View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Personally I'm fascinated by this whole thing...can't recall another instance where these tactics have been used.

The trolls can troll, the cheap shot wimps can shoot away but the coming weeks should be fascinating and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

Posted via CB10
    You and me both (and my "massive" options position too). I must admit I don't care anymore about BBRY surviving, but I really enjoy watching and learning from all that goes on with the Stock. It is a bizzare situation right now and I just can't see it whimpering out and going silent or no offer going forward. I am hoping for 9 or much higher and all before the 3rd week in December.

Bottom line right now is that we are all guessing. There could be conference calls galore right now or it could be crickets chirping in Waterloo.
    11-03-13 05:08 PM
    November 1, 2013, 1:58 P.M. ET
    BlackBerry: Dwindling Support for Share Price as Monday Looms for Fairfax, Says FBR

By Tiernan Ray

Shares of BlackBerry (BBRY) are down 11 cents, or 1.5%, at $7.81, after FBR Capital Markets’s Scott Thompson today reiterated an Underperform rating on the shares, and cut his price target to $6.50 from $8, writing that chances seem to be dimming for a deal to take the company private, or for an acquirer to step in, thus reducing support for the shares.
    Let's sum up.
    Deal with FF may nor arrive (a big assumption, let's pretend it's true).
    No one else wants to bid (another big assumption, let's double).
    => BlackBerry isn't going private and the SP will likely dive on (bad) news = we're back to Q2 E.R "normal" situation.

Then what ?
    At least they've won 2 months.
    In the meantime BBM-x is out with the success we know.
    BV calculation (from bottom 8 to top 16 ?) have been spread.
    Let's talk partnership now: Equity partner anyone ? [put your fav company here] ?

BlackBerry needs money, they're late. Not lost.
    Let the party begin.

edit: you know my fav.
    11-03-13 05:16 PM
    They need Money and TIME.

BBMX means nothing as a revenue steam right now. And unfortunately neither does BB10 or BES10. BlackBerry needs time to get these products acceptable to whom ever they expect to market them to. All the while they become more and more irrelevant.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 05:32 PM
    Longs only need one really good deal (and it appears there are many). Shorts need all deals to fail. Where would your money be at this hour?

Hope the pigs finally get slaughtered
    11-03-13 05:58 PM
    Today's the day, Gentlemen. Good luck to all.
    11-03-13 06:02 PM
    They need Money and TIME.

BBMX means nothing as a revenue steam right now. And unfortunately neither does BB10 or BES10. BlackBerry needs time to get these products acceptable to whom ever they expect to market them to. All the while they become more and more irrelevant.

Posted via CB10
    you might think that, tell me what you think of whatsapp, they don't have a lot as they do have dollar fee and 400M of users. But I haven't paid a single cent the last few Years so not sure where their money is coming from and some speak so highly of it. Another example came to mind is TLSA value at such a high number and shareholders keep pouring on. Valuation doesn't have to be all tangible, investors likes potentials so while xbbm might not generate anything and on paper it looks good, this is where some can't see forest through the trees. GL tm
    11-03-13 06:08 PM
    Let's sum up.
    Deal with FF may nor arrive (a big assumption, let's pretend it's true).
    No one else wants to bid (another big assumption, let's double).
    => BlackBerry isn't going private and the SP will likely dive on (bad) news = we're back to Q2 E.R "normal" situation.

Then what ?
    At least they've won 2 months.
    In the meantime BBM-x is out with the success we know.
    BV calculation (from bottom 8 to top 16 ?) have been spread.
    Let's talk partnership now: Equity partner anyone ? [put your fav company here] ?

BlackBerry needs money, they're late. Not lost.
    Let the party begin.

edit: you know my fav.
    Super, if that happens, I'll be quadrupling down. Guaranteed!

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 07:12 PM
    Tsla is way off its 52 week high

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 07:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    More like SP is way over where it should be.! Great car and I love to get one but still.
    plasmid_boy, fedakd and sidhuk like this.
    11-03-13 07:40 PM
    Interesting, I didn't realize Qualcomm relied so much on BlackBerry for revenues:

BlackBerry’s future still uncertain as key deadline nears - The Globe and Mail
    fedakd, jxnb, plasmid_boy and 2 others like this.
    11-03-13 08:06 PM
    It's about time.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 09:07 PM
    Longs only need one really good deal (and it appears there are many). Shorts need all deals to fail. Where would your money be at this hour?

