View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I have no BlackBerry stocks and I'm not good in this kind of stuff. To be clear: I've lost some money at the exchange a few years ago and never tried it again. I've read now about 3 pages over here and a lot of speculation is boiling up... some seem to have only their stocks in mind, some are thinking about the people, others about their beloved brand.

I have no stocks and I won't buy any. But I'm participating in a different way in this game. I'm spending the most part of my spare time developing apps for BB10 and I'm continuing full steam ahead! (Check my current project BaSA as a proof for my words)

When I compare BB10 with the other big mobile systems like Android, iOS or maybe even Windows Phone I have at BB10 the most value, the best multitasking, the best stuff to get things done, the development tools are just great and the devices are not made of cheap plastic. They feel really solid.

I believe and I hope BlackBerry will find a good investor which is able to realign the company to make it successful again. I'm betting with my spare time on this!
    10-18-13 03:38 PM
    Hi Morgan; do you think Mike L would bid above his SP average ($15 isn't, it?)?
    JLagoon,

Tricky question actually, Mike L could have sold his 26 million shares for $ 15.00 on many occasions, so what kept him around? I think it was the BBRY valuation that kept him there, along with the software side of the business. Jimmy jumped ship and blew out his stock never to come back for more press releases. The two see it differently I would suspect. Mike can envision a future for BlackBerry where they continue to play a role in the Enterprise sector along with hardware sales. He clearly doesn't like what Prem is doing and I see why. Who would want to see their beloved company strung out on debt and milked of ownership to the tune of 30% to Prem who will risk nothing more, not another dime, for the chance to run BlackBerry? Mike has no other choice but to make certain that Prem doesn't get his company.

So with that in mind, Mike has to know where Prem stops making offers, is it $ 11.00/shr? We don't know where Prem will stop bidding for the company but we do know that a deal that is done soon be others will leave both of them feeling lots of pain. Prem and Mike need to see $ 15.00 - $ 17.00/shr, or Book Value, to get the best dollar for their investment. The only way that Mike can pay enough to buy out Prem's shares, is to start buying shares in the open market today. If he could acquire 1/2 the float under $ 11.00/shr, he could offer much more for the balance of the shares from tight hands. I would think he might be thinking of buying shares ASAP here. Prem has left himself wide open for failure with his weak bid here. As for others, you can see how few Google shares it would take to pay for BBRY at $ 17.00/shr., not much. We are at the earliest stages of the deal, plenty of time to get a bidding war going here and Mike will be a part of it long after Prem steps aside. I think we can see some crazy upside in the weeks ahead here.
    10-18-13 04:02 PM
    Any chance all of these suitors are just members of the consortium conducting due diligence? Why fight to get BlackBerry when we can work together and get it for a steal of a deal.
    sparkaction!!

The due diligence is a smoke screen just to talk to the company directly about their proposal. I don't think anyone is looking at the books and expecting to see anything more in them than they already need to know to make an offer. Lenovo would be talking about the parts it likes and how a partnership would/could work etc.. The biggest players aren't likely to spend much time talking to the company at all, they would review the business, possibly without ever getting an NDA to do so, and see if there is a fit. It would be a huge leap to believe that each of the many players looking at BlackBerry are even talking to each other. Prem pulled a package together that slaps Mike in the face. So the bar is set at $ 9.00/shr and Mike has to beat this number to run Prem out of town. That should be easy. Mike won't be talking to MSFT, Google or any of the largest players and they will look at the purchase from a different point of view and not want to share anything until they have a long look at the assets. So there aren't many ops for these guys to get together and cut up the pie, a pie that everyone one of them want to have the same piece of.

My history of buying companies:
    We would buy small companies every year for our conglomerate, we would look at the books if they were a privately held company and barely spend 30 minutes doing so. All we needed to know was their revenue stream for 5 years and gross margins, we already knew all about their products and the scale of the business and that's all we needed to make an offer. It's a misnomer to think that dozens of accountants spend 24/7 studying the books for micro-cosmic data that will determine the future of the business. It really doesn't take long to understand a business and its products, especially when they are a brand name like BlackBerry. Heck, there are plenty on this site who know a great deal about BBRY already.

