View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I'll say it again.... Why would any other offer show up until there is a firm offer from PW? If he does not firm it up, they can offer a premium to the current sp and get it for less. At the moment, they would have to come in higher than PW's. We are talking billions of dollars here, not some estate auction so patience is practiced.
    If someone(saying company ABC) truly wants to buy bbry at 9+ say $10, why would he waits until PW firms his offer, by then ABC has to pay $10.5 per share, not $10.3 per share as now. Unless ABC knows PW could not finance and his offer will fail on Nov 4, otherwise there is no point for ABC to wait until Nov.4.

Well, if ABC just wants to bid below 9, then sure he would just wait for now, because the below $9 offer does not make any sense before Nov.4 anyway.

All tells that nobody wants to bid above 9 right now.

There is another possibility that nobody else wants to bid as a whole, and just wants to bid part of bbry and submited their offers, and it would be up to BBRY BOD to decide which offer to take: sell to PW as $9 or sell in parts.
    11-01-13 01:18 PM
    Wow, I cannot beleive there are no useful apps in the top 50 for either free or paid. Everything is either games or social media. Do people not use their phones to get anything done anymore?
    78% of all apps downloaded are games.
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-01-13 01:19 PM
    Face it, the expected bidding war has not developed - and there are no rumors to speak of. If BlackBerry has to reach out to Facebook it means there is nothing concrete. Or even jello. Just desperation. And unhappy investors (and pundits).

Monday will be depressing. No new bids. Nothing.
    11-01-13 01:21 PM
    If someone(saying company ABC) truly wants to buy bbry at 9+ say $10, why would he waits until PW firms his offer, by then ABC has to pay $10.5 per share, not $10.3 per share as now. Unless ABC knows PW could not finance and his offer will fail on Nov 4, otherwise there is no point for ABC to wait until Nov.4.

Well, if ABC just wants to bid below 9, then sure he would just wait for now, because the below $9 offer does not make any sense before Nov.4 anyway.

There is another possibility that nobody else wants to bid as a whole, and just wants to bid part of bbry and submited their offers, and it would be up to BBRY BOD to decide which offer to take: sell to PW as $9 or sell in parts.
    So Disney is looking at buying BlackBerry! That's would be great...

11-01-13 01:25 PM
    What's the significants about Monday? Why would fair fax make the deadline on a Monday rather than a Friday? Or any other day of the week?

Posted via CB10
    I'm pretty sure it was X days after the offer was made.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 01:27 PM

Because there is no way for ABC to know for sure whether PW has, or doesn't have, financing. By waiting doesn't raise the price at all. $9 is the current assumption. If they really want it, they will wait to see if $9 truly is the price.

This does not mean nobody will bid above $9, it just means that nobody will do so without knowing if that truly is the lowest possible price. Why bid higher if there's a possibility of getting it lower? That would just be a poor business decision. Take the patent bid war for Nortel's portfolio. Obviously people were willing to pay billions, but the bidding started in the hundreds of millions. Start low, move from there. Currently, there is no low set on the BB price tag.

Yes, this other possibility is definitely a possibility. Some may just want pieces so we will need to wait and see what transpires. If it came down to selling in parts or selling to PW for the whole thing, they would choose PW as their responsibility is to the corporation first and foremost.
    11-01-13 01:31 PM
    WOW - this is a great deal. Why has no one stepped up yet? Why are people waiting for the 4th, in the expectation that some great deal will be announced? What do you see that other corporations and prospective buyers do not. And the stock keeps dropping, making some superb bit less and less likely.

And yes, we all know how great BBM and their security is. No one seems to care.
    I'll throw it right back at you, "what makes you think that there is any sense of urgency in doing a deal with BlackBerry"? Why do you think a deal has to be done this year? We "might" have a deal in place by March of next year, but we don't know. There is no reason to get excited about Prem on Nov 4th unless he makes a formal offer. The stock can't go up "hoping" that he makes an offer. There is no reason for the stock to move a nickel next week thinking a deal has to be done. The media has everyone thinking that the company is for sale. It is looking at all possibilities including an offer to purchase which it doesn't have yet.