Hope the pigs finally get slaughtered
    Fascinating. The shorts need all deals to fail, do they? Do you actually not understand that professional shorts are so far in the money at this point that they are looking at huge gains even if the stock gaps? Do you actually not understand that they've used options to hedge against a news driven spike? Do you not understand that the only people in danger of losing money on a short are the retail types who shorted 100 shares and won't be able to stick to their stops?

The shorts don't need any deal to fail because they are short from much higher levels.

The level of ignorance in this thread surpasses anything else at Crackberry. No wonder so many B-school types want to trade for the big floors. The self-styled advisors in this thread who liked your post should be ashamed.
    techvisor and m1a1mg like this.
    11-03-13 09:13 PM
    "The shorts don't need any deal to fail because they are short from much higher levels. "

One of the stupidest thing's I've ever read. All i can say is LOL! and welcome to my block list.

Fascinating. The shorts need all deals to fail, do they? Do you actually not understand that professional shorts are so far in the money at this point that they are looking at huge gains even if the stock gaps? Do you actually not understand that they've used options to hedge against a news driven spike? Do you not understand that the only people in danger of losing money on a short are the retail types who shorted 100 shares and won't be able to stick to their stops?

The shorts don't need any deal to fail because they are short from much higher levels.

The level of ignorance in this thread surpasses anything else at Crackberry. No wonder so many B-school types want to trade for the big floors.
    11-03-13 09:15 PM
    "The shorts don't need any deal to fail because they are short from much higher levels. "

One of the stupidest thing's I've ever read. All i can say is LOL! and welcome to my block list.
    It's unreal. If I didn't read this stuff on here, I wouldn't have believed that people could be so totally misinformed. The only question is - did they start off misinformed or did someone in this thread tell them that professional shorts initiated their positions at $8??

--------------------------------------

EDIT: The pattern of likes above suggests the latter...
    11-03-13 09:19 PM
    More like SP is way over where it should be.! Great car and I love to get one but still.
    It's basically Lotus and people think it's going to destroy GM, ford, Toyota and everyone else .

They have fans, but as we all know to well, it doesn't mean that everyone else will want one.

Didn't porsche do a hybrid? I could swear I read about it and the conclusion was awe.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 09:30 PM
    It's unreal. If I didn't read this stuff on here, I wouldn't have believed that people could be so totally misinformed. The only question is - did they start off misinformed or did someone in this thread tell them that professional shorts initiated their positions at $8??

--------------------------------------

EDIT: The pattern of likes above suggests the latter...
    Hehe, this is not only a fan's site, but some people are just so naive on trading. I would seriously doubt they are just kids or only traded BBRY so far.
    11-03-13 09:30 PM
    Hehe, this is not only a fan's site, but some people are just so naive on trading. I would seriously doubt they are just kids or only traded BBRY so far.
    You're probably right, but how could anyone believe that pro shorts are in trouble at these levels? Maybe they're unaware that the stock traded down from whatever, $90? They believe that people have piled into the stock short at $8 after watching it trade down from $80??

For anyone reading any of this who has been told or has come to believe that professional shorts are in any danger with their BBRY positions, please take some time to inform yourself about how the markets work, and specifically about how pros hedge their positions.
    11-03-13 09:42 PM
    One can take historical short data and correspond it to share price.

No offense but there were not a lot of shorts at $90 or $30 for that matter. Want to guess when? Your comments pretend much prove that you don't.

And what makes you the expert?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kfh227; 11-03-13 at 10:22 PM.
    11-03-13 10:07 PM
    You're probably right, but how could anyone believe that pro shorts are in trouble at these levels? Maybe they're unaware that the stock traded down from whatever, $90? They believe that people have piled into the stock short at $8 after watching it trade down from $80??

