View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    for starters Prem has publicly stated he will have the financing, so kinda hard to dismiss that just based on the stock price volatility. in fact Prem has plenty of incentive to wait till the last moment to come through with his bid. it is called way more break fee and that is no chicken feed as a percentage of the shares he holds now. so, collecting the highest possible break fee is essential to Prem.
    Yes and obama said you can keep your doctor! Today is just another "buying opportunity"
    10-31-13 02:46 PM
    Yes and obama said you can keep your doctor! Today is just another "buying opportunity"
    well perhaps you feel it is better to make up stuff, but Obama is no Prem, so Prem will come through...he stands to lose too much not doing so.
    Obama would have lost his battle on healthcare if he said some of you have to get real insurance rather than bogus insurance...so two VERY DIFFERENT things here...
    Last edited by silversun10; 10-31-13 at 03:07 PM.
    bungaboy and techvisor like this.
    10-31-13 02:54 PM
    Hi Morgan; what are your thoughts on the 2.56% drop today?

Thank you
    10-31-13 03:12 PM
    d**n, NOK share price is almost the same as BBRY now.
    from 1.6 to 7.6, what a run.

bbry longs' best hope is selling the hardware dept/BBOS to lenovo too, except lenovo, nobody wants bbry's hardware dept.
    10-31-13 03:14 PM
    What happened at the end of the day? If took the options down and opens that low tomorrow, I might be in.... We are all a little delusional because NOBODY knows what is going to happen, we are ALL just one announcement from being fools or geniuses, anybody who thinks otherwise is, in fact, truly delusional. See there, I settled that.

The only thing that is not delusional is the Princess Bride. It's my wife';s favorite movie of all time so I have seen it many, many times....
    It just so happens that BBRY might have only been "mostly dead" we shall see.............
    10-31-13 03:16 PM
    I don't pretend to know as much as all of you guys but, for what it's worth, I was reading this:

BBC News - Sony slashes full-year profit forecast by 40%

The "Analysis" part offers this perspective:

"Yes, Sony's latest Xperia Z smart phones are selling well. But once again Sony's main profit centre is music and insurance.

The contrast with Panasonic couldn't be starker. Until last year the Japanese giant was haemorrhaging cash even faster than Sony. It lost $15 billion in just two years.

That forced Panasonic's management to make some tough decisions. They decided to get out of loss making plasma TVs and smartphones, and to concentrate on industrial systems: things like engine management computers for cars, satellite navigation systems and high-power lithium ion batteries.

It seems to be working."

I can't refrain myself from seeing an analogy between Panasonic's situation and BBRY's. Shouldn't the ideal path for BBRY look something like this: ditch the hardware part of the business through some form of alliance/partnership and concentrate on Software (BES10.x, BB10.x), Services (Network, Security, Cloud), outstandly creative BBM-x, Development/Innovation, M2M/QNX, etc. And restore the brand's image through some clever marketing!

By the way, I don't post often, but I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you all for making this an outstanding and fun thread. I have learned a tremendous amount on BBRY, the stock market, TA and a ton of other stuff over the last year and I wanted to show some appreciation to all of you for that. Special thanks to MP8 for opening my eyes to TA. Outstanding stuff. Et un merci tout � fait particulier � Super_FR for starting this thing, a while back!
    10-31-13 03:16 PM
    If you want to ask me a question, then stop talking about clueless.

I am not 100% sure if PW has gotten financing or not, I said from what I read, amico said they and some other funds are not joining PW's group publicly, also, based on the stock trading, the market just says so, and that matters the most.
    This time you call me clueless. lol. I'm pretty sure the market doesn't say whether or not Prem can get financing. "They" may not believe in it, but "they" don't have veto power over him so the "the market just says so" has zero bearing on it. lol. As far as Aimco, they are all for it if a solid business plan shows itself but as per de Bever. “I invest money for return and I’m waiting for a good business plan to invest in any solution that might be emerging,”. That isn't a "not interested", just a not interested right now. Did you also notice that they have been approached by 4 or 5 groups regarding jumping in?

Now, Fin, this is how you respond to someone who may not agree with you. Some information, a rebuttal, and a point of view beyond simply name calling.
    10-31-13 03:17 PM
    Hi Morgan; what are your thoughts on the 2.56% drop today?

