• Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Motorola Is Just Burning Cash For Google
    http://www.businessinsider.com/motor...AI_COTD_101713
    sidhuk likes this.
    10-17-13 06:33 PM
    Nope I don't expect that at all but did expect the news to rally the stock much more and hold. Silly me.
    think Ebay, think US Congress. when will you see action? at the very last moment. in the meantime jockeying for position.
    and right now there is not even a firm bid in. and so the wait is on, till somebody makes the first move.
    sidhuk and plasmid_boy like this.
    10-17-13 06:34 PM
    Motorola Is Just Burning Cash For Google
    Motorola Is Just Burning Cash For Google - Business Insider
    That is exactly why MSFT/Google/ and all other big US companies would NOT want all of BBRY.

Motorola burns $250M cash each quarter for Google, I would guess NOK would do the same thing for MSFT. 250M is not even a small number for Google/MSFT, that is more than 10% of Google's profit.

Right now only Apple/Samsung could earn money by selling phones, every body else is losing money and could actually lose more and more as smartphone commoditizes quickly. I would think Samsung's profit margin would drop like a rock in 2 years too.

In 2 more years, I would guess all smartphones have either 1080p or 720p screen resolution, what else can you do? 2160p? 1080p is already high enough for a 5" screen. There will be no big difference between each other, just like today's PC market.

Right now Chinese makers could sell their phone at $100~$150 (no contract) with actually pretty good specifies(close to Z10), in 2 more years, they can sell 1080p phones with under $150 price tag. I do not see at that time Samsung can still sell its phone at $600 each

The best thing BBRY could do right now is to dump BB10 OS and the hardware dept to Lenova and either keep the left or sell them to others.

HTC lost $100M USD last quarter and they have a good cost structure since they are based on Taiwan and manufacture their phone in China. Still, they are losing 100M+ per quarter.

It is just too obvious for everyone to see making phones could lose you big money.
    10-17-13 08:54 PM
    Thats exactly what i meant but someone else said that lenova is going to make a fake bid to "get a look under the hood" which im pretty sure that is illegal to gain competitive advantage. Im no lawyer though

What kind of clause would that be "Sure look at our books but you can't bid." They likely signed an NDA saying they would not disclose any info they learned as a result of their inspection, but beyond that I am not sure what you think they can do or what the issue might be? BBRY has to provide info to any potential bidder they think is qualified in order to solicit bids. Lenovo would certainly qualify, even/esp if it was all about the handset business, which will be, arguably, the hardest piece to sell off if they do a break up sale plan.
    plasmid_boy and OMGitworks like this.
    10-17-13 09:11 PM
    Slip
    A look under the hood is easy and hard to contractually prevent if you want to give up the information. Whatever leveno is doing it won't be illegal.

Posted via CB10
    slipstream89 likes this.
    10-17-13 10:25 PM
    What kind of clause would that be "Sure look at our books but you can't bid." They likely signed an NDA saying they would not disclose any info they learned as a result of their inspection, but beyond that I am not sure what you think they can do or what the issue might be? BBRY has to provide info to any potential bidder they think is qualified in order to solicit bids. Lenovo would certainly qualify, even/esp if it was all about the handset business, which will be, arguably, the hardest piece to sell off if they do a break up sale plan.
    and as we know from the situation between apple and samsung no company would ever breach an NDA, or heaven forbid, a court order. Would they?

There is no penalty at law for such breaches so why wouldn't someone do so?
    10-17-13 11:25 PM
    So what do people think of Lenovo buying the entire company? Good, bad, indifferent?
    For once, I believe the bellow is right and the main problem here ...
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png  
    10-18-13 01:22 AM
    That is exactly why MSFT/Google/ and all other big US companies would NOT want all of BBRY.

(1) Motorola burns $250M cash each quarter for Google, I would guess NOK would do the same thing for MSFT. 250M is not even a small number for Google/MSFT, that is more than 10% of Google's profit.
    Right now only Apple/Samsung could earn money by selling phones, every body else is losing money and could actually lose more and more as smartphone commoditizes quickly. I would think Samsung's profit margin would drop like a rock in 2 years too.

In 2 more years, I would guess all smartphones have either 1080p or 720p screen resolution, what else can you do? 2160p? 1080p is already high enough for a 5" screen. There will be no big difference between each other, just like today's PC market.

(2) Right now Chinese makers could sell their phone at $100~$150 (no contract) with actually pretty good specifies(close to Z10), in 2 more years, they can sell 1080p phones with under $150 price tag. I do not see at that time Samsung can still sell its phone at $600 each

(3) The best thing BBRY could do right now is to dump BB10 OS and the hardware dept to Lenova and either keep the left or sell them to others.