I don't see why everyone thinks we need to be sold just because the media thinks this is so. Prem can sell his position, buy more, do nothing or go back to the board and appoint Mike L as the new CEO. The sky is the limit here. There is absolutely no reason to think a deal has to be done until there is a formal offer by someone to purchase the company. There is no offer to purchase MSFT, AAPL or CSCO either, BBRY is in the same boat as these great companies until there is a formal offer to purchase, that is what gets the wheels of time turning, not pure speculation about some future event that doesn't exist today. The stock can drop to $ 6.00/shr while we fret about something that doesn't exist yet. If Prem states that he is prepared to buy the company, puts up the financing and makes it a formal offer, then the stock will move towards the offering price. Until then, it is really crazy of us to think the stock should go up.

In the meantime, BBM-X is doing very well, who cares, BB 07 handsets are firm as can be, who cares? We keep getting favourable news on BES10.1 deals and smartphone sales but who cares? We need to get past this Nov 4th event and deal with the tangibles here, an operating company with a right-sized business model and a fleet of 4 BB 10.2 phones with the best security out there today.

I must be the only one on this board today that isn't watching BBRY, everything else is more important to me until we get some solid news on BBRY. For all I know, we will close above $ 8.25/shr today followed by an offer from MSFT for $ 16.50/shr and the blessings of Mike and Prem. Who knows? Think of it this way, we already have an offer in place, it comprises of the existing shareholders and a new team of management at the top. Prem and Mike would support a new path for the company using us as their shareholder base. I like that idea. GL
    11-01-13 01:34 PM
    *Cerberus Discusses Joint Blackberry Bid With Smartphone Maker's Co-Founders, Say WSJ Sources

*Cerberus Discusses Joint Blackberry Bid With Smartphone Maker's Co-Founders, Say WSJ Sources : WSJmarkets
    11-01-13 01:35 PM
    Because there is no way for ABC to know for sure whether PW has, or doesn't have, financing. By waiting doesn't raise the price at all. $9 is the current assumption. If they really want it, they will wait to see if $9 truly is the price.

This does not mean nobody will bid above $9, it just means that nobody will do so without knowing if that truly is the lowest possible price. Why bid higher if there's a possibility of getting it lower? That would just be a poor business decision. Take the patent bid war for Nortel's portfolio. Obviously people were willing to pay billions, but the bidding started in the hundreds of millions. Start low, move from there. Currently, there is no low set on the BB price tag.

Yes, this other possibility is definitely a possibility. Some may just want pieces so we will need to wait and see what transpires. If it came down to selling in parts or selling to PW for the whole thing, they would choose PW as their responsibility is to the corporation first and foremost.
    That is what I said, nobody wants to bid above $9 right now. If someone truly wants to make a bid above $9, it is better to do it before Nov.4 than after.

BTW, actually I believe PW will get the financing, right now is not 2009, there is enough money outside.

Others are just in a wait and see mode.
    11-01-13 01:38 PM
    *Cerberus Discusses Joint Blackberry Bid With Smartphone Maker's Co-Founders, Say WSJ Sources

*Cerberus Discusses Joint Blackberry Bid With Smartphone Maker's Co-Founders, Say WSJ Sources : WSJmarkets
    This makes sense to me.
    11-01-13 01:40 PM
    I'll throw it right back at you, "what makes you think that there is any sense of urgency in doing a deal with BlackBerry"? Why do you think a deal has to be done this year? We "might" have a deal in place by March of next year, but we don't know. There is no reason to get excited about Prem on Nov 4th unless he makes a formal offer. The stock can't go up "hoping" that he makes an offer. There is no reason for the stock to move a nickel next week thinking a deal has to be done. The media has everyone thinking that the company is for sale. It is looking at all possibilities including an offer to purchase which it doesn't have yet.

I don't see why everyone thinks we need to be sold just because the media thinks this is so. Prem can sell his position, buy more, do nothing or go back to the board and appoint Mike L as the new CEO. The sky is the limit here. There is absolutely no reason to think a deal has to be done until there is a formal offer by someone to purchase the company. There is no offer to purchase MSFT, AAPL or CSCO either, BBRY is in the same boat as these great companies until there is a formal offer to purchase, that is what gets the wheels of time turning, not pure speculation about some future event that doesn't exist today. The stock can drop to $ 6.00/shr while we fret about something that doesn't exist yet. If Prem states that he is prepared to buy the company, puts up the financing and makes it a formal offer, then the stock will move towards the offering price. Until then, it is really crazy of us to think the stock should go up.

