that your point of view on that makes no sense to me. ;-)
    He is a debt holder now. If bbry goes under he is first in line to get that money back. From property sales. From patent sales. Etc.

So he likely gets his $250m back no matter the outcome. OK, some of it in reality

But if bbry turns around he still gets that $250m back. But he also gets to convert the debt to stock at $ 10 / share. Thus the lottery ticket reference.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    11-04-13 12:56 PM
    Wait, so Prem did all this just so that he could be first in line to recover this extra $250M, in the event that the company goes bankrupt?

Wow, he is a brilliant investor after all! So brilliant that your point of view on that makes no sense to me. ;-)
    I think Prem did this to try to salvage his $884M investment, $430M of which he has a "paper" loss on, another $65M loss just today. [It's real money to him I assure you]. If he just walked away, he would have lost another $100-200M today when the shares would have been trading below $5 and probably lost the remaining money at BBRY almost certainly went bankrupt. By ponying up another $250M and finding the 1B, he gets his interest at 6% ($60M a year - ouch), the conversion right and a chance to demand they put his guy in as CEO and he, himself, become head of the BoD. He bought another year to carry out the salvage operation. I hope, but can't possible see how this succeeds. Obviously I have no inside info, but based on what happened I honestly suspect the BBRY sales and services numbers and financials to be a complete mess and cash burn that would have killed all of their cash horde in 2 -3 quarters.

This is going to absolutely kill enterprise and government sales. The 1B only props up BBRY, it doesn't fix a thing. Perhaps Chen can restore confidence, but that is a big ask. His stepping in is the only bright spot I can find, otherwise everything that happened would have been an unmitigated disaster.

I have thought all morning and how to spin this positively and I can't. The extra money is a salvage operation. Without it, I am willing to bet BBRY would have burned thru its cash position in the next 2-3 quarters. Wall Street hates cash burn like that. Sadly I think that without a deal and without PW's cash infusion, BBRY would die in 2014.
    techvisor and rodan01 like this.
    Is this only me or someone else with me that opposite to the majority, I am the one who feel happy and relieved that the company did not bought by FF, Another good (or great) news is that Chen will be managing the company instead of Hein.
    As long as BB stays as a public traded company with talented CEO and management team, we, the shareholders who lost heavily on the paper so far may recover or even make some profit from our investment in long term.
    I'm happy other than the covetable debt issue.

Posted via CB10
    I'd say it akin to being in a very bad auto accident and waking up in the hospital and being happy you are alive. Yep, your still alive, but your body, finances, family and everything else is now severely damaged. Perhaps you might even die at a later date. Paper loses are real losses. BBRY's trajectory is a death spiral right now. I hope they reverse it, I really do, but let's not sugar coat a disaster of a situation. These are desperate times for BBRY.
    techvisor likes this.
    11-04-13 12:59 PM
    Well I lost big today too, we just did not listen to the market, instead trading on wishful thinking.
    Can you elaborate on this ?
    I'm not pushing, just trying to understand how you possibly invested more (?) or didn't fire your stops ?
    From my perception, you are at least very pessimistic about BlackBerry and BBRY, how comes a day trade can take you down like this ?
    Is that options ? Day trading ?

Either way, sorry for your loss.
    techvisor likes this.
    11-04-13 12:59 PM
    My finger is on the buy button....hummmm???

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 01:00 PM
    Message retracted.
    11-04-13 01:00 PM
    I'd say it akin to being in a very bad auto accident and waking up in the hospital and being happy you are alive. Yep, your still alive, but your body, finances, family and everything else is now severely damaged. Perhaps you might even die at a later date. Paper loses are real losses. BBRY's trajectory is a death spiral right now. I hope they reverse it, I really do, but let's not sugar coat a disaster of a situation. These are desperate times for BBRY.
    wow OMG, please do not leave the board and keep posting. Seems like futher dramatic than a few hours ago ...
    (this is obviously friendly)
    11-04-13 01:01 PM
    potatoe : could you avoid personal pointing (I mean editing) ? Thanks.
    Ask question, get answers ... never shoot at wounded people.
    We hated that, we still hate it and this have to remain clean here.
    11-04-13 01:02 PM
    wow OMG, please do not leave the board and keep posting. Seems like futher dramatic than a few hours ago ...
    (this is obviously friendly)
    Thanks, I just think it is dangerous to try to spin this as being somehow positive. I "only" lost a few hundred dollars, but I suspect I am one of the lucky ones on that score. It's just that BBRY is looking more and more dead as I look at it with my BBRY glasses off. Time (and alcohol) usually temper all!!! If Chen rescues BBRY it will be one of the greatest corporate comebacks, ever and that will be worth drinking to as well!
    Foliebergere, m1a1mg and techvisor like this.
    11-04-13 01:07 PM
    I think Prem did this to try to salvage his $884M investment, $430M of which he has a "paper" loss on, another $65M loss just today. [It's real money to him I assure you]. If he just walked away, he would have lost another $100-200M today when the shares would have been trading below $5 and probably lost the remaining money at BBRY almost certainly went bankrupt. By ponying up another $250M and finding the 1B, he gets his interest at 6% ($60M a year - ouch), the conversion right and a chance to demand they put his guy in as CEO and he, himself, become head of the BoD. He bought another year to carry out the salvage operation. I hope, but can't possible see how this succeeds. Obviously I have no inside info, but based on what happened I honestly suspect the BBRY sales and services numbers and financials to be a complete mess and cash burn that would have killed all of their cash horde in 2 -3 quarters.