HTC lost $100M USD last quarter and they have a good cost structure since they are based on Taiwan and manufacture their phone in China. Still, they are losing 100M+ per quarter.

(4) It is just too obvious for everyone to see making phones could lose you big money.
    (1) The story is : apple is successful because they succeed locking people bottom up (the "ecosystem") and made their whole line of products (from computers threw smartphones to mp3 players) entirely tight together. They're (were ?) talented enough to overprice their device due to competitive and image advantage. Samsung catching the train later had to start with a ready-to-go (or such) OS that could meet aapl's OS. But it's clear that - even if they are late - they planned to switch to a proprietary OS (Tizen). (edited) To be clearer, the ones who will succeed will provide the full monthy: from OS to devices.

(2) We live in a "marketing" world and - besides emerging markets - no one wants to sport a cheap Chinese phone as of date. More, these phones nowhere compare in terms of reliability, quality and durability. People buying these devices will never buy a high end device. But they will help high margins, because they will create a high demand for high standards components and any manufacturer will gain from that.

(3) You mean : simply close ? BB10 is a platform, not a device OS. You can't fragment this. Plus, I believe they cannot afford either to bin their "bottom up security" paradigm; they have to control the hardware. They can contract external resources to build them, but cannot abandon R&D.

(4) Not quite : When I agree making phones may not be anymore a center for profits and even could be at cost, it is a mandatory ticket if you want to be in the top list. But you have to finance it with attached services and licenses ... and keep a high quality and long life duration (current BB devices are ok for up to 3-4+ yrs of usage if you're not hyped to death). There is the key.

... IMvHO.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-18-13 at 04:11 AM.
    10-18-13 01:41 AM
    A partner with vision would be needed. Some partners would make for a bad mix.
    Any favorites? I'd like to see Samsung, Lenovo or Amazon step forward.
    Posted via CB10
    Ideal partner ? Did you ask ?
    Make a combination of MSFT and SAP (could you give me a pinch of Oracle ?) and what we'd have is an unmatchable #1 for Enterprises. Keep the company public and move back on tracks with redefined strategy aimed solely to enterprises. The deal includes a non aggressive strategy on consumers market, where BB opens the "voie royale" for MSFT.

ok,ok, stil dreaming pink
    _dimi_, plasmid_boy, jxnb and 4 others like this.
    10-18-13 01:44 AM
    Thats exactly what i meant but someone else said that lenova is going to make a fake bid to "get a look under the hood" which im pretty sure that is illegal to gain competitive advantage. Im no lawyer though
    People usually don't sign NDAs to look under the hood for competitive advantage, because most NDAs contain clauses that prevent you from working on anything that you learn as you look under the hood. So, unless you are really serious, you wouldn't sign an NDA.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 01:51 AM
    People usually don't sign NDAs to look under the hood for competitive advantage, because most NDAs contain clauses that prevent you from working on anything that you learn as you look under the hood. So, unless you are really serious, you wouldn't sign an NDA.
    Um this NDA would be all about fiscal information and would not include any technical secrets. You didn't think that they would expose source code or design documents did you?
    10-18-13 02:00 AM
    Um this NDA would be all about fiscal information and would not include any technical secrets. You didn't think that they would expose source code or design documents did you?
    Is it?
    Maybe that's true, but why would you only want to look at financial stuff when you are buying a tech company. Don't you need to know the technology and future prospects?

Posted via CB10
    jxnb, bungaboy and abouthsu like this.
    10-18-13 02:07 AM
    Is it?
    Maybe that's true, but why would you only want to look at financial stuff when you are buying a tech company. Don't you need to know the technology and future prospects?

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure BlackBerry will be showcasing their Beta programs in order to make the company more attractive. They won't be revealing any big secrets, because there simply aren't many aside from the financial side (perhaps!). We all have an idea of where mobile computing is heading towards.. and we know what BlackBerry's strengths / weaknesses are.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 05:35 AM
    Not necessarily so. If they are looking to integrate BBRY products they may well be granted access to certain design/programming and other teams, esp for compatibility type issues. It gets a little sticky, but generally they can at least make sure there would be no obvious problems. If they get closer on terms they might be permitted to see snippets of source code or other trade secrets. It depends....
    10-18-13 07:28 AM
    (1) The story is : apple is successful because they succeed locking people bottom up (the "ecosystem") and made their whole line of products (from computers threw smartphones to mp3 players) entirely tight together. They're (were ?) talented enough to overprice their device due to competitive and image advantage. Samsung catching the train later had to start with a ready-to-go (or such) OS that could meet aapl's OS. But it's clear that - even if they are late - they planned to switch to a proprietary OS (Tizen). (edited) To be clearer, the ones who will succeed will provide the full monthy: from OS to devices.

