View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    a basic assumption here is that you are implying that they are all protected, you did not say some of them are hedged.
    That was your basic assumption. I never said any such thing. It would be as idiotic for me to say 'All pro shorts are hedged' as it is to say 'Shorts need all deals to fall through'.

I wandered in here a while back but took it off my radar. Now I see why. I'll leave the others to their Kool-Aid. You seem to know better, and seem to understand that it's stupid to say that shorts need all deals to fall through, but you don't like my tone. No problem. If you ever spent any time around real traders, you'd know that they're mostly like me - that is, kind of abrasive, extremely profane and not likely to suffer fools gladly.
    techvisor likes this.
    11-03-13 10:57 PM
    it does not matter if you are hedged or what. if BB goes up you lose on the short leg of the hedged trade. and vice versa.
    (Sigh)...

Wrong. You don't have a clear understanding of what it means to hedge a winning position. However, even if you were right, you'd be making my argument for me.
    11-03-13 10:58 PM
    I'd really prefer not infract longtime members.

[WARN]Debate the facts, and leave the derogatory adjectives off the forum![/WARN]
    Superfly_FR and cjcampbell like this.
    11-03-13 11:00 PM
    (Sigh)...

Wrong. You don't have a clear understanding of what it means to hedge a winning position. However, even if you were right, you'd be making my argument for me.
    we are talking about Monday's trading. whatever happened before does not change what happens on Monday.
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-03-13 11:07 PM
    I'd really prefer not infract longtime members.
    To the extent that this is directed at me, I apologize and will leave this thread permanently as of this post.
    11-03-13 11:24 PM
    Qualcomm bid for BlackBerry could be tied to Certicom patents | Mobile Technology | Wireless Broadband | Wireless Carriers | RCR U.S. Wireless NewsMobile Technology | Wireless Broadband | Wireless Carriers | RCR U.S. Wireless News

Qualcomm has emerged as a reported 11th-hour bidder for BlackBerry, which is set to go private in a $4.7 billion deal with Fairfax Financial. Qualcomm may make a bid as soon as Monday, in partnership with Cerberus Capital Management and two of BlackBerry’s founders, Mike Lazaridis and Doug Fregin. Monday afternoon is the deadline for Fairfax to present a formal offer, including details on its financing. Fairfax sees value in BlackBerry’s security solutions for companies and governments, but Qualcomm may be equally motivated to acquire those assets. Specifically, the cryptography technology patented by BlackBerry subsidiary Certicom could be very valuable to Qualcomm.
    Certicom provides the core technology for one of the National Security Agency’s standards for secure government communications. Recently, the company has launched an asset management system tailored to the needs of chipmakers like Qualcomm. Certicom offers chip companies secure capture and reporting of multi-point yield data, secure key injection and anti-counterfeit protection. Security is increasingly important to the companies that design mobile chipsets, especially companies like Qualcomm that outsource the chip fabrication.
    Certicom says that it has more than 350 patents pending worldwide covering key aspects of elliptic curve cryptography (ECC). ECC refers to a set of algorithms generally understood to be the emerging gold standard of public key cryptography. The NSA says ECC offers greater security and more efficiency than current public key cryptology techniques, RSA and Diffie-Hellman.
    BlackBerry bought Certicom and all its patents in 2009 for just $106 million, a tiny fraction of the amount Qualcomm and its partners would need to pay in order to buy BlackBerry now. But the Certicom patents are arguably worth a lot more in today’s environment than they were worth four years ago. And by adapting its security solutions to the needs of semiconductor companies, Certicom has created an asset that would be a strategic fit for Qualcomm.
    BlackBerry’s device business is probably less interesting to Qualcomm, although the chipmaker does have a history in device manufacturing. In 2000 Qualcomm sold its mobile phone manufacturing business to Japan’s Kyocera for an undisclosed amount.
    11-03-13 11:41 PM
    MSET
    Is there some reason why you feel the need to talk like such a goof? You sound like such a self righteous know it all.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-04-13 12:24 AM
    One can take historical short data and correspond it to share price.

No offense but there were not a lot of shorts at $90 or $30 for that matter. Want to guess when? Your comments pretend much prove that you don't.

And what makes you the expert?