If we broke out the assets into their respective sectors, you could then ask yourself what would happen to Part A if it was no longer attached to Part B? When you do that kind of analysis, you quickly learn that there are few options available where Prem could end up with a workable solution for himself while selling off assets to others. Mike knows this to be the case and wants the company to remain together. Both of them are right, you can sell a couple of things, lease a couple of things out/back but it isn't long before you no longer have BlackBerry. Nokia has been a very good example of what to expect here, minus all of their debt of course.
    10-18-13 04:28 PM
    Its not advice its opinion. Take it or leave it like any big boy or girl would do and take responsibility for your own actions. Sheesh this is what is wrong with the world today everyone wants to blame someone else for their decisions and sue.
    10-18-13 05:11 PM
    At some point in time I hope one of the poor saps here that has followed your "advice" will sue.

LOL.
    10-18-13 05:22 PM
    At some point in time I hope one of the poor saps here that has followed your "advice" will sue.
    "Poor saps" ?
    Not sure I understand it properly, but sounds quite arrogant for people who got hurt and/or choose to exit at lost.

We're big guys and gals here and it has always been stated that anyone considering investment in stocks should use caution and grab diversified opinions. .

Should I lose anything (+/- $10350 actually) it would be my very own fault. And the sum of knowledge I acquired these 2 last years in this particular thread would balance at least by half this lost, thanks to the experienced contributors we have around here.

So please leave the legal stuff aside (and have a read of OP) and feel welcomed to share your POV if you like. But there's no one here that is giving advice, only people sharing experience and thoughts, with different levels of knowledge

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-20-13 at 05:05 AM.
    take99, Corbu, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    10-18-13 06:19 PM
    Nice insight Morgan. I was debating of going back in when it plunked to 8. Maybe if it does so again I will consider.
    10-18-13 06:25 PM
    Nice to see you around Kid

Nite all, big and old guy must sleep!

Posted via CB10
    plasmid_boy and bungaboy like this.
    10-18-13 06:27 PM
    And in 5...4...3...2...1

BlackBerry outselling Motorola and HTC

BlackBerry outselling Motorola and HTC | CrackBerry.com
    dusdal, cjcampbell, jxnb and 9 others like this.
    10-18-13 08:20 PM
    This was sent out by one of our BBM Channel subscribers:

Dearest Member of Parliament,

My name is Darryl McKinnon. I’m a Canadian and a strong supporter of Canada.

I’m contacting you today to express my deep concern over the current circumstances surrounding Canada’s titan of innovation: BlackBerry.

My biggest concern right now is the lack of support from Canadians and the government of Canada for BlackBerry, as well as the strange circumstances surrounding the current sale of the company.

The American financial News “makers” Bloomberg & CNBC among others, have sold Canada a story of no value in BlackBerry and we as a nation are believing it!

Americans support their technology companies through the Financial Markets! Tech companies in the USA trade at 100′s of times their earnings, years before they ever make money! These valuations protect the said companies and empower them to go out and buy real value, by acquiring other companies.

Linkedin trades at 650 times their earnings.
    Netflix trades at 376 times their earnings.
    FaceBook trades at 180 times their earnings.
    Tesla is over 1000 times their earnings

Canadian BlackBerry is being sold at 0.5 times their book value!

Prem Watsa Buying BlackBerry at Half of Book Value - NASDAQ.com

The sale of BlackBerry looks to be rigged, like it was planned out, well in advance of the situation being as critical as it now appears. The CEO and BOD installed incentives to sell the company. It seems as though current products are purposefully being scuttled to ensure a low bar is set for the current bidder.

Z10Stock2 blackberryq10wpid-facebook-20130921-225822.pngz30
    I believe the BlackBerry CEO has neglected his duty to shareholders, when he first set himself up to benefit from a sale of the company. He then signed a deal to sell the company, with financial obstacles for others to enter. BlackBerry traded at a higher price than the existing Fairfax offer, the day before the offer came. There was not enough time for anyone to do the due diligence. This deal was cooked up prior to being announced, to benefit only those in positions of power, neglecting long term shareholders like myself.

