View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Isn't that $350 price tag just for the USA?

"MegaBlackBerry doesn't fit in the avatar box..."
    Canada is normally $20 more or so.
    Ribes Nigrum likes this.
    10-20-13 10:41 AM
    I wish the Z30 was priced around ?400. Just aggressively priced trying to regain market share. The Z10 is around that price in Europe right now. The Q5 is around 300 or less, which is a fair price. In my opinion a cheaper Z10 could lure people away from cheap Windows phones. The Q5 is not doing that job because the majority of the market wants a full touch device.

10-20-13 12:04 PM
    I wish the Z30 was priced around ?400. Just aggressively priced trying to regain market share. The Z10 is around that price in Europe right now. The Q5 is around 300 or less, which is a fair price. In my opinion a cheaper Z10 could lure people away from cheap Windows phones. The Q5 is not doing that job because the majority of the market wants a full touch device.
    This is my personal opinion but I'd like to see sweet-spot (off-contract, MSRP) pricing as follows -

Q5 - $300; free with contract
    Q10 - $500, $49 with contract

Z10 - $350, free with contract
    Z30 - $500, $49 with contract

I think BlackBerry doesn't want to play pricing-war because then it's just race to bottom. So, I think one clever way of offering cheaper pricing would have been:

Trade your old BlackBerry (any BlackBerry) + some money (say $250) and get a brand new Q10 or Z10 directly from BlackBerry.

This way, they could officially keep MSRP of $700 or whatever they fancy and yet offer it cheap under trade-up program. This would have easily prompted LOTS and LOTS of existing BB users to upgrade.

I think if they got existing users to upgrade to BB10, they'd find themselves in a very different place. Lots of app developers will get interested in developing apps.

I think they should do whatever it takes to upgrade their existing user base. Offer them cheap (almost at-cost) pricing under the guise of 'trade-up' program or something. Target 25% of existing users upgraded in a year and BlackBerry will find itself in a very different place.
    10-20-13 12:21 PM
    Mr. McKinnon is pretty much delusional. Nothign he writes about is really true. Still blaming the US media, comparing BBRY to Linkedin,Facebook Tesla, all companies of the future. Conspiracy theories about the CEO, BoD and PW. I don't think incompetency is the same as a conspiracy, but just as bad....
    Now he wants a government bailout to save BBRY from the marketplace. Returning Jim as CEO? The guy who sold all of his shares? Spinning off the BBM product they can't seem to launch and the channels business that is headed nowhere fast will help? Proven business model? Strong developer interest and sales coming? Fantasy land stuff.

I hope this week brings some solid buyout news that spikes the share price for all of you. I think that can happen and hope it does.
    the_sleuth and anon(4086547) like this.
    10-20-13 12:51 PM
    This is my personal opinion but I'd like to see sweet-spot (off-contract, MSRP) pricing as follows -

Q5 - $300; free with contract
    Q10 - $500, $49 with contract

Z10 - $350, free with contract
    Z30 - $500, $49 with contract

I think BlackBerry doesn't want to play pricing-war because then it's just race to bottom. So, I think one clever way of offering cheaper pricing would have been:

Trade your old BlackBerry (any BlackBerry) + some money (say $250) and get a brand new Q10 or Z10 directly from BlackBerry.

This way, they could officially keep MSRP of $700 or whatever they fancy and yet offer it cheap under trade-up program. This would have easily prompted LOTS and LOTS of existing BB users to upgrade.

I think if they got existing users to upgrade to BB10, they'd find themselves in a very different place. Lots of app developers will get interested in developing apps.

I think they should do whatever it takes to upgrade their existing user base. Offer them cheap (almost at-cost) pricing under the guise of 'trade-up' program or something. Target 25% of existing users upgraded in a year and BlackBerry will find itself in a very different place.
    I agree on those sweet spot prices. Indeed the trade up program should be used for existing legacy users to upgrade to BB10. Anyway in my opinion the upgrade program should be a part of the marketing message of BlackBerry, with more attention to it than there is in the current situation....

On topic: I believe next week will be interesting, since more potential bids are in the making. I do expect to hear from Mike L.

bungaboy, morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    10-20-13 12:55 PM
    Blackberry management have very bad intentions about the company IMO. Everything is being done purposely to drive the company down at this stage From hand sets pricing to screwing up the XBBM launch. I would be stupid not to see it at this stage. Shame on management . shame on media. For destroying this wonderful canadian tech company.
    bungaboy, Corbu and anon(4086547) like this.
    10-20-13 01:18 PM
    Blackberry management have very bad intentions about the company IMO. Everything is being done purposely to drive the company down at this stage From hand sets pricing to screwing up the XBBM launch. I would be stupid not to see it at this stage. Shame on management . shame on media. For destroying this wonderful canadian tech company.
    Cheer up!!