This is going to absolutely kill enterprise and government sales. The 1B only props up BBRY, it doesn't fix a thing. Perhaps Chen can restore confidence, but that is a big ask. His stepping in is the only bright spot I can find, otherwise everything that happened would have been an unmitigated disaster.

I have thought all morning and how to spin this positively and I can't. The extra money is a salvage operation. Without it, I am willing to bet BBRY would have burned thru its cash position in the next 2-3 quarters. Wall Street hates cash burn liker that. Sadly I think that without a deal and without PW's cash infusion, BBRY would die in 2014.
    The stock is down because of the risk of shareholder dilution.

Investors should always assume that a conversion will happen so we should not pretend that there are 514.61 million shares any more. It should be treated as though an extra 100 million exist. So an increase of 19.4%. The stock should be down about that much. Is it?

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 01:10 PM

Investors should always assume that a conversion will happen so we should not pretend that there are 514.61 million shares any more. It should be treated as though an extra 100 million exist. So an increase of 19.4%. The stock should be down about that much. Is it?

Posted via CB10
    I have to disagree 100%. I'd attribute a few pennies of the $1.25 it is down to this, less than 5 cents. If it was a current issuance of new shares then maybe, but while the possible dilution is bad, it is nowhere near as bad as the rest of what did (or didn't) happen today. $10 a share is a long way from $6.50 and might effect the SP at some point if the shares start to get near $10, but for now I think people will focus and trade on the dozen other more negative and important things.
    techvisor likes this.
    11-04-13 01:14 PM

Posted via CB10
    What about the 140 million held short?
    sidhuk likes this.
    11-04-13 01:17 PM
    What about the 140 million held short?
    After today, I bet that short number gets cut by at least a third. What a killing for the shorts, only an ***** would try to get even more out of that trade. 100M+ volume.My guess is 50M is short covering. Perhaps new shorts will come in, but the "old" shorts should be covering today.
    techvisor likes this.
    11-04-13 01:24 PM
    How many shares do they get to buy at $10/share?
    Why is this money necessary?
    11-04-13 01:25 PM
    They won't be going private now, so they will be in the public eyes for the next financials release, which is going to be painful.
    techvisor likes this.
    11-04-13 01:26 PM
    11-04-13 01:27 PM
    I don't think it's about being confident in the company, it's more of the public image that concerns me. BlackBerry's been beaten down so many times, I don't know what to think and who to believe. This is why commenting daily on a public forum regarding BBRY day trading doesn't make sense to me anymore simply because BlackBerry, even a mere 11 months ago, was thinking long term and not short. I believe all this was anticipated some how, we (the longs) just have to play the game sensibly and calmly. We're talking about a multi billion dollar company, they're not inept.

I said it before and I'll say it again, I'm BBRY long till it dies. It didn't go private and I'm glad, because there's money to be made. It might not be today, or in the next month, but the value is there, the quality of the phones is there, the right OS is there.
    yet the media are burying BB today, it is going the way the typewriter went and so on, that does not help. it went from 90 to 6 and what are customers supposed to think now? all that hurts, it hurts BB and it hurts again to get confirmed how useless the media are
    11-04-13 01:29 PM
    so much easier to be an armchair CEO
    cjcampbell, sidhuk, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    11-04-13 01:31 PM
    So Premm / FF put up $250MM of the Billion..... who put up the other $750MM? Do they have to declair? What would happen if it was Warren or Wilbur? That would change things. As long as they are the only creditors, it is 100% secure.....there will always be a billion in assets if BB goes bankrupt.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-04-13 02:03 PM
113,256 ... 21642165216621672168 ...