For anyone reading any of this who has been told or has come to believe that professional shorts are in any danger with their BBRY positions, please take some time to inform yourself about how the markets work, and specifically about how pros hedge their positions.
    First let me correct you on the false statement that all shorts are hedged against a large increase in the share price. The total open interest in the calls for BBRY is about the equivalent of 80 Million shares. (every 10,000 option contracts equals 1 Million shares) The short number is 146 Million.
    Many of those calls are way out of the money (over $20) and were likely longs speculating , (there are no leaps currently other than the jan 2015). Perhaps half of the total open interest is truely those short who are hedging themselves, that still leaves more than 100 million net short.
    Many of those short are likely short vs. an index or maybe a pairs trade of of other long positions like AAPL, could be some market neutral funds as well.
    Last edited by kadakn01; 11-03-13 at 10:24 PM.
    morganplus8, zyben, jxnb and 4 others like this.
    11-03-13 10:14 PM
    First let me correct you on the false statement that all shorts are hedged against a large increase in the share price.
    Many of those short are likely short vs. and index or a pairs trade of of other long positions like AAPL, could be some market neutral funds as well.
    First let me correct you on the false assumption that I said all institutional shorts are hedged. You seem to have some trouble parsing meaning from written English. Possibly you could try re-reading my first post on this page. Nowhere do I say that 'all shorts are hedged'. Please don't put words in my mouth.

My only contention is that it's ignorant and dangerous to suggest that 'shorts need all deals to fail'. Anyone with even a rudimentary knowledge of trading would know this. It's one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this site. Since you seem to have some sort of understanding about what short selling is (as opposed to the member I quoted) you know that pro shorts are short from much higher levels. As you suggest, shorts are established for a variety of reasons, but that doesn't change the fact that when a tech stock goes from $90 to $7.84, the shorts have already made a killing.
    techvisor likes this.
    11-03-13 10:24 PM
    One can take historical short data and correspond it to share price.

No offense but there were not a lot of shorts at $90 or $30 for that matter. Want to guess when? Your comments pretend much prove that you don't.

And what makes you the expert?
    Are you going by the short interest published on the financial pages? Do you actually believe that that figure represents the total short interest on a stock like this?

I'm not an expert. I just know when to keep my mouth shut and not talk out my a.s.s. when the topic is something I know nothing about.

Pros have shorted this stock and made their hundreds of millions. It's all over for them. What's so hard for you people to understand about this?? <<rude comment removed by moderator>>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11-03-13 at 11:36 PM. Reason: insulting members
    11-03-13 10:29 PM
    Are you going by the short interest published on the financial pages? Do you actually believe that that figure represents the total short interest on a stock like this?

I'm not an expert. I just know when to keep my mouth shut and not talk out my a.s.s. when the topic is something I know nothing about.

Pros have shorted this stock and made their hundreds of millions. It's all over for them. What's so hard for you people to understand about this?? Are you all that stoned on the Kool-Aid?
    it is very simple, if BB goes up tomorrow, the shorts lose and if BB goes down they gain. that is all there is to say on this subject. simple really.
    11-03-13 10:35 PM
    How can voting rights be properly adjusted if shares are "secretly shorted"?

No offense, but you sound like someone that spends most of their time researching who the real killer of JFK was or how the moon landing was hoaxed. Why not spend 10 minutes seeing if there is any easily available information that answers the question at hand. How accurate are publicly available short interest numbers?

What does the number 421 matter to this discussion just to prove you have some clue.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kfh227; 11-03-13 at 10:51 PM.
    11-03-13 10:40 PM
    you said "Do you actually not understand that they've used options to hedge against a news driven spike?"

a basic assumption here is that you are implying that they are all protected, you did not say some of them are hedged. The reality is the majority are unhedged. Have you ever seen one of the smartest shorts, Bill Ackman's losses on Herbalife as an example?

I don't normally engage in this manner, but to see you ridicule others is like the pot calling the kettle black. I have no issue with your opposing views, every company I analyze is based on a good, bad and ugly scenerio. All value investors focus on margin of safety and not the amount they will make. Heads I win and tails I don't lose much.
    11-03-13 10:45 PM
    you said "Do you actually not understand that they've used options to hedge against a news driven spike?"

a basic assumption here is that you are implying that they are all protected, you did not say some of them are hedged. The reality is the majority are unhedged. Have you ever seen one of the smartest shorts, Bill Ackman's losses on Herbalife as an example?

I don't normally engage in this manner, but to see you ridicule others is like the pot calling the kettle black. I have no issue with your opposing views, every company I analyze is based on a good, bad and ugly scenerio. All value investors focus on margin of safety and not the amount they will make. Heads I win and tails I don't lose much.
    it does not matter if you are hedged or what. if BB goes up you lose on the short leg of the hedged trade. and vice versa.
    sidhuk, bungaboy and kadakn01 like this.
    11-03-13 10:49 PM
113,251 ... 21532154215521562157 ...