Posted via CB10
    Wrong, As of last summer 2012 shorts were around 50 to 60 mils, then increased to over 180 mils after bb10 earlier this year. The short interest and price suggest that 50% of shorted stocks price is between $9-12. Not 30s and 90s. Yes, earlier shorts before 2012 were in that high range. What I can tell is that for over a year the trading is all done among shorts, they short, cover, short, cover..not all but most of volume otherwise institutional ownership would have reduced to so less than current over 58%
    11-04-13 12:32 AM
    First let me correct you on the false assumption that I said all institutional shorts are hedged. You seem to have some trouble parsing meaning from written English. Possibly you could try re-reading my first post on this page. Nowhere do I say that 'all shorts are hedged'. Please don't put words in my mouth.
    So, please, don't pretend suggest we're all fools and dumbs. And read the OP (on one of several paste we've made all along this long going post). Good timing to paste it again. To facilitate your homework, go straight to point 5.

Thank you and welcome to civil and friendly knowledge sharing.

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

If you're not used to deal with stocks, the following should be your starting point.

1. This is real money. Your money. There's no tryouts nor refunds.
    2. You must establish what is your capacity before entering the game. Set it and keep it as an absolute limit (you can add later, depending on your revenues profile). Generally, something like 15% of your currently available and free cash is a reasonable amount. Do not speculate with money you don't own in full (credit). If you lose, don't rely on things like "averaging down" or "buy on dips" unless you have additional cash that fits with this rule.
    3. Stay calm. Looking at the stock on a day basis is hard for your nerves. Either good or bad, fluctuations can happen very fast.
    4. We are a drop in the bucket, even those of us with 100s K $ in the game are nothing if we compare to the global cap (count in $K Billions)
    5. Those playing "against" you have more power, more money and know how the market can react. You don't. Do not use "everyday" logic here. This "game" has its own rules and it takes a while to understand/accept them.
    6. One possible approach is to play "long" (counting in years), this particular approach is the one I suggested when starting this thread back in Feb 2011. I personally stick to this approach, as it appears to be somehow the most adapted for rookies like us, engaging tiny amounts and with very limited skills. Be careful about fees/taxes you may have to pay for each transaction: they can ruin your gains easily.
    7. Please be aware that if you consider investing in stocks, mixing different companies and types of investments (ex : safe, aggressive, short term, long term) is highly recommended.
    8. Last but not least : stay humble and prudent.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 11-04-13 at 01:42 AM. Reason: suggest V.S pretend
    fedakd, bungaboy and jxnb like this.
    11-04-13 01:35 AM
    Longs only need one really good deal (and it appears there are many). Shorts need all deals to fail. Where would your money be at this hour?

Hope the pigs finally get slaughtered
    There is no doubt that one side or another WILL get "slaughtered" today. It will not be pretty but PW's lack of funding was predicted by me and many others. Time to pay up!
    techvisor likes this.
    11-04-13 05:11 AM
    There is no doubt that one side or another WILL get "slaughtered" today.
    I'm not sure of that, even if FF does not firm their bid. If they don't, schedule will drop (and the SP too, I presume) but many scenario would still be available. Lately, I wondered what would happen if one (a group of) investor(s) make(s) a hostile takeover bid (V.S current witch is amicable, i.e with company governance agreement), and what would be the offer: under BV ?

This is a fascinating story.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 11-04-13 at 06:05 AM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-04-13 05:38 AM
    Premarket up more than 5%? I was not expecting this with all the news about FF failing..

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 06:00 AM
    The range of possibilities today still includes everything from a big drop through to a big increase and all points in between.

Also includes "no news", at least during trading, since they may say nothing till the markets close.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and silversun10 like this.
    11-04-13 06:16 AM
    I'm not sure of that, even if FF does not firm their bid. If they don't, schedule will drop (and the SP too, I presume) but many scenario would still be available. Lately, I wondered what would happen if one (a group of) investor(s) make(s) a hostile takeover bid (V.S current witch is amicable, i.e with company governance agreement), and what would be the offer: under BV ?

This is a fascinating story.
    Hostile takeover. That would be interesting. Nothing would surprise me at this point. The next weeks will be very interesting.
    11-04-13 06:19 AM
    Hostile takeover. That would be interesting. Nothing would surprise me at this point. The next weeks will be very interesting.
    Hostile takeovers aren't really possible with BBRY's current market cap.