I believe the current BlackBerry CEO should be removed before a sale is completed to ensure its not a fraud!
    The government of Canada could request/recommend, Jim Balsillie to return as CEO to ensure this situation is handled legally and in a fashion that meets the needs of Canada by protecting Canadian jobs and intellectual property.

It would be helpful if the Government of Canada could show more support! The Canadian government could buy a stability stake in the company which it could hold for 2 to 3 years. This would send a strong signal to the enterprise market that they can continue to count on BlackBerry. Canada has a strong history as a fair arbitrator and protector of personal privacy! The message would resonate in the market.

Saving BlackBerry would be as easy as spinning out BBM and Channels into a new company, distributing shares to current holders, while BlackBerry retains a controlling stake. Do the same with Mobile Device Management, and BES10, if need be. This would create value and erase the myopic view of the company by the market. Offering up BB10 to other mobile manufacturers in China & India would increasing BB10 distribution. From there BlackBerry can remain public, right size, and move forward with BB10, Mobile Device Management, Software, Services, Social & Security for the mobile world, and so much more!

The technology inside BlackBerry will guide Canada’s future in the mobile world! They have a proven business model, they only need to complete their transition and right size the company. BlackBerry is not late to the market with their offerings, they’re early!

BlackBerry’s announcement of the special committee was beyond poor timing. Interest in the platform from developers was, and still is, strong and sales were coming. Any new platform needs more then 6 months for users to asses it’s value. BB10 has true, differentiated value. I can assure you of this. I believe this is Canada’s moment to show our resolve. To ensure our technology sector remains strong. We can do this. Success is assured. We just need to provide some time, in the form of support to protect Canadian IP and jobs in a modern industry.

Please support my effort to see BlackBerry remain public and Canadian!

My attempts to communicate via email, with BlackBerry Investor relations have gone ignored since August 16. First they responded saying we could set up a call after the coming earnings report. But since this report they have not responded to my email requests for information.

I’ve been an investor in BlackBerry for 5 years! I feel the pain of the current situation. But I, and millions of people around the world, believe in this technology 110%! I have no desire to sell my shares! Certainly not in a forced sale, where it appears the CEO and BOD, have scuttled the stock price to help facilitate the deal. If Canada can’t find a way to facilitate the completion of the BlackBerry turn around. Or looses BlackBerry to a foreign bidder. I fear we will always be seen as a second class market, unable to compete, let alone support our innovative companies.

Your support is greatly appreciated.

Kindest Regards
    Darryl McKinnon.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

A Letter To Members of The Canadian Parliament About BlackBerry | pfcsystems
    10-19-13 04:49 PM
    Where is BBMX? One more day to go, and Boulben's "within days" statement goes out the window.

Twitter users are also not happy, looks like they are trying to get #unfollowbbm to trend! What's crazy is that the followers of @BBM is going down!!!! This is totally unacceptable.
    sidhuk and anon(4086547) like this.
    10-19-13 05:09 PM
    Where is BBMX? One more day to go, and Boulben's "within days" statement goes out the window.

Twitter users are also not happy, looks like they are trying to get #unfollowbbm to trend! What's crazy is that the followers of @BBM is going down!!!! This is totally unacceptable.
    An Aussie posted on here earlier that BBM for iPhone is showing up in App Store. Maybe something is abuzz.
    sidhuk likes this.
    10-19-13 05:27 PM
    It would be helpful if the Government of Canada could show more support! The Canadian government could buy a stability stake in the company which it could hold for 2 to 3 years. This would send a strong signal to the enterprise market that they can continue to count on BlackBerry. Canada has a strong history as a fair arbitrator and protector of personal privacy! The message would resonate in the market.
    What the heck is a "stability stake?" As a Canadian, I would deeply resent such an irresponsible use of my tax dollars.
    leafs123 likes this.
    10-19-13 05:28 PM
    The BBM twitter account is following the lead of the company CEO, stay silent and say nothing. Quite embarrassing. For a company that makes products for people to communicate, BB's communication is non-existent.
    10-19-13 08:42 PM
    An Aussie posted on here earlier that BBM for iPhone is showing up in App Store. Maybe something is abuzz.
    He wasn't legit.
    10-19-13 09:16 PM