In the meantime, BBM-X is doing very well, who cares, BB 07 handsets are firm as can be, who cares? We keep getting favourable news on BES10.1 deals and smartphone sales but who cares? We need to get past this Nov 4th event and deal with the tangibles here, an operating company with a right-sized business model and a fleet of 4 BB 10.2 phones with the best security out there today.

I must be the only one on this board today that isn't watching BBRY, everything else is more important to me until we get some solid news on BBRY. For all I know, we will close above $ 8.25/shr today followed by an offer from MSFT for $ 16.50/shr and the blessings of Mike and Prem. Who knows? Think of it this way, we already have an offer in place, it comprises of the existing shareholders and a new team of management at the top. Prem and Mike would support a new path for the company using us as their shareholder base. I like that idea. GL
    Because all of the talk and no action results in uncertainty in the buying public. BBM does not generate revenue now, does it? What favorable news? That 1000 are sold here or there? The uncertainty is killing the market for BlackBerrys, their services and any revenue. You don't see that as an issue?

And if there is no deal and the stock continues its slide, the death watch (incorrect or not) will continue. Which will drive the stock lower.

No deal = more uncertainty. As someone who is long you should hope for certainty.
    11-01-13 01:41 PM
    That is what I said, nobody wants to bid above $9 right now. If someone truly wants to make a bid above $9, it is better to do it before Nov.4 than after.

Others are just in a wait and see mode.
    Not true in the least. There may, or may not be, interested parties, but whether they are "willing" to pay more or not is a moot point. They will pay as little as possible and until the $9 is firmed up, that low has not been decided yet. Just because they are ready to drop more than $9, doesn't mean they want to. That's like going to the store and buying a TV for $5000 2 weeks before boxing day when there's a possibility that it might be cheaper. Just because that $5000 is an acceptable price, doesn't mean that you wouldn't rather pay less. As I said, to get in the ring for more than $9 now would be a very poor business move.
    11-01-13 01:46 PM
    You still do not get my point. What I mean is once the $9 deal from PW is firm up, then the other guy has to pay 20 cents more to bid above $9.

Unless you say 20 cents(2%+) does not matter to the others at all.
    11-01-13 01:48 PM
    Because all of the talk and no action results in uncertainty in the buying public. BBM does not generate revenue now, does it? What favorable news? That 1000 are sold here or there? The uncertainty is killing the market for BlackBerrys, their services and any revenue. You don't see that as an issue?

And if there is no deal and the stock continues its slide, the death watch (incorrect or not) will continue. Which will drive the stock lower.

No deal = more uncertainty. As someone who is long you should hope for certainty.
    You would prefer that all of the players interested in BlackBerry send messages through their "reliable sources" to the Wall Street Enquirer so that we get our pablum today? The quieter it is the better. I don't want to hear a word from anyone, just the best deal out there is all I need. As for sales, BES10.1 is doing what it is suppose to do, draw in sales. This isn't Apple, we don't need to know how BB is channel stuffing their pipeline every day. I'm more interested in how ECC is coming along than anything else.
    11-01-13 01:49 PM
    For all I know, we will close above $ 8.25/shr today followed by an offer from MSFT for $ 16.50/shr
    MSFT acquired Nokia, maybe BBRY , next HTC ? Fully control android? Google sued over Nortel patents it had tried to acquire | Reuters

Where regulators, FTC?
    11-01-13 01:50 PM
    You still do not get my point. What I mean is once the $9 deal from PW is firm up, then the other guy has to pay 20 cents more to bid above $9.

Unless you say 20 cents(2%+) does not matter to the others at all.
    But they can't bid less now as the board would reject it. There is an LOI on the table. Until that gets firmed or scrapped, they would only accept a higher offer.
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-01-13 01:51 PM
    Anyone have the full article from WSJ? Cerberus Explores Joint Bid for BlackBerry - WSJ.com

I am not a member there so cannot view.
    11-01-13 01:54 PM
    But they can't bid less now as the board would reject it. There is an LOI on the table. Until that gets firmed or scrapped, they would only accept a higher offer.
    I agree with your first sentence and I actually said that.
    If someone does not want (or not decide) to bid above $9, then he has to wait until Nov.4.
    If someone wants to take BBRY above $9 for sure, then it is the best interest for him to bid before Nov.4.