If that is truly the case, they'd still need shareholder approval.. most of the shareholders still see value in the company, which should inspire management to do better rather than worse. IMO of course

Posted via CB10
    fedakd, sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    10-20-13 01:35 PM
    Words cannot express how much i would like Thorsten Heins to be relieved of his duties. As a CEO, you are the face of your company to the public. Let's compare TSLA CEO, Elon Musk to BBRY CEO, Thorsten Heins. Of course, this is an unfair comparison because Elon Musk is as close as you can get to a real-life Tony Stark, a visionary. But Thorsten Heins, is doing deplorable job representing BBRY to the public. If he truly is still in charge of BlackBerry that is very, very disheartening. Shareholders do not deserve to be treated like this.
    10-20-13 01:50 PM
    Cheer up!!

If that is truly the case, they'd still need shareholder approval.. most of the shareholders still see value in the company, which should inspire management to do better rather than worse. IMO of course

Posted via CB10
    Sadly, I don't think the majority of shareholders give a rats *** about the company itself. At this point, they are looking to minimize loss, not grow. I hope I'm wrong but only time will tell. I'm of the camp that hopes they go private as a whole to regroup and take care of business away from public scrutiny. Seeing as I no longer have any skin in the game, I'm more concerned with the product I love to use vs my bank account.
    10-20-13 01:53 PM
    Cheer up!!

Posted via CB10
    LoL no issues with cheering up. Kind of hard let the bad driver drive me. I miss judged the management team. It is good company and they have their market. But the management is determined to screw up every little hope that share holders may have. The management team makes money quickly if the sell the company no matter what the price is. I would be voting no and i wish there is another vote soon enough to fire the management team altogether. Enough is enough.
    bungaboy, _dimi_, Randeman and 1 others like this.
    10-20-13 01:54 PM
    Mr. McKinnon is pretty much delusional. Nothign he writes about is really true. Still blaming the US media, comparing BBRY to Linkedin,Facebook Tesla, all companies of the future. Conspiracy theories about the CEO, BoD and PW. I don't think incompetency is the same as a conspiracy, but just as bad....
    Now he wants a government bailout to save BBRY from the marketplace. Returning Jim as CEO? The guy who sold all of his shares? Spinning off the BBM product they can't seem to launch and the channels business that is headed nowhere fast will help? Proven business model? Strong developer interest and sales coming? Fantasy land stuff.

I hope this week brings some solid buyout news that spikes the share price for all of you. I think that can happen and hope it does.
    Fear the Beard!
    sidhuk likes this.
    10-20-13 01:56 PM
    Cheer up!!

Posted via CB10

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This!

Misfortune seems to be with BlackBerry these days. Times have changed...so did the management. How ever based on the Globe article, I do think Jim B had the right or at least some good ideas and intentions to let BlackBerry step forward as communication device and software company. BBM for all was one of them. Maybe then already late but not too late. My general feeling on the media is that things are being overhyped. "Bad news" is being brought like it cannot get any worse. BlackBerry still is a financially sound company, just not a very big one in comparison with other players. They don't make computers, washing machines, televisions, media players and phones. No just phones and BlackBerry makes some good SMARTPHONES!

sidhuk, fedakd, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    10-20-13 02:01 PM
    Those were my initial thoughts but the thing is that the Nexus devices are not meant to be mass consumer devices. Google wants these to be developer devices, hence the low cost. Most mainstream consumers also don't know what a Nexus device is, other than those who follow tech. They also don't know the difference between stock Android and skinned versions by OEMs. Most Nexus phones don't become available for purchase from carriers until the end of their cycle, seen Galaxy Nexus and N4. Not all users know that you can buy these devices unlocked directly from Google. All Android OEMs will continue to sell the devices at the price they are now, unless there is a huge movement to bring device prices down. Personally, I am going to get a N5 because at that price point mixed in with the hardware and ecosystem, it is a no brainer. Also, I am not a fan of skinned Android and the stock experience is the best one out there.
    Are you saying that Google doens't want to sell too many of these phones? Don't you think word will get out? Sure it might take a geeky person in your group to buy the first one, but then they will explain to you how their phone is better and it cost $350 with no contract so they can use a $40 service price from some cheap cell provider. Word will get out. And Google might advertise this. Supposedly the Moto X is going to get some pretty big marketing behind it. I see print ads in a lot of places, but TV is supposed to be coming. That is an even cheaper phone.

