View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    LOL, not sure if you really own bbry stock.

If patent trolling does not work, then how could BBRY patents worth much?
    Only if all the patent trollings work, then would the big 3+ Samsung come out to buy patents.
    Pay attention to the conversation… it's directed at Wi-Lan, a patent troll, not at companies that actually create and deserve the moneys owed for using the tech they created. Speaking of trolls…..
    10-26-13 11:42 AM
    http://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/matrix/?device=iphone

Good place to see bbm popularity status.
    Keep inviting your friends, make it first choice for all chat needs, go back to what's app if you have to.

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell, _dimi_, jxnb and 9 others like this.
    10-26-13 12:05 PM
    10-26-13 12:09 PM
    Good. Needs lots of media reporting on Channels (which nobody knows about). Once it exits beta it will be well reported on.
    10-26-13 12:22 PM
    Almost all of us have been deeply troubled by seeming marketing misfires over the past year. Just read this editorial that suggest all is not lost, but that BBM may prove to be a trojan marketing horse. There's been talk on this thread about this idea already, but still the piece is worth considering.
    BlackBerry CMO Marketing Strategy for BB10? BBM4ALL |
    Sorry, but I don't believe a single thing in this piece written by "Editor-in-Chief at BerryFlow and BlackBerry Brand Evangelist." The Super Bowl ad was a massive mistake and waste of money, trying to justify it now with reference to marionberries and song lyrics is a stretch. The QNX car launch was also a fail. At the time, many here pointed out how it could have been done much better.

For me and jmho, it's revisionist history trying to gloss over major mistakes. Does anyone honestly believe BBRY marketing has been good or effective? If BBM succeeds it will be in spite of the so called "marketing" not because of it.
    10-26-13 12:24 PM
    10M - 50M in Google Play (sorry if already posted!). Release in Africa probably helping out here and the first weekend of release should help numbers. Blackberry should report on Monday XX M within a week! (30M would be awesome, 40M would push all users over 100M!)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bbm
    10-26-13 12:27 PM
    Good. Needs lots of media reporting on Channels (which nobody knows about). Once it exits beta it will be well reported on.
    BBRY will, no doubt, broadcast to every single BBM user of Channels availability. Therein lies the beauty of being able to communicate with all those new converts. Or harass, depending on your view point.
    10-26-13 12:37 PM
    Sorry, but I don't believe a single thing in this piece written by "Editor-in-Chief at BerryFlow and BlackBerry Brand Evangelist." The Super Bowl ad was a massive mistake and waste of money, trying to justify it now with reference to marionberries and song lyrics is a stretch. The QNX car launch was also a fail. At the time, many here pointed out how it could have been done much better.

For me and jmho, it's revisionist history trying to gloss over major mistakes. Does anyone honestly believe BBRY marketing has been good or effective? If BBM succeeds it will be in spite of the so called "marketing" not because of it.
    Quite frankly, I agree mostly with you. I think having a Super Bowl commercial was a good idea, and yes, I think it was a "smart" add but advertising is supposed to reach everyone, not just those who "get it". There should be no reason to revisit an add and have to dissect it to get the message.
    10-26-13 12:42 PM
    BBM is the #1 iOS app in 98 of the 150 countries appannie tracks. It's well over a hundred if you add second and third spot.

App Annie App Store Data | iPhone Top Matrix Overall - Oct 26, 2013
    cjcampbell, Corbu, jxnb and 12 others like this.
    10-26-13 12:50 PM
    App Annie App Store Data | iPhone Top Matrix Overall - Oct 26, 2013

Good place to see bbm popularity status.
    Keep inviting your friends, make it first choice for all chat needs, go back to what's app if you have to.