The following is sarcasm, but since Frank is 'out there'.....
    One of the most unusual things about Venus is that it rotates backwards from the rest of the planets in the Solar System. Seen from above, all of the planets rotate counter-clockwise, but Venus turns clockwise. Of course, Venus orbits so slowly that its day is actually longer than its year. A day on Venus lasts 243 Earth days, while its year is 224.7 Earth days.
    10-19-13 09:18 PM
    He wasn't legit.
    Figures. Darn it all

From my Z30 on CB10
    sidhuk likes this.
    10-19-13 09:57 PM
    What the heck is a "stability stake?" As a Canadian, I would deeply resent such an irresponsible use of my tax dollars.
    too Canadian to fail[BOX][/BOX]
    sidhuk likes this.
    10-20-13 12:16 AM
    Interesting read:
    (delete...already a thread created)

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 07:25 AM
    Well the Nexus 5 has been leaked with a $350 off contract price. Specs look good and Android 4.3 is fine. Sure I don't trust Google (I want to be the customer when I buy something, not the product to be resold again and again), but man that is a low low price for a flagship phone.

How can the other Android manufacturers compete with a company that is basically willing to sell their handsets at cost? Heck, Motorola's Moto X is going to look bad compared to this phone and Moto X costs $300.

Really it is going to get brutal in the handset market. Will Samsung even be able to sell its G S5 for $650? I doubt it. No idea how BBRY thinks it is going to be able to sell the Z30 for double the price of the Nexus 5.

By the way, anyone know when Verizon is going to release 10.2? I want to new run time setting before I get into sideloading on my Q10.
    10-20-13 08:35 AM
    Any idea if Google could implement BlackBerry Balance for enterprise users, running Android on the personal-side and BB10 on the work-side? Would Android on the personal side threaten the security of BB10 on the enterprise side?

edit: I am aware of the 'workspace' solution for Android, but I believe security is not on par with BB10?
    sidhuk and Superfly_FR like this.
    10-20-13 09:00 AM
    10-20-13 09:11 AM
    Any idea if Google could implement BlackBerry Balance for enterprise users, running Android on the personal-side and BB10 on the work-side? Would Android on the personal side threaten the security of BB10 on the enterprise side?
    You'd basically have to be running BB10 then, with the Android runtime just as we have now. Unless you boot from BB's secure bootloader, into BB's secure OS, you can kiss that extra security of BES10 goodbye.
    10-20-13 09:23 AM
    Well the Nexus 5 has been leaked with a $350 off contract price. Specs look good and Android 4.3 is fine. Sure I don't trust Google (I want to be the customer when I buy something, not the product to be resold again and again), but man that is a low low price for a flagship phone.

How can the other Android manufacturers compete with a company that is basically willing to sell their handsets at cost? Heck, Motorola's Moto X is going to look bad compared to this phone and Moto X costs $300.

Really it is going to get brutal in the handset market. Will Samsung even be able to sell its G S5 for $650? I doubt it. No idea how BBRY thinks it is going to be able to sell the Z30 for double the price of the Nexus 5.

By the way, anyone know when Verizon is going to release 10.2? I want to new run time setting before I get into sideloading on my Q10.
    Those were my initial thoughts but the thing is that the Nexus devices are not meant to be mass consumer devices. Google wants these to be developer devices, hence the low cost. Most mainstream consumers also don't know what a Nexus device is, other than those who follow tech. They also don't know the difference between stock Android and skinned versions by OEMs. Most Nexus phones don't become available for purchase from carriers until the end of their cycle, seen Galaxy Nexus and N4. Not all users know that you can buy these devices unlocked directly from Google. All Android OEMs will continue to sell the devices at the price they are now, unless there is a huge movement to bring device prices down. Personally, I am going to get a N5 because at that price point mixed in with the hardware and ecosystem, it is a no brainer. Also, I am not a fan of skinned Android and the stock experience is the best one out there.
    10-20-13 09:52 AM

Isn't that $350 price tag just for the USA?

"MegaBlackBerry doesn't fit in the avatar box..."
    10-20-13 10:05 AM
113,250 ... 21132114211521162117 ...