(2) We live in a "marketing" world and - besides emerging markets - no one wants to sport a cheap Chinese phone as of date. More, these phones nowhere compare in terms of reliability, quality and durability. People buying these devices will never buy a high end device. But they will help high margins, because they will create a high demand for high standards components and any manufacturer will gain from that.

(3) You mean : simply close ? BB10 is a platform, not a device OS. You can't fragment this. Plus, I believe they cannot afford either to bin their "bottom up security" paradigm; they have to control the hardware. They can contract external resources to build them, but cannot abandon R&D.

(4) Not quite : When I agree making phones may not be anymore a center for profits and even could be at cost, it is a mandatory ticket if you want to be in the top list. But you have to finance it with attached services and licenses ... and keep a high quality and long life duration (current BB devices are ok for up to 3-4+ yrs of usage if you're not hyped to death). There is the key.

... IMvHO.
    1. samsung/apple have big profit because they sell $600 phones in volume, apple sells 30M $500-$600 range phone a quarter comparing to 1.5M BB10 phone a quarter. I did not say early that Apple would be in a better shape than samsung in the future as you said apple just locks people(fans) into their eco-system. But for samsung, they do not have this advantage, people can easily switch to other cheap chinese makers. Still Apple will be affected.

2. cheap chinese maker? guess you never use a chinese phone yet, iPhone is made in China too, so the technology on how to build the hardware part is fully known to chinese. It is just a matter of time.

3. BBRY as a company has no hope in the future, it has to sell itself(probably in part) asap to create maximum shareholder value,

4. not like some delusional fans said, it does not matter whoever buys BBRY, the phone business has to get rid of first, otherwise it will burns all BBRY's cash quickly, right now BBRY could still control its operating loss under $200M is because it has a big cushion from service revenue, as you see, service revenue is dropping 12% quarter per quarter, with this speed, the cushion will be gone soon. I do not see it makes any sense if you could only sell 1M units phone per quarter.
    10-18-13 08:21 AM
    OT:

Fear the Beard!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-fear-beard.jpg
    sidhuk likes this.
    10-18-13 08:38 AM
    Wow,.. AMD made .5billion profit and the shares drop .50cents. Wonder what Wall Street expectations were
    10-18-13 08:39 AM
    Wow,.. AMD made .5billion profit and the shares drop .50cents. Wonder what Wall Street expectations were
    Street didn't like the next quarter outlook.

"AMD plunged 9% after revealing its fourth quarter sales may fall short of estimates off weaker PC demand.

Bloomberg reports the company raked in $48 million in profit for the third quarter, along with a 15% boost in sales. However, the company predicts $1.49 billion in revenue for the fourth quarter. Analysts were estimating revenue of $1.52 billion.

AMD is heavily invested in the next wave of video game consoles, having built processors for Sony's PlayStation 4, Microsoft's Xbox One and Nintendo's Wii U."
    Last edited by Jahcure; 10-18-13 at 09:18 AM.
    10-18-13 08:45 AM
    holy shiit..psdv down 50% since yesterday's open. hope morgan and the rest got out before yesterday's close. looking for an entry point now!
    10-18-13 09:00 AM
    AMD is a financially crappy company. Their historical FCF metrics are horrible.

Posted via CB10
    the_sleuth likes this.
    10-18-13 09:09 AM
    **** Google 1000+ now, sold afterhour at 941.
    10-18-13 09:25 AM
    Googles up - mobile ads
    Facebooks up - mobile ads
    Twitter IPO - mobile ads
    Soon you will need a 10 GB Data plan just for all the ads
    10-18-13 09:33 AM
    Googles up - mobile ads
    Facebooks up - mobile ads
    Twitter IPO - mobile ads
    Soon you will need a 10 GB Data plan just for all the ads
    And some good ad block plug ins to block all that spyware coming from them. This is getting insane.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 09:58 AM
    And some good ad block plug ins to block all that spyware coming from them. This is getting insane.

Posted via CB10
    LOL, when you do a google search, I guess you can block the ADs on the top and the right side of your screen?
    10-18-13 10:07 AM
    LOL, when you do a google search, I guess you can block the ADs on the top and the right side of your screen?
    No but you can block the adds in places like YouTube.
    10-18-13 10:47 AM
113,256 ... 21112112211321142115 ...