Posted via CB10
    I see the Norwegians prefer . . . . . "Nose Doctor" LoL
    10-26-13 01:47 PM
    Quite frankly, I agree mostly with you. I think having a Super Bowl commercial was a good idea, and yes, I think it was a "smart" add but advertising is supposed to reach everyone, not just those who "get it". There should be no reason to revisit an add and have to dissect it to get the message.
    That's a difficult analysis.
    Facts are that Z10 didn't sell well when Thor made the "tens of millions " mistake.
    But what we actually don't know is why marketing (read advertising/promotion) has been frozen or cut to (near) zero.

I've wrote many times that this super bowl add was (supposed to be) a starting point. We had the start and never had the followings. Why?

I don't pretend everything was fine, but I find in the article pieces of explanation of how the story could have been set.

We don't know yet what happened under the hoods and what strategy has been set, including the (lack of) financial communication. I discussed about it with an expert (family, trustable) of the matter . What went threw is either they are 100% amateurish (given their record track, very unlikely) or they did it in purpose.

Why ?
    That's the question, IMHO, not "have they been bad or very bad ? ". Context is king.

That's from my awesome Z30.
    CDM76, sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    10-26-13 01:47 PM
    That's a difficult analysis.
    Facts are that Z10 didn't sell well when Thor made the "tens of millions " mistake.
    But what we actually don't know is why marketing (read advertising/promotion) has been frozen or cut to (near) zero.

I've wrote many times that this super bowl add was (supposed to be) a starting point. We had the start and never had the followings. Why?

I don't pretend everything was fine, but I find in the article pieces of explanation of how the story could have been set.

We don't know yet what happened under the hoods and what strategy has been set, including the (lack of) financial communication. I discussed about it with an expert (family, trustable) of the matter . What went threw is either they are 100% amateurish (given their record track, very unlikely) or they did it in purpose.

Why ?
    That's the question, IMHO, not "have they been bad or very bad ? ". Context is king.

I can appreciate that but to go back and say that the rough road that BB has had to walk was all apart of the plan is downright, way overboard, fanboyism. I, personally, don't understand why the public hasn't picked up on the phones, or why the press has done nothing but bash, ridicule, and make efforts to discredit and keep BB down, but to go back and analyze the commercials and way things have been done and put a positive spin on it, is no better than taking the good news and putting a bad spin on it.

With regards to the SuperBowl commercial, I am of the belief that when they committed to it, months prior to the event, they thought the US market would have launched along the same time frame as the rest of the major markets, so I don't think that was factored in.
    CDM76, Corbu, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    10-26-13 01:59 PM
    With regards to the SuperBowl commercial, I am of the belief that when they committed to it, months prior to the event, they thought the US market would have launched along the same time frame as the rest of the major markets, so I don't think that was factored in.
    THIS!!! I can't imagine they actually planned such a big spend with no product to launch and then they fill the most expensive real estate on US television with an abstract, frankly bizzare commercial. I get that the ad was conceptual and was somewhat artsy, but to spend that kind of money, to reach that kind of audience, with that commercial was a failure.
    Hopefully xBBM success will push BBRY forward and get them back into the conversation.
    10-26-13 03:30 PM
    I can appreciate that but to go back and say that the rough road that BB has had to walk was all apart of the plan is downright, way overboard, fanboyism. I, personally, don't understand why the public hasn't picked up on the phones, or why the press has done nothing but bash, ridicule, and make efforts to discredit and keep BB down, but to go back and analyze the commercials and way things have been done and put a positive spin on it, is no better than taking the good news and putting a bad spin on it.

Wasn't part of the plan IMHO. But something happened or a decision has been made at one point. Bad marketing is measurable when you compare expenses and returns. I believe (anyone with marketing expenses figures ? ) these expenses were near to the lowest possible level or maybe bellow that.