Thank you
    Hi JLagoon,

I watched it drop too, some 4.0 million shares in the final 25 minutes or so. I assumed there might be some news at the close. Not too much I can say, it looked under pressure all day today, that 3-min chart looks as though it was receiving pressure from 1:00 PM onward. If there is no news pending, we have to believe it is a Fund dumping for the end of the month. That's the only thing I can think of is some position squaring for October. A number of stocks were under the same pressure today.
    10-31-13 03:21 PM
    This time you call me clueless. lol. I'm pretty sure the market doesn't say whether or not Prem can get financing. "They" may not believe in it, but "they" don't have veto power over him so the "the market just says so" has zero bearing on it. lol. As far as Aimco, they are all for it if a solid business plan shows itself but as per de Bever. �I invest money for return and I�m waiting for a good business plan to invest in any solution that might be emerging,�. That isn't a "not interested", just a not interested right now. Did you also notice that they have been approached by 4 or 5 groups regarding jumping in?

Now, Fin, this is how you respond to someone who may not agree with you. Some information, a rebuttal, and a point of view beyond simply name calling.
    OK, I apologize if I offend you.
    I am really not so sure whether PW could get finance or not, but the market says so, so I could not argue vs. that right now.
    We will find out on Monday anyway.

I am longing tens of thousands shares right now. but I know only if bbry could sell its hardware+ OS + free patent licensign to Lenovo, would BBRY share to trade above 10.
    Otherwise even if Mike L or cerberus makes a bid, the price just would be below 10.

Google's motorola unit is losing 250M per quarter right now, so is bbry's hardware unit(could be more without the service revenue cushion), I do not think MS's NOK unit will do anything better in the future. Selling hardware is losing money(unless you can sell huge volume like apple/samsung) for everyone. 250M per quarter, 1B per year is not small number for anyone, but only Google/MSFT could tolerate that, however, they do not want to loss additional 1B a year to buy BBRY hardware unit.

Google is selling their Nexus 4 5phone(2.3GHZ CPU, 1080P 5" screen) for $349 without contract right now, with the component cost+ shipping cost+all the other costs, I do not see how you can be profitable for selling that phone at $349.

Even bbry goes to private, I do not see how it could turn around, it would still end as selling in parts.

We better pray Lenovo could make a bid.
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    10-31-13 03:50 PM
    OK, I apologize if I offend you.
    I am really not so sure whether PW could get finance or not, but the market says so, so I could not argue vs. that right now.
    We will find out on Monday anyway.

I am longing, only if bbry could sell its hardware+ OS + free patent licensign to Lenovo, would BBRY share to trade above 10.
    Otherwise even if Mike L or cerberus makes a bid, the price just would be below 10.

Google's motorola unit is losing 250M per quarter right now, so is bbry's hardware unit(could be more without the service revenue cushion), I do not think MS's NOK unit will do anything better in the future. Selling hardware is losing money(unless you can sell huge volume like apple/samsung) for everyone. 250M per quarter, 1B per year is not small number for anyone, but only Google/MSFT could tolerate that, however, they do not want to loss additional 1B a year to buy BBRY hardware unit.

Google is selling their Nexus 4 5phone(2.3GHZ CPU, 1080P 5" screen) for $349 without contract right now, with the component cost+ shipping cost+all the other costs, I do not see how you can be profitable for selling that phone at $349.

Even bbry goes to private, I do not see how it could turn around, it would still end as selling in parts.

We better pray Lenovo could make a bid.
    Thank you. Now that was a more well thought out reply. I don't agree with it all but that doesn't matter. I can't say i'm right and you're wrong any more than you can.

Google selling that phone for that price is definitely at a loss, but for them, it doesn't matter. The revs they make from advertising and selling your metta data dwarfs the hardware component anyway.