I think this does change what the 2014 Android phones sell for. Samsung and HTC probably don't have a flagship phone coming out this year anyway. But next year they may have to reconsider their prices and I think lower them substantially.
    10-20-13 02:14 PM
    Isn't that $350 price tag just for the USA?

It was a leaked price and I assume it was just the US price. Normal markups for taxes and such should be expected in other jurisdictions. But the price is still going to be very very low for a phone that is going to arguably be the best Android phone on the market.
    Ribes Nigrum likes this.
    10-20-13 02:17 PM

Beautiful phone!!! Wish I had bought this one

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 03:11 PM
    Nice commercial for Z30.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 04:01 PM
    Fear the Beard!
    Yeah, maybe we need Tom Brady to grow a real beard too!!!
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-20-13 04:27 PM

It seems the Aussies can buy the Z10 for $299 AUD plus delivery.

BlackBerry Z10 4G STL100-2 (Black) | BlackBerry | Phones

And Q10's for $509 AUD plus delivery

BlackBerry Q10 4G LTE SQN100-3 (Black) | BlackBerry | Phones
    sidhuk, cjcampbell and bigbadben10 like this.
    10-20-13 06:00 PM
    It seems the Aussies can buy the Z10 for $299 AUD plus delivery.

BlackBerry Z10 4G STL100-2 (Black) | BlackBerry | Phones

And Q10's for $509 AUD plus delivery

BlackBerry Q10 4G LTE SQN100-3 (Black) | BlackBerry | Phones
    Sooooo...what's the verdict on the 30? I still have not had a chance to grab it!!

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 07:44 PM
    Sooooo...what's the verdict on the 30? I still have not had a chance to grab it!!

Posted via CB10
    I am really liking it. Got it unlocked. Have 2.1.0.575 leak installed.

So far so good.
    sidhuk and Shanerredflag like this.
    10-20-13 08:01 PM

I agree with you. I hope for firm offer this week. May the longs make their money back and more.

Sent from CB app on Android
    fedakd and rarsen like this.
    10-20-13 10:34 PM
    A must read for everyone here:

BlackBerry Search for Bidders Depends on Patent Stockpile - Bloomberg

A few interesting excerpts:

Given its connections to Apple and an average patent age of just 3.4 years, the portfolio may fetch $2 billion to $3 billion, according to MDB. That value may be lower if BlackBerry has already licensed much of its technology, said Erin-Michael Gill, managing director of MDB Capital. Widely licensed patents have less use for new deals or court challenges.
    Apple, whose iPhone is now the best-selling smartphone, cites BlackBerry’s technology 1,295 times in its own patent applications, according to MDB Capital Group LLC, a Santa Monica, California-based patent-investment bank. The rivals credit each other more than any other two North American device makers. Companies are required to identify competing technology to ensure they aren’t claiming something already patented.
    Patents last 20 years from the date of their application, making BlackBerry’s 3.4-year average appealing, Gill said.

“There’s 15-plus years of useful life to this portfolio, which is significant,” he said. “Anybody that cares about Apple is going to care about this portfolio -- including Apple.” Not all patents are created equal. In the typical portfolio, as little as 5 percent of patents have any real value as a fit with other companies, Laurie said. That makes it hard to predict what BlackBerry’s ultimate sales price will be, he said.
    10-21-13 12:02 AM
    I have feeling that out of dozen interested parties one of them will surprise us with the higher bid and take this baby over. Just like MS did with Nokia. My guess it will be about $11-12
    morganplus8 likes this.
    10-21-13 12:48 AM
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This!

Misfortune seems to be with BlackBerry these days. Times have changed...so did the management. How ever based on the Globe article, I do think Jim B had the right or at least some good ideas and intentions to let BlackBerry step forward as communication device and software company. BBM for all was one of them. Maybe then already late but not too late. My general feeling on the media is that things are being overhyped. "Bad news" is being brought like it cannot get any worse. BlackBerry still is a financially sound company, just not a very big one in comparison with other players .
    Financially sound companies do not last off 40% of their workforce. More than half the workforce if you count the earlier rounds. That's not media hype.
    10-21-13 05:21 AM
    Financially sound companies do not last off 40% of their workforce. More than half the workforce if you count the earlier rounds. That's not media hype.
    I'm not saying that's a good thing.40% is a lot of workforce and knowledge. Sure they rather kept al these people, but the cash pile isn't 200 billion. It could have been far worse, no money or existing and growing debts. BlackBerry management is restructuring the company for the future. Everything tied to legacy OS is not adding value in this vision. That's harsh for the people who are confronted with that fact.
    Media hyped the death of BlackBerry in my opinion. I do not believe in conspiracy. I believe in market manipulation.

10-21-13 06:28 AM
113,256 ... 21142115211621172118 ...