I'd be more inclined to think that organizations have been quietly lining up to initiate a Volkswagen like short squeeze on the 140+ million shares that are outstanding.
    11-04-13 06:28 AM
    BlackBerry claws back Aussie market share as Android slips
    BlackBerry claws back Aussie market share as Android slips
    11-04-13 06:36 AM
    Prem Watsa will be very motivated to finalize the bid offering deal with BlackBerry to secure his $0.50 / share breakup fee from $0.30 / share from letter of intent. If he can't secure the financing from third parties then Fairfax will require a bridge loan from BMO and BAC or Fairfax can lower its bid offering to lower price. The price action of the stock for the last week suggests the final bid offering will be in $8 range.
    11-04-13 06:43 AM
    Should help sales in Nigeria.

Globacom Slashes BlackBerry Tariff by 50%
    Globacom Slashes BlackBerry Tariff by 50%, Articles | THISDAY LIVE
    silversun10, jxnb and sidhuk like this.
    11-04-13 06:44 AM
    Any bets on how this opens today from the peanut gallery?

Above or below $8?
    11-04-13 06:51 AM
    Any bets on how this opens today from the peanut gallery?

Above or below $8?
    I'll vote below... it's going to be an odd day as people place their bets on what PW ends up doing.
    11-04-13 06:54 AM
    What to make of this? . . . . . if anything?

Skype API closes down in December, taking third-party apps and accessories with it

Pocket-lint

November 3, 2013 11:21 PM GMT

Skype has announced it will end its desktop API in December, 2013 - after seven years of availability.

Past third party software not working, supported headsets, cameras, and other accessories will cease to work in roughly a month's time. Skype has already begun the process, giving people a warning through a dialogue box that quickly disappears.

Skype - which in reality is Microsoft - blames its work in mobile for the API shutdown.

"We've been working hard to develop new technologies and make improvements that will benefit Skype users across all platforms, especially on mobile devices," the company wrote on its website. "These changes will significantly improve the call quality and speed of delivery of instant messages, while retaining excellent battery life of mobile devices."

Microsoft says third-party headsets' audio will still work, though not their call control buttons. There's no specific on cameras as of yet.
    11-04-13 06:57 AM
    Skype is going purely mobile and BBRY is sizing up BBM on the desktop...

Sounds like MS and BBRY have opposing viewpoints of where the personal computing market is going.
    11-04-13 06:59 AM
    I wonder if they'll be going the Apple route and making a bunch of new proprietary products.
    11-04-13 06:59 AM
    First let me correct you on the false assumption that I said all institutional shorts are hedged. You seem to have some trouble parsing meaning from written English. Possibly you could try re-reading my first post on this page. Nowhere do I say that 'all shorts are hedged'. Please don't put words in my mouth.

My only contention is that it's ignorant and dangerous to suggest that 'shorts need all deals to fail'. Anyone with even a rudimentary knowledge of trading would know this. It's one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this site. Since you seem to have some sort of understanding about what short selling is (as opposed to the member I quoted) you know that pro shorts are short from much higher levels. As you suggest, shorts are established for a variety of reasons, but that doesn't change the fact that when a tech stock goes from $90 to $7.84, the shorts have already made a killing.
    The institutional shorts are likely mostly hedged or will not see a lot of pain as they will exit with profits if it rises. What I think you don't get or don't care to get is that BBRY was a day trading stock with large volume and a lot of amateur day traders play it. I think there are a lot of un-hedged idiots still playing with fire on BBRY who shorted at 10 or less. Think of them as the opposite of us "idiots" here on this thread. They are the ones who will get burned if this gaps up, and nobody here will feel sorry for them.
    Last edited by OMGitworks; 11-04-13 at 07:14 AM.
    cjcampbell and bungaboy like this.
    11-04-13 07:02 AM
    So... last night's Simpson's episode was basically an Apple commercial.

Not only did they talk up their phones and tablets, they talked about how valuable the stock was and how it was continuing to climb.

They have the disclaimer at one point: "This is the last time we will kiss up to Apple. We're not even getting paid for this."
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-04-13 07:14 AM
113,256 ... 21542155215621572158 ...