So the big marketing (company marketing) may have been set to favorize an acquisition, as an example. Like keeping the SP low and the cash treasure as high as possible. Henis said massive promotion expenses should be expected FY 2014 (implicit: not done yet). From my POV it never happened...

bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    10-26-13 03:35 PM
    THIS!!! I can't imagine they actually planned such a big spend with no product to launch and then they fill the most expensive real estate on US television with an abstract, frankly bizzare commercial. I get that the ad was conceptual and was somewhat artsy, but to spend that kind of money, to reach that kind of audience, with that commercial was a failure.
    Hopefully xBBM success will push BBRY forward and get them back into the conversation.
    I think that the best marketing strategy now is simply deliver superior products.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 03:43 PM
    Stupid CB App. Trying to read superfly's response but it's the last one in the page and skips to the next when I get half way through it. Guess I'll need to sign in on the work computer even though, as a matter of principal, I try to stay off that one on the weekend

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 03:46 PM
    this guy is saying 45mill new xbbm user by monday.
    Goodbye BBM Line, and Hello 100+ Million Users - N4BB
    10-26-13 04:02 PM
    this guy is saying 45mill new xbbm user by monday.
    Goodbye BBM Line, and Hello 100+ Million Users - N4BB
    I think he's more interested in page hits.. throwing out numbers without validating them :-) but one can always hope

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 04:08 PM
    I think he's more interested in page hits.. throwing out numbers without validating them :-) but one can always hope

Posted via CB10
    The way I always think of it is that if you think of crackberry as a partisan site with an editorial line tempered with a little realism, N4BB is like the step between it and the Gadgetmasters...
    10-26-13 04:13 PM
    Wasn't part of the plan IMHO. But something happened or a decision has been made at one point. Bad marketing is measurable when you compare expenses and returns. I believe (anyone with marketing expenses figures ? ) these expenses were near to the lowest possible level or maybe bellow that.

So the big marketing (company marketing) may have been set to favorize an acquisition, as an example. Like keeping the SP low and the cash treasure as high as possible. Henis said massive promotion expenses should be expected FY 2014 (implicit: not done yet). From my POV it never happened...

CJ, hope it helps

morganplus8 likes this.
    10-26-13 04:30 PM
    CJ, hope it helps

Lol... thanks SF. I got it. Brought my laptop to my "living" space. I don't disagree with what this last bit says, just with the article in question from earlier. I think it's hard to go back as say these were smart adds and by dissecting them, we can devise positives from them. That's all I was trying to say. If they were positives, I think we'd have a higher uptick in adoption of BB10 handsets. Either way, we will never know what underlying plans, if any, have existed over the last couple of quarters/years.
    Superfly_FR, rarsen and OMGitworks like this.
    10-26-13 04:35 PM
    I'm upgrading my Mac to Mavericks. U didn't think it was compatible due to it being over 5 years old but it is. I'm curious to see how well it works. Takes a bloody long time though. About an hour to download and now sitting at close to 40 minutes of install time with 36 showing as left to go. I think it will still be an hour yet.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    10-26-13 05:55 PM
    In the event BBM had channels, voice, and video calling cross-platform, it should easily garner half of the valuation Microsoft paid for Skype ($8.5B for 170M users). If we do have 100M users by Monday, BBM can easily be said to be worth Billions. There is no way with such a large institutional ownership, they tender their shares to Prem for $9! Especially considering the AMAZING success of BBM-X.

Personally, I think they are preparing for a joint venture to get rid of their hardware costs. The success of BBM-X must have many suitors' mouths watering . Way undervalued here.
    Last edited by fedakd; 10-26-13 at 08:30 PM.
    10-26-13 06:11 PM
    Agree 100%...Prem's ooriginal letter stated he was going to maintain and support returns for investors. If this ends in a partnership or sale of hardware with licensing of some patents I think one can argue he did that...the share price has been rock solid since his announcement

Posted via CB10
    Korepab, cjcampbell, CDM76 and 3 others like this.
    10-26-13 07:24 PM
    Ok... so now that I have updated my Mac, and although I haven't spent too much time exploring the new OS, I have to say it's pretty darn good. It's a lot better than the update I got the other day to my previous OS which really botched things and slowed everything down. This browser is the fastest I've seen to date. Like REALLY fast. Holy crap!! And, it's on 2007 hardware.
    10-26-13 07:52 PM
113,250 ... 21322133213421352136 ...