I personally, don't know what would be the best option for BB but I do know that I would like them to stay whole. How they do that, or if it's even possible, is up for debate but it's what I would like in the long run.
    10-31-13 03:57 PM
    Fairfax Financial takes loss on investments | Business | Reuters

Fairfax has made a 3rd quarter 1/2 billion loss; is this company still ready to take over BB..hmm.
    10-31-13 05:15 PM

Fairfax has made a 3rd quarter 1/2 billion loss; is this company still ready to take over BB..hmm.
    Biggest takeaway from that is the part that this is due mostly to unrealized investment losses. Not real losses as of yet.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 05:29 PM
    Unless there is an official bid tomorrow morning, then it might be interesting to listen in FFH's conference call to hear what PW has to say about BBRY deal:
    TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Oct 18, 2013) - Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited (FFH.TO)(TSX:FFH.U) will hold a conference call at 8:30 a.m. Eastern Time on Friday, November 1, 2013 to discuss its 2013 third quarter results which will be announced after the close of markets on Thursday, October 31 and will be available at that time on its website Fairfax - Home. The call, consisting of a presentation by the company followed by a question period, may be accessed at (800) 857-9641 (Canada and U.S.) or 1 (517) 308-9408 (International) with the passcode "Fairfax".
    A replay of the call will be available from shortly after the termination of the call until 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time on Friday, November 15, 2013. The replay may be accessed at (800) 879-5206 (Canada and U.S.) or 1 (203) 369-3563 (International).
    jxnb and Bacon Munchers like this.
    10-31-13 05:33 PM

Well that's another thing they have in common... Is a good match.
    10-31-13 05:35 PM
    Biggest takeaway from that is the part that this is due mostly to unrealized investment losses. Not real losses as of yet.

Posted via CB10
    That was a really bad hedge, he bought the short hedge at 2010, when SPX 500's peak was <1270. now it is 1770.
    10-31-13 05:46 PM
    hey morgan and JLagoon, I posted a question at our other place regarding some TA stuff do you mind taking a look? thanks!
    Randeman, abouthsu and bungaboy like this.
    10-31-13 05:56 PM
    That was a really bad hedge, he bought the short hedge at 2010, when SPX 500's peak was <1270. now it is 1770.
    I haven't paid any attention to what his portfolio is like so I can't comment on it anyway. Regardless, every large investors have both good and bad years. The trick is making sure the good outweigh the bad

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk, rarsen, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    10-31-13 06:14 PM
    What I don't want to see is the company go private. If it has to go private, please do this at Book Value. Prem needs to step up here and make a firm bid, if he can do that, he should start buying additional shares to compliment the formal offer to purchase. And so we would pop to $ 9.00/shr on that news. I don't want him to get BBRY for $ 9.00/shr, I think it is worth its BV and could actually do very well with a partnership.
    Fairfax already said they are not putting any more money into the bid. With their losses this quarter, I don't know if they're going to start making big gambles.
    10-31-13 06:37 PM
    There were rumours that Google might be interested in BBRY. It might be Google management knew this lawsuit would be arriving:

UPDATE 1-Google, Samsung, Huawei sued over Nortel patents
    10-31-13 06:51 PM
    Fairfax already said they are not putting any more money into the bid. With their losses this quarter, I don't know if they're going to start making big gambles.
    Except that Fairfax doesn't make investment decisions based on their quarterly returns. They've pretty consistently been taking the long term view (i.e. years, not months), and seem unlikely to let their strategy be affected by unrealized losses in any one quarter.
    10-31-13 07:00 PM
    I have a bad feeling that we'll see BBRY in $6-7 range on Monday ... Hope I'm wrong.
    10-31-13 07:05 PM
    There were rumours that Google might be interested in BBRY. It might be Google management knew this lawsuit would be arriving:

the plot thickens...the easy way out for Google buy BB...
    Randeman and bungaboy like this.
    10-31-13 07:11 PM
    Doubly bad when your long calls like BBRY fail too. Losing on both ends. Does ff have to book or account for the mark to market value of bbry? This might tell us why financing news is slow. I speculated some time ago that he might be getting hammered on both ends losing on his hedges and bbry and was scoffed at since PW was too smart for that.....

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 07:49 PM

This is truly a good news for BBRY stock, though a little bit later.

Without this kind of patent trolling, BBRY's patents would NOT worth much.
    10-31-13 08:23 PM
    This is truly a good news for BBRY stock, though a little bit later.

Without this kind of patent trolling, BBRY's patents would NOT worth much.
    In this case, I wouldn't call it patent trolling. They bought these patents and utilize them. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't patent trolls those who buy patents just to own them and collect from/sue others who use them? That's my general understanding of the term.
    10-31-13 09:13 PM
113,250 ... 21422143214421452146 ...