Well, if MSFT/Google are not involved, my personal feeling is that the price would settle around 8.5 ~ 9.5.
    11-01-13 01:55 PM
    You would prefer that all of the players interested in BlackBerry send messages through their "reliable sources" to the Wall Street Enquirer so that we get our pablum today? The quieter it is the better. I don't want to hear a word from anyone, just the best deal out there is all I need. As for sales, BES10.1 is doing what it is suppose to do, draw in sales. This isn't Apple, we don't need to know how BB is channel stuffing their pipeline every day. I'm more interested in how ECC is coming along than anything else.
    So you are saying that no information is good, things are moving along nicely (with no information to support that because there is no information) and you are good with that.

Interesting strategy.

Guess we will or will not hear more on Monday. But I guess you are hoping for no information as quieter is better.
    chr1sny likes this.
    11-01-13 01:56 PM
    let's the fun begin!!!

bungaboy likes this.
    11-01-13 01:57 PM
    I agree with your first sentence and I actually said that.
    If someone does not want (or not decide) to bid above $9, then he has to wait until Nov.4.
    If someone wants to take BBRY above $9 for sure, then it is the best interest for him to bid before Nov.4.

Well, if MSFT/Google are not involved, my personal feeling is that the price would settle around 8.5 ~ 9.5.
    The thing is, nobody "wants" to pay more than they have to. They may be willing to pay more, but not want to. They will not bid until a low has been set, or they themselves set the low.
    11-01-13 01:59 PM
    So you are saying that no information is good, things are moving along nicely (with no information to support that because there is no information) and you are good with that.

Interesting strategy.

Guess we will or will not hear more on Monday. But I guess you are hoping for no information as quieter is better.
    All the takeover deals that I have been involved with were done without any leaks until they were done.
    So, silence doesn't mean that something is happening. But when something is indeed happening, there would be silence.
    cjcampbell, rarsen, Corbu and 10 others like this.
    11-01-13 02:01 PM
    Anyone have the full article from WSJ? Cerberus Explores Joint Bid for BlackBerry - WSJ.com

Other parties that have been considering a bid for BlackBerry include China's Lenovo Group Ltd. 0992.HK +1.69% , people familiar with the matter have said.

Cerberus Capital Management LP is near an agreement to jointly pursue a bid for BlackBerry Ltd. BBRY -0.95% with two of the beleaguered smartphone maker's co-founders, according to people familiar with the matter.

Cerberus is discussing a possible joint bid for BlackBerry with Mike Lazaridis and Doug Fregin, who were part of a team that co-founded the company, previously known as Research in Motion, in 1984. It is unclear whether others could join their effort.

The jockeying among possible bidders comes on the eve of a Monday deadline for BlackBerry buyout offers. The Canadian company and its advisers set the deadline to coincide with one for Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. FRFHF -4.38% to solidify its preliminary offer for the company. Fairfax, which owns a 10% BlackBerry stake and is led by former company director Prem Watsa, reached a tentative agreement in September to buy the company for $9 a share, or $4.7 billion.

The talks between Cerberus and Messrs. Lazaridis and Fregin underscores the seriousness of their consideration of a takeover of the company�even as such a tie-up would potentially eliminate a competitor from the sales process.

Cooperation between Cerberus and the co-founders could be mutually beneficial, in that it would give the co-founders additional financial firepower for any bid, and give Cerberus a big existing equity stake as a platform for its possible offer. Messrs. Lazaridis and Fregin, who publicly declared their exploration of a potential BlackBerry deal last month, together own about 8% of the company.

Still, the group, should it officially form, may not put in a bid for BlackBerry, the people said.

Other parties that have been considering a bid for BlackBerry include China's Lenovo Group Ltd. 0992.HK +1.69% , people familiar with the matter have said.

BlackBerry's stock price moves suggest investors have been skeptical that a deal will be reached at $9 a share, either with Fairfax or someone else. The stock has been trading well below that level, and at midday Friday was down 2.2% at $7.75 on the Nasdaq Stock Market�giving BlackBerry a market value of just over $4 billion.

�Will Connors contributed to this article.
    11-01-13 02:03 PM
    Before I leave -- Monday morning prediction -- "firm" deal from Watsa but with little equity and bridge loans to be repaid from cash on hand.
    11-01-13 02:18 PM
    Is this true? Can Anyone confirm?
    Nasdaq options market halted Friday:

Nasdaq Options Market to remain halted until close - Yahoo Finance
    11-01-13 02:29 PM
113,256 ... 21452